October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2011

You're welcome, tt, glad you enjoyed your cabbage dinner!  You inspire me all the time so it's only fair. :)

Our stuffed peppers are done and sitting in the oven.  I made another cooking blunder, however.  I made the cardinal error of not tasting an unfamiliar ingredient before adding it.  Sigh.  The seasoned bread crumbs were VERY salty, and I didn't know it.  I seasoned the stuffing assuming the crumbs were not salted.  You can imagine the result.  But, I think I salvaged it by adding a whole bunch of plain wild rice (thank you, TJs), adding a 1/2 cup of sour cream, and making a salt-free yogurt finishing sauce.  I know I'll like them (I love salt, actually), but DH...it's a crp shoot.  Oh, here he comes.  I'll let you know how it goes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4418384. Show user_4418384's posts

x

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

How did the cabbage rolls turn out, Kargiver?  Too bad about the salt mixup.  The combination of ingredients you used sounds delicious.  I don't salt any food/baked goods, so when I get something salty, it does hit my mouth immediately.  Maybe that's the same reaction your husband gets.  I bought a box of cheeze its for that salt craving I get once in a while, but they tasted sooo salty that I threw them out.

Have a fairly early appt. this morning, and may stop on the way home for a little store poking, so probably won't be on the boards again until this afternoon. Christmas shopping time, and looking for something unusual yet seasonal to bring out to G.T.'s for Thanksgiving.

Winter, let us know how you make out when you speak with the vet about bringing Yoda in.  How was he when you got home last night?  Did he come running out to see you, or run and hide, or was he already hiding?  I love the memories of orienting a new kitty to the house.  They're so funny.  It doesn't take long for them to decide they're the boss!

Chat later.

ETA:  Sorry, I meant stuffed peppers  - - -!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, tt, et al,

The salt-free yogurt sauce saved the day because it was in dire need of at least a little salt.  So, we poured that over it and, voila!  Fixed and delicious.  DH never suspected I was in a panic there for a few minutes, and he even had seconds.

I also have a morning appointment (chiropractor).  Since DH is home I don't have to hurry home for Gracie so I'll enjoy a leisurely trip to TJ's.  I always find some delectable new treasure that way, and I can return those terrible prepared Indian meals.

We have an electrician (necessary by law) coming today to install our generator, the one we've been planning to have hooked up since the Ice Storm a few years ago.

Oh, there's the teakettle whistling for DH's tea...gotta go.  Oh, gotta get ready, anyway.  

Chat later,
    ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  tt, I was home after DH, but he got Yoda from under the couch and put him in front of his food.  He walked away, but when DH left the room he came back and ate.  The Vet in Wakefield called me back at 5:30 and we have an appointment on the 22nd.  I told her I have a paper that lists the vaccinations that he has had (first distemper, rabies shot and one de worming) and she said to bring that and a stool sample along. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

So doesn't Yoda look completely blissful in daddy's hands :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]Good morning everyone.  tt, I was home after DH, but he got Yoda from under the couch and put him in front of his food.  He walked away, but when DH left the room he came back and ate.  The Vet in Wakefield called me back at 5:30 and we have an appointment on the 22nd.  I told her I have a paper that lists the vaccinations that he has had (first distemper, rabies shot and one de worming) and she said to bring that and a stool sample along. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he'll be a lot more used to you guys and being handled by then.  It'll be interesting to see what breed the vet thinks he is too.  Do you have a dangly toy to play with him?  That'll get him out from under the couch when you're home, just doing that back and forth on the floor, closer and then further away from him, kind of coaxes him out.  Kittens love to play.

Haven't seen much of Pretty Baby since Daisy's visit.  Maybe once a week he's been out there now, doesn't seem to hang around as much.  I've closed the closet door to Cheerio today, don't want her to get used to constantly going in there to sleep.  This morning I hardly got out of my robe and dressed, when she was up on the bed, washing up and curling up on the robe - which probably was still warm from me!  She's always been a cat that craved the heat.  Laughed at her yesterday, rolling from one side to the other on the l.r. rug, toasting first one side and then the other in the sun.

ETA:  Saw your pics when my post came up.  He's really a beauty.  It won't take any time at all now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, did you get Charlie when he was this age?  How much was he eating?  Yoda is eating about a quarter of a small can at a time, so a hald of can a day.  I don't think he's touched the kibble yet, but maybe.

ETA:  Pretty Baby probably took one look at big Daisy and said wow.  Too cute that Cheerio likes to cuddle on your robe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I got Charlie when he was 8 weeks.  The pet shop where he had been dropped off and then the vet where my GD worked and took him, had been feeding him kibble, so I put out a little kibble but also a little wet fancy feast.  I don't honestly remember how much he ate, I do know he was never as food oriented as Cheerio is.  She would eat hers and then go over and he would move and let her eat his.  Finally ended feeding him up on a shelf that went between the fridge and stove.  (She couldn't leap up there, it was too narrow).  Half a can a day is plenty, I would think.  As old as Cheerio is, she only gets 1/2 can (and they're little cans) of fancy feast in the morning, and then 1/4 cup kibble at night.  I do keep another 1/4 cup kibble on the shelf for when she's acting STARVED, and will put a few pieces on her plate.  Make sure there is always a little bowl of fresh water next to his food also.  I do think 1/4 cup at a time is the right ratio.  The vet can give you guidelines also.

On my way out, so will catch up later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter, those are great pictures : )  He seems like he is getting use to you guys more and more.  I put one can of wet food down when I get home and that is for both cats.  I also leave kibble, so what Yoda is eating sounds about right to me but your vet will know better.  I was going to the VCA in Everett and was very happy with them, although a bit more expensive. I changed vets when I moved as it was more convienent.  Pingo, I forgot to post and tell you yesterday I made the homey noodle cassarole Saturday and it came out delicious!  I did not double it as it was only for me with DD in NY.  But def a keeper and want to make for me and her next time, so will double it then.  Thanks for much!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you.  Currently we are giving him Max Cat for kittens, which he was having at home and Hill's dry food for kittens.  He has fresh water next to some kibble and the wet food.  They estimate he is about 2.8 pounds :)
    Thanks Amber. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Winter, so much fun with a new kitty. He is absolutely beautiful. Such pretty face. Looks like he doesn't mind to be handled.  Are you taking him to Wakefield Animal  Hospital by any chance? We have only good things to say about them. They were wonderful to our dog. The kennel next door not so much. It is independent from the vet and chanced name from when we used it, so it is probably new owners.
    tt, why would Pretty Baby hang around, when you have stopped feeding him? He is not stupid.
    Thanks, Amber. I am glad you enjoyed it. I eat it sometimes cold for lunch, when I am too lazy to heat it up. It is good that way too.
    Going out of town for a few days to visit PB son, so I have been working late for the past couple of days. Staying home today to take care of my house. Lots of ironing to do. And my plants need TLC too. While TX son was here, I kind of let everything slide.
    Looks like Indian Summer is over. Cool house this morning. Chat later - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo we are going to VCA Wakefield Hospital, near The Gingerbread Construction Company.  I'm glad you have some good experience there.  I was going to go to Stoneham Animal Hospital, but it didn't get stellar reviews on yelp.  Have a great time in PB with your son, what are you bringing with you for food? 

Kar, the food we are giving him lists this as ingredients.  Is this ok to give him you think?  I thought you said the first ingredient should be a meat, etc.

Chicken broth, chicken, turkey, chicken liver, beef liver, cod, ground rice, dried egg product, guar gum, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, salt, carrageenan, sodium ascorbate (source of vitamin C), taurine, iron oxide, ferrous sulfate, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), copper sulfate, manganous sulfate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, sodium selenit

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, I just got back in from a VERY productive shopping excursion (I should be telling Novem this, she loves when I find treasures!), and noticed your new signature.  I think it's very appropo and thank you.

Had a bone density test early on and then stopped in Target where I finally picked up some Coldeze (will cancel appt. with NP tomorrow), kibble, paper plates and Halloween candy, plus some peppermint patties for Moi.  THEN, came the big shopping excursion to Marshall's.  Haven't been in there in months.  Boy, I knew I was going to  be lucky when I found a parking space 3 spots from the door!  Never get that close, and it was mobbed too.  Got a couple of teen Christmas presents, and some little basket fillers, as well as my thanksgiving gift for G.T.'s and a couple of things for again, Moi.  Had to make 2 trips lugging it all in the house!  Cheerio, of course, spotted, or sniffed out, her kibble and is not waiting for the formalities of me opening it, she already has a corner torn off.

Want to get a salad made before Y&R.  Pingo, good for you going to visit son.  Beautiful time of year for any kind of traveling.  Gotta go, I hear more of the bag being torn - what a girl -

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Excellent score, tt!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have to tell you, I saw a cute baby bib and was so tempted to get it for newborn, but it was a pumpkin with crossed eyes - AND you know how new first-time mothers are - - - afraid she might get offended, so I passed on that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what a great haul at Marshall's.  That's too funny that Cheerio ripped the bag. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, don't you just love when you go shopping and come home with bags of things you wanted and liked?  That is so funny Cheerio is trying to get the bag open : )  She is quite the diva! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sounds like you had a wonderful shopping trip. Have to go to Marshall's myself. Need some new tops, and I am NOT going to pay the prices, Macy's and others ask.  Had a windfall, when we went to Wrentham Outlets a months or so ago. But I have cleaned out my closets and I need more. And Marshall's is good. I don't need to be up-to-date stylish any more.
    Winter, I am going all by myself and will be travelling light. Just bringing my carry-on. So no place for goodies. But I am planning to cook up a storm while there. DS wil be working part time some of the days, so I will have plenty of time.
    I promised a long time ago, I would come and stay with him for a week - so this it, before he moves to England. Even though it will not be an entire week, it will do. When he was living in Binghamton, NY - I did that. I brought my sewing machine and made him curtains for his apartment. We had such a grand time. He still remember this so fondly. Hopefully, when he is settled "over there", I will be able to do the same. I thought, I was doing fine with his relocating, but now as it gets nearer and nearer, I am choking up.
    Maybe because I did the same to my parents. Now I feel so bad and guilty myself.
    But he is excited, and I have to feel excited for him. It is such a great opportunity for him, and as a parent, I have to support him. But ----
    mm, haven't heard form you. How is your son doing overseas? Praying he is well.
    The laundry is calling me - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have no idea what they have in right now in the line of clothes, Pingo.  I never hit that department today.  Did pick up a nightie, in the almost non existant lingerie department - boy have they scaled that back.  Got some glass acorns and other colored pieces to pour in my candle holder, some new dish towels, a box of nonparellis - those for me.  Pleased with the little basket fillers I found too.  It's a start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I've had no luck at Marshall's lately for clothes, or even shoes.  Good to hear there is some good stuff in home goods and for gifts.  You said you picked up a nightie, tt, but if you are in the market for more PJs, Kohls carrie some good ones - they have a line that is really soft and comfy cotton with mix and match pants, tops and shorts.  The name escapes me, but you'd know it by the touch. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November, you know, I have never shopped at Khol's. Don't know why - I have nothing against Khol's, but I have never gone into their store. I guess we get so habit forming shopping at the stores, we know. Would love those soft PJ's you are mentioning. Will check them out.
    Just started a second batch of sweet and sour red cabbage to go with the leftover pork roast for tonight. That and my cucumber salad.
    Still doing laundry and ironing, but I am relaxed (and chatting on and off, LOL). Need to find myself sometimes. My office is so busy, that I get burnt out. Good to have an entire day away to reorganize my thoughts; what is important in life and what is not. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

thanks.  I'll check them out.  Have been waiting for another of those $10 cards on anything that I get in the mail every so often.  Usually use it to put towards towels which they always seem to have on sale at the same time.  they really have a good selection and a wide range in the towel department.

In Marshall's, while they did still have some Thanksgiving stuff, Halloween was non-existant and the shelves were  being filled with Christmas dishes etc.  Love my little box of glass acorns etc.  usually they're just colored glass stones, but these have acorns and a couple of other things I didn't look too closely, just poured the colored stones I have now in there out and put these in.  Already sampled the peppermint patties, and think I'm in pretty good shape for the kids' Halloween bags.  Had bought some Halloween pencils and do you thnk I can find them?  That's the trouble with buying stuff too far ahead of time.  Can't imagine where I tucked - oh, I know, I put them in the bag with the Halloween cards.  See?  I just needed to think out loud - - -

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, that food looks excellent.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad I closed the closet off to Cheerio today - now she's been up all day, like she should, lying at the slider, watching the birds and chipmunks.  That closet was getting to be too convenient for her just to go in and sleep.  When I came back in, heard an unfamiliar bird call out back and saw something fly up into the tree - it was a flicker.  Never heard their actual birdcall before.  Watched a squirrel dig and bury separate walnuts I had thrown out.  Had a new bag and the others in the fridge had been in there quite a while, so while not rancid, didn't really need them.  He painstakingly buried each one in a different spot.