November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: November Chat

Good morning all,
    Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. Kar, hopefully you reached safely to your destination this time to enjoy your second-day TG as much as we enjoyed ours yesterday.
    We had an uneventful and very relaxed TG. I normally host 20-25 people, but yesterday we were only 8 adults. What a difference that makes. I know people say, that it is as easy to prepare for 20 as it is for 10. That is such baloney. For the first time, I was actually able to enjoy my own TG w/o being stressed out.
    We now have my nephew's 3 very young children (3 years old and 1-1/2 year old twins). They are such a delight. Only thing was, we had to eat late as the twins needed their nap. But we didn't mind - better than having over tired and cranky children.
    I usually buy a butterball turkey. But for the first time I got a fresh turkey from TJ. It was the BEST ever. So moist and so flavorful. My family is not really turkey eaters, but this time they loved it. "Best turkey ever, Mom". Thought I would pass on the word.
    Mr. P took our house guest to South Station early this morning. He will take the bus all the way to Virginia, where he will be visiting some friends. I feel relief, he is gone (bad me). 5 days turned into 2 weeks.
    Now it is time to get ready for Christmas! - P

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just came back from the 16th Festival of Trees in Methuen.  What a great take.  There were over 100 decorated Christmas trees - all different themes.  It raises money for the preservation of heritage and monuments in the Merrimack Valley.  I had never heard of it before but my g.f. has a friend who has decorated a tree there since it started.  His won first place this year and she wanted to see it.  There's a schedule of different events, including Santa in a separate room for the little ones.  The set up allows for plenty of walking space to stop and look at all the trees, (benches here and there to sit) as well as free parking.  There's even a little café where you can get a bite to eat.  I have a thing about getting lost, and was leery of driving there, even tho my g.f. was doing the driving, but it's right off of 93 and a cinch to find.  If you're interested you can google it for more info.  I sound like an info-mertial but it really is so festive and gets you in the holiday spirit.

Had a great Thanksgiving, ate way too much, tho I tried to keep it to just a taste of everything.  My poem never got read at G.T.'s, he forgot all about it!  Makes me wonder if my name even came up!  Was I missed?  Out of sight - out of mind.  Hope you all enjoyed the day with families.  I'm back to the mundane of getting washes caught up and vowing to stay away from the fridge.

P.S.   Brought the stuffingless pink flamingo over to the sweet little pup, and she loved it - began tossing it all over the place, then carried it over to her bed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]Happy Thanksgiving!!! Why am I online instead of being 1/2 way to my folks?  A belt broke in our car and we limped home as systems shut down one by one on our car.  We coasted in on the last of the battery, NO instruments, power steering, air, ABS, Traction control, air bags...OFF.  All off. So, DH is walking the dog, we're going to eat lunch, and transfer all our stuff to the other car, put the dog back in her crate and get to my folks' at 10 pm. :(  At least they are holding off "Thanksgiving" until tomorrow night so we won't miss it. Hope everyone is making out better than this!!  Blessings, Kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Oh No!!!!!!!!    At least you did make it back home  for another try.  Hope you are well fed and happy by now!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dear friends, thank you for your kindhearted words of encouragement! 

We got back on the road at 1:30 for an 8 - 9 hour drive that we'd started the first time at 7:30 am.  For Thanksgiving dinner we had Milky Way bars.  But, all was well and we were safe at my folks' at about 9:30...14 hours after we'd started! 

Friday's Thanksgiving feast was "the best any dinner could be" according to DH, which was quite a statement given it was his first ever away from his family.  It was a fabulous spread and great fellowship, as always.

We are having a great time with the folks and heard from our neighbor that Gracie is doing just fine and is a joy to look after.

Praying all is well with you and yours and that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Blessings and peace,
    ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Dear friends, thank you for your kindhearted words of encouragement!  We got back on the road at 1:30 for an 8 - 9 hour drive that we'd started the first time at 7:30 am.  For Thanksgiving dinner we had Milky Way bars.  But, all was well and we were safe at my folks' at about 9:30...14 hours after we'd started!  Friday's Thanksgiving feast was "the best any dinner could be" according to DH, which was quite a statement given it was his first ever away from his family.  It was a fabulous spread and great fellowship, as always. We are having a great time with the folks and heard from our neighbor that Gracie is doing just fine and is a joy to look after. Praying all is well with you and yours and that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Blessings and peace, ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    I'm glad everything worked out OK for you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning all,
    Some of you must be driving/flying back today. Hope everyone arrives home safely. Our boys are still here today. They will all be leaving tomorrow. So good to have them all back home.
    The birds we missed all summer, have returned in huge flocks. Several kind of finches, a couple of all red birds, I still have to identify (could it be Cardinals at this time of the year?) and the sparrows and bluejays. The finches stick to our birch trees and we have plenty of berries for the rest of the birds. Our Pear (non edible for us) trees have more tiny pears , than we have ever seen and the birds are having a feast. No need for a bird feeder at all.
    A friend of mine send me the following link. I am forwarding to you my friends:  http://www.stilltasty.com/
    I found it interesting and helpful. Enjoy!
    Mothermitzy, I hope your trip went well and uneventful and we will have you back here at the Chat. Is your blog still working? You may have to pull it out of the dust bags.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

This past Monday I helped build our living Christmas tree, 10 tiers high, and loaded with lights, which will blink, change patterns, etc with the music, all controlled by computer. It was lit up in church this morning, but the choir did not get on it. THe cconcerts are this Fri and Sat and next Sat and SUnday. In the past, I have sung im it, but not this year. As it is, I was 3 days recovering from the work of erecting it. My problem is that I keep thinking I can do what I have always done. WRONG!!!. Getting old really is no fun, but I can find other things. This year I will greet, or usher and man the sales of the CD's after the concerts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

What is a living Christmas tree-  that is tiers high etc.?  I understand living as in growing.  But what is this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hope you are feeling better Ken.  I would also love to hear more about what a "living Christmas Tree is!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes Ken, could you please explain? I imagine "your" tree is built of staging in the shape of a Christmas tree for the choir to stand on while singing. You sentence "but the choir did not get on it" make me imagine that. With all the lights and the music,  it must be a beautiful sight. Too bad AZ is so far from here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Yes Ken, could you please explain? I imagine "your" tree is built of staging in the shape of a Christmas tree for the choir to stand on while singing. You sentence " but the choir did not get on it " make me imagine that. With all the lights and the music,  it must be a beautiful sight. Too bad AZ is so far from here.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

You have it exactly right, it is staging, semicircular, like  a tree, even with a star at the top. It is a gorgeous sight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow Ken, must be spectacular! Would you be able to post a photo for us? Would just love to see it. - P

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : You have it exactly right, it is staging, semicircular, like  a tree, even with a star at the top. It is a gorgeous sight.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello my friend,
    I never got to respond to your post. Mr. P and I were planning to go with our family to see those 100 Christmas trees (thanks for the tip btw). It would be something we as a family would really have enjoyed. While the Prudential tree was still there, we would go to Boston and drive around to look at the lights. Then take a good look at the Prudential tree, walk around it and then have dinner at Legals afterwards. It was a standing tradition for years, while the boys were young. But I wanted to tell you about our experience after our visit to Methuen.
    However, our children (especially DIL) had other plans - so it never materialized. She wanted to visit some of her Boston friends, go to Harvard Square (which is really not there any more, only by name) etc. Of course Mr. P and I could have gone, but we sat waiting for them to come home (never gave us any timing) with Smorgas Board and other favorites.
    Yesterday was the first Sunday in Advent, and I made aebleskiver and gluwine - and lit the advents candles. Another tradition. We had a very nice Sunday together. This morning we took our youngest to the airport and are now waiting for our oldest son and his wife to get ready for their plane.
    Hope you had a nice weekend. - P

[QUOTE]Just came back from the 16th Festival of Trees in Methuen.  What a great take.  There were over 100 decorated Christmas trees - all different themes.  It raises money for the preservation of heritage and monuments in the Merrimack Valley.  I had never heard of it before but my g.f. has a friend who has decorated a tree there since it started.  His won first place this year and she wanted to see it.  There's a schedule of different events, including Santa in a separate room for the little ones.  The set up allows for plenty of walking space to stop and look at all the trees, (benches here and there to sit) as well as free parking.  There's even a little café where you can get a bite to eat.  I have a thing about getting lost, and was leery of driving there, even tho my g.f. was doing the driving, but it's right off of 93 and a cinch to find.  If you're interested you can google it for more info.  I sound like an info-mertial but it really is so festive and gets you in the holiday spirit. Had a great Thanksgiving, ate way too much, tho I tried to keep it to just a taste of everything.  My poem never got read at G.T.'s, he forgot all about it!  Makes me wonder if my name even came up!  Was I missed?  Out of sight - out of mind.  Hope you all enjoyed the day with families.  I'm back to the mundane of getting washes caught up and vowing to stay away from the fridge. P.S.   Brought the stuffingless pink flamingo over to the sweet little pup, and she loved it - began tossing it all over the place, then carried it over to her bed.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Sounds as though we all had a nice Thanksgiving, perhaps with a few bumps in the road here and there. My time away was nice, and I must admit I did not miss preparing a large Thanksgiving dinner.  We timed the driving in the hope of missing the worst of the traffic and succeeded. On the way home, we stopped in NYC and had lunch with my cousin from Hawaii who was visiting his sister.  That was a great treat for my father who had not seen this nephew (also his Godson) in over 20 years. 

Being a guest for a major holiday is a novelty for me, but now that this branch of my family has moved back to the states they will be switching off with their in-laws (only fair) and as long as my father is able, we'll go.  I'm most grateful to be included, and we get along well.  There were people coming and going all weekend and when the kids were off visiting, we got in the car and took rides.  Also spent a day in Washington DC.  I did miss having leftovers when I got home though!

Spent all day yesterday cleaning out my father's cellar in preparation for the new oil burner.  Some stuff went to the charity shop but most is slated for the trash pile.  I was amazed at what had accumulated down there.  Anyway, we got a lot accomplished.  Can't believe tomorrow is Dec. 1.  I'm working half a day and driving up to Dartmouth College to see my niece, who is performing in a holiday concert.  A great start to the season!

mothermitzi         

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Wow Ken, must be spectacular! Would you be able to post a photo for us? Would just love to see it. - P In Response to Re: November Chat :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    I will be taking lots of pictures and will try post some. If I can't, I will post a link to my flikr account.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to see you're back safe and sound, mothermitzi, and sorry, Pingo that you didn't get to see the trees - there's always next year.

Am running out most every day for an hour or two hunting for those little basket treasures.  Found a couple today at Home Goods up on Route 1.  Get togethers with my g.f.s are positioned around local shops in their areas - Wednesday, my friend in Swampscott, and Thursday,  my friend in Danvers.  They're all chuckling about it, but we do make time for lunch in there too.  The library is holding a small celebration for its volunteers in the next week, and am looking forward to that.  G.T.'s Christmas Open House is this week-end.  I got a call this morning from his friend who was planning on picking me up - she is running a temp and just wanted to give me an alert that she might not be able to go.  Of course, I told her to wipe that obligation right out of her mind, and concentrate on getting to the dr. and getting better.  I'll take up another friend on an offer to drive me.  All I have to do now is decide what besides the saltine candy I'll bring.  Hands are giving me a devil of a time since rolling out all that gingerbread dough, so if it's homemade, it will have to be something that's quick and easy to mix.

Picked up a couple of subs on my way home from shopping and stopped in my recuperating son's and had lunch with him.  He's feeling better enough some days that he's going stir crazy.  Hope when  he sees the dr. this week he reins him in a bit and doesn't let him rush back to work.

I brought down a box of Christmas decorations today and have put up my bells on the door and tacked up a couple of stockings for Santa.  Bought a couple of boxes of Christmas cards on sale too, have finally used up all the odds and ends of previous boxes I had.

Talk in December!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Will I get the lost post of the month on this thread?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]  ...Yesterday was the first Sunday in Advent, and I made aebleskiver and gluwine - and lit the advents candles. Another tradition. ...
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

OOh -  are those the little round sweet dough and apple slices goodies, and spiced wine?   My aunt's housekeeper makes them, if that is what you mean.  We used to be on best behavior to be the ones chosen to put powdered sugar or honey with chopped nut on top,  when she made them.
         I was trying to think of the name to tell DH when his mom was cooking doughnuts type dough with currants (Italian recipe,  or maybe Austrian - she comes from near their borders.)   I could not remember "ableskiver". 
          Her mulled wine is just sweet red wine with cloves too - missing something from what goes in gluvine, but what?  Not nearly as good as  in Copenhagen style.

I should have thought to ask you, pingo!   
    We usually just make spiced apple cider, which calls for different combinations of spices from the wine.   I think DH would like the gluvine better than what his mom makes.