November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November Chat

Wow, that month flew by quickly - didn't it? Didn' t have many revelers last night. Maybe 15 - but that is a lot more than in past years. I already packed away all the leftover candy not to be tempted. It is going straight to my office.
    We were supposed to visit friends in RI today, but our friend got a call yesterday morning, that her brother had died unexpectedly. So they were off to CA last night. So, now we have a day "with nothing to do." Well, there is always something to do in a big house like this.
    Happy November everyone - stay healthy! - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November Chat

Well, you are an early bird, Pingo!  I just rolled out of bed, thinking I had really laid there a bit too long - then looked at the time on the TV box and realized I could have laid there another hour and been OK!  Forgot all about the time changing last night.

Still having a tough time getting on the boards - so slow.  I type in the address instead of using my "favorites" and then do the click on "edit profile" and backtrack from there.

Dreamed about trick or treaters last night, I think it was a dream - banging on the door late and it was a group of teens who turned up their noses at M&Ms! Hope it was not really someone banging on the door, that's not a good sign after 10:30 at night.

Not sure what's up for the day, whether or not there'll be drop in company.   Looks kind of dreary out there.  Sorry your plans for RI were cancelled, especially the circumstances.

Icer, how did the monster hands go over?  I can always count on my 2 boys' families to dig right into the plate of cookies as soon as I drop them off.  One of my young grandsons had a new friend over who I had not met before, and he was fascinated first with what they call me, and then that I had made the cookies!  Good for the old morale.  The rest of them take the cookies, poems, etc. for granted.  "Oh yeah, I saw it."  Hmmm.  G.T. did construct one and sent it back within half an hour, but it was not printable here since it involves a troublesome person in their neighborhood.  He is funny tho.  Wish I had his quick wit.

Happy Sunday morning everyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wow - November already!  Today will be an extra long day with the changing of the clocks.  November isn't my favorite month, as it just is so dark.  Oh well, hopefully we can keep the snow at bay!

Have a good day everyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Happy All Saints Day. Does anyone celebrate that one anymore?

The hands were a hit..Although some of the boys got a little fresh with them. Who knew this seemingly innocent cookie could provide a source of vernacular. I was a little red-in-the- face to see the hand with some fingers missing ,being hailed throughout the neighborhood. I think I can shoulder the embarrassment.

I ended up with a terrible headache yesterday, I took an Excedrine migraine this a.m so I am weak but functional. I think I will keep my black nail polish on, I am that unambitious.

Now I think I will go straight to the coach,,,I'll be in touch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, sorry to hear you are not well. I was not feeling great last night either. Not a headache but restlessness. Couldn't find a way to sleep - tossing and turning. I feel it is the change of weather. Just too hot for this season. Slept with several windows open, but didn't help much. tt, that is why I was such an early bird. Just couldn't stay in my bed. I will probably go in for a nap later today. Just love Sunday naps, a luxury I usually don't have during the work week.
    Speedy recovery Icer. Hope you feel better soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks Pingo, It really is no big deal. I think its the weather too. We slept with the windows open too!

Princess, you bring up a point that I have noticed for years. November, the amount of sun we are exposed to greatly diminishes. I ofter wonder if that affect our over all mood.

I think a nap today sounds lovely

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer.  Sorry about your headache - could it be a chocoholic one?  I used to get migraines when I overindulged in chocolate or wine or both!  Always loved the combination of chocolate and wine.

The sun has made its appearance, but I truly was hoping for the dreary day, I'd be more apt to get something done.  Of course, I'm not even dressed yet, so that's a barometer of how my day is going to go!

Laughed at the story of the teen boys adapting your hand cookies.  Boys will be boys at that age.  Mine probably would have done the same - without me ever knowing it, of course.  As time goes on I find more and more "I never knew"!

I do remember that it is All Saints Day, tho I don't go to mass.  All Saints is probably one of the few dates of holy days of obligation that I do remember.  I plan to have a angelic poem written for St. Peter when I get to the Pearly Gate to gain entrance - blinding him to all the days of holy obligation I missed!

Feel better. Just realized I haven't even had breakfast yet!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ha tt, you made me laugh loud - so loud, that Mr. P came running to ask if I was ok. Had him read your post, but of course he could not connect, as he doesn't know any of us and how silly we can be sometimes. But this is what our friendships are for. Bless you all!
    The only reason, I would remember All Saints Day is, that as my children went to Catholic schools and always had the day off. Which was kind of nice after a late night of TOT.
    My house is very hot from yesterday, so I have my sliders open and even sat on my deck for 10 minutes to get in my sunshine vitamin. Just lovely. Pretty soon all the furniture will be gone (when the boys come home for TG to help), and I will not have that luxury any longer, but of course, the pile of snow will be 3 feet high there.
    Just received The Saturday Evening Post yesterday. Would you know, they have a great article on how and what to feed different birds. I think they printed that article just for me - the newcomer in bird feeding.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Just received The Saturday Evening Post yesterday. Would you know, they have a great article on how and what to feed different birds. I think they printed that article just for me - the newcomer in bird feeding. "

Meant to tell you, Pingo.  On one of the news stations a couple of nights ago where readers can email in questions to the weatherman, 2 or 3 different people emailed in asking, "Where have all the birds gone?"  One woman had 6 different feeders in her yard and said it usually is like Grand Central Station, and that this year the seed is all rotting and starting to sprout, no birds.  The weatherman said they are still around, just two possible explanations:  1)  all the rain we had has resulted in an abundance of wild food that they can eat without having to come near houses, and 2) because of the rain there was not as good opportunity as usual for dry nesting material and places, and so there may not have been as many new baby birds born as usual.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

"The weatherman said they are still around, just two possible explanations:  1)  all the rain we had has resulted in an abundance of wild food that they can eat without having to come near houses, and 2) because of the rain there was not as good opportunity as usual for dry nesting material and places, and so there may not have been as many new baby birds born as usual."

tt, that actually makes lot of sense. I tend to believe more, it is due to the lack of baby birds. We never had feeders in the past in our yard and there were still plenty of birds around feeding on our natural wild food. So, next year we better put out plenty of nesting material. Thanks for the info.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A nice sunny morning - a good day to get out and poke the stores.  Starting to think of Christmas basket fillers and have a couple of places in mind today, that I don't usually go to.  Waiting for reasonable time to call my friend in Danvers.  She calls here around 8'ish, but since she lives with a married daughter's family, don't always dare to call her quite so early.

Talking with my son yesterday who has the 5 yr. old daughter, we may have another budding writer (I hope).  He said when they walked the kids up to the neighborhood houses in their costumes for trick or treat, and someone came to the door, she would point out her finger and say, "There was a knock on the door - but when it was opened, NO ONE was there - - - -!"  Of course their neighbors would all say something like, "Oh stop.  You're scaring me!"  and she would be absolutely delighted with herself!  I'll have to consciously write a poem now and then of words at her reading level and mail them off to her - just to encourage those creative juices flowing.

Haven't had my coffee yet, so will get a go on and water my plants too, something I keep forgetting to do  Hope you all have a good day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, so interesting about the birds.  We thought it was our puppy that scared them all away, but maybe not.  Of course, she IS a bird dog and birds aren't dumb so I don't know...

What a beautiful day!  I worked with DH on the kennel for Gracie this weekend.  I used one of his tools to round the tops of the fence boards.  It was nervewracking at first, but by the 10th one, I was pretty good, and it wasn't like they had to be perfect.  I think he finds it sexy to see me chiseling away with his power tools.  <blush /> 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]tt, so interesting about the birds.  We thought it was our puppy that scared them all away, but maybe not.  Of course, she IS a bird dog and birds aren't dumb so I don't know... What a beautiful day!  I worked with DH on the kennel for Gracie this weekend.  I used one of his tools to round the tops of the fence boards.  It was nervewracking at first, but by the 10th one, I was pretty good, and it wasn't like they had to be perfect.  I think he finds it sexy to see me chiseling away with his power tools.  <blush /> 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

When I was single I always used to say, " If you want to attact a man just go out in the yard with a chain saw or something...men will flock around you

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

kar, this is so cute! I know, Mr. P is so happy and excited, when I help him with "man's work". I really don't do much - like you manning the whatever tool you used - but I think my presence is what he needs.
    Saturday we vacuumed the intire house together. We have a central vac. Unfortunate we got a commercial vac (there are much lighter ones around)  and I just can' t move that heavy hose any more. So, I moved things for him (chairs, plants etc.), and he ran the vac. He hates to move the stuff, I can't vac - so we were a pretty good team. But even just changing one of the outside light bulbs, he is happy, whenever I just stand there holding the tools and the box. Ha! Anything to make him happy.
    I am sure you are anxious to get Gracie's kennel done, before it gets really cold, so she can get used to be outside, before it gets too cold. I just hope it will work for you. But I am sure she must be hopping around, while you are doing this work - so by the time it is all done, she will be used to it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you are a dear.  You always make me smile and cheer me when I need it. :)

Icer, that's hysterical.  I never knew that before I met DH.  I helped him grade the patio foundation with his transit.  That was a tandem job, too.  Extra special.  Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, my shopping expedition went well.  Friend is still battling a terrible cold, so we didn't meet, but I did get to the stores I wanted and am really pleased with the treasures I found for the baskets.  I'm on a roll now.  Even picked up a small grid bottom fry pan for myself, that I love.  So many of them, even tho brand names, have in small print, "made in China", that I almost didn't even scoop this one up to check.  Made in good old USA.  Wish I had something planned for supper that I could "grill" in it, but it will be leftover baked chicken with fixings.

Reading your postings about "helping" the men, reminds me of my mother and father.  After supper he would always go down cellar to his work shop to tinker on whatever he was working on.  But, he would always say, "Come down and keep me company, Muff".  Down she'd go and sit on the bottom stair and they'd chat away while he was tinkering.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's special to be together with your spouse doing what they really are good at and enjoy.  Marriages stay together that way; it's how marriages stay happily together.  There's not much more I could do that says "I love you" to him than pull that trigger on the saw.  It was scary.  DH also enjoys my just "being there" if I can't participate.  I'm not strong or skilled enough to actually help with everything he does.

I look for "Made in the USA," too.  I just spent an ungodly amount on a 6 qt All Clad saute pan, but, hey, I'm supporting US industry, right?  And, I can fit a whole head of chopped cabbage in it for my one "pot" sauted dish that DH and I enjoy from our garden.

Enjoy your new pan, tt!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, what a lovely memory. Bless Muff and your Dad. In those days, people talked to each other, now they are fighting over the remote. How things have changed.
    Was on my way out a couple of hours ago, but then Mr. P called, that he would pass by the house and if I had something for him to eat. I made him a nice chicken salad sandwich. He appreciated it.
    While waiting for him, I finished washing all my tile floors. So now I am p*oped, don't feel like going out any more. I was planning on going to Target to stock up on some of my "Method" cleaning stuff, but now it will have to wait.
    Congrats on your grill pan. Can it go in the oven? I have learned to made the best steaks ever. Sear on high heat on both sides - then in a 425 degree the oven for 5 - 6 minutes, for med rare. If you want medium - then a couple of minutes longer. Bon Appetite!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, that's an awesome way to do steak and a great suggestion for tt's grill pan.  I have done the same thing having learned it on Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals.  Ribeye is the best that way, IMO.  I think I put the oven on 500, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not too much of a steak eater.  I was thinking more, hamburgers.  When I do buy steak it's the First Cut Top of the Round, and I cook both my steak and hamburg in the same way, on top of the stove, 6 minutes 1 side and 4 the other.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

kar, I learned my way from Cooking Illustrated (aka America' s Test Kitchen). My son gave the magazine to me as a Christmas gift several years ago. I just love it, and have continued subscribing to it ever since. It is a bit expensive, but not so much when you subscribe. And it has NO advertisements. Only "nuts and bolts".
    My son and I would go to B & N  and have a cup of Cappuccino (his treat, even when he was a student and had no money) and sit and read. Apparently, he noticed I always picked up C.I. - Now, when I receive the magazine in the mail, I remember those days. Sweet!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a thoughtful and observant son - the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  Those little special times are worth a thousand grand vacations or other momentous occassions.

I enjoy watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS.  They are real recipes anyone can do that are really worth making. 

DH told me my stew was the "best ever" last night.  He always makes me feel so appreciated.  In related news, he was transporting his second bowl of it to his easy chair on our new oriental rug when an always-happy-to-see-him Gracie bounded up by his side and dumped the whole dish of stew on the rug and DH's shoe with the top of her head.  Whoops.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Oh Pingo what a lovely memory, you are so blessed

And Kargiver, I guess Gracie is living up to her name.

Reading the two post together reminds me of my son. He has a cat named Gracie,she is deaf and they think she can't see very well. The cat has no depth perception so she is always tumbling around..getting right back up and looks around like"who did that!" She also moves her head constantly around kind of like Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles. So sweet

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I hope you didn't scold Gracie - it was not her mistake. It was your husband's - taking food to watch TV, I suspect.
    I am in the process of making a large pot of homemade chicken soup. Why?
    I saw after the longest time - years actually -  WHITE asparagus at S&S. "Chicken in Asparagus" is one of my most loved comfort food. I have tried with the green ones, but the taste is quite different. Doesn't cut it.
    To get there, I have to go the long way, as this dish is what you make from leftover chicken (actually hen, as it has a lot more flavor). I wanted to do the longtime cooking (2 - 3 hours of simmering) before I went to my office, so I can come home and finish the rest tonight. My kitchen smells divine right now.
    Gotta go - my timer just sounded. You have a nice day - P

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, dearie me, no, we didn't scold her.  I did gently put her in her crate while I cleaned it up since as you can imagine we didn't want her "help," but let her right out immmediately after.  DH learns just about everything the hard way with her.  LOL

Mmm, chicken soup.  I can almost smell it from here if I concentrate really hard....

Good day, all!

~kar