November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Re: November Chat

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    I spent the better part of an hour (or more) this morning with buckets of hot water, a scrub brush, mop and step stool - scrubbing the back and one side of my house that never get any sun.  Green mold patches form there and this is something I do each Fall.  G.T. had emailed me that it was a beautiful day and he hoped I was out enjoying it.  I emailed back, telling him what I had been doing and he sent this along:  (I do love his sense of humor!) Quickly, come look, out the window to see. the crazy old lady, who lives next to me. She's washing the house with a bucket and sponge Be quiet, don't wake her, or else she may lunge! She finds spots where greenish-brown mildew appears then   taking a sponge-mop attacks it and sneers. "Get off of this house, I will show you who's boss!" She's twisting and turning, while scrubbing the gloss. Look at her scrubbing, with vigor and vim Her apron's on crooked, her sight must be dim. Oh, Go out and stop her, just tell her "No More!" Then turn her around, cause her house is next door!
    Posted by toytrumpet

Love it!  You brightened my day tt!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

OMG tt That is Crazy Funny... I can't wait for everyone else to read it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

TT
    That was hilarious

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

TT - you crack me up! Thank you for sharing.

Kar - Happy Anniversary! (I know I'm late to the party, but happy for you all the same)

It is still pretty warm here. Usually I can count on it being cool after Halloween, but there seems to be an exception this year. 85* is the high today and 89* tomorrow. Air conditioning is still on in the house occasionally and windows are open at night. The cows seem to be just a little stinkier this year, but then again, my sense of smell is overwhelmingly observant these days to my stomach's detriment.

I am an apron wearer. I like to tie in the front as well and use handmade aprons. However, for the towel, I fling one (by the end of a big meal, two) over my shoulders for handy wiping. If it's Christmas, watch out, there will probably be three towels in different stages of dampness. Not sure I will be up to a huge Christmas meal this year, but will try to plan ahead so it doesn't get overwhelming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, everyone!!!

We had such a romantic time at the Wayside last night.  They remembered us and had champagne sent to the table and an individual sized cake, too.

We have two little pieces of the wedding cake we froze left for tonight.  We thawed it last Friday and have had cake every day since. :)

Thanks, again, my friends.  I can't believe it's been a year already, either.

Blessings,
    ~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Married a year, with a 58 pound baby.  You're off to a great start.  Happy Anniversary -  and many more!      Wag

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that poem is hilarious. What a talented son you have. You two should really publish a book together. I would be the first in line for the signing.   - Pingo

I spent the better part of an hour (or more) this morning with buckets of hot water, a scrub brush, mop and step stool - scrubbing the back and one side of my house that never get any sun.  Green mold patches form there and this is something I do each Fall.  G.T. had emailed me that it was a beautiful day and he hoped I was out enjoying it.  I emailed back, telling him what I had been doing and he sent this along:  (I do love his sense of humor!) Quickly, come look, out the window to see. the crazy old lady, who lives next to me. She's washing the house with a bucket and sponge Be quiet, don't wake her, or else she may lunge! She finds spots where greenish-brown mildew appears then   taking a sponge-mop attacks it and sneers. "Get off of this house, I will show you who's boss!" She's twisting and turning, while scrubbing the gloss. Look at her scrubbing, with vigor and vim Her apron's on crooked, her sight must be dim. Oh, Go out and stop her, just tell her "No More!" Then turn her around, cause HER house is next door!
    Posted by toytrumpet

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Married a year, with a 58 pound baby.  You're off to a great start.  Happy Anniversary -  and many more!      Wag
    Posted by whatawagSBNy

Thanks, Waggie!  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Hope everybody is enjoying this warm spell.  Last night I walked home across the Charles and it was as still as can be - beautiful and balmy.  One of the vendors at the farmer's market told me the 24th is their last day.  I will miss them for sure.  Haven't bought produce in the grocery store for months now. 

My father's party went very well.  We had it in a local hall, and a caterer brought food in. We invited 125 guests and 100 showed.  I had a few last minute cancellations from families with small children who had flu concerns.  Two had confirmed cases of H1N1. Other than that, the weather was perfect - no problem for those who had to drive or fly in.  I had a house full.  The spillover stayed at my father's and brother's.  We were four generations in all, the youngest just two months old. We took lots of pictures. As always, my SIL was a big help to me.  She took care of the linens and centerpieces.  I arranged for the hall and food. We made up two poster boards of pictures and put out family albums.  The hall provided a bartender. We had two cakes.  One was a gold sheet cake with strawberry filling and whipped cream frosting.  The second was chocolate with butter creme frosting. All the kids wanted the chocolate cake. It was gone in a flash! The adults preferred the gold. My father held up very well.  Beforehand, he told me he didn't want any speeches or toasts and we honored his wishes.  It was laid back and just a nice afternoon to get together and celebrate a happy occasion.  The night before we had a big family dinner for the out-of-town guests.  I would be lying if I said I'm not relieved it's over.  I'm also glad to be going away for Thanksgiving.  My only chore this year is making the stuffing.  I'm getting off easy!

Tonight, I will strip the beds and put everything back together.  Last night, I barely made it to the couch for leftover cake and a big glass of red wine.  My fare tonight will be more practical!

mothermitzi     

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi mothermitzi
    So glad you were able to pull so many friends and family together for your father's birthday.  A year can bring a lot of changes in a family.

I'm like you with Thanksgiving dinner preps, my only responsibilities are pumpkin soup and a dessert and I'll toss in some turkey cookies, either sugar or gingerbread - maybe some of each.

Having company for Sunday dinner (5) and their request is the old standby, Irish Lasagna.  I still haven't decided what I'll make for dessert - something that I know the kids will like. Had planned to give the toyroom a good cleaning today, but somehow the afternoon got away from me, and here it is evening when I vegetate in front of the TV!

Now that the party has come and gone, hope to see more of you on the boards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

We will get out of most of the Thanksgiving preps. I will probably cook the butternut squash. And probably make a fruit cake since they all like it. And since our son that we eat with is unemployed we will probably help him buy what else he needs so we can have a nice time together and a nice meal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We will get out of most of the Thanksgiving preps. I will probably cook the butternut squash. And probably make a fruit cake since they all like it. And since our son that we eat with is unemployed we will probably help him buy what else he needs so we can have a nice time together and a nice meal.
    Posted by Ken1935

That's what the holidays are all about - family together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning mothermitzy,
    Thanks for the lovely "report". Glad for you everything went so well. It takes a lot to plan a party for so many people - talk about stress here. One is definitely allowed to feel relief afterwards.
    I have done parties for New Years Eve for so many years at our home for 90 - 100 guests.  The last time, which was 5 years ago, I was totally burnt out afterwards. I put my foot down and said, "This is it - no more!" We had some great NYEs, and I would do them all over again, if I was 40 years old. But age does take its toll.
    Now that everyone are gone home, you can relax and live on the memories. All the pictures that was taken, will relive the day.
    Today is Veteran's Day. We do not have that day off, as our employees rather have off the day after TG. Personally I am a bit sad over this. Thinking of all the men and women serving our country in battles overseas right now, I feel they deserve to be honored. So does all the men and women, that put their life on line for us in the past.
    Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day today. Cool but sunny. Enjoy it - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thinking of you this morning, Pingo, as I filled my birdfeeder - did you ever order one?

Put the litter box out to soak with baking soda and hot water, and couldn't help but see all the new leaves that are covering my backyard.  We have about 25 bags filled as of now, but I'm sure I could fill another 10 by the looks of it. - Ah well, better leaves than snow!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes tt, I did order a bird feeder. Not an elaborate one like the one you have, but a small one (with a squirrel baffle) - just to see if we can get the birds back. Have not received it yet though. Later we will get a larger and better one, if things work out. Thanks for your input. Truly!
    We have seen a few birds recently in our birch tree outside our bedroom windows. They are tiny and has beautiful colorings. We believe they are thistles or finches. Mr. P wants to put a bird feeder up there, but who is going to fill it 8 feet off the ground? Not me, I can tell you.
    On another note, I enjoyed your walk through your Christmas Fair. Took a few notes even though they were not for me.
    I am trying to make all home made gifts this year. Have already framed a few of my watercolors. Trying to finish the quilt for my son and his wife. Your walk through came in really handy. Thanks! As we will spend Christmas in SA-TX this year, I have to mail everything. Or at least most of our gifts.
    The boys will be here for TG, so I am collecting a TG package for our son's in-laws. I have several TJ items - as they do not have a TJ there. Pumpkin pancake mix, Maple Syrup, a bag of MA Cranberries, Cape Cod Taffy and of course TJ's wonderful truffles. - I am still looking for more. Any ideas? I used to send a centerpiece or some Kringle from my Danish pastry shop. But I thought a "basket" this year would be more of an enjoyment for them. Some stuff, they cannot get there.
    And of course, I "expect" them to send me pecans and some homegrown hot peppers. I tried to grow hot peppers this year and the last. I got two Jalapeno peppers on one plant this year. None last year. And they get so many, they can't give them away.
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I normally post on the Pet section but I do read all posts and enjoy the CC posts.  I was wondering if anyone has heard from Putt?  I did write her after the passing of her DH and I am just hoping she is ok. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Veteran's day   USAF  NOV 1953-SEP 1957   (ME)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I normally post on the Pet section but I do read all posts and enjoy the CC posts.  I was wondering if anyone has heard from Putt?  I did write her after the passing of her DH and I am just hoping she is ok. 
    Posted by ambergirl

Hi ambergirl -

Putt took a break from CC - not sure about the other boards.  Like you, we hope she is ok and will join us again soon.

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Posted by Ken1935

Happy Veterans Day Ken!

mothermitzi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank you mothermitzi, appreciate it and I hope she is ok too.  Have a good day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

How nice to have a day off in the middle of the week.  My boss always recognizes Veterans Day.  His grandfather was in WWI and his father in WWII. We also get the day after Thanksgiving off. In fact, we get just about every holiday.  I'm so lucky.  I won't retire until they push me out the door! I've already been over to the river.  Not as warm as yesterday with a bit of a cold wind blowing. I'm still recovering from the weekend and plan to take it easy.  I should wash my windows, but a cuppa and the paper are more appealing right now. 

Pingo, I know what it's like to have a big crowd in the house, too.  At my father's 85th there were too many people in the house, and at the time, I thought if he makes it to 90, we'll have it at a hall or restaurant. It was easier for people to mingle and I didn't have to worry about getting the house ready or having enough chairs, etc...  Also didn't have to worry about the trash. When the party was over, we took the leftover food and walked out.

TT, I'm going to make sugar cookies, too.  I have a turkey shaped cookie cutter and I use Fireman's Wife's sugar cookie recipe.  I can transport them easily in the car and will make the stuffing on site.  I have some sorrel left in one of my containers on the deck.  I'm going to cut it and bring it in today.  I'll cook it down for dinner.  I want to empty the pots and bring them in for the winter, after my cuppa of course.

mothermitzi 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Ken, somehow I don't feel it is right to say "Happy Veteran's Day" - what is there to be happy for, when so many of our men and woman right now struggle in combat? But I do acknowledge our veterans and honor them for the service they gave our country. And I thank them and say a prayer for them every day - hoping they all will come home soon. - Pingo

Posted by Ken1935

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Was out for the day with a friend, shopping for basket fillers, then we had lunch at a deli.  Came back for some of my grapenut pudding, and then, of course, "the cards"!  Nice to snap on the computer and see all these posts.

Pingo, what a nice idea to give gifts of the watercolors you have done.  Lucky people that get those.  Thoughtful of you to sent a gift TG basket to Texas.  I'm thinking - if I come up with anything else for your assortment, which BTW are things I'm sure they'll love, I'll post it.

Ken, thank you for serving and helping to keep us safe.

Mothermitzi, it certainly is a lot colder today than the past couple of days, in fact I wonder if I'm coming down with something, my hands have been like ice all day.  I thought Marshall's store was really cold, but my friend had her jacket off walking around in there - one of our thermostats is off!

Have you noticed they've sort of by-passed Thanksgiving?  I was looking for a cute little basket to tote my turkey cookies in, or maybe a heavy plastic plate related to Thanksgiving, but couldn't find a thing.

Icer, did I miss anything good on Y&R?  Thought yesterday was blah boring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hello Ken, somehow I don't feel it is right to say "Happy Veteran's Day" - what is there to be happy for, when so many of our men and woman right now struggle in combat? But I do acknowledge our veterans and honor them for the service they gave our country. And I thank them and say a prayer for them every day - hoping they all will come home soon. - Pingo In Response to Re: November Chat :
    Posted by pingo

You are right. It was an honor to serve. Most of my training school class mates in USAF went to Korea, Except me.....One didn't  come back

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I forgot to add in my post - I know we live in the same vicinity, and want to mention the Dollar Tree store on Route 1.  Most of those dollar stores carry a lot of junk, but I really like to hit this one every couple of months.  They carry name brands and I have picked up a lot of things there - today one of the things was liquid Oxydol (remember that?  My mother used to use the powder Oxydol for washes).  For $1 I'll give it a try.  Got a couple of large Christmas coloring/activity books, a large aluminum pan for my Sunday lasagna, bags of red filler for my Christmas baskets, red paper plates.  Just an FYI in case you haven't ever browsed in there.

Sections
Shortcuts