November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November Chat

Since I don't have it in me to write two Thanksgiving poems this year, I'm doctoring the one I'm sending to G.T. and sharing it here.  He said he'll lead into  reading it at the table as they sit down to eat by saying, "Since tt can't be here this year, she sent this poem to commemorate the pumpkin soup you won't be getting today - !"

Since I won't be there in person
    to share this holiday,
    I'm sending on this little rhyme
    to say "hi" in my own way.

D.B.'s doing all the fixings
    while G.T. sets the grand decor -
    And round the table friends will sit
    with family galore.

I know it's been a tough year
    for many of those there,
    yet thankful we should all be
    to have each other near.

My thoughts will wander to you
    I'm sure especially when -
    I serve my pumpkin soup
    and they shout, "Don't bring that again!"

At G.T.'s holidays,
    My contributions are well received,
    and I'll try to introduce them
    to this family - tho they're peeved -

"We won't eat pumpkin soup"
    is what I've heard already,
    but it's cooking on the stove
    and soon it will be ready.

Next year the invitation
    to me may not be extended.
    Then once again I'll head your way
    with pumpkin soup I've rendered!

Happy Thanksgiving all - 2009

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Love Froggy, ambitious attention to details for the age you did it.

Meticulous and obsessive are positive qualities in handiwork!   Have a great holiday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh dear, driving all the way? 9 hours, that is a long trip. But at least you will avoid the airport traffic. And I hear this year, lots of people are traveling by car instead of planes in order to avoid the H1N1.
    I just came back from picking up the last of my TG groceries (including flowers). Tomorrow I will do my baking and cooking, so I can enjoy TG with my family. Will put on a lamb/lentil stew in my crock pot for all of us to eat, when they get here - whatever time that will be. They are all supposed to arrive around 8, but I am sure there will be delays. Fortunately, we live nly 20 minutes from Logan.
    Have a safe trip to Altoona and have a blessed TG with your family. Talk to you when you get back. - Pingo

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I really did it!  I remember doing it, and, of course, getting a lot of nearly constant help.  But, I really did do almost every stitch myself.  I was a perfectionist even then.  I was always ticked about the tongue not curling in a natural fashion.  Really, I'm ill. Oh, to heat up the potatoes, put them in the serving dish (if it's safe, of course!) and just microwave at 3 minute intervals on high stirring and testing each time.  I say use the serving dish so they stay hotter longer, but, of course, you can heat them up in anything. We are driving on Thanksgiving Day all the way to Altoona, 9 hours away, so unfortunately we cannot meet at Logan.  TGD is the busiest travel day of the year?  I thought it would be the Sunday after when everyone has to get back for work on Monday.  So many people take that week off and travel earlier than TG, I thought.  Oh, no......let's hope our 9 hour drive isn't 11. The neighbors will be here, including the dad, tomorrow to go over the explicit instructions and expectations regarding Gracie.  This will help me, I think. Blessings to you and yours, too, dear friend, et al. ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, dear!  Same to you and yours.  Lamb stew is my favorite.  My grandmother used to make a killer one.  Enjoy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I dropped someone off at her apartment house today.  There on a ground floor balcony, an artifical Christmas tree.  With brown branches,  conical shape,  and oak and maple leaves in scarlet, orange, yellow and  dark crimson on the ends of the branches. 6" maple leaves and 9" oak leaves. 
        I just stared.  My frind laughed, and just as she was saying-  you should stay and see the show-  red and yellow lights came on in the branches, shining through the colored leaves.

I was speechless, then the orange turkey on the ground lit up.

Friend said - they are new, from Mexico via Arizona.  I don't think they know that fall maple and oak leaves do not grow on evergreens. 
         They think they got a good deal, not only a Fall package and a Christmas one with a reindeer that looks like a dog with antlers,  it has a 3rd branch, decoration and light set for Easter, pink and aqua, with yellow bunnies that perch on the branches. 
          Still shaped like a Christmas tree.

Bunnies in trees?

Now I have seen everything.   It's the spirit that counts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG Waggie! I would have been speechless too. But I don't think you have seen everything just yet. Just next town over they have a street with the worst Christmas decorations of all. People come from all over drive by to take a look, and the traffic jam will let us next towners stay away from there. In fact last year someone on BDC asked for directions.
    What happened to the lovely red and green natural way of decorating for Christmas? I am sure our home must be looking really boring to some. But it is peaceful and we love it.

[QUOTE]     I dropped someone off at her apartment house today.  There on a ground floor balcony, an artifical Christmas tree.  With brown branches,  conical shape,  and oak and maple leaves in scarlet, orange, yellow and  dark crimson on the ends of the branches. 6" maple leaves and 9" oak leaves.      I just stared.  My frind laughed, and just as she was saying-  you should stay and see the show-  red and yellow lights came on in the branches, shining through the colored leaves.     I was speechless, then the orange turkey on the ground lit up.     Friend said - they are new, from Mexico via Arizona.  I don't think they know that fall maple and oak leaves do not grow on evergreens.       They think they got a good deal, not only a Fall package and a Christmas one with a reindeer that looks like a dog with antlers,  it has a 3rd branch, decoration and light set for Easter, pink and aqua, with yellow bunnies that perch on the branches.        Still shaped like a Christmas tree.        Bunnies in trees? Now I have seen everything.   It's the spirit that counts.
    Posted by whatawagSBNy[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"But I don't think you have seen everything just yet. Just next town over they have a street with the worst Christmas decorations of all. People come from all over drive by to take a look, and the traffic jam will let us next towners stay away from there. In fact last year someone on BDC asked for directions. "

Are you talking about the one off the LynnFells off of Route 1?  People do go there from all over to see the displays.  I remember taking the boys to see them when they were little.  Wouldn't want to live right next door to all those lights once the season starts, but they do give a lot enjoyment to people.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

WAG

yOU THINK that is strange. Out here we have Christmas lights on Cacti, Accia and Ironwood trees.  And Palo Verde too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, we used to take our boys there too. That was the time,when the light displays were still respectful of Christmas and enjoyable. But for the last several years, the competing houses have gone completely overboard with moving displays that has nothing to do with Christmas and loud music blaring. My son would say, "totally hideous".
    Last year, when at Shaw's -  I overheard a lady complaining to the cashier about the traffic congestion. "Yeah", the cashier sighed, "They come here to gawk at the ugliest display in Boston." I kept quiet, but couldn't agree with her more.

[QUOTE] "But I don't think you have seen everything just yet. Just next town over they have a street with the worst Christmas decorations of all. People come from all over drive by to take a look, and the traffic jam will let us next towners stay away from there. In fact last year someone on BDC asked for directions. " Are you talking about the one off the LynnFells off of Route 1?  People do go there from all over to see the displays.  I remember taking the boys to see them when they were little.  Wouldn't want to live right next door to all those lights once the season starts, but they do give a lot enjoyment to people.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Everyone has their own opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone has their own opinion.

I am not sure if you have gotton your merigne powder yet Tt, but if you have an Iparty near you ...I think you can get it there. Sometimes it goes by brand names too ...like wonder whip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Icer.  I haven't got it as yet, and truthfully, by the time I had finished rolling out, cutting, baking those turkeys yesterday, I was glad I had the excuse not to have to frost them!  My gawd I have a zillion of those little devils.  Even packing some up to give the guy when he comes to clean my gutters this morning!

Have a nice Thanksgiving.  I'll miss not being with G.T. and group but it was my own choice since someone always has to pick me up and bring me home, driving me out there.  I always feel guilty about it and decided to go to another of my son's this year.  As you read by my poem, I'm force-feeding them pumpkin soup!  As I used to tell the boys when they were little, "Try it - you'll like it!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

God morning tt,
    my pumpkin soup is cooking right now as we "speak". Can't imagine anyone not liking it. It has a lot of herbs and "sweet spices" in it, plus apple cider and ginger. It smells divine. I am toasting some of the seeds to use for garnish.
    Got up early this morning to do a last cleaning of the house. It is pristine. Will also set the table today. I want to be all there tonight and tomorrow, when the "kids" are here. They are suppose to arrive around 8 tonight. Just hope the weather will co-operate and there will not be too much of a delay. I am having a lamb/lentil stew in my crock pot right now. We can then eat whenever they get here. I am sure they will all be starving.
    Our house guest is still here, will leave Friday. He said, he was going to NY today to meet a friend. But we kind of sort of had to invite him to stay for TG, and he accepted readily. Food should not be a problem for him (and me) tomorrow. Lots of sides he can dig into. One extra guest at the TG table is not a big deal anyway.
    Hope you will have a great TG with your family. I am sure they will like your soup.
    Loved your TG poem to GT. I am glad you feel like posting your poems again. You are so talented and they are such a delight to read.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. - Pingo

Ps. I had a call from my son's in-laws. They loved the New England care package I had sent them. Something different for them. I also found a cute and rustic door hanging thing at CTS with a couple of pilgrims and pumpkins on it. Just right for their ranch where they will celebrate TG. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Ken - the very first time we went to San Antonio to look for a rehearsal place was in the beginning of some December, right after TG. Streets were lined with cacti w/ Christmas lights. So odd for us New Englanders. But as we have been going to visit every so often, we have found a lot of other things, - we would think were odd here. We are going to spend Christmas in Texas this year, and I am very sure it will be a new thing for us.
    They have a beautiful Lutheran church there and my son's MIL is very involved with the choir. They (50+ singers) sang at my son's wedding as a gift to the marrying couple. Get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. Our son and my husband and I walked in to the "Prince of Denmark". Had no idea, such a surprise. Very moving, I was in tears. I am sure our Christmas this year will be quite different, but also very special. I am so looking forward to attend their Christmas service.
    Waiting for the "kids" to arrive this evening. Have a pot of lamb/lentil stew in my crock pot. Trying to take flight delays and such into consideration - the dinner will be waiting for whenever.
    Wish you and Mrs. Ken a blessed TG with whoever, you are spending it with. So good to have you here on the boards. Such a delight to read your posts. Happy TG - Pingo

[QUOTE]WAG yOU THINK that is strange. Out here we have Christmas lights on Cacti, Accia and Ironwood trees.  And Palo Verde too.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, Icer.  I haven't got it as yet, and truthfully, by the time I had finished rolling out, cutting, baking those turkeys yesterday, I was glad I had the excuse not to have to frost them!  My gawd I have a zillion of those little devils.  Even packing some up to give the guy when he comes to clean my gutters this morning! Have a nice Thanksgiving.  I'll miss not being with G.T. and group but it was my own choice since someone always has to pick me up and bring me home, driving me out there.  I always feel guilty about it and decided to go to another of my son's this year.  As you read by my poem, I'm force-feeding them pumpkin soup!  As I used to tell the boys when they were little, "Try it - you'll like it!"

I saw the poem but have not had a chance to read it. I have a reading impairment or maybe its because I learned to read another language first in my life but I need to read things 3-4 times before I get it.

I have made your pumkin soup , it is devine.

My Mom always feels funny when we have to drive her , so I can understand how YOU feel. Maybe Greenthumb will just have to move closer, it would take care of a lot, Don't you think?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,
    Just came in from smothering my Robert Redford with Cool Whip (my g.f. in Fla called while I was in the act of "smothering", and wants that recipe as long as he comes with!), and waiting in between layering the rest of the dessert.

I must have been out of my mind making the whole batch of pumpkin soup!  What was I thinking?  Bringing it last year to G.T.'s crowd where I knew it would be eaten was one thing, but the recipe calls for among other things, 7 cups of pureed pumpkin and 6 cups of chicken stock - I clearly wasn't thinking when I started pouring the ingredients in!  I've frozen half of it already, minus the cream, and I'll add the cream according to taste, to the half I'm taking in the morning.  I do get carried away sometimes.  I have about 60 gingerbread turkeys, a dozen went over to my son's this afternoon, and another dozen will go with me tomorrow, that leaves an awful lot to freeze.  The gutter man wouldn't take any?  Imagine?

Yes, it would be lovely if G.T. moved closer, but in fact they keep moving farther away - they say because of the lower costs of home in western MA. - I wonder - - - - No, I know they love me, couldn't have anyone be any better to me than those two are.  They probably just don't want me washing their siding with a mop!  What would the neighbors say?  Have a good day tomorrow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

The gutter guy wouldn't take any??? What is wrong with him? I loved that poem that GT wrote, I think I read that one 10 times..It cracked me up

I wish all my chatter folk the very finest in holidays tomorow.
    I will pause and think of you all

Happy Thanksgiving

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Why am I online instead of being 1/2 way to my folks?  A belt broke in our car and we limped home as systems shut down one by one on our car.  We coasted in on the last of the battery, NO instruments, power steering, air, ABS, Traction control, air bags...OFF.  All off.

So, DH is walking the dog, we're going to eat lunch, and transfer all our stuff to the other car, put the dog back in her crate and get to my folks' at 10 pm. :(  At least they are holding off "Thanksgiving" until tomorrow night so we won't miss it.

Hope everyone is making out better than this!! 

Blessings,
    Kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, HAPPY THANKSGIVING :) Look on the bright side, you have a wonderful family to spend TG with. Enjoy every minute of it!

xoxo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh dear, can imagine your frustration. I am so sorry that happened to you. Things does happen, but it could have been much worse. Well, like Liz said, you have a wonderful family that held on to celebrate TG the next day. THAT is something to be truly thankful for. Bless you all and Happy Second Day TG.

[QUOTE]Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    oh MY WHAT A TRAGEDY. Well you seem to be handling it well. And what a marvelous family you  have to give you a Thanksgiving a day late.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thank goodness your DH is with you..and of coarse Gracie, who I am sure was very helpful

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Sorry to hear about your car trouble Kar - like the others have said, it is nice that you and your family will be celebrating today.

Hope everyone had a nice day yesterday.  Thinks worked out great with me and my family.  Lots of work to prep, but I had lots of helping hands to help clean up so that was great.

I actually have to work all day today, then off to my 20th HS Reunion tonight- should be fun! 

Anyone brave enough to go shopping today?  Not me!