November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November Chat

Hi Mothermitzi,

Gosh your father's birthday sure came fast.  I'm sure you're up to your elbows in getting things ready.  Will some family be staying with you?  Have a wonderful time and fill us in next week.

I'm trying to remember how old the furnace was in this house when I replaced it - but I can't even venture a guess.  Thing is, if it needs to be replaced, it needs it.  Better than having it quit completely in the dead of winter and trying to get one in then.  Also glad to hear your father's oil price was in the ballpark as mine.  I remember last year his was a little cheaper too.

Have put an apple crisp in the oven in anticipation of coming back here tomorrow after the Fair and dinner out.  But, of course, I'll have to sample it tonight, hot from the oven, to be sure it's presentable!

Do you suppose all your cat needed was this vet's food?  Probably less filler and fat in it.  Cheerio needs to slim down.  I think it's the kibble that is packing on the pounds.  Of course, she does get smidges of cream cheese, and cool whip, whatever I'm eating.  Just a taste here and there.

Oven smells good, time to take a peek in and see how it's looking.  Have fun this week-end and try not to overdo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good to hear from you mm, I can' t believe your father's birthday is already here. He must be so excited to have everyone coming to celebrate him. No wonder you have not had time to be on the boards.

"When he had the burner serviced two weeks ago, they told him he needs a new burner.  I'm having my brother look into it.  The one he has is 30 years old."

30 years is good for an oil burner. We had a new one installed last year, and our old one was 10 years younger than your Dad's. At the same time we also got a new water tank. It was also 20 years old. Mr. P decided, as we were already having a mess running and connecting pipes and el - we might as well do the water tank at the same time, so we would not have to go through all the extensive labor again. Just something to consider. Water tanks do break down and leak too. The burner was expensive, but the tank was just a few hundred Dollars, and we saved a heck of a lot on labor. At least we will have peace of mind for years to come.
    Unless you have a very trusted oil man, it will be a good thing to have someone else check it. If your Dad had no problems with it, it may still have a few years to go. But you are right, it is no fun to sit in a house at 2 am with 6 degrees outside, and have your oil burner go on the blink. I can attest to that.
    Besides a new oil burner is a good investment, when you are ready to sell the house. Just keep the receipts.
    Hope you will have a wonderful reunion and birthday party. Please let us know, how everyting went. And may your Dad have many more healthy and happy years with you.
    Happy Birthday - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    I am just as concerned as you are. I have been on the phone all morning, trying to get someone to get involved in this. Shelters are full - due to the fact, that people have no money to feed their pets and just let theme loose. I am sure this is what must have happened in our case.
    They do not want to come to trap the cats, unless you pay them ahead of time per night for the trap. In our case, it will not be a "small donation". (I had skunks "trapped" and it cost us a small fortune.) And who is to say, that there are not more cats coming along, after we "remove" the four we have right now.
    If you (or anyone else for that matter) know of a shelter, that for some reasonable fee will come and help us out, - please, please let me know. I am on my wits end.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : It really doesn't make any difference that this is the first year this has happened, it has happened and needs to be dealt with.  When you think of it, calling a shelter is not such a terrible thing to have to do.  They will do the trapping and rest of it - a small donation will be expected, I'm sure.  Evidently in surrounding acreage there are cats who are reproducing.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I should start a new thread - The Christmas Festival - it was by far the best we have been to in recent years - so many new things.  If anyone is thinking at all of taking it in, I would heartily recommend going tomorrow.  "The "Best in Show" of the Gingerbread pieces was one of the Seaport Hotel and World Trade Center.  Quite remarkable.

Icer, I had my little notebook and pen in hand, searching for some ideas for you, but for the life of me I couldn't see anything to use for an accoutrement.  I did see a novel box with a cover that lifted up on hinges, and in front on the bottom was a half circle cut out, and printed on the box was "Dog's Toys".  Really cute.  The dog can pull out through the opening whatever toy appeals to him.

Sewn gifts ideas:  simple square pocketbooks with a ribbon or ribbon embellished with beads sewn across the top; felt wall hangings, solid background with simple almost block style pictures (house, tree, sun, sheep) sewn or glued on;  something I love but hate to pay the price, dried fruit slices and cinnamon sticks strung on plain rope and tied with a gingham ribbon for hanging at the top;  large bell hung with a gingham ribbon; loads of kids aprons with little front pockets for crayons or whatever; eye glass cases; table runners; cloth belts finished with a buckle.  Absolutely no ideas for anything novel for edible gifts, other than the usual.

Our purchases:  G.T. bought a beautiful heavy fired tile with the picture of a thistle.  I bought a lovely bayleaf wreath with red flowers and green velvet bow to hang on the door leading upstairs; our gingerbread men and girl; Hebert honey for the baskets; and at Fudgy Wudgy 3 half pounds of fudge, if you bought a pound of fudge you could get another half pound free - choice of any three flavors you wished - choc walnut and orange creamsicle for me and strawberry cheesecake for G.T.  It is honestly the best fudge I have ever tasted.  He said the orange creamsicle flavor had been featured on the food network.  Scrumptious!

We had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory afterwards and came back here for the apple crisp.  They bagged the leaves for me and I sat on the stairs and sniffed the gardenia he had brought from their flowering plant.  Oh, the house smells so good.  As you can readily tell, I had a wonderful day.  I am blessed.  Today will hold me for a week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I forget every month to subscribe to the new month's  thread, so I can get my email notification.    So now I have to read a whole week's posts.  GRRR

anyhow...I now am operating on Windows 7. My son spent 5 hours with us yesterday installing it. I could never have done it myself. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

TT    I use an apron every time I wash dishes,  (which is every day) and it wraps around and ties in the front. It would have to cause I would never be able to tie it behind my back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]TT    I use an apron every time I wash dishes,  (which is every day) and it wraps around and ties in the front. It would have to cause I would never be able to tie it behind my back.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Me either, Ken.  I checked out the apron booths at the Christmas Festival yesterday, but those sewers haven't caught on yet, the ties were just long enough to tie in back.  I looked them (booth runners) over and they were still pretty young - give them another 20 years and they'll be saying, "Gee, why didn't we make those ties longer before"! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(pingo, check out my latest post in OT-Meet the Parents; I just added a link for you to find a store near you that carries that syrup.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you Kar!
    I checked the link and unfortunately the syrup is only available in Whole Foods around here. None of the 3 stores in this area are close by. Maybe I will take a hike one day. I will also try to see, if I can order it on the net.
    One other possibility is that a brand new store, "Natural Foods" that recently opened close by my office, would have it. I would be quite surprised if they don't. Will check tomorrow.
    How is my friend Gracie? Is she over her surgery and has she moved into her run?
    Dreary day for me today. Had company last night that overstayed their welcome. I had asked them to come at 5, so it would not be so late - but they didn't leave until 1 am. Tough for me to keep awake, and today I am really dragging it.
    Are going out tonight with friends - wish I didn' t have to. I would have called and cancelled, but her brother and his wife is visiting from England, and she wants us to meet them. I am so glad I didn't invite them to come here tonight. It was on my mind at first, but fortunately I thought ahead. Two dinner parties back to back. No, I don't think so.

[QUOTE](pingo, check out my latest post in OT-Meet the Parents; I just added a link for you to find a store near you that carries that syrup.)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy, how did the birthday party go?
    It must have been just amazing to have the family together for such a wonderful occasion. But I bet a lot of work for you. Bless you for taking such good care of your father. - P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good to hear from you Ken. Add me to the list of apron wearers. I make my own though - the ones one can buy never have strings long enough to tie in the front. For me to be able to tie it in the front is important, as it serve me several purposes. I hang my glasses there and I hang a small towel there, so I can dry or "clean" my hands when needed. I don' t think I could cook or clean w/o it. Maybe habit.
    The new generation hardly use an apron, but of course one would not need it for "going out for dinner" or take-outs. LOL

[QUOTE]TT    I use an apron every time I wash dishes,  (which is every day) and it wraps around and ties in the front. It would have to cause I would never be able to tie it behind my back.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hanging the towel over the tied apron strings is a good idea, Pingo.  Never thought of that, usually have one for that purpose just lying on the table or counter where I'm working.  I'll try your idea.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I love that idea!  The puppy has been obsessed with the hand towel that I like to hang on the oven door handle so I've had to lay it on the counter.  Very inconvenient.  Let's start a Towel Over the Apron Strings club!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

You can put Icer on the list too..I wear an apron most days. I do buy aprons but they are made for a variety of body types so the apron strings are quite long indeed. I also wrap the string to tie in the front and put a towel in the string area.

On another note. Today is my son's birthday. He came over last night with his girlfriend. I have had a morning filled with memories of his day of birth..Such a cherished day for me, and now to see this man before me, taking care of himself...on his own for all this time, he has taken a second job in case his girlfriend gets laid off..thinking ahead like that. They aren't married but really what matter is that. They have no children, but that is also a choice they have made for the time being.  I just am so proud of him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Son's birthday, Icer, AND Happy anniversory, Kargiver!

Now, Icer, you've made no mention of all the notes I so carefully took down at that Festival - carrying around my notebook and stopping traffic while I jotted down ideas for you to sew as gifts!!!  I need gratification when I do something!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Rather than hang the towel over the strings, I hang it on the oven door handle, which is right behind where I wash dishes. Of course our kitchen is very small since the whole unit is only about 720 Sq. ft.. So anywhere in the kitchen the towel would be close by.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Happy Son's birthday, Icer, AND Happy anniversory, Kargiver! Now, Icer, you've made no mention of all the notes I so carefully took down at that Festival - carrying around my notebook and stopping traffic while I jotted down ideas for you to sew as gifts!!!  I need gratification when I do something!!!

Sorry TT...I should have noted your efforts, Thank you so much for all you have done. I got a lot of inspiration from your notes, how rude of me. I hope you can forgive me. Actually I was planning on posting pictures as I create . I have a cute idea for a spin off of the Thansgiving hat . I will begin there

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]I love that idea!  The puppy has been obsessed with the hand towel that I like to hang on the oven door handle so I've had to lay it on the counter.  Very inconvenient.  Let's start a Towel Over the Apron Strings club!!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Happy Anniversay Kargiver! A nice day to remember I am sure

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, Happy Anniversary from me too. Can't believe a year has passed since you were on the threads asking for advice. And now you are with us old ladies. But we love you here. Best to you and Mr. Kar with many, many more years together - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello ladies and Ken of course,
    Just a thought coming from the "apron strings". Some are long, some are short - no matter what "cutting the apron strings" is always difficult. Like in my case - they have never really been "cut". And I feel some of you ladies are having the excact same "problem". But in this day and age - I think it a wonderful problem to have. Icer's son's birthday today made me think of this. Every year on our sons B-days, I go through the emotions, I did then. Silly? Yes. Just can't help it. I am sure it must be the same for most of you.
    Love you all - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't necessarily feel the "apron strings" need to be cut.  The attachment a son has for his mother is totally different than that he has for his wife or SO.  Now if daughters-in-law would just realize that - - - -

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wise words tt, and you are so right. - Pingo

[QUOTE]I don't necessarily feel the "apron strings" need to be cut.  The attachment a son has for his mother is totally different than that he has for his wife or SO.  Now if daughters-in-law would just realize that - - - -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]I don't necessarily feel the "apron strings" need to be cut.  The attachment a son has for his mother is totally different than that he has for his wife or SO.  Now if daughters-in-law would just realize that - - - -

I'm with you, TT.     They can't be close enough to please me. Two of them live in the east, one near me and one in GA.

We are at the stage now where we can help them if they need it. And isn't that what being parents is all about. They rarely ask for help unless they are desparate. BUt I like helping them when they DON'T ask for help, but you know it is appreciated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, I have to admit, that I am not a fan of aprons.  However, I do hang a kitchen towel over the top of a cabinet door by my sink.  DH doesn't care for that, but I have to have it there.  Otherwise I catch myself using up so many paper towels.

Happy Anniversary Kar!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I spent the better part of an hour (or more) this morning with buckets of hot water, a scrub brush, mop and step stool - scrubbing the back and one side of my house that never get any sun.  Green mold patches form there and this is something I do each Fall.  G.T. had emailed me that it was a beautiful day and he hoped I was out enjoying it.  I emailed back, telling him what I had been doing and he sent this along:  (I do love his sense of humor!)

Quickly, come look, out the window to see.
    the crazy old lady, who lives next to me.
    She's washing the house with a bucket and sponge
    Be quiet, don't wake her, or else she may lunge!
    She finds spots where greenish-brown mildew appears
    then  taking a sponge-mop attacks it and sneers.
    "Get off of this house, I will show you who's boss!"
    She's twisting and turning, while scrubbing the gloss.
    Look at her scrubbing, with vigor and vim
    Her apron's on crooked, her sight must be dim.
    Oh, Go out and stop her, just tell her "No More!"
    Then turn her around, cause HER house is next door!