October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Re: October 2011

Hi t.t., I can't wait until Wed., when we get the rest of our stuff out of storage. I'd love to show off the J.D. Stitches, with his "What Me???"look. D.H. and I couldn't understand Stitches love of water. We thought cats hated water. Stitches is a rescued stray, and we're told most likely is a coon cat(Maine), and that breed likes water??? Oh, I'm embarresed to admit this. Stitches gets ice cubes in his morning h20. He circles around me if there isn't a cube in it. I totally deserve every joke you guys come up with. Completely spoiled! bg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think it's great that Stitches gets personalized water service!  As for being a Coon cat, I was watching a cat show on Animal Planet this afternoon and they were talking about different breeds of cat, saying that one identifying mark of a Maine Coon Cat is the "M" on their forehead.

ETA:  Oh, wait, I just thought of another.  One of G.T.'s shelter cats was said to be a Coon cat, or at least part, because of the tufts of hair in her ears.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everyone, tt, Stitches does have tufts of hair in his ears. He was brought in to the shelter off the street, so we're not really sure,nor does it make a difference. It is inteeresting though that he loves water, I always thought cats hated water.bg

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

A little chilly from my point of view, but TV says it's going to be 80 by noon.  Fall in New England!  Good sleeping weather last night with the window open, but this morning is a hot oatmeal breakfast for me.  Waiting for the paper to arrive, to check the ads, a few things I'm looking for.  In the meantime, will get a start on cleaning out the kitchen cabinets.  Did a little yesterday and actually threw a few things away that have just been sitting there unused.  Time to make a list of spices that need to be replaced too, some are a couple of years old and I'm sure have lost some of their potency.  Hope everyone has a good day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  Lazy morning here in the kargiver home without DH to cook breakfast for.  Gracie's outside, and I'm about to retrieve my reheated cuppa.

I'm sure you will, but be sure to remember to evaluate the baking soda and powder while you're going at the spices - I replaced my very old baking powder last year and suddenly everything was puffing up to the ceiling for my using how much I'd been gradually adding to recipes to make them work, lol.

What a gorgeous day!  I'll be up and out doing something with Gracie...not sure what, but we can't let this nice Fall day go underutilized.

Chat later,
    ~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Yes, a glorious day indeed!
    Sat outside on the deck last night with an after dinner drink, and couldn't drag ourselves in - it was just too nice. And no mosquitoes. The few very cold days/nights must have killed them all.
    Nice beach day for mom and Gracie, but 2 hours drive would be a bit too long for me. Are you still planning to go? Hope DH made it safely to NH. I don't like to drive at those small 2-way country roads at night.
    tt, have you thought of buying your spices at TJ's? I feel they are fresher than the ones at the supermarkets. And Kar is right. Don't forget the baking powder and soda. How is the cold this morning? Did sitting in the sun yesterday help?
    Son will be leaving late this afternoon, so we will have to get the best out of the time, that is left today. Better make breakfast. Hope we can eat it outside. The sun is warm - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Good morning!

kar,

Too funny. While you're at the beach with Gracie, I'll be in the woods hiking with the fawn.

tt, our younger cat, Mick, loves playing with water from the bathtub drain. I think that's gross.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Eh, I've abandoned the beach idea.  It's just too far.  There are fun things to do here...I just love the ocean and get it in my head that I'm going until it comes right down to it.  Thanks - DH made it safe and sound.  BIL stole DH's phone to trick me (by the caller ID) into answering, but I hung up and turned it off after I heard "hello" in his best DH impression.  I'm so glad I'm not there.

9:25, and my coffee is cold, again, having sat awhile in the microwave and I'm still in my PJs.  Got to get ready and do something before the day slips by!

Later, ladies,
    ~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, OMG!  A BEAR!!!!!  A BEAR!!!!!  Just got off the phone with the neighbors (in fact, that was a transcript of the calls).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, Kargiver, how scarey.  No more letting Gracie out loose, the fence may stop her from charging the bear but it won't stop the bear from charging her.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Kar, WOW!!! Is that a bear in your yard? OMG!!bg

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can feel my fingers, again, and Gracie is back out front on the patio none the wiser regarding our visitor.  I stopped leaving her out when we're not home (with no way to get to the safety of the house) quite a while ago.  If I hear her barking, I'll let her in right away, but Black Bears do tend to run away if they are threatened but not cornered.  They are not fans of barking dogs.  Regarding letting Gracie out, it's a catch 22.  No wild life in the city and 'burbs (essentially), but no place for her to play.  Here, we have a place for her to play, but lots of wildlife.  It makes me nervous, but the bears have always been here (and Gracie sniffs like mad out there every morning), and he's meandered on his way by now.  I went out and checked on the bees - the hive is still standing.

Wow...I really do live in the middle of the woods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

What a gorgeous yard Kar.bg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I was trying to get the bear, of course, but here's one that shows the few changing trees out there and what's left of the garden from an upstairs window.  The bear photo was taken to the left of this - not pictured here.  If anyone SEES a bear here, though, please let me know!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hello friends and good afternoon.  OMG Kar, a bear!!! Pingo, seems like you are having a wonderful time with DS.  tt, I'm sure the poem you write for your GGS will be womderful, how awesome that he will have that when he is older. I think we may be adopting a kitten today, so hopefully there will be some adorable pictures of my pet in the near future. :) bg, I can't wait to see a picture of stitches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Kar, What a beautiful picture. Just looking at it puts me in a "zen" mood.bg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar you could fit a pool back there :) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, bg, again.  It is peaceful out here thanks to DH's hard work...hence no travel plans for his vacation.

Winter, a pool, I know, that would be lovely - the parties, the cooling off dips...  But, did you see the moose in the pool last night on the news?  That would be us for sure!  lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh my a moose in the pool.  I did not see that on the news.  We leave to look at kitties soon.  We are excited here in the Winter household.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, happy to hear of your shopping today!   Is it a friend whose cat had kittens, or are you going to a shelter?  I'll bet your son is the most excited one.  Fill us in on all the de-tails and "other" tails when you get back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, in case you're reading the boards today - I just want you to know that when you tried to post on the other thread, I couldn't read any posting from you.  I don't know if others could. I see you attempted to several times, so maybe you can see what you post - but from this end, mine, anyway - nothing but the post you were replying to.  I know you were dying to get in there last night - I wish you could have too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Winter, kittens!  Take your camera and post in the Fall photo thread (and here, of course), OK?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG, Kar! A bear? I would be petrified. I will take the turkeys any time. Could it be the beehive, he is attracted to? New project for DH - to fence it in.
    You do indeed have a lovely yard. Your veggie path is a lot smaller, than I anticipated, with all the wonderful produce you harvest.
    Wouldn't Gracie alert you, if the bear comes back? Looks like there is plenty of room for him to get away, in case Gracie charge at him. But still, I would be nervous letting her out alone. And what about DH's and Gracie's hiking trips? DH certainly need that gun, now you know for sure, he is out there.
    Didn't see the Moose news. Just imagine that? Once coming back from dropping the boys off at school, I saw one standing at my intersection at 7 in the morning. Oh my! It was huge. I called the police, "There is a moose standing at intersection such and such." Yea right! They were giggling in the back ground, and I had to make sure they understood, I wasn't drunk. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Black Bears like this one have always been here and sighted fairly often in yards, I just hadn't had the "pleasure" of seeing one myself in OUR yard.  Glad I got it on "film" so DH can see when he gets home (did you see the photo on the previous page, Pingo?).  Oh, definitely, if Gracie sees it she'll bark up a storm, but she didn't see this one - she was in front, he was in back.  I don't think the hive attracted him because it's still in tact; it would be smashed had he noticed it.  Our UPS driver had that happen to his hives this year; he said it was a total mess.  DH carries a large hunting knife in the woods.

Too funny about your moose 911, Pingo!  I'm sure you sounded quite serious and sober...did they respond?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Of course they responded. It took them hours to get him out of there. They were hoping, he would leave on his own, if they bothered him enough (sirens, dogs etc), but he simply helped himself to the juicy grass ignoring them. They finally had to anesthetize him and take him away to a safer place. It is a very busy exit and the cars made a messy back up, slowing down to look at what was going on- Pingo