November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Re: November Chat

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]Newest pup just stopped in to see Nana on her way home from the vet's.  I was wrong about how much she weighed before - she weighed 1 1/2 lbs when they got her and now is 2.7 lbs.!  She was all wrapped up in her little pink blanket (a hand me down from my granddaughter), and so cuddly.  Cheerio is still sleeping, so I'm curious to see her reaction when she smells the pup on me. Ken, paperback book I wanted at B&N was the newest one by Lehane, "Boston Noir" - that was the one that is $15.  I ended up with Baldacci's "Divine Justice".  If you haven't ever read him, he's worth a try next time you're looking for someone to read.  In particular, the characters in some, this one included, are really interesting.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
    I love Bladacci and read "Divine Justice" and "First Family" and have purchased and will read next "True Blue".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2.7 lbs, tt?!  It must fit in your palm! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Kargiver,
    I wonder if this is what they call the "teacup" breed.  She is tiny,fluffy, fluffy fur, even covering her eyes, but the personality of dog with a much bigger heart.  They had a shitzu previously, and the personality was the same - funloving and energetic - my son said my 5 yr. old granddaughter is always saying, "Mom, she untied my shoelaces again!"  My DIL told me she will get no bigger than 5 lbs.  It's like holding a little stuffed toy.  I'm still going to get that big unstuffed pink flamingo for her.  I checked out the rubber toys and I don't think her mouth is big enough to get around any of them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have a Shih Tzu and what you have is a teapcup breed.  My Amber was 5 pounds when I got her at 12 weeks so I can't imagine 2 pounds!  She now weighs 13 pounds.  Puppy sounds adorable though and you hit the personality on the head.  Very loving and intelligent dogs, but stubborn : )  Enjoy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, your little fluff ball of love will adore the stuffingless flamingo.  Gracie has a stuffingless duck (being a bird dog it seemed fitting), and she carries it around more than her other toys.  The squeaker in the head didn't last long (her other squeakers survived quite nicely), but she still likes it.  In fact, she's using it as a pillow right this very second.  Wait, I'll grab the camera. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]I have a Shih Tzu and what you have is a teapcup breed.  My Amber was 5 pounds when I got her at 12 weeks so I can't imagine 2 pounds!  She now weighs 13 pounds.  Puppy sounds adorable though and you hit the personality on the head.  Very loving and intelligent dogs, but stubborn : )  Enjoy!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Good morning Ambergirl,
    Thanks for your post.  It's actually my son's pup, and while I don't agree with the genetic altering they must do to create these tiny dogs, to see her is to love her. I just love burying my nose in her fluffy little head and sniffing in all that good puppy smell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I too worry about the genetic altering people are doing on breeds.  A lot of these dogs have health issues because of it.  You can register some of these dogs, but they are not AKC recognized, which is a shame since you pay so much money for them.  But they can't breed the personality out of a Shih Tzu : )  You will get the most fun since you don't have to deal with the puppy stages of training as Kar can attest to and I well remember!  And yes, puppies like babies smell scrumptious!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, you're right - I'll never forget it!  I swear, anyone who says, "Oh, a puppy, how FUN!" has never had one.  Being a puppy Grandma would be a LOT more fun. :)

Gracie still has a little bit of that intoxicating puppy scent, and she's so affectionate.  I've never known a dog that licks your face so aggressively you can barely breath.  It's almost like being waterboarded! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, that was so funny!!  I cracked up thinking about being waterboarded!!  I wish Amber would kiss, but she doesn't : (  Never has and not sure why, but what she does do, that I love is she will rub her face against mine over and over.  God how much do we love our dogs!  And I agree, a puppy grandma is for me!  I love Dozer, the mastiff that my daughters boyfriend has and he loves me, but happy he don't live with me with all that drool!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]I too worry about the genetic altering people are doing on breeds.  A lot of these dogs have health issues because of it.  You can register some of these dogs, but they are not AKC recognized, which is a shame since you pay so much money for them.  But they can't breed the personality out of a Shih Tzu : )  You will get the most fun since you don't have to deal with the puppy stages of training as Kar can attest to and I well remember!  And yes, puppies like babies smell scrumptious!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Just noticed, I'm not spelling it right - sounds like "Shitzu", but I like the correct spelling much better!  I'll have to write it down a couple of times so I'll remember it.  Thanks.  Shih Tzu  Shih Tzu  Shih Tzu  Shih Tzu (on and on and on - - -)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never would have noticed!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you are such a kind person. How is the pumpkin pie coming along? I bet your house smells divine.
    I have been running around all day. First to the doc for my monthly B-12 shot - then all over looking for a last thing to put in a New England care package for my son's in-laws in TX. I have most of what is going in, but I was looking some silly "turkey candles" - or something else TG, which was not napkins and such. The candles used to be everywhere, but now when I need them, they are no where to be found. CTS had them about three weeks ago. Wish I had picked them up then. The lady at CTS told me, they may get some in later today. So tmw before I close the box, I will run back there and take a look. But I am totally beat. Just sitting down now relaxing with a nice cup of Holiday Chai Tea (it has flavors of cinnamon, ginger and rum) - delicious.
    But I did get a new battery at Radio Shack for my meat thermometer. It went out a few months ago.  Tiny little thing, no one carries.  Couldn' t have cooked the turkey w/o it. (Ladies hear? Check your meat thermometers.)
    Enjoy your homegrown pie - how I envy you.

[QUOTE]I never would have noticed!!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Try giving Russo's Candies a call.  They may have special Thanksgiving candies.  --  -  --  Oh,  just put on my glasses, and you wrote "candles", not "candies"!  Forget it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you are such a blessing.

The pies came out delicious, thank you.  I made 3 tarts and only 2 remain so I'm quite positive. :)  I tasted the goop before I baked them.

Now the house smells like pumpkin pie, roasted chicken with fresh poultry herbs, garlic potato wedges and home grown butternut squash.  And, dear BIL called to say he won't be here for dinner after all.  What can ya do.  I'm sure he'll have pie.

Here's a photo of the pies.  A little of the crust burned, but not so bad we can't eat it.

And, here's the promised one of this morning with that stuffingless duck under Gracie's head:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi kar -

The pies look yummy and Gracie is so adorable on her bed.  Wonder if she knows how lucky she is!  I bet she does.

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Those pies would win a ribbon at a country fair, Kargiver - they look delicious. And, you've got to know how big Gracie looks to me after holding our little pint size beauty!  She's a beautiful, healthy looking dog laying there with her little stuffingless toy!  Great job with taking and posting the pictures, BTW.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : Here it as as request. In her receipe book she calls it spice cake Into a kettle put 2 c. of strong coffee, 1/2 c. shortening, 1 pkg raisins(15 oz.), 1 t closes-cinimon, nutmeg, spk salt, 1 c sugar and boil 5 minutes. let cool    really cool then add 2 eggs, mix,add 2 1/2 c. flour and 1 t baking soda add 16 oz. (container) candied fruit and peel and small jar maracino cherries, cut.  bake f325-350 for 60-70 minutes Her pan has a center spout that comes out, so it is cooked in a ring. If you have any questions let me know and I will ask the cook
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Bought the ingredients today, Ken, so between now and Monday I'll be making it.  Also, bought stew meat for a beef stew, Mothermitzi.  Plan to make a big pot of it and bring some over to the convalescent tomorrow.

P.S.  Also bought the stuffingless pink flamingo, but know I won't be able to keep it until Christmas.  Guess it will be a little Thanksgiving gift next week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  :) 

Just got home from taking dear BIL to Logan Airport this morning.  He forgot his cell in our car, and I had to turn around and go back (at Rt. 128) after he called collect from a pay phone.  What a rigamarole!!  But, he got it, long story short.  Gracie was with me so that made for a verrrrry long trip for her, but she did great.  Glad to be home.  I was so hungry...guess what I had for lunch!!

Have a great afternoon, friends.

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Can't wait to hear how the fruitcake comes out.  I'd like to make one after I get back from Thanksgiving.  I still have one bowl of beef stew left.  My father has finished his portion.  In addition to carrots and potatoes, I threw in a couple of parsnips and a handful of green beans - yummy. Good day for a stew.

mothermitzi 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : Bought the ingredients today, Ken, so between now and Monday I'll be making it.  Also, bought stew meat for a beef stew, Mothermitzi.  Plan to make a big pot of it and bring some over to the convalescent tomorrow. P.S.  Also bought the stuffingless pink flamingo, but know I won't be able to keep it until Christmas.  Guess it will be a little Thanksgiving gift next week.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

GOOD LUCK

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you may not recall this - but I certainly do. Hubby forgot his phone in my car the last time he travelled overseas (in August). He had already gone through security and was in the lounge, when he realized, he did not have his phone - and he just cannot live/do business without it. He tried to call me from there, but I do not answer (or hear) my cell when driving. So I got all the way home, when my son called me and told me to get right back in the car and drive back to Logan. ----at 9:30 at night with heavy down pour, mind you. It was nightmarish. Since time was essential I was speeding all the way and had to park illegally at the curb, running in to the security check (praying all the way, that my car would not be towed)- where a BA-lady met me. When I got back to my car, a trooper approached me. I explained what had happened and in tears apologized profusely. He told me, that since, I didn't take off from him - he would not give me a ticket. Don't know how I made it back home, I was shaking all over.
    So, I can truly sympathize with you and Gracie.

[QUOTE]Thanks, ladies!  :)  Just got home from taking dear BIL to Logan Airport this morning.  He forgot his cell in our car, and I had to turn around and go back (at Rt. 128) after he called collect from a pay phone.  What a rigamarole!!  But, he got it, long story short.  Gracie was with me so that made for a verrrrry long trip for her, but she did great.  Glad to be home.  I was so hungry...guess what I had for lunch!! Have a great afternoon, friends. ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, not funny at the time for sure, but my DH and I enjoyed your story just now.  Glad it also turned out good.  He's home with a thrown out back. :(

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Hi tt - Can't wait to hear how the fruitcake comes out.  I'd like to make one after I get back from Thanksgiving.  I still have one bowl of beef stew left.  My father has finished his portion.  In addition to carrots and potatoes, I threw in a couple of parsnips and a handful of green beans - yummy. Good day for a stew. mothermitzi 
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

Made a huge pot of stew and doled out 6 generous helpings to take to my son's today, leaving maybe 3 portions for myself.  Tried something different this time - usually I just use the broth made from browning and stewing the meat and add a beef bouillon or two at the end if needed for added flavor.  At some point months ago, I had picked up a container of Wolfgang Puck's beef broth and that was sitting on my shelf.  Threw that in after the meat had stewed a couple of hours.  Beautiful brown color and really good flavor.  I didn't dare check the sodium amount in it because I'm sure that helped make it so flavorful.  Anyway, just an FYI to try.
    Bet it would make a delicious gravy thickened up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Beautiful pies and dog kar!

I am having people bring dessert for TG.  Believe it or not, I don't like any desserts (I don't like ANYTHING sweet), so it I figure let people who actually like it bring something they (and others will like).  My MIL has a very BIG sweet tooth, and has already shown me the recipies for the 6 (yes 6!) desserts she wants to  make!  Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Beautiful pies and dog kar! I am having people bring dessert for TG.  Believe it or not, I don't like any desserts (I don't like ANYTHING sweet), so it I figure let people who actually like it bring something they (and others will like).  My MIL has a very BIG sweet tooth, and has already shown me the recipies for the 6 (yes 6!) desserts she wants to  make! 
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

I know just where she's coming from - I love sweets and love to bake and use holiday time to do them all up.  Makes no sense to do that baking (and eating) for just one person!