November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November Chat

I've started the fruitcake, and I feel like Pingo here - you know - how she alters the recipes - I couldn't see pouring in a whole canister of raisins, so I put about 1 cup in the mixture to boil.  I'm realizing as I smell this that you could probably use prepared mincemeat, I think it's got all the same ingredients, except I don't know what the final boiled down amount should be.  Anyway, because I did not use 1 lb. of raisins, I have a lot more liquid cooling down than probably the recipe would end up with if I followed amounts exactly.  I didn't cut up the whole jar of cherries either, and I'll only use 1/2 lb. of the candied fruit.  So, Ken, you're completely off the hook if this fruitcake doesn't come out as expected!  I think mine will actually be more of a "spice" cake, not completely loaded with the fruit.  Just waiting for the mixture to cool (taking forever) and then I'll pour what raisins are in there and enough of the liquid to make a cup and start adding that slowly to the rest of the ingredients.  We'll see - - - - - Don't tell your wife!  Awful, she shares her recipe and then I go and change it all around!

P.S.  3:50 p.m.  What a thing of beauty.  Used almost all the boiled mixture.  Floured and greased the tube pan with wax paper on the bottom.  Baked 45 minutes when tester came out clean.  Ran knife around edges and when I tipped it over onto a rack it fell right out of pan, no problem.  It's right side up now, cooling - I'll cut into it to have a slice with my stew for supper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I think your fruit cake will be just fine - it is just the fill you cut down on. But I hope you will remember the amounts you used - so you can let us know. Sometimes the lightened up recipes are a lot better. These days our taste buds have changed a lot. I know mine have.
    I won't be making mine until after TG. It is crazy around here right now. Our house guest is still here. He took his car one day, and decided that was not the greatest idea - so now I drop him at Oakgroove in the morning (I actually don't mind as long as I get him out of the house - I am bad, I know). I refused to pick him up in the evening, as I am cooking dinner for all of us. So, he takes the T to Oakgrove, then a bus to Reading, where hubby will pick him up. Mr. P did suggest, that we eat out in the evenings, but my Scandinavian heritage tells me, it is totally ridiculous to spend that much money to eat out every night, just because someone decided to be cheap (sorry).

On a different note tt, the meat manager at Shaw's on Rt. 1 - next to Target - has a manager's special. He sells his best ground beef for 88 cents/lbs. We were 3 ladies there in shock. Could this really be possible? So, I got hold of the butcher and he explained to me, it is perfectly fine meat, but he has tons of it out back and he wants to get rid of it. I picked up 3 packages, and stuck them in my freezer for later. One of them will be for your beef soup. Just wanted you to know in case you get down that way this weekend.

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    I've started the fruitcake, and I feel like Pingo here - you know - how she alters the recipes - I couldn't see pouring in a whole canister of raisins, so I put about 1 cup in the mixture to boil.  I'm realizing as I smell this that you could probably use prepared mincemeat, I think it's got all the same ingredients, except I don't know what the final boiled down amount should be.  Anyway, because I did not use 1 lb. of raisins, I have a lot more liquid cooling down than probably the recipe would end up with if I followed amounts exactly.  I didn't cut up the whole jar of cherries either, and I'll only use 1/2 lb. of the candied fruit.  So, Ken, you're completely off the hook if this fruitcake doesn't come out as expected!  I think mine will actually be more of a "spice" cake, not completely loaded with the fruit.  Just waiting for the mixture to cool (taking forever) and then I'll pour what raisins are in there and enough of the liquid to make a cup and start adding that slowly to the rest of the ingredients.  We'll see - - - - - Don't tell your wife!  Awful, she shares her recipe and then I go and change it all around!
    Posted by toytrumpet

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I've started the fruitcake, and I feel like Pingo here - you know - how she alters the recipes - I couldn't see pouring in a whole canister of raisins, so I put about 1 cup in the mixture to boil.  I'm realizing as I smell this that you could probably use prepared mincemeat, I think it's got all the same ingredients, except I don't know what the final boiled down amount should be.  Anyway, because I did not use 1 lb. of raisins, I have a lot more liquid cooling down than probably the recipe would end up with if I followed amounts exactly.  I didn't cut up the whole jar of cherries either, and I'll only use 1/2 lb. of the candied fruit.  So, Ken, you're completely off the hook if this fruitcake doesn't come out as expected!  I think mine will actually be more of a "spice" cake, not completely loaded with the fruit.  Just waiting for the mixture to cool (taking forever) and then I'll pour what raisins are in there and enough of the liquid to make a cup and start adding that slowly to the rest of the ingredients.  We'll see - - - - - Don't tell your wife!  Awful, she shares her recipe and then I go and change it all around! P.S.  3:50 p.m.  What a thing of beauty.  Used almost all the boiled mixture.  Floured and greased the tube pan with wax paper on the bottom.  Baked 45 minutes when tester came out clean.  Ran knife around edges and when I tipped it over onto a rack it fell right out of pan, no problem.  It's right side up now, cooling - I'll cut into it to have a slice with my stew for supper.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Congratulations.  I hope it tastes good.  We just like all that fruit I guess, and so do our kids.  Two of them ask their mother to bake them one every CHristmas

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm on my way out to a benefit for an animal shelter, but saw your post and will post a quick one.  It was good, but definitely needed more raisins than what I put in, for the added flavor.  The 1/2 lb. of citrus was just the right amount for me, and next time I will add more cherries than I did too.  I ended up using almost all of the liquid that was boiled - so, I didn't vary too much from your wife's original recipe, just on the citrus amount.  Nice recipe to have.  Thank her for me for sharing.  I have already cut it in half and frozen one half for Thanksgiving.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

princess, I didn't like sweets when I was a kid, and my great-grandmother didn't for most of her adult life.  She started eating pie and such when she was in her 70s.  Lived for 20 more years, though, so she made up for lost dessert time, LOL.

We're downing the second pie, the one I had intended to freeze for another time.  Oh, well. 

tt, the first time I make anything is always an experiment.  Glad yours did justice to Ken's wife's recipe. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ken, the second day of fruitcake was even better.  As with any recipe like this, the flavors intensify after a day or two.  It's a lovely moist cake and I had a slice with my coffee this morning.  I think perhaps I did not make the coffee really strong enough and will correct that next time too.  So pretty to look at, will definitely make one to slice and put out for my Christmas buffet.  I like the fact that it doesn't call for either liquor or nuts, thinking of those who may avoid either.  Anyway, the recipe has been folded and added to my recipe box.  Thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Ken, the second day of fruitcake was even better.  As with any recipe like this, the flavors intensify after a day or two.  It's a lovely moist cake and I had a slice with my coffee this morning.  I think perhaps I did not make the coffee really strong enough and will correct that next time too.  So pretty to look at, will definitely make one to slice and put out for my Christmas buffet.  I like the fact that it doesn't call for either liquor or nuts, thinking of those who may avoid either.  Anyway, the recipe has been folded and added to my recipe box.  Thanks.
    Posted by toytrumpet

The two cakes that we will make will be shipped back to Mass, one to Wilmington, and one to Groton.
    As for the coffee, she uses a 2 heaping serving spoons of instant, in 2 mugs of water. It will stay moist for at least a week

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Debating whether to hit the stores or get my floors and cabinets cleaned today.  Having a couple of girlfriends for lunch Friday, since I know I'll be bringing home the majority of the pumpkin soup I make for Thanksgiving.  Guess the cleaning should win out, I can always hit the stores tomorrow.  Starting to feel the pressure now when I look at those baskets and see how little I actually have in them.  This year hasn't been a banner year so far, of coming across just the right little things.

Mothermitzi, are you leaving a day or two early for Thanksgiving?  I came across a very small almost hidden recipe for cookie decorating frosting in a mag that came yesterday, and will give that a try (always trying to make one that won't stay so soft that it flattens down when another cookie rests upon it).  Hoping meringue powder is readily available in S&S or Shaw's.  Here it is:  Beat 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, 2 tsps. meringue powder, and 2 tbsps. water on low speed in electric mixer until smooth.  If coloring, use gel food coloring.  I'm thinking of outlining and defining the turkey's tails with white frosting and then sprinkling colored sugar or sprinkles on that.  If it works, I'll use the same recipe for outlining my gingerbread men who have remained frostingless, at Christmas.

Almost time for Sunday Morning, and want to jump in for a quick shower before then.  Hope you all have a nice Sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

What is meringue powder, a dried powdered egg white?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I guess.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Meringue powder is a pasteurized egg product which is designed to replace beaten egg whites in recipes. The primary advantage of meringue powder is that since it is pasteurized, it does not contain potential sources of food borne illness such as salmonella. This trait makes it ideal for recipes which call for uncooked egg whites. Many baking supply stores sell meringue powder, and it can sometimes also be found at more general markets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Ken.  That's what I figured.  I knew the advantage was that you didn't have to make "boiled frosting", something I never mastered.  Let's hope S&S or Shaw's carry it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I guess I mostly use meringue in cookies or pies that are cooked in high temps for 10 min  or more, and eaten in a day, so it has not come up.  Yes, uncooked egg things should not sit for long- pasteurization is a life saver.  Makes sense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I get the powdered egg whites at Market Basket, brand Deb-el.  It does make great royal icing.  Have made many gingerbread houses with it, it dries hard as rock.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Hats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Thanks for that recipe.  I don't intend to frost my turkey cookies, but I do frost Christmas cookies.  I'm never really satisfied with the results, and would like to try this.  Not having to cook for Thanksgiving means I'm sitting around thinking about what I'll be making for Christmas. I can't wait to make Ken's wife's fruitcake recipe. 

We're supposed to leave for Maryland on Tuesday and return on Friday. However, a dear friend's husband is in the hospital and while the prognosis has not been good all along, he has unexpectedly taken a turn for the worse. So, I may have to adjust my schedule depending upon what happens.  You can never take good health for granted, that's for sure.

We decided to replace my father's oil burner. We got a second opinion from a friend who used to have an oil business and he said we might get another year or so out of it.  Why take a chance?  Besides, I'm hoping a new burner will save oil. We also asked for an energy audit and may replace the upstairs windows. He'll be eligible for some sort of rebate or tax credit.  So, a lot going on.

mothermitzi    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, hope your friend's husband turns around at least through the holidays.  It's sad enough to have a loss remembered at that time let alone have the anniversary on or near the day itself.

Good move on the oil burner.  You're definitely chancing a lot when someone guesses you might get another year out of it.

We're getting ready to go to PA to see my side for Thanksgiving.  We're having the neighbor's 17 year old house and dog sit for us Thursday - Monday.  She's a responsible girl and loves dogs and has babysat for Gracie before (on our anniversary), but we are having a hard time with the thought of leaving her for 5 days.  She's very attached to us and has a solid routine.

Went to a dear friend's baby shower yesterday with a blanket I made for her out of Lion Brand's Homespun.  I waited 'til the last minute to finish it (as usual!) and spent 9 hours on Saturday crocheting.  My pinkie on my left hand was numb, but what can ya do at that point but keep going.  It came out nice, though, despite possible nerve damage. ;) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It came out nice, though, despite possible nerve damage. ;) 

I can relate to that, Kargiver.  I'm trying to finish the set of pillow cases I'm making for a friend, and because I have carpal tunnel in both hands, am in a state of "numbness" in both this hands at this point!  They will be pretty when done tho!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure they will, tt!  Are you embroidering them?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

That's great that you have someone who you trust to stay at your house.  As you may know, my MIL lives in an in-law apt in our house.  She adores the dogs, but we don't feel it's right to leave her with the responsiblity of 2 dogs - they are a lot of work!  She always wants the Boxer around, because he is so easy and she also feels safe with him around.  Whe have been putting the "little guy" at a pet resort when we go away.  He seems to love it, but of course it still breaks my heart dropping him off, lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, we hope we are doing the right thing.  It's hard to know for sure; there are pros and cons to every possible thing we can do with her.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi tt - Thanks for that recipe.  I don't intend to frost my turkey cookies, but I do frost Christmas cookies.  I'm never really satisfied with the results, and would like to try this.  Not having to cook for Thanksgiving means I'm sitting around thinking about what I'll be making for Christmas. I can't wait to make Ken's wife's fruitcake recipe.  We're supposed to leave for Maryland on Tuesday and return on Friday. However, a dear friend's husband is in the hospital and while the prognosis has not been good all along, he has unexpectedly taken a turn for the worse. So, I may have to adjust my schedule depending upon what happens.  You can never take good health for granted, that's for sure. We decided to replace my father's oil burner. We got a second opinion from a friend who used to have an oil business and he said we might get another year or so out of it.  Why take a chance?  Besides, I'm hoping a new burner will save oil. We also asked for an energy audit and may replace the upstairs windows. He'll be eligible for some sort of rebate or tax credit.  So, a lot going on. mothermitzi        
    Posted by mothermitzi

Want to get a quick "have a safe trip" in before you leave, mothermitzi.  Hope you are able to get away as planned and enjoy the holiday.  I received a call yesterday from the son of my former neighbor who just moved back up from Fla and was living with him.  She is in a rehab or nursing  home.  From what he told me it sounds like congestive heart failure, fluid collecting around heart and in legs and feet.  I talked with her and she is her same accepting self - take each day as it comes - hard to think of something possibly happening to her.

I think you were smart to get your father's oil burner replaced before the really cold weather sets in.  I'm sure you'll see a savings on the amount of oil used too.

As for Ken's wife's fruitcake recipe, each day it has more flavor.  One little slice left from the half I kept out of the freezer.  I'll take the frozen half out Wednesday and take it along with on Thanksgiving.  If they're not fruitcake eaters, I'll lug that back home along with the leftover soup and dessert.  My girlfriends and I will have a feast on Friday!

Looking forward to your post when you return.  Happy Thanksgiving (no poem this year, I don't think, unless the spirit moves me between now and then!).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, the turkey tails will be frostingless - a local grocery didn't carry the meringue powder and I didn't feel like running out to M.B.  I will pick up some before time to decorate my gingerbread men at Christmas tho.  (Surprised Icer hasn't entered into this frosting conversation).

It is cold out, looks and feels like snow.  I put a call into the guy who cleans my gutters, but I think they have already left on their Thanksgiving holiday.  I'm sure he'll be around when they get back.

Did pick up a couple of more basket fillers this morning, so I'll get there, I guess.  Washed the floors and bathroom yesterday and this afternoon will wipe down my kitchen cabinets with Murphy's oil soap.  That will leave just the gingerbread turkeys to do tomorrow and the soup and dessert on Weds.  I'm in good shape.

Yes, Kargiver, I am embroidering the pillow cases.  Funny thing, when I stopped over Saturday to see my son who's convalescing from back surgery, on the couch was a pillow with a case I had embroidered - I don't know how many years ago.  Looked good as new and really pleased me that they were still getting enjoyment from it.  Those were the days when I still bought each couple 4-5 gifts, always including some handmade gift for each family.  This particular case I mention was done in small cross stitch, I always enjoyed doing that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

tt - My mom is very into cross stitch, knitting, etc. I also still have many things that she made me.  She also made me many "baby" items which, knowing I will never use them, finally gave to me a couple of years ago.  She told me to give them to someone who is having a baby.  The funny thing is I never have, as I almost feel no one is "worthy" of them.  That seems so terrible on my part.  Perhaps I will hold onto them for my niece or nephew someday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think you're right to hold on to them to give to someone who will really appreciate them, as you say, a niece or nephew's new family.  It will mean so much more to them.

Sections
Shortcuts