October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: October 2011

Good morning everyone.  Good news at the Winter house. Yesterday after everyone left Yoda ate all her food.  DH came home and she was sitting in her bed and didn't run when he came home, she ate a bit more food and played with a laser.  The original place I called, called me at work right before I left and said to come in this morning if the cat still hadn't eaten.  The doctor explained that he probably just frightened and scared and that abandoned kittens do that quite frequently.  I came down this morning, put fresh food down and he ate all of the wet food and a couple pieces of kibble.  He's now sitting on the couch while my son plays Wii.  I'm going to call the vet back and say that he seems like  a different kitty.  I suspect we will be just going on our regular visit next Saturday, but I'll let you all know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad about your "poofed" post, mm - hope you'll regale us with your missing thoughts today.  When I'm overtired, I don't sleep, either, unless I take a benedryl to knock me out.

Glad your coffee at lunch didn't perturb your sleep, tt, and that you had such a rewarding day yesterday.

DH just took Gracie for their very windy woodsy walk, and I've got to bake the crackers while they're gone so I can take her to the farmer's market when they return.  They only go through October...it's almost over.

Next Saturday, SIL and I are going to Boston!  She's never been to Newbury Street, and she specifically wants to check out the consignment shops.  I'm so excited to visit the city I could burst, and how much more fun will it be for going with SIL.  I wonder where we'll eat.  I will be planning this all week...

Making a cuppa and then getting the oven on and crackers rolled and baked.  Yum!  I know what we'll be having for lunch...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That is such good news, Winter, and what a find you have in this second caring vet.  I was talking to G.T. last night and telling him, and he said many years ago when they got their first cat from a pet store, she wouldn't eat and began losing weight.  They took her to the vet for tests and still nothng wrong could be found.  The only thing the vet had told him was that when they got their shots, sometimes they do lose their appetite and become listless for a few days. He said he still remembers picking her up and she was like a rag doll, so limp and seemed just fur and bones.  In desperation he mixed up some sugar water, took an eye dropper and squirted some of that down her throat for a day, and voila!  All of a sudden she perked up began eating and got her appetite back.  I'm not advocating squirting sugar water down Yoda's throat, neither is he (in all probability his cat was ready to get her appetite back anyway), just telling you a story of how sometimes there is no explanation of why they lose their appetite, but then all of a sudden they get it back.  So happy for the Winter family, I was really worried, he seemed too listless for a little kitten.  Can you send up a pic of this newly revived kitten over the week-end?  Have a great week-end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you for sharing tt.  It was the original Vet that called back.  A Vet not the receptionist I talked too.  She was so nice and said she'd take us this morning if he didn't eat, but that she sees this very often and new kittens.  I'll snap a photo.  Oh, we had never heard him meow, well he was sitting on the couch with my DS for a while and all of a sudden he looked at him, said meow and off he want to the adventures underneath the china cabinet. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news, Winter!  I dallied on mine so I didn't see your post before mine went up.  You guys must be so relieved!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Newbury Street - I love it.  What a fun time you'll have, Kargiver.  Many good eating places.  We used to hit one in particular, can't remember the name, just remember it's the first place I had pinot gricio and loved it from then on!  Those were the days of heading into Haymarket Square on the 8:45 a.m. bus, meeting G.T., starting our morning with coffee and crouissants at Faneuil Hall and then shopping the downtown stores, walking through the commons and over to Newbury St. in time to meet his partner for supper.  I would be finishing up my Christmas shopping and he would be shopping for his partner.  Hope it is a beautiful day weather-wise for you.

Just got up a little while ago, so my breakfast is yet to come.  Think I'll make French toast this morning.  Want to get out and get embellishments for the new baby card - finally came up with a poem for him.  Really had a dry spell there where nothing was coming up.  Kind of waiting for someone to tell me it's OK to go see him.  I keep telling the rest of the family that I really don't think I'm contagious with this cold, it's going on 2 weeks now and I'm certainly in the process of it drying up.  May end up just mailing the card and bringing the gift over at a later date when I get the OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for sharing tt.  It was the original Vet that called back.  A Vet not the receptionist I talked too.  She was so nice and said she'd take us this morning if he didn't eat, but that she sees this very often and new kittens.  I'll snap a photo.  Oh, we had never heard him meow, well he was sitting on the couch with my DS for a while and all of a sudden he looked at him, said meow and off he want to the adventures underneath the china cabinet. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Yes, when I reread your post I see it was the original vet who called.  That must make you feel good.  AND, he's talking now too!  You know, if you (or your son answer him back and say, "Yeah???  Is that right???" with the end syllable raised, it will encourage him to become a talker, and meow back to you.

Breathing a sigh of relief for you all, and know you'll enjoy your week-end with him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll have to tell DS that.  I can envision him talking back and forth with him.  We will leaving at about 10:15 as we have a travel soccer game in Lowell.  That is very special that you are making a card for GGS, that and the poem are really something he can treasure when he's older.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, you must feel like a boulder has been lifted off your chest since Yoda made his breakthrough - we are all so happy to hear of his progress...we were holding our collective breath for him to open his heart to his new family.

tt, totally enjoyed your reminiscing re Boston.  I have many fond memories, as well, having gone to school at BU.  We made the long walk from Kenmore Sq to the Common via Newbury quite a few times...gosh, was that 20 years ago?

French toast - how yummy.  I just had coffee this morning after last night's indulgence; we had fish and chips from a local haunt that does a great job.  I'm feeling fat...

Oh, there's the first cracker timer - time to rotate the pans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, thanks for the info on Maggianos....My cousin is celebrating his 80th birthday, his wife and children are putting this party together.  Went to his 75th, for favors for his guests he had Chocolate CDs made with titles of Elvis Presley songs written on them...mine was Heartbreak Hotel..I still have it.  They also took pictures of all the guests alone, told us we would get a copy in the mail, when the picture came, there was Elvis in his Army uniform leaning on a fence and my photo in a circle at the side, unique....wonder what will be our favor this year.  They pick up the tab for all too....his wife told me no gifts when I was talking to her, but I couldn't help myself, I sent away for a 16 month Elvis calendar....I know he will enjoy it.  When I worked downtown in the 50's (OMG over 50 yrs ago), the girls and I from the bank used to always go to Marliaves (not sure of the spelling) Italian restaurant.....super!!  Can't wait for Sunday and the feast.  At one time my cousins numbered close to 300 (my
    Dad was the youngest of 10 and my Mom one of 5) we all lived on the same street or one nearby....we are all scattered now, and our number has dwindled sharply.....enuf reminising....take care and keep smiling, ss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, Marliave's (I can't spell it, either) was my favorite "hidden gem" in Boston for Italian food - what a cool place.  300 cousins, wow!  You must have had some rockin' family reunions!  I know the Elvis calendar will be enjoyed and appreciated regardless of the "no gift" rule breakage. :)

The crackers are almost done, and DH brought Gracie home in time for me to spend quality time at the market.  So, off we go!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not the most exciting of food photos, but here are the crackers and baba ganoush I'm having for lunch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everyone, Seems like everyone is having  busy Sat.! Winter and Kar, so glad Yoda and Gracie are much better! I hope (actually pretty sure) Pingo is having a great time in PB. I just walked down to a CVS so D.D. had paper for her homework.  There is such a long line in front of Giaccamos, you'd think they were GIVING entrees away. Was planning on making chicken parm with pasta tonight, but none of us is particularly hungry right now. Oh t.t., was glancing through threads. I love the photos of Cheerio. I can't wait until I open the last few, well 7 boxes, and find our camera. Well, I guess I'll prepare the chicken now, I'm sure we'll be hungry in a couple of hours. D.H. and D.D went to get her Halloween costume earlier today, and then went to Legals for lunch. D.D. got salmon and hoummas with pita . I've never heard of that combination. I stayed home to clean, and watch a documentary about Jackie O's aunt and cousin who were socialites but ended up recluses in their rundown mansion in the Hamptons- Fascinating, but wicked sad. Enough babbling, I'm off to make some cutlets and sauce. Take care all, bg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I want to see that, BG, are you still scanning the boards?  What time is that on and what station?  Grey Gardens, I think is the name of it. Oh, I'll bet it's HBO and I don't get that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi t.t., I know that HBO produced it, but I think it was on flix channel this afternoon. My husband  was flicking through the channels, and knowing how much I admired Jackie ran out to tell me the channel. While I was watching, I googled Grey Gardens. They did make a movie of them, but this was a documentary with actual footage of them. Needless to say I got SOME cleaning done, but not as much as planned as it was really riveting. Oh, No cooking tonight, we decided on Chinese takeout. What do you have cooking, and how is your greatgrandson? bg

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

At 7 o'clock at night, I have nothing cooking.  At 4:30 this afternoon I heated in the oven a piece of lasagna I had frozen!

I have some pics of GGS that G.T. took this afternoon.  They went over to see him, would have taken me too, but I decided not to go until I'm 100%.  Did get the card stock and embellishments and got the card/poem made.  He is a handsome little guy and G.T. said he is sooo good.  He had made him a quilt for his crib - had done the same for my first GGD.

Grey Gardens is what friends of G.T.'s call their place.  I ordered it from B&N, I think it was.  There are 2 versions, the movie with actresses, and the real documentary.  I got them the documentary, but have never actually seen it myself.  I googled it too and see its on flix3 whatever that is, It was on this morning and is on Wednesday morning.

Believe it or not, watching The Real Housewives of NJ.  That shows you how boring the shows offered on TV are!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

T.T HAHA, I was also watching the Jersey Housewives!! How tacky can people be? It's like a trainwreck though, I wouldn't watch it regularly, but when I happen upon it, I do watch it.bg

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Well, I hope I have better luck posting tonight.  Just got home from dinner out. We went to an Italian place and I had a great dish: chicken, shrimp, artichokes and ziti in a creamy tomato basil sauce. Wow, it was good.  I am stuffed.  For dessert I had a piece of cake with a lemoncello whipped cream filling. Back on the old diet tomorrow.

bg, I recall watching the original Grey Gardens. When it first came out I think it was considered a documentary.  Never watched the HBO series but I did see the musical on Broadway.  Sort of  a bittersweet story with a good dash of humor. I'm glad you're enjoying the north end.  If I lived there, I'd be in those cafes every night eating pastries.  Good thing I don't.

kar, have a good time on Newbury Street.  Make sure you bring a trunk full of money.  My office is right around the corner, but I'm rarely tempted to do anything other than window shop. The only restaurant I can recommend to you is 29 Newbury.  That is both the name and address.  Whenever we celebrate a special occasion at work we go there and I often bring people, aside from work. Very cozy atmosphere, great food and drinks.  You mentioned Cafe Marliave. That is still operating in the same location but not as an Italian restaurant.  Sadly, the owners lost the original restaurant that was there for years, and new owners came in, changed the menu and kept the name.  I've been there once since it changed and I liked it, but it is very different.  When I was a kid, it was a big treat to go to downtown Boston.  My mother, grandmother and aunt took us every Christmas to Jordan Marsh to see the Enchanted Village.  Afterwards, we ate at the Cafe Marliave.  That was  a big treat! Since Filenes and Jordans left, I don't go anymore.  Can't stand to look at the big hole in the ground by Filenes because I remember the area in its heyday.

pingo, hope you are having a good time in PB.  Thanks for asking about my son. He is no longer in Egypt but has transferred to another hot spot.  I try not to think about it.  I think it contributes to my insomnia.  The good news is that the woman who was their cook in Egypt is coming to the states.  My son is trying to get her out and he and my DIL will sponsor her.  She will live with them for the time being and they will employ her.  It should be happening soon.  Since most of the Americans have left, she's had trouble getting work and really has no future there.  

winter, Yoda is adorable.  My father's cat almost never meows.  When he does, it startles us!  I am also allergic but have always built up an immunity to my own cats.  I'm so glad he's eating.

tt, hope you get to see you GGS soon.  I bet you can't wait.  It's very considerate of you to hold off.  I think it's great that GT made him a quilt.  Wish I could sew and do hand work, but that gene escaped me.  Well, that's enough rambling for one night.  I'll be around tomorrow.

mothermitzi 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi mm.,I'm back to a diet again tomorrow as well. Protein and vegetables for 6 weeks does it for me. The cafes here are hard to resist. The tirimisu is my downfall. I have clothes I want to fit in for the holidays though. I am trying to imagine what it must be like for you and your family with your son in such scary areas. What a caring person your son is to help that woman out to a better life. You must be really proud of him.  Oh , the Enchanted Village! Every year when I was little, and the reindeer on the Commons! bg

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh Kar, Second time around is a fun place on Newbury St. D.D. loves perusing Betsy Johnson, and I just say "How cute", and "no way" after I see the price. Way beyond the budget, unless it were something she would wear for four years. We are shopping tomorrow though for new bedding, curtains, and a rug for her room.bg

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]Hi mm.,I'm back to a diet again tomorrow as well. Protein and vegetables for 6 weeks does it for me. The cafes here are hard to resist. The tirimisu is my downfall. I have clothes I want to fit in for the holidays though. I am trying to imagine what it must be like for you and your family with your son in such scary areas. What a caring person your son is to help that woman out to a better life. You must be really proud of him.  Oh , the Enchanted Village! Every year when I was little, and the reindeer on the Commons! bg
    Posted by beastsgirl[/QUOTE]

Thanks bg.  I am very proud of him, and I keep reminding myself he's doing what he loves to do.  I've been dieting as well but tonight I blew it - no regrets though. I'm going to a wedding next weekend and at this point, I'll be stuffing myself into the dress.  I bought it a couple of months ago.  Better try it on tomorrow!  Take care bg.

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I too enjoyed Marliave's.  Yoda is still eating, he's not really active yet, but he's better.  Here is in on his bed sleeping, that I moved next to me on the couch yesterday.

What is everyone doing today?  I have some laundry to finish up and some cleaning to do today.  My son has two tests tomorrow (Social Studies and Vocabulary) so I'll be quizzing him on that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, can you ask GT if this plant is ok for cats?  If anyone else knows that great too.Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is yoda at the plant?  Lots of cats never bother the plants, mine never have.  I'll ask G.T. to look in on the site when he gets back to work Tuesday, they're away today and tomorrow.  In the meantime, someone else may have some knowledge. I've never paid too much notice to harmful plants, just because none of mine ever bothered even the floor ones.

Good news that Yoda's eating still.  Cute pic, I'd just like to see one of him bright eyed and bushy tailed (that's a saying, doesn't mean really a bushy tail!).  Maybe that will come with time.

How did your son's team do yesterday?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, I'm heartbroken to know Marliave's is not the way I remember it - not that I'd be going again, I guess, but it's a nostalgic thing.  Thanks for letting me know, anyway, though so I wouldn't be surprised if we were to happen in.

bg, takeout Chinese, yummy - I'm jealous!  I had leftover stuffed peppers...they were good, but I love takeout.

DH just took Gracie for a crisp, Fall walk in the woods - so sad, it's his last day before he goes back to work.  I hope he's thinking about anything but that while they're out.

Not much going on here today, but the sun looks pretty.  Maybe I'll take Gracie myself later.  DH will certainly be busy outside on his last day home.