October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

October 2011

Sorry, Kargiver, Pingo, but I'm up extra early for me - and was just rereading a few posts, yours about Resco more carefully, Pingo.

Where did you read about the smell originating from that plant?  I haven't seen anything about it, but thinking, in fact woke up during the night thinking about it.  Is any clean air environment agency checking it out?  To have the smell of fertilizer from someone's garden in the air is one thing, but to have the cause of the smell being whatever they are burning there and to be smelled in different communities  - that's troublesome.  Can you give me the source where you saw it written up?  Went on to read about machine hammering - I didn't hear that, so don't think that was associated, do you?  I smelled it very strong when I got home yesterday around noon.  Makes me wonder about my "environmental itch".

Sorry for the downer post opening October, but got up thinking about it.  Hope others have some good news/happy news re October to post.

PEACE -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2011

Good morning, and happy October, everyone!  Wow, tt, 2 hours ago, I had no chance. ;)  Great photo!!

I'd be concerned about the health risks of that burning junk, too.  I used to live in a mill town in NH, and the stench was nearly unbearable especially on hot, humid days.  They said it was safe...who knows.  It didn't smell safe.

Not much happening here...DH is getting the garbage together for me to take to the dump.  Exciting, huh?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, I almost started the October post.....at 2.45AM I was sittting here reading the last of the September posts.  My leg cramps woke me, the tonic water and quinine do work, but after drinking and walking I wasn't tired, so here I sat.  I wrote a letter to General Mills yesterday, my DH has been complaining about hair in his cereal, he showed me a strand yesterday so I sat down and sent off my complaint.  Since I sent it by email, I have to wait for a workday for someone to get back to me, the e-mail was already confirmed, but that could be automatic.
    My sister goes back to MGH 10/21 for a consultation with her surgeon, she is expecting him to set up 2 more operations on her arteries. She is doing well and eating up a storm....course her bleeding ulcers contributed to her pain, she can't figure out where they went, I told her since she didn't eat for the 3 weeks she was in the hospital, they probably healed....
    Flea market today, church in Hanson, hope they hold it inside instead of not at all.  Lots of rain last night, lightning too, it lit up the whole house, since I couldn't hear any thunder or even the rain I was alarmed with the light, got up from my seat and looked out the window....then saw the rain and figured it was lightning.....so pretty....till next time, take care all and keep smiling, ss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, you should have started the thread.  I felt terrible starting it again this morning, but Resco was on my mind.  Of course here I posted, what, 3 hrs. ago and nothing from Pingo, so this must be one of her mornings that she slept in.

Hair in cereal makes me sick thinking of it.  Almost afraid to ask if it looked human or otherwise - (thinking rodents).  I don't think there would be a whole lot they could do/say that would make me comfortable eating cereal again.

Yes, that's why they kept your sister on IVs or liquids, to let the ulcers heal.  It's wonderful not to have that pain once they are healed.

Here's a Happy Halloween pic:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, sorry you were up in the middle of the night with cramps.  Tonic and quinine do work to remedy them, but daily magnesium can prevent them.

Hair in the cereal?  Ew!  I hope they respond in every possible way.  I've written companies (Jello and Home Depot were the largest) and have noticed immediate, positive changes as a result so I know they DO listen.

Best to your sis as she gets through the next couple of rounds.  Nice to hear her ulcers healed.  Maybe she can modify her diet so they do not return.  Something she left out for a month allowed her to heal...

Have fun at the flea market - yes, it must be inside today!  It's pouring here, too.  No thunder, though, that I know of.  I'm a heavy sleeper so I wouldn't be the most reliable source.

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, very cute, especially the green which with a impish smile!  I must rummage through the attick and get our Fall decorations displayed, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It must be such a joy for your sister to be able to eat again.  When my ulcers were diagnosed a biopsy was done to see if there was a bacteria present causing them, (the usual villain behind them), but none.  I was put on a med to shut down some of the acid responders and that gave the ulcers a chance to heal.  That was quite a few years ago, I'm off the med, and since then I can eat anything.  I'll call you later, SS and tell you about it.

Good luck flea market hunting.  I don't know where you find all these flea markets, I never see any listed.  Still a little drizzly here.  I'm in for the day anyway, so makes no difference, except I was going to wash the floors I never got to yesterday.  Don't think it's too good a drying day for that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I went upstairs and brought down a bagful more too.  Always surprised at what I have that I've forgotten about.  I'm sure there'll be more pics (a new thread of Halloween decorations?) as I arrange and rearrange the displays.

ETA:  I did start a thread "Halloween and Fall Decorations"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure, start a new pic thread for Fall/Halloween photos - fun!  That would further encourage me to do what I need to do here.  I'm not that into switching stuff out.  In my apartment I had non-seasonal decorations that stayed there all year...except the Christmas tree.  DH, though, is into it, and I'm starting to enjoy it, too.  I did fairly well with my sunflower collection that works for Spring and Fall.  DH brought the prettiest sugar pumpkins in and put them around the house.  Very pretty.  I'll add those to the Fall photo thread if you start it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Yea, I slept in this morning. Was up at 5:30, but looked out the window, saw the wet surface on our tennis court and decided it was too early to get up.
    Love the witch on the bike on your picture, tt. Looks like one of your boys could have made it.
    I believe, I read about Resco in our local weekly paper some time ago. People complaining about the smell, that would come from there - depending on the direction of the wind. Yesterday it was quite potent. If you google Resco, Saugus, you will find several links to it. Something about the ashes flying around in the air with toxic metals. Apparently they have an ongoing lawsuit.
    Sorry to hear about your leg cramps, ss. They are so painful; I used to have them big time. Kar is right; Magnesium does help to prevent them. After I started to take a combination of Calcium, Magnesium and Zink (buy them at Trader Joe's - $3 for 60, I think) they have become far in between. I still get them, but that is usually when I have not hydrated myself enough. So, I have to remember to drink enough water before bed time. Only problem w/ that is, that I have to get up at least once during the night, and then often cannot get back to sleep. But I rather deal with that than the cramps.
    Hair in the cereal, that would freak me out. Hope you get a response from them soon. Coupons for free cereal? Hope not - no more cereal for a while. I buy cereal from TJ's - but I will certainly look deeper into the bowl from now on, before I eat.
    Best wishes to your sis, when she goes in again. Good her ulcers healed by themselves. Great bonus from her hospital stay.
    Have no special plans for this weekend as of now. But TX son will be here in a couple of hours - anything exciting can happen after that.
    Enjoy your weekend - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yahoo!  Perfect!  Just got a call and a little voice said, "Nana Nana, can I come over and make cookies?"  Little Lilly and her Nana and maybe her Papa if Lilly can convince him to come down, will be down around noon.  Glad I got my decorations down, I'll let her rearrange as she wants.  Chat later, much much later.   Yahoo! Hope I see lots of pic on the Halloween/fall decorations thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have fun with your son, Pingo!  I've got to get moving.  Still in my PJs.  DH is cleaning the basement; rainy weather "fun."  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning all. Just came back from my weekend morning walk. Pretty dreary day out.S.S., I was also awake at that time! I woke up from a disturbing dream, couldn't get back to sleep,so went into the living room and put the t.v on.bg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Dough is in fridge chillling.  Oh, there'll be pics this afternoon - Lilly's mom and Daisy the Mastiff are coming too - - - -Cheerio will be safely secured in this room, not that Daisy would both her, they have a cat too, but Daisy wouldn't be safe around Cheerio!  Wait til you see the size of this dog - - - wonder if I can get him to pose with a pumpkin - hmmmmm - - - -

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Its official...I am gonna be a GRANDMA!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, WOW - how exciting! Let me be the first Chatter to congratulate you. A new life will start for you. So happy for you and Honey - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoa, now that's confirmation!  Congrats, icer and family!!!

bg, I had a VERY disturbing dream last night, too, but somehow I managed to not wake up early.  It was really awful and felt like it went on for days.  It was some horrible pandemic thing.

tt, I hope you can get a "Fall photo" of Daisy to add to the Pets thread! I bet she's a moose by now - the last time we saw a photo she wasn't full grown.  Gracie and I met a Great Dane at the place where she'll be having her tooth out.  It was very well behaved, not even on a leash.  It was as big as a pony weighing in at 212 lbs.  Positively dwarfed Gracie, and at 77 lbs, she's usually one of the largest dogs in the room.  Enjoy your family and the cookie baking!

I'm heading to the dump and the grocery store.  Still haven't gone up for the Fall stuff.  Enjoying DH's company - he likes me to read aloud to him, and we don't have the energy (me to read aloud, or him to listen intently) on the weeknights.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, congratulations!  I'm so happy for you.  One of these years you'll be posting a pic like this (I have pics like this with my grandsons too)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Congratulations Icer.....Grandchildren are so much fun.  My first grandaughter is 31 and the mother of two....I always referred to her as my #1, she still is today,even tho I have other grands....her oldest son asked me how come she was #1 and what did that make him....at the time he was the only great grand, so I told him he was #1 too.  What a smile came over his face.  The heat of the summer is over, if I'm right, baby will be born in late summer early fall next year, good timing!! ss

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good job, Lilly. Nice cookies, tt. I see you used some of the new cookie cutters you just bought. I can see the ghost and the bats, but some of the other shapes elude my spy eye. Nice we have Michael's nearby now for all your sprinkle supply.
    Driving back from the airport, I saw that The Paper Store is opening on the Walnut Plaza - (where AAA is) at the place, that was once Blockbuster. They have a huge store in Reading and have nice greeting cards and a lot of nice gift items. Even though on the expensive side, one can always find something there, if being stuck for a small gift or two.
    DS and DH went to the office to start working on our server. So I won't be able to be on the computer for long. They will probably shut me down shortly. Did you manage to take any pictures of Daisy?
    Enjoy the rest of the day - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I LOVE the paper store.  Always go in the one in VinnanSquare.  When is it opening, do you know?

Yes, I took a pic of Daisy and posted it on the Pets Fall pics thread.  Wish I had thought to take one of her standing up.  When she's standing her face is right at my chest.  I was too concerned of getting a pumpkin in the pic!  What a good dog she is.  Had put in a call to other GD who has a mastiff inviting her and her dog over, but her husband was having a guy shower of sorts (diapers) for the baby to be and she didn't dare leave the guys alone in her new house - would rather clean up as they went along then go home to a mess.  Sent her Daisy's pic tho.

Reheated the rest of the eggplant parm I had made last night (good thinking, that!) and made a batch of the Home Style Mac and Cheese that my GD's kids love.  Already had jello made and along with a huge salad with the kitchen sink in it, we dined OK.  Cookies went home on one of my favorite plastic cut glass trays, as well as the last fake whoopie pie and last piece of parm for PaPa. Divied up the apples and pears I had bought in abundance at Brooksby yesterday, and sent them along too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Don't know, when it opens. I just saw their sign on the front of the building - passing by. I am sure we will get some flyers or notices about it.
    Sounds like you had a nice dinner with your family - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Prepped everything for Mhu-Shu pork, dry roasted string beans and cooked the noodles for panfried noodles. Now just waiting for the guys to give me a call, when they leave, and dinner will be ready before they arrive. Btw. I found, that my Chinese Rest. sell the Mhu-Shu pancakes separately. No need for the tortillas. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Icer, Congrats!, you must be so excited! T.t., I remember spending time with my Nana at her house in Jamaica Plain. She would have me and one of my cousins (one of 27) over for the weekend. She always made me feel so loved. D.H. cooked dinner tonight. I did the cleaning up. Then we went out for coffee and desert. Seriously, if I want to lose these 10 Lbs, I need to stop with the tirimasu. Our camera, (along with lots of other stuff) is still in a storage facility until next weekend. I'll be able to post a pic of Stitches then. Hopefully, a calm sleep tonight for us all. bg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Happy Sunday.  I went out to eat Sat. night and asked for decaf.  I know I got regular coffee because I'm wide awake and show no signs of slowing down to sleep.  Spent a busy day doing errands.  I'm still pretty busy at the office and have no time for anything during the week.  My boss is spending all of his time in NY because his father (the man who hired me) is not well.  We're all very worried. So, that means I'm working full time for the foreseeable future.

Managed to get to Mahoney's today and bought about 200 bulbs to plant.  I'm going to experiment this year and plant some in big containers which I'll leave outside during the winter.  Hopefully, I'll have big containers of daffodils and tulips come spring.  I've had the most beautiful morning glories this summer and continue to be amazed at how prolific they are.  Such a joy to see them in the morning.  Also bought mums and ornamental cabbages.  I don't really put up a lot of Halloween decorations.  Mostly a general fall theme around here.  Wreaths on the doors, etc...  I do have a big lighted pumpkin I put up in my attic window a couple weeks before Halloween.  Looks a bit eerie from the street.  The pumpkin will be replaced by Santa at Christmas.  

bg, if I lived in the north end, I'd be on Hanover St. every night eating pastries and drinking espresso.  I'd be big as a whale and not able to go to sleep!  

tt, love the pictures of the Halloween cookies.  Guess you made good use of your cookie cutters.  Nice that the young ones came to see you.  My GD's have been coming about every other week to visit with my friend next door.  We've had a couple of sessions in the kitchen, which started while they were living here.  I really enjoy it.

Congrats icer!  No greater joy than a grandchild to love and spoil.  

ss, read the posts about your sister and hope you found some shakers at the church fair.  

pingo, have a nice visit with your son.  Nice that he'll be around for awhile.  I'm sure you'll be busy in the kitchen.

kar, glad you found a cheaper way out for Gracie.  I just took my male cat to the vet and by the time I was through, it was almost $500.00.  Maybe I should get insurance.

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday.  I'm going to visit a friend who just had her knees replaced.  Her caretaker needs the afternoon off, so I'll substitute.  Take care everybody.

mothermitzi   

Sections
Shortcuts