October 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: October 2010

Winter,
    Can your FI pack me in a second suitcase? I will pay the extra fee. To where is he going there? - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo he is going to Copenhagen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh that "lucky duck". How long is he going for?
    There is plenty to do there, except it is the wrong time of the year. It will be a bit raw and cold. Make sure he bring something warm. And please don't forget an umbrella.
    "The Little Mermaid" is lent out to China at present. Don't ask me why. So, if he goes to see her (the biggest tourist attraction) he will only see a copy. The Tivoli Garden is closed right now, but there are some wonderful museums. Copenhagen itself is a beautiful city, with old narrow streets and old buildings. It was founded in the 16th hundred and the inner city is like it was then.
    If he want to spend some money (on you maybe?) there is the walking street: Stroeget. Full of beautiful Danish design.
    Tell him to make sure to try the Danish hotdogs, he will find on the small hot-dog carts all over the city. A few carts sell beer there too. The hotdogs taste like a hot-dog should taste. The ones you can buy here are bad copies. I am sure you can feel I am subjective. LOL
    Well enjoy and have a wonderful trip to Wonderful Copenhagen.

In Response to Re: October 2010:
    [QUOTE]Pingo he is going to Copenhagen. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He gets there Tuesday afternoon and leaves Sunday.  I will show him your post so he can get some ideas.  Is Denmark known for anything that he could bring home (like chocolate, linen, etc.).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Home again, home again.  As I finished taking the last of the cookies out of the oven a friend came by, just got back from 10 days in Paris!  Oh my.  She's been a couple of times before, went with 2 or 3 former college friends.  She brought me back a magnet of that wonderful poster of the black cat that's so famous.    Nothing could have been more appropriate for me.

Nice birthday pizza/ice cream cake supper with 10 year old.  His mother is taking him and some of his friends to a laser party at some point this week or next.  This tonight was just family.

Asked about our little friend with the brain tumor.  Poor tyke is losing weight.  Has been going to school, he is in the first grade with my little granddaughter, trying to live a normal life during all this, but doctors tell the parents it is too much for him, too tiring, that he needs to build up his strength for the grueling treatments.  How do you tell a little boy he can't go with the classmates he misses.  He, of course, has no idea how sick he is.

Was so busy today didn't have a chance to email G.T. and just got a call from him making sure everything is OK.  We usually send a couple of emails back and forth in the mornings before he gets too busy at his work.  It's been a full day for me what with errands, baking, visits, and birthday suppers.

Thought of you tonight, Amber, when little Reese came flying to me, whole little body wiggling, and giving dozens of kisses.  She's so cute.

Hope you're on the mend, bg.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Oh TT, such a brave boy!   Makes us appreciate that most children are healthy and happy these days, and count our blessings.  Bet I speak for all the chatters when I say we will keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Sounds like you had a wonderful day tt.  Reese sounds just like my Amber when she was just a pup.  Once in a while I get that crazy puppy and treasure it.  That is just so sad about the little boy, but like lemon said, so brave.  I can't imagine what his parents are going through...  He has been and will continue to be in my prayers..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, tt, thank you for the update even as sad as it is.  Of course, our prayers remain surrounding him and his family...everyone suffering with him.

My in-laws will be visiting tomorrow afternoon through Friday morning, and my own parents will be here Sunday afternoon - Monday morning.  Both sets of parents are fitting us in to bigger trips.

Well, I'm online to check Petco's hours because the 35 lb bag of food I bought yesterday REEKS of dog urine.  Another "customer" must have expressed his extreme dislike for Blue Buffalo's Large Breed Fish and Oatmeal formula.  I had to disrobe in the laundry room when I got home, so gross.  I tried washing the bag with Nature's Miracle, but it didn't work because I can't soak it, obviously.  So, back it goes...in a trash bag.  YUCK!  Like I have time to do this today!   My plan is to cook as much as I can ahead of their arrival so we can visit when they get here instead of my trying to multitask in the kitchen - I'm not good at that.  I end up saying, "Huh?" waaaay too much!

How did I have time to live when I worked full time?

Have a great day, Chatters!

Blessings,
    ~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    tt, sounds like you had a busy day yesterday and a stellar afternoon with your grandson. Nice for you to be able to be at home early.
    Sorry to hear about your little friend. Like Amber I can't imagine, what his parents are going through, having to keep their chin up for him and try to live normal. My prayers and good thoughts will continue  for them.
    How are you feeling this morning bg? I am sure the lousy weather does not help a bit. I finally broke down and put the heat on last night.
    My chicken soup felt so good last night. Some left for lunch and then of course the several cups I froze. Tonight will be Chicken-Pot-Pie using the breast meat.
    My painters are still here, but I have to go to my office later today, so I will have to kick them out.
    Hope you all stay healthy and warm - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Kar,
    Good to hear from you, I have been missing you on this board : ) How is Gracie?  As adorable as ever I bet.   That is totally gross about the dog food.  Nothing worse than the smell of animal urine. Yuck..  But you sound like you a going to have a wonderful few days with your families.  Those lucky people get to have your cooking!  The holidays are usually crazy for me with working full time and cooking, but we do it : )  I am thinking of taking the day before Thanksgiving off to make things easier. mmm...  Have a wonderful time with your company and check in when you can.  Can't wait to hear how it all went.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Good mornin All..Hey Pingo, we are having chicken pot pie tonite 2!!!I did all the chop chop of the garden veggies on Monday so now..Its easy.

We attended a small group dinner meeting last night. I had to lie to Honey to get him to go, but he was glad. They handed him a certificate and took his picture for the newspaper. You see Honey is very handy and he fixed up a local playground by re-using the same materials in a more secure way. The park was going to need to be closed but he engineered or fashioned quite a solution.

I am so proud..can you tell?
    Enjoy the rain!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning all,

You've got a busy week ahead, Kargiver.  That is gross about the bag of dog food.  It's a wonder the smell wasn't picked up in the store.  Miserable day to have to trudge out.

As for the make ahead meals, I know you don't have time now, but I borrowed from the library and then finally bought, "Make Ahead Meals" which I love.  Haven't actually prepared and frozen them, ready to cook, as it's intended, but just have gotten some really good recipes (ravioli soup, for one) out of it, that I've made and served immediately.  All their recipes are prepare ingredients and freeze, ready to pop out and cook.  Just went and looked at the actual title, "Once-a-Month Cooking" by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.  Once your flurry of guests have come and gone you might like to give it a look/see.

I hated to post the sad news of our little guy, but everyone on the board has been so good about keeping him in their prayers and asking for updates, that even tho the prognosis is not good, felt I wanted to let you know that the family is trying to go on with his life as normally as possible. Blessed are we, indeed, whose children are healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, congratulations to your hubby.  He sounds like one of those people they feature about unsung heroes.  I think both you and he are very active, and I'm sure much appreciated, in your community.

Pingo, it must have been chicken soup day yesterday, we started off our meal last night with bowls of homemade chicken soup my DIL made.  Delicious.

Birthdays go from one end of the spectrum to another - yesterday was my 10 year old grandson, and today is a 16 year old granddaughter.  No celebration planned, at least that I know of.  I called at 10 after 7 this morning to sing happy birthday and her mother told me she gets the bus for Aggie at 6:45!  I wanted to at least stop over with her card, but today is her horseback riding day after school sessions, so she won't get home until after 8:00.  Kids these days have such long days.  Her  brother who is going to Mass Pharmacy won't get home from his lab class in town until 10:00 p.m.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi all! Rain, rain,rain. Oh well, the coming weekend promises to be beautiful, so far anyway. Kar, you have quite a busy few days coming up. I know what you mean about thye sress of working outside the home, and the work required in the home with family, upkeep,etc.etc.. I actually had to cut down on working outside because I couldn't do my best at either one and it wasn't working out for my family. (or me) What bigger trips are coming up? Hows Gracie doing? I'm not ready for a dog yet,so I love your posts about her. Thanks everyone for asking about my miserable cold. I'm feeling much better, but D.D. woke up this a.m. with it, and couldn't go to school. I had been too sick to make chicken soup for myself so I bought some D.H.  actually got it. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm making your soup this afternoon Pingo, I'll take tt's advice and make a huge pot of it,and freeze some, as I'm sure my husband is next. Icer Congrats to your Honey! What a great accomplishment,and Yah, I can tell how proud you are. We all need more like him in our communities.Take care. bg.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, you sure have a reason to be proud. What an accomplishment!
    Good DH got recognised - as he definitely should be. Must have spent many, many hours on this project. Honey sounds like someone every community would be lucky to have. But today people are so stressed out trying to juggle jobs and homelife - that there is no time left for anything else.
    That must be the reason, we did not hear about any home projects of yours - like we did in the past. But what a pleasure for Honey and you to see children now playing in an abandoned playground. - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    Denmark is known all over the world for it's designs. But unfortunately Denmark is expensive.
    At this time of the year - the Christmas ornaments must be out. They have some really beautiful ones, that will not rob the bank. But a piece of Royal Copenhagen china - will always be a pleasure to display. RC have tons of figurines, that I am sure your DH will find one, that will "comment" on you and your DH. 
    And then there is the George Jensen's silverware. Beautiful designs - you will not find anywhere else.
    I usually bring back food items. Their cheeses are out-of-this-world. That Vermont Cheddar cannot measure up. Then there are the "fish items" - smoked eel, herrings of all kind - so many variations. And of course there is the Danish Pastry. The Danish you buy here have nothing to do with the real thing. Far from it. Sorry, yuck!
    On a short visit like your FI's - it is difficult for me to really guide him to the proper places to buy all this stuff. Of course it is quite a bit more expensive in the turist area. If he wants food items, he could take a bus to a supermarket outside the "inner city" and save a bundle.  The public transportation there is fantastic.  You can go anywhere you want to by bus or subway.
    Hope your DH will have a great trip. - Pingo

In Response to Re: October 2010:
    [QUOTE]He gets there Tuesday afternoon and leaves Sunday.  I will show him your post so he can get some ideas.  Is Denmark known for anything that he could bring home (like chocolate, linen, etc.).
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Sorry to hear about your purchase-gone-wrong. It must have been really, really nasty. I am just surprised, you or anyone else did not smell it in the store. Just another lesson to learn: - smell dogfood before buying.
    You will have a couple of busy days. I always say, "When it rains, it pours." Hopefully all your hard labor will be worth it. Just be pleased, they are not all coming at the SAME time. Try to make double of everything - and freeze half of it in your new freezer. Same work.
    Try to enjoy your company - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, everyone,

Thanks for all your care for me despite my quietness on the boards lately.  I find it difficult to deal with Fall; it puts me in a melancholy place no matter how I fight it.  Your friendships help so much.

Gracie is doing well, thanks.  She's a sweetheart and a joy.  I smelled the odor in the store, but they allow pets in there so it never smells so good; it didn't occur to me that the bag had been peed on!  They were pleasant about exchanging it, and had a new bag up at the front for me.

BG, I think everyone has more trouble than we're "supposed to" according to today's society juggling everything and being superwomen.  Or, I'm rationalizing having less stamina than those lucky women, I don't know.  I do know I can't do it all.

No big trips coming up for us.  DH will be taking a week off later in the month and staying home, thank God.

Oh, I hear the cries of the pup who wants in out of the rain...gotta run for now.

Hope you are continuing to feel better, bg.

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

You can never take health for granted at any age, but it really tugs at the heartstrings when a child is ill.  When I was researching my family tree, I was shocked at the number of children who died.  A couple of family plots had stones that simply had the word "babies" etched on them.  So many breakthroughs since those times, and I will pray hard and fast for your grandson's classmate tt.  I have been so lucky with my own, and I don't take it for granted. 

Trying to get the house ready before the clan arrives this weekend.  Moving truck will be at their house today and at the storage facility here by the weekend.  They will bring their clothes and whatever they need to survive until they move into their house. They will have the three bedrooms upstairs and I will stay on the first floor where I usually sleep.  I have a full bath off my bedroom, as well, so it shouldn't be a problem.  I've tried to empty as much "stuff" out of the closets as I can.  We all know how that works! The one thing I have always kept in the kids rooms is their books from childhood, so there is a ready supply of reading material.  I keep telling the cats we're going to have company for awhile, but they don't seem to be as excited as I am!

I'm thinking I got the last of the corn at the farmers market yesterday.  They weren't at all sure they'd have more on Friday.  Picked up some beautiful veggies and plan to make a beef stew tonight. That should make enough for two nights and some for my father.  

Icer, your husband performed a good deed - very noble.  I always think the best gift you can give is your own time.  

mothermitzi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Fall is a hard time for a lot of people, Kargiver.  The days begin to get so short.  We were talking about it last night, how it's dark when you get up in the morning, and then starts getting dark earlier and earlier.  I was keeping an eye on the sky since I don't drive after dark.  Keep lots of lights on in the rooms, the heck with the electric bill!  (Have the table lamp in this room on, for Cheerio to lay under to keep warm.  Her fur's so warm to the touch.)

MM, I can just imagine how excited you are.  Will your daughter be starting her new position right away?  And the kids starting school?  Big adjustments for the family, but I'm sure being able to stay with you until their new home is ready will make the transition easier.  -  Beef stew, sounds good to me today, but I don't want to run out for ingredients.  So much to do around here, I've gotten a lot of little things taken care of this morning.  Good to know I don't have to interrupt the "flow", so to speak.

Just got call from dr.'s office, have to go back this week or next and have one of the tests repeated.  Hmmmm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi tt.  I hope all is well if they want to repeat a test?  Keep us posted please.  I too have a difficult time in the fall and winter. I get up when it is dark and get home when it is dark.  I heard there are lights you can use to help with this?  I think the worse for me is after the Holidays.  Just gloomy and nothing to look forward to.  I am making a Sheppards pie this weekend and since I am off Monday, Pingo's hamburg soup.  Nice to make fall dishes again. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

When one suffers from depression in the fall/winter because of the change from long sunny days to short dark ones, it is called "Seasonal Affective Disorder."  Here is a link from the Mayo Clinic about the lightbox therapy.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/DN00013

Kar, this sounds like a natural way to relieve SAD!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Pingo.  I will let him know all of this.  I wish I could go, but there is no way right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is what I was thinking of Lemon.  Thanks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oktret3. Show oktret3's posts

CAKE

Sections
Shortcuts