November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November Chat

"The boys will be here for TG, so I am collecting a TG package for our son's in-laws. I have several TJ items - as they do not have a TJ there. Pumpkin pancake mix, Maple Syrup, a bag of MA Cranberries, Cape Cod Taffy and of course TJ's wonderful truffles. - I am still looking for more. "

Since I had 2 cups of regular coffee when we were out yesterday, was able to stay up and watch my 10-11 Top Chef program, but then went to bed and only slept 2 hours before I was awake again.  To me it seems as tho I laid awake there all night long, but I'm hoping there were catnaps along the way!  Anyway, I love to solve "puzzles" of any kind, and was thinking of possible ideas for your TG package:  a jar of apple or pumpkin butter, small pkg. of leaf shaped maple sugar candy (Brooksby's has both of these); pot of red candy coated Boston Baked Beans candy; a red leaf trivet or hot plate tile (have seen these in Marshall's); how about including a N.E. magazine such as Yankee that would have beautiful pictures of N.E. foliage.  I didn't jot anything down, so am sure I've forgotten some of the ideas that came during 6 hours of wakefulness, but perhaps one of them will be an idea you can use.

I'm in the process of putting together an "Open one a day Sunshine Basket" for a family member who will be undergoing a back operation.  So far I have, a jar of lupini beans and a can of redskin peanuts (both of which he loves); a cryptogram book with a sharpened pencil taped to the outside; a wooden ball puzzle, one of those you take apart and then try to put back together again; Field and Stream magazine; I'm looking for a funny T shirt, and one other thing - for a total of 1 a day for a week.  I do love putting these baskets together.  Wish my funds were limitless.

P.S.  For yours - pkg of Maine Blueberry scone mix?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks tt, I knew I could count on you!
    Our son's in-laws usually keep TG at their ranch and have everyone stay over. They make a wonderful breakfast for everyone the next morning. So I was trying to do a "breakfast basket". Your apple or pumpkin butter as well as the blueberry scones will fit that very nicely (I was desperately trying to find something blueberry, but I just couldn't think of any). I have since added a box of herb tea and a bag of DD coffee. They don't have DD there either. My DIL spending 5 years here, loves it and miss it. Now I have to introduce it to her family.  Not to worry, I bought a bag to have for her, when she gets here. A box of Maple Leaf Cookies will also be in there.
    I am going to Marshall's to get that autumn leaf trivet, and I think I am done.
    Yeah! This Chat is great! Thanks so much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]We will get out of most of the Thanksgiving preps. I will probably cook the butternut squash. And probably make a fruit cake since they all like it. And since our son that we eat with is unemployed we will probably help him buy what else he needs so we can have a nice time together and a nice meal.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Fruitcake was always traditional at holiday time when I was a kid, and when I was a kid, I hated it.  Funny how things "grow" on you.  I never kept my mother's recipe.  Do you care to share yours with us?  I'm thinking it would be nice to put out with my Christmas spread.  Be sure to tell what you bake it in too, for example, I make a "plum pudding" (really a steamed pudding, no plums in it) that is steamed in a coffee can.  Thanks, Ken.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Heading out for groceries this morning, and this time of year am always on the lookout for little extras to tuck in the Christmas baskets.  Does anyone have any suggestions for little tidbits?  There are 5 baskets, and I set them all up individually according to the family's tastes.  Because we have a couple of new puppies in our family this year, will include a plush toy for each of them.  Wishing now that I had paid more attention to the dog bone booth at the Christmas Festival - home baked treats - wasn't thinking, I guess.  I was too preoccupied with jotting down things for Icer's "homemade gifts" dilemma.  Hindsight is always great, isn't it - at the honey booth I wish I had moved to the other side after buying the jar honey, and checked out the products - soaps, lotions - a little bar of honey soap would be fun for the gals to try.  ANYWAY, if anyone has any suggestions between now and Christmas, would you take a minute and jot them down on this thread?  Thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning TT- Well, I can chime in on the puppy toys!  I see you are a fan of the CTS.  My MIL always gets the cutest dog toys there, and they are very cheap.  We tend to stay away from any of the stuffed toys, as they are destroyed within minutes.  My dogs love the rubber toys and they do last long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Princess on the tip about stuffed toys - I was leaning towards a pink flamingo I saw!  It's very lightweight, tho bigger itself than the newest pup addition!  I'll definitely give a look/see to some of the rubber toys out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Heading out for groceries this morning, and this time of year am always on the lookout for little extras to tuck in the Christmas baskets.  Does anyone have any suggestions for little tidbits?  There are 5 baskets, and I set them all up individually according to the family's tastes.  Because we have a couple of new puppies in our family this year, will include a plush toy for each of them.  Wishing now that I had paid more attention to the dog bone booth at the Christmas Festival - home baked treats - wasn't thinking, I guess.  I was too preoccupied with jotting down things for Icer's "homemade gifts" dilemma.  Hindsight is always great, isn't it - at the honey booth I wish I had moved to the other side after buying the jar honey, and checked out the products - soaps, lotions - a little bar of honey soap would be fun for the gals to try.  ANYWAY, if anyone has any suggestions between now and Christmas, would you take a minute and jot them down on this thread?  Thanks.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Rotten Icer....Sorry "(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, friends,

Haven't caught up with the goings on here yet as I've been messing around with the camera DH got me for our anniversary.  Got it going.  Here are a couple of photos of Gracie.  The first one shows her spaying scar (and our wood stove in the background) if you look closely.  The second one includes the shed DH just built (it needs another coat of paint).  The crate will go in there and open via a doggie door to a kennel behind it on the long side; you can't see it at all in the photo.  Oh, and that's her favorite tug-o-war/fetch toy around her neck, too.  We were playing a rousing game when I took a moment to snap her photo.

If these photos mess up the loading of the thread for anyone please let me know so I can delete them.

Blessings and happy weekend!

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back in - what a beautiful BIG dog, Kargiver.  Our new additions are small, the youngest a 3 month old Imperial Shitzu that only weighs 3 1/2 lbs!  She's the size of a guinea pig, but so full of energy and personality.  She's the one that still has the new pup smell.  Love her to death.

And yes, Icer, bad, bad Icer.  You'll not be forgiven for a while, because you weren't appropriately thankful soon enough!  Bad girl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi kar -

Gracie is a beautiful dog! She looks very regal in the first photo! I'm envious of your big yard...until I think of the energy it takes to maintain it.  Lovely shots - thanks.

mothermitzi 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar - she is beautiful!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar...THAT is Gracie? Holy cow, she grew SO fast!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, friends!  I do think she looks regal there in that purple collar, too. :)

DH loves to maintain the property; it's his calming, meditative, prayerful time to himself.  So, no worries about the yard for me, anyway!  Could I be more spoiled?

Liz, it's really her!  Check out the progression of photos in the original "Cratetraining an 8 week old puppy" or something like that.  There's one of her at 15, 25, and today on the OP that I edited to add the photos.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG kar, what a "royal" and beautiful puppy, she now is. Thanks for the pictures. But don't post any more pix, I might just WANT to get another dog. Of course I am just kidding. I am so envious (can't you tell), but also happy for you.
    But truly, if I was 38 like you - I wouldn't wait a second to get a playmate for Gracie. But I am not 38 - far from it, and I do not think I could handle a large dog any longer. Those tiny dogs are sweet, but they really don't appeal to me. Maybe because my neighbor across the street has one of those yappy little ones. She leaves him/her on her porch for hours, when she goes out, and the poor thing becomes such a nuisance for everyone in the neighborhood. Barking up a storm at everything and everyone. Glad I am not that much home during the day. I have tried several times in person to tell her a nice way, that her lovely dog is not so loved by everyone around here (I know that for a fact). But of course, she will not listen. I know, I could complain to the town, but I also like to be a decent neighbor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

If I think of anything you can put in your baskets, I'll let you know.  Actually I just had a thought.  A friend gives my father a basket every Christmas and she includes small boxes of breakfast teas with maybe five or six teabags inside and a couple small bags of coffee. I've seen them in the stores - just enough for one pot of coffee - a holiday blend - something like that.  Am I making any sense? I think Green Mountain is the brand.  I've seen the teabags and coffee at the Christmas Tree Shop. 

Raw wind today.  I guess we're in for rain tonight and tomorrow.  I'm supposed to go to a graveside service in Bridgewater tomorrow.  I feel bad for the family if it's a washout.  Other than that, I plan to be around. I think it's shaping up to be a beef stew weekend for me. Today, we have three out sick at the office - at home with flu-like symptoms.  I keep washing  my hands and hope for the best.  Picked up acorn squash, beets, carrots and honey crisp apples at the farmer's market today. 

mothermitzi       

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dear Pingo, Gracie might make you envious now, but do you remember the Crate Training thread?  Gosh, I was about to lose my mind, and I cried so often at the beginning out of frustration and exhaustion. 

I take your story about the kennel barker to heart.  I set up her doghouse crate in the living room today and outfitted it with her pillow and wool blankets like it will be out there.  She's in there right now, chewing a rawhide with the door wide open so the crate will be familiar when we put it in the shed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the idea, Mothermitzi.  When I got groceries today I noticed that the mixed in-shell nuts 2lb. package comes in an attractive plastic mesh case this year instead of just a 2lb. bag.  It makes a nice looking "extra" to bring with me at Thanksgiving.  I'll buy a small basket with napkin liner and a set of nut crackers/picks to go with.  If, I can keep from opening it myself, that is.  Didn't want to put out the money for 4 lbs., but will pick one up to have here for Christmas.

Made whoopie pies this afternoon for the kids Sunday.  It's the same recipe that I used to get 18 out of - then 15 - now today I only got 13 plus one half of one for the baker to smear with filling and eat as is!  Guess I'm getting heavier handed with the size of the batter dollop as the years go by.  Tomorrow I'll make some sugar cookies (they always check Nana's cookie jar), and perhaps even fix the lasagna ahead of time and then just bake it Sunday.  Supposed to be a stormy day, so a good one to spend in the kitchen.

P.S.  Wish I had thought of beef stew - - -

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : Fruitcake was always traditional at holiday time when I was a kid, and when I was a kid, I hated it.  Funny how things "grow" on you.  I never kept my mother's recipe.  Do you care to share yours with us?  I'm thinking it would be nice to put out with my Christmas spread.  Be sure to tell what you bake it in too, for example, I make a "plum pudding" (really a steamed pudding, no plums in it) that is steamed in a coffee can.  Thanks, Ken.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
    Here it as as request. In her receipe book she calls it spice cake
    Into a kettle put 2 c. of strong coffee, 1/2 c. shortening, 1 pkg raisins(15 oz.), 1 t closes-cinimon, nutmeg, spk salt, 1 c sugar and boil 5 minutes.

let cool    really cool
    then add 2 eggs, mix,add 2 1/2 c. flour and 1 t baking soda

add 16 oz. (container) candied fruit and peel and small jar maracino cherries, cut.  bake f325-350 for 60-70 minutes
    Her pan has a center spout that comes out, so it is cooked in a ring.

If you have any questions let me know and I will ask the cookTongue out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I am on my lap top today. GOt a virus in PC and had to restart and then reinstall Windows 7,, so Son took it back to his house.  Thank heaven for lap top

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Ken.  That recipe sounds soooo good.  It reads like one that's been handed down.  Don't think I'll be waiting to make it for my Christmas spread, maybe for Thanksgiving.  I do have a cake pan with a hole in the center - Mothermitzi and I have talked about how we both have this particular cake pan of our mothers' and use it still.  Thanks again, and thank Mrs. Ken for me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

Thanks for the recipe. I'm in the group that likes fruitcake.  We seem to be a minority these days. I could make this in my bundt pan. Hope your computer is fixed soon.  Best to you and your wife. 

mothermitzi 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

When I was at S&S the other day I passed a display of JELL-O pumpkin spice pudding mix.  They were advertising triple layer pumpkin spice pie made with a graham cracker crust and Cool Whip. All the recipe copies were torn off the display and have not been replaced since.  Anyway, I bought two packages and googled the recipe, which you can get off the JELL-O website.  Sounds good to me. We will have a traditional pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, and I thought this might be an alternative for Christmas. I must be a true consumer because once I saw the picture of the pie on the display, I bought the pudding mix.   

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken, I have never made fruit cakes, but this recipe sounds so interesting, I will give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.
    tt, the pan with the hole in the middle you are mentioning, it that an angle food cake pan or a bunt pan? I have both.
    mm, I also saw those pumpkin spice jellos. Bought two boxes. But I am not making the cake they display, even though it looks wonderful. I am going to use them tomorrow experimenting making ice cream. Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream. I have a recipe, that uses instant vanilla pudding jello. Will use the PS instead. May have to add a bit more of the spices though, since cold things usually take the edge of the spices.
    Have a house guest coming for a week. He was suppose to arrive yesterday, but decided to stop in Atlantic City on the way. Fortunately I could save the dinner, I had made halfway (he is vegetarian) and Mr. P brought home a pizza. Our guest is attending some conference in Boston. He had rented a car and are planning to drive to Boston every day. I am sure he doesn't know how impossible the commute will be, but that is his problem. Maybe he will decide to take a hotel room after all. I believe the reason, he asked to stay with us is the problems he will have food wise. And of course he will save a bundle.
    I can hear the rain drumming on the skylight above me. Hopefully we will miss the worst of this storm. It looked pretty bad further down south last night.
    You all have a nice day. Stay dry - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    Wasn't going to post today because some days I'm sure I post too much, but seeing both your posts, Mothermitzi and Pingo - here I am!

How come I didn't see the pumpkin spice pudding display?  Maybe I didn't walk down that aisle yesterday.  You know me, quite a few Cool Whip and instant pudding recipes have made it into my recipe box!  Did I tell you about combining instant lemon pudding and just a little Cool Whip and serving it in parfait glasses?  That was so good, like a chiffon.

The pan I use was called a tube pan, Pingo.  It's not as big as an angel food pan and doesn't  have a removable center.  I don't think they make them any more - I have searched each kitchen store I come upon and only see the bundt pans with the cone in the middle now.  Each time I use it I check it all over good, expecting to see either pit marks or a hole, my mother used it long before I started.  I thought you had said you have your mother's too, Mothermitzi?

Didn't this same guest stay with you last year, Pingo?  I seem to remember someone having a guest with a similar agenda - but then again - maybe I'm confused (Oh no) as to which one of the Chatters it was.

My kind of day with the rain hitting the window.  Got the storm glass part of the back door in last night, so the kitchen is nice and toasty.  I'll get the cookie dough made and chilled and roll them out later - turkeys, and maybe I'll do some Christmas trees and Santas, I have different colored sugar sprinkles.

My cousin found Woman's Day and slipped a copy between the doors yesterday while I was out.  I had told her how I never see it at S&S to pick up anymore, and wanted to subscribe to it.  There's a card in it for a really cheap rate, $5.95, I think for 15 issues.  They used to have some good recipes.

Ok, for someone who thinks they post too much, I've filled up a lot of space again, so I'm off for the day.  Have a nice warm, toasty Saturday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I love fruitcake, but I'm the fussy crazy girl that likes it the old fashioned (very potent) way made with macerated fruit so I've never bothered.  What a pain! 

mm, your pup is 3.5 lbs?  I think Gracie might have weighed more than that when she was born!