October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2011

Nov, I hope your weekend isn't ruined by a cold.  Good you can skip your social engagement.  That run down feeling right before a cold is pretty hard to ignore.

Just found out DH will be very late tonight.  I'm so glad for both of us that he's getting a nice break next week.  

The chicken is out and coming up to its final temperature.  The potatoes, cut up and stewed in vegetable stock and chicken drippings on the bottom of the roasting pan, are delectable.  Am separating the drippings, now, to add to the well-pan-cooked mushrooms and onions with butter and flour.  Hopefully, there's enough liquid to make a decent gravy.  If not, I guess I can add some more vegetable stock - no chicken stock or white wine on hand.  Although, I have time now to run out...nah.

Gracie seems to be none the worse for wear for her ordeal on Tuesday.  Didn't seem so bad for us, either, after the knee surgery saga.

Have a great weekend, everyone.  

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The chicken is awful, WAY overcooked.   I realized that I shouldn't have relied on my probe thermometer when it started off saying "69 degrees" when I stuck it in the still-cold chicken when it was very underdone 30 minutes after pulling it out.  DUH, I know.  So, I butchered it and roasted the pieces.  Now, it's overcooked and disgusting.  DH just said, "Don't worry about it, Honey, Gracie will love it."  Isn't he sweet? :)  So, we have delicious potatoes and gravy with our onions and potatoes, and that's it.  DH will be home very late, around 9:30, probably not very hungry, anyway.  He loses his appetite under stress and when he's over tired...the opposite of what happens to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry about your chicken, Kargiver.  The whole meal sounded so delicious as you were describing  making it.  Things like that happen, we've all had it, just discouraging when it is the main part of the meal.  But, what a surprise for Gracie.

Heat was on this morning when I got up, waiting for that 80 degree temp outside to appear.  Even tho I'm being good about keeping hydrated, cold doesn't seem to want to let go.  Hoping getting out, plus opening up the windows and letting some fresh air go through the house will help.

Do you and DH have any plans for day trips this coming week?  Right now there's no rain forecast until Weds, I believe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Sorry about the chicken Kar...I have had that happen to me more times than I care to remember.

The thermometer reads 53 degrees here...c'mon warmer day...I have lots to do and can't be freezing while doing it.

I'll be around this weekend, although I am now allowed to shout out about our new addition so I think we should go out into the world....maybe...my favorite restaurant for dinner...yup...that will do it for casa d'Icer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How is the mother to be feeling, Icer?  They must be so excited.  Wonder when the time comes that they can learn the sex of the baby if they'll choose to do that.  And, now comes the fun part of going over all those thousands of names and choosing the first and middle names that go good together, or have special meaning to them.

Enjoy your dinner out.  I just had a couple of scoops of the crisp.  It was good hot yesterday, but tastes darn good today with the crisp even crispier.  My plans today, the kitchen and hall floors that I talk about all the time, but never seem to get around to!  Waiting for the temp to warm up so I can open the windows to help them dry faster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Sorry to hear your cold is still lingering, tt. Another round of chicken soup may help. I am sure you are anxious to go and meet your newest relative. Are they home from the hospital now?

Enjoy your dinner out, Icer. Which one is your favorite restaurant? I always like to learn about new places. If it is a good one, we don't mind the drive. Getting kind of stuck with the samo, samo around here.

Too bad about your chicken, Kar. Such disappointment after putting a lot of work into it. When is it dried out, there is not much one can to to salvage it. If it is undercooked, one can always use it for casseroles and such. Hope the potatoes and gravy were satisfying. They sounded scrumptious.

Had a nice evening last night. DH picked up son and they brought back two of his co-workers. They are here until Sunday, when they have to go to Orlando for another conference. Nice young people. They were planning for all of us to go out to eat, but I had make one of son's favorite dishes - a pork roast with all the trimmings (including my gravy w/ the Red Current Jelly) - and had plenty to share. They never had this and loved it. We had a lovely visit, until son drove them back to the hotel. Today they will go sightseeing in Boston and do the DuckTour. Fortunately for them, it is warming up - the weekend should be nice.

Don't know what our plans for today are yet. But I am sure we will not sit at home and stare at each other - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thansk for reminding me I'm not alone in my chicken debacle.  We managed - the dark meat wasn't as dry. :)

We don't have any particular plans for the week.  DH usually takes a week off around this time of year to winterize the property and cars so if it's not raining, that's what he'll be doing.  Having him home is nice no matter what we're doing.  The rain on Thursday might give us a movie day...I hope!

He's putting off going to NH and is out right now with Gracie, both of them dressed in blaze orange, heading to the woods.  Her mouth doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, and her ripped off toenail is nearly all grown back.  She won't tend to torque her knee on a hike (no room for fetch) so that should be OK, too.  And, she is free to jump in and out of the truck with no assistance.  Could it be?  Is she.......OK??????

tt, colds really dig in hard, don't they?  Sorry to hear you're still under the weather, and it is supposed to be so nice out this weekend, too!  Darn it.  The floors can wait until you feel better, can't they?  As you noted, no rain in the forecast through Wednesday, and you will turn the corner before then, I'm sure.

Nov, how did you wake up feeling today?  I hope you got a good night's sleep and beat it.

Pingo, lovely of you to have made your son's favorite - it's a great one, indeed.  Love that current jelly gravy.  And, it's so much nicer to visit at home rather than over the din of a restaurant, I think.  And, warmer in every way.  Have a great weekend with your special company.

icer, how exciting to have the gag order lifted!!!  Enjoy your celebratory dinner.

Winter, how is the costume coming along?  I'm not very crafty, either, (outside of being able to follow a crochet pattern) so I'd be in trouble with such school projects.  DH would have to step in and help poor Mom - he's got more of an eye and talent for those things even if he wouldn't admit it. ;)

So far, so cold out.  Although, the sun looks lovely.  I'm glad DH is out hiking before it gets as warm as they predict.  He'll be leaving after lunch and returning tomorrow early evening.  I'm considering taking Gracie to a dog-friendly beach in the Boston area tomorrow, but it's a 2 hour drive.  We've have to get up and out early, and I'd need to get all the chores done here today.  Many open to dogs starting Oct 1, and it won't even be cold out.  Bonus...at least as far as Mom is concerned, lol.  Gracie enjoys it most in the 50s and 60s.

I've got to get myself together and get going on lunch so DH can leave whenever he gets the gumption.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mom and Baby were coming home today.  Normally, I would be there with a tray of lasagna and one of sweets, for just a short visit and then make my departure.  But - - - - -  I'll call later this evening and see how everyone got settled in.

Windows are open, nice warm sunshine coming in the front of the house. Walked up back to see if the peelings I left yesterday were gone, no, still there, so no visitors last night.

Stripped the bed and decided to take down the bedroom curtains at the same time and get them washed today.  One of the windows I had to leave up, it's a bigger window and I wouldn't be able to get the rod back up without help on one end.  Love this time of year, the old Fall cleaning bug hits.

Your DH has a beautiful day to drive north, Kargiver.  Plus, he'll get to enjoy some foliage.  Have trees out there started to turn yet?  Nothing in my vicinity.

Nice supper you fixed last night, Pingo.  Fun to have a couple of your son's friends along too.  I'm sure they appreciated the home cooked meal - as well as your sparkling company too, of course!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our trees have been turning for a couple of weeks, now, because we are at 1000 feet elevation.  We're always ahead color wise of the folks at sea level.  Remember the photo of Gracie on the wooded path covered with leaves?  That was from 2 weeks ago!  So, you're right, DH will have a lovely drive this afternoon.

Sorry your cold still banishes you from the early baby festivities.  But, remember, it will be just as hard for them with a newborn to make dinner and such a week or two from now after everyone intial excitement and extra help has waned.  Your lasagna and goodies will be even more appreciated then, I think.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

kar, we're opposites. We're at sea level. Literally. High tide comes within 500 feet or less or my building.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, so you are the one I hear laughing to our East when we're buried in snow and you just get a dusting - again!  Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, if you at all can manage to bundle up and find a sunny spot outside - it will do a lot of good for your cold. I just came in from sitting 1/2 hour on our deck with a cuppa. The sun is so warm and healthy. Got warmed up to my innermost bone. Plus stocked up on vitamin-D. - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"The Family" is out next door - so not the most condusive to relaxation right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry, I forgot about them. I feel so bad for you, that you have to be confined to indoor, because of unruly and loud neighbors. Buy a good pair of ear plugs.
    - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Ha ha! I wish we received more snow. It just gets all mushy in my neighborhood from all the salt air. I haven't been able to use my x-c skiis in the area since moving here four years ago. (Has it been that long? I was only planning to stay here for two years.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He was trying to rollerskate or rollerblade on top of the picnic table, with the mother screaming, "Get dooooowwwwwwnnnn!  Get dooooowwwwnnn noowww"! I went out up to the corner of my yard away from them, but so they could see me, and they went in.  Maybe that's the secret, as with pulling shade up and down and slamming the back door!  Gawd, what I'm reduced to with them around.

You were right tho, it is beautiful in the sun.  Slathered sunscreen on and just soaked it up for 20 minutes or so.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

rdg, lol!  I'd take slush over 3 ft+ of snow any day!  Time does fly.  I hope you are happy there - where were you planning to go 2 years ago?

tt, too bad about the neighbors.  I thought that problem had grown up and moved away...  I'm reduced to screaming at the neighbor's dog to "SHUT UP!" hoping they hear me and get him the heck inside.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everyone, I just caught up with the last few days of Chat. T.t. So happy for you, and your family with the new baby boy!!! The past few days, I've been fighting a cold. I thought, at first it was allergies. I'm just super hydrating right now. My street is closed tomorrow for a parade, I'm sure it will be fun but crowded. Kar, I am so happy your Gracie is feeling better. Winter, I always am stressed when D.D. has projects to do for school. I'm just not good at it, and the other parents are. One year, it seemed like it was the parent's project,not the childrens. T.t., I think I would take a sreetful of tourists for a few hours over your neighbors. I do wish that you didn't have to put up with that. Stitches has a new trick. He goes into one of the "loos", and picks up the toilet seat with his nose. Bang, Bang, Bang., at 2-3 a.m. We now have to make sure the doors are closed. I was given apples and pears from a friend, and am looking up some recipes. Tomorrow might not be the best day, s it is going to be 80!bg

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi bg..nice to read your post...we live on a parade route and it can be lots of fun...we treat it like a snow storm...get everything you need in the house and then...don't leave...Enjoy it! ..and lets keep your cat away from ours okey doke?

TT sorry about your neighbors...I know how uncomfortable that situation can be. I do hope your cold goes away overnight...

Soooo pingoooo...Is Son of Pingo still about? Great night to sit out on the deck.
    I think Honey and I will sit out in our screened in porch...I'll take my own advise

Kar whether DH stays home or goes I am certain you will enjoy the evening too...I hope he stays( wringing hands)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I got my apple/pear recipe from Cook's - revamped it a bit to suit me, I'll post it to give you a basic idea to go by.

I made this in a 9" pie plate.  Butter the pie plate then add the following:

4 large apples (I used Cortland), peeled and sliced- if small apples, use more, you want it raised a bit in the middle like an apple pie when both fruits are done
    2 pears, sliced (I didn't peel mine, they were soft)
    1/3 cup apple juice (you could use water or apple cider - just for juiciness)
    Sprinkling of cinnamon and lighter sprinkling of nutmeg

Topping:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup margarine
    Work topping together with fork or fingers until crumbly.  You may have to add a tsp or more margarine to get the desired crumbleness.  Sprinkle over the fruit.
    I placed my pie plate on a cookie sheet (you could also place a piece of foil on rack underneath) to catch any juices that spatter over.

Bake in 350 oven for 50-60 minutes until fruit is tender and crust is lightly brown.

You can use as many apples/pears in whatever ratio you wish.  Hope you enjoy. I'm loving mine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, is Stitches looking for water?  Just wondering with his new toilet trick.

I was down cellar bringing up clothes out of the dryer and Cheerio was in the kitchen trying to get my attention - I told her, "No, it's not supper time yet," and then looked out the open kitchen door - Pretty Baby was out there sitting.  Thought it was pretty decent of Cheerio to let me know - I wouldn't have seen him otherwise.  He's never come around at night time, it's always been in the morning, so I was surprised to see him.  Glad tho, I had wondered how he had recovered from his scare of Daisy sticking her big face under the shrub at him!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bg, so good to hear from you.  I think there have always been a group of parents who do an unscrupulous amount of their kids' projects - it always boiled my blood both as a kid (who did her fair share) and as an adult.  Thanks - Gracie seems to be back to her old self (I can hardly remember what that is)!  Sorry to hear your sniffles turned out to be a cold.  I guess they are really going around.

icer, I'm wringing hands, too, for DH's safe travels and tinder-box visiting.  He's had a nap, an early dinner, and is in the shower.  I assume he'll be leaving in an hour.  I've been gently pushing him to go in time to make it all the way in daylight, but I failed, at least in part, but he's a good driver so I shouldn't worry.

tt, nice recipe, as always, it looks yummy.  How's the cold tonight? 

Nov, how are you feeling?

Pingo, we're all thinking of you and your special weekend with son and friends.

...left this awhile to help DH pack and leave.  So, here we are, me and Gracie, and his cloud of dust in the driveway.  Sigh.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi T.t., Stitches always has fresh water in his dish. D.H. always makes sure of it. Stitches just likes lots of attention, and is for whatever reason is fascnated with sinks and toilets. Nedless to say, the bathrooms are off limits. Today he sat on windowsills, looking out most of the day. We're getting the stuff we have in storage this week. All the pets on the other thread are so fun to look at. Our camera is in a box somewhere.bg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh T.t Thanks, I've got everything but the brown sugar, and  I can pick that up in the a.m. at the corner store. You must be so excited with your new greatgrandson. Icer, I love your avatar.bg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've yet to see that little guy, bg, but yes, I'm really happy for them.  My biggest thing will be to write a poem for him before my visit.  Hasn't come to me yet, mornings when I get up with this cold, I'm either blocked up or blowing my nose and coughing up a storm.

Saw a crockpot recipe in my family circle that came today - chicken with wine, carrots, onions.  Sounds good and easy for tomorrow.  Bought some chicken sausages when I had hopes of G.T. coming down one of the days.  I know now they won't this week-end, but will still hold them until Monday and then I'll cook them up for meals for myself.

Hope when you get your camera unpacked you'll take a pic of Stitches and post. I love seeing all the animals.  I should have known that you would of course make sure he had plenty of water, but that was the first thing I thought of.