November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Re: November Chat

It's not a bundt pan. I think angel found pan might be it. You have to have it so the inside with the cake around the tube lifts away from the outside. Otherwise it would impossible to get out. Let me know how it comes out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Well, I am also one, that post too much and my iota for today is already used up, but I just had to post this.
    It should actually go in the recipe section, but since it is mainly for us old-timers, I post it here.
    Does anyone remember IRISH INDIAN from the printed Chat? I went through my old recipes this morning and found this one ??? in between a couple of soup recipes, I was looking for. I think she is wishing us a happy TG, from where ever she is.

A Harvest Pie

6 to 8 sliced cooking apples
    1 cup Cranberries, chopped
    1 cup dried apricots, chopped
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbs. flour
    A bit of salt
    1/2 teasp. cinnamon
    1/4 teasp. nutmeg
    Butter
    Milk
    Pastry for double-crust pie or lattice top

Mix the fruit together. Blend in the sugar, flour, salt, spices, add to the mixed fruit. Line a pie plate with bottom crust, pour in the filling, dot with butter. Spread a little milk on the top crust. Using your fingers, sprinkle with flour. Slit the top crust, to let steam escape. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 - 40 minutes.
    IRISH INDIAN

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Waiting for iron to heat up:  Boy, does that sound good, Pingo.  Never saw that recipe before.  Are you going to make it?  Sure sounds like a holiday pie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That sounds like a delicious recipe, but word to the wise, I think that makes enough for 2 decent sized pies if they are the regular 9 inches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]That sounds like a delicious recipe, but word to the wise, I think that makes enough for 2 decent sized pies if they are the regular 9 inches.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Maybe not - I use 7 very large apples for my apple crisp in a 9" plate.  It all cooks down, and I don't think using only 6 regular size apples and then adding 2 cups of chopped apricots and cranberries would overflow the dish.  One of us Chatters will have to try it and see - - - - - Pingo, you're elected!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, maybe you're right, tt.  I hadn't thought of the smaller things fitting between the apples; I was considering overall volume probably incorrectly.  Go for it, Pingo!

DH always wants a little tart made from the extra crust I cut off and re-roll so I always need a little extra filling anyway.  His mom always did it, and he thought that's how everyone makes pie.  A pie and a tart.  The first time I made a pie there was no tart and he was totally confused and disappointed.  Husbands can be so adorable!  Of couse, every pie since has come with a tart!  Good thing I'm better at rolling crust than I was when I first started making pies.  I never had much left over before I practiced quite a bit.  Whoever coined the phrase "easy as pie" never made one.

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Saturday To All -

Pingo, of course I remember Irish Indian.  I make her Irish bread every St. Patrick's Day. I've posted the recipe. We speak of her here occasionally. She was a regular CC contributor. I am intrigued by your ice-cream.  Hope it turns out well. Sounds yummy.  The last time I made ice-cream, we were kids and it seemed to take forever. Good luck with your house guest.  I admire you for catering to their dietary needs.  If he were at my house, I'd be handing him a list of local restaurants that serve vegetarian dishes!  

TT, I mentioned the JELL-O recipe with you in mind because I know you love desserts made with Cool Whip. Me, not so much, but the kids like it, and it looks delicious in the picture.  Yes, the bundt pan was my mother's.  You have a good memory.  Today is a good day to stay inside.  I have a bit of a head cold and may go to the local Y and sit in the steam room for awhile.  That always helps. 
    I was supposed to drive to Bridgewater for a graveside service this morning, but that is not going to happen.  I feel bad about it, but the driving looks bad and I already have a cold.

Kar, I think tt is the one with a new pup in the family.  My cats weigh about 15 pounds each.  Similar to small dogs!!

Have a great day everybody!

mothermitzi 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I use quite a bit of apples in my pies. Have never really counted how many. I peel and cut them, until I see the pile in my bowl. But I know for sure, I use more than six.
    So, since you have elected me me to be a tester, I will be the guinea pig. I have everything in my house - so maybe tomorrow??? But one thing for sure, I will cut down on the sugar. 1-1/4 cup sounds like an awful lot to me - even with the cranberries. And the apricots are sweet too.
    If I have too much "stuff" - I will make small individual tarts.
    Kar, you cracked me up an that one, but it is a great idea. I would never have thought of that - and I am usually pretty innovative as far as not wasting any food. Bless your DH's mother.
    Do you guys think it will go with my PS Ice cream? Me not so much. Well, I also have some cool whip in my freezer. I just need to make that PS ice cream as a trial for my homecoming "kids".
    Boy, looks like I am going to have a busy Sunday. But that is good. While Mr. P is entertaining HIS guest, I can keep busy. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Ken - that is the Angel Food Cake Pan. Glad you responded. I have one and will definitely try to make that fruit cake. Sounds so good.

[QUOTE]It's not a bundt pan. I think angel found pan might be it. You have to have it so the inside with the cake around the tube lifts away from the outside. Otherwise it would impossible to get out. Let me know how it comes out.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : Maybe not - I use 7 very large apples for my apple crisp in a 9" plate.  It all cooks down, and I don't think using only 6 regular size apples and then adding 2 cups of chopped apricots and cranberries would overflow the dish.  One of us Chatters will have to try it and see - - - - - Pingo, you're elected!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I use at least six or seven apples for one pie and they do cook down, leaving room for the other ingredients. This pie sounds good.  Irish Indian always contributed good recipes. A lot of good flavors going on in this pie.

mothermitzi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Oh Ken - that is the Angle Food Cake Pan. Glad you responded. I have one and will definitely try to make that fruit cake. Sounds so good. In Response to Re: November Chat :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I'm not using my angel food pan.  I'll grease and flour the tube pan and I'm sure it will come out.  My mother always used it for all her baking and had no problem.  It does sound delicious.  I'll put the ingredients on my shopping list for this next week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I don't have the tube pan you are describing tt. So I will use my Angel Food Cake pan. Sounds like it will stick too much in the Bunt Pan. Who knows???

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : I'm not using my angel food pan.  I'll grease and flour the tube pan and I'm sure it will come out.  My mother always used it for all her baking and had no problem.  It does sound delicious.  I'll put the ingredients on my shopping list for this next week.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I think if you use Pam or grease and flour as tt says, you'll be fine.

mothermitzi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think greasing and flouring will make for easy turnout, especially if it is a straight edge pan that can have a knife run around the edge before tipping over.  We'll see - each of us with our own method!  BTW, I always put a piece of wax paper cut to size in the bottom of my cake pans too, makes for easy turnout, and easily peels off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]I don't have the tube pan you are describing tt. So I will use my Angle Food Cake pan. Sounds like it will stick too much in the Bunt Pan. Who knows??? In Response to Re: November Chat :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

An "ANGLE" food man.  Now that sounds interesting...Is that for cooking square meals?

(I' badWink)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Finishing off my breakfast with a cup of coffee and a turkey cookie that has a red and yellow tail!  The nuts didn't make it through the night unopened either - remembering how the kids love to stand by the basket and crack open the nuts (whether or not they eat them!), poured them into a wooded bowl I have and had a few myself.  All I have left to do is make the lasagna this morning.

Never did start that painting I bought at CTS, and I know the 14 yr. old girl is very artistic and loves to put colors together.  I'm going to put that out with the extra paints I bought and see if she'd like to start/do that today.  Not a very interesting picture from her point of view, I'm sure (front door with decorated corn hanging on it and artificial leaves around the door), but she may like working with the paints anyway.

It's trying to clear off here, tho I notice cars going by still have their windshield wipers on.  Looks like a clear week ahead, so will try to get as much of my Christmas basket shopping done as I can.  Love hunting for those little special treasures that will mean something to that particular family.

Wishing you all a nice Sunday -

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, yes, it was tt with the little dog, sorry!  I get your cat avatars mixed up.

Ken, "angle" - very funny.  Yes, for nice square meals use angular pans. :)

PAM makes a baking spray with flour in it.  Works great for that purpose, better than just regular PAM.

Pingo, my mother-in-law is a dear woman.  She shopped and cooked for 4 kids (3 boys and a girl).  I have a hard enough time with just me and DH.  And, I ALWAYS cut the sugar in fruit pies.  No one I know likes them sickeningly sweet.  I have no idea why they call for so much.  I also taste the filling before I bake the pie.  The one time I didn't do a taste test, I was disgusted when it came out because I actually got it too sour that time. 

DH is out with Gracie; I better shower and clean up around here while I have the chance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You are a funny man Ken. I have now corrected it. You did not embarrass me, as I know it was not said in a mean way. We "Norwegians" (which I am not) have a different way of spelling sometimes.
    But now I have two for you. --- I think angel found pan might be it. --- Please send an angel to find a pan for me. The pie may make itself.
    And is ----An "ANGLE" food man---- the man that makes the square meals?
    He-he! T*t for Tat.
    Have a nice day - P

ETA. Imagine that, dottie will not let me use a word/sentense, we (even kids) use every day.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : An "ANGLE" food man.  Now that sounds interesting...Is that for cooking square meals? (I' bad )

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-air-of-one-night. Show The-air-of-one-night's posts

[QUOTE]I am on my lap top today. GOt a virus in PC and had to restart and then reinstall Windows 7,, so Son took it back to his house.  Thank heaven for lap top
    Thank heaven for laptop? What about son? Gee Ken ..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Pingo:   LOL  that was a good one.I correct you and you give it back. Good for you.

Air'   Yes thank heavens for son to. Still have not go it back. Have one more anti-virus program to get operating.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken my friend, you are welcome to correct me any time you want. In fact I appreciate it.
    I came to this country knowing very limited English. But I knew, if I had to succeed in this country, I needed to be able to speak, read and write the common language. I worked hard at it and have been corrected thousands of times - not minding it at all. Every correction was a step for the better. I know I am not perfect and never will be.
    Bless you - P

[QUOTE]Pingo:   LOL  that was a good one.I correct you and you give it back. Good for you. Air'   Yes thank heavens for son to. Still have not go it back. Have one more anti-virus program to get operating.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sticker shock in B&N yesterday - I stopped in to pick up a paperback edition on the Best Seller list - they were currently out of it but offered to get it for me within a couple of days.  When I asked the price - $15 - for a paperback!  Not even a soft cover, mind you, but a paperback!  I know I've been spoiled the past few months with my finds at Used Books ($1 or in some cases with a coupon, free), but $15?  The thrifty Yankee in me wanted to check out U.B. and see what I could find there, but since it was for a gift basket, I couldn't quite bring myself to put in a used book.  Ended up buying one of Baldacci's for $10.  I'm still stinging from it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I feel your "sting". Books have become so expensive lately. I have several book lovers on my Christmas list, but I know for sure, they will not appreciate me paying top Dollars for a book, they will read once and then put on their shelf. Thanks God for libraries and used book stores.
    With the economy today, I feel it would be fine to put a second hand book in a basket. I would never give it as a gift all by itself, but in a basket with a lot of other stuff - I would think it would fine. I would certainly not mind to receive a basket like that. Especially, if the book given to me was by an author I love.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I just finished reading Dan Brown's "Lost Symbol". It was great. OK, this should be on the thread about reading. SO what?  Now I'm reading James Patterson's The Murder of King Tut", supposedly a non-fiction.  I went on line to see what I could find about King Tut and there is a difference of opinion as to whether his death was accidental or not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Newest pup just stopped in to see Nana on her way home from the vet's.  I was wrong about how much she weighed before - she weighed 1 1/2 lbs when they got her and now is 2.7 lbs.!  She was all wrapped up in her little pink blanket (a hand me down from my granddaughter), and so cuddly.  Cheerio is still sleeping, so I'm curious to see her reaction when she smells the pup on me.

Ken, paperback book I wanted at B&N was the newest one by Lehane, "Boston Noir" - that was the one that is $15.  I ended up with Baldacci's "Divine Justice".  If you haven't ever read him, he's worth a try next time you're looking for someone to read.  In particular, the characters in some, this one included, are really interesting.