October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2011

Good Sunday morning,

Just heard the screen door open, which means delivery of my Sunday paper, but I'll take a few minutes to post.

Nice to find your morning post, mm, tho not so nice for you being still awake at that hour.  Are you going to be the one planting 200 bulbs?  I couldn't imagine doing that, even in my "good knees" days.  Your garden will be beautiful to see come spring.

Cookie making was fun, there are still new cutters that I didn't use, they were designated for the baby shower in case I wanted them.  One is that blunt bootie that I'll use at Christmas as a stocking, another a baby bottle,  and then of course that non descript flag blowing in the breeze.  Yesterday had to clearly be Halloween designs, for "Papa."  How she loves her Papa.  We did ghosts (new), bats, feet (just because we like them), scaredy cats, quarter moons, and dog bones (well, that one needs no explanation!).  That's all I can remember right now.  I've quite a collection from the Little Fox Factory now.

Had hoped my other GD would be able to get over with her mastiff, but it wasn't to be.  They are such sweet, gentle dogs.  I think Daisy spied Pretty Baby ducking under the shrub, when they took her out back she headed right towards there and I had to warn them not to let her get too close or she'd get scratched.  I don't expect to see the cat out there for a day or two.  What a surprise he got!

Nothing planned today, except to make an apple/pear crisp to use some the fruit I bought Friday.  Haven't decided whether to make a dinner of chicken ala king or use up the last of the cabbage and a piece of kielbasa and toss them in a pot with potatoes and carrots for a boiled dinner - of sorts.  Breakfast, of course, will be pancakes.

Speaking of breakfast, I am hungry, so will get started on my day.  Hope to chat with you all later.  Need some more postings on the fall decoration thread, come on, folks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bon Appetit - this Sunday morning -

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

yu are getting pretty good with that camera TT...Honey and I ..well...just me I guess kindof took the day off yesterday..I was exhausted..Honey worked really hard yesterday...In our town, on Juy 14th was a terrible accident where upon a local young man ended up being paralized. He is now in Atlanta I believe..We follow his progress on FaceBook..Anyway Honey put in some stuff for when he comes home...ramps ect. I really did the bare minimum..My head is still reeling.

We will put up Halloween decos today, so DO expect some new pictures.We have tons of decorations for outside...actually our whole neighborhood does...

So nice to hear/read from everyone..MM love your fall avatar..I do remeber it from last year.

Thanks for the cuppa...we'll talk later

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mmmmm! Pancakes! Now I think, I will make pancakes this morning too. I still have some leftover of the blueberry syrup I made. But of course, no one goes wrong with maple syrup.
    Had a nice evening with DS. I love my DIL to pieces, but having him alone is special. Later today he will be checking into his hotel for the conference. No need to drive back and forth and battle the morning traffic to Boston. If he has free time, we are planning to meet him in Boston for dinner at least once during the week; then pick him up again Friday. He will be leaving Sunday evening, so we will have a nice weekend together.
    Mhu-Shu went over well last night. I have to admit, the real Mhu-Shu pancakes were a lot better than the tortillas. Today we will have the lobster rolls for lunch, and then we will probably eat dinner in Boston after he checks in.
    Cool out today. I notices it is only 41 degrees in PB. Their weather is usually a forerunner, for what we are to expect. So bundle up.
    Nice to see your post this morning, mm. I see you found your fall avatar. I like it a lot. How is your foot doing with all you have to do at the office, while your boss is away. Best thoughts for his father. It is not easy to have an ailing person living out of town. But your boss is blessed to have you to take of his business up here, while he is gone.
    You all have a nice Sunday. I will be around and will check in later - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer.  LOVE your new avatar!!

Yes, I remember reading about a motorcycle accident somewhere on the South Shore, was that the one?  Terrible what can happen in an instant.  What a good feeling to be able to do something to help in some way.

Thought I heard a cat crying so left my paper and went to the back door - no cat, it is evidently the kids next door that I can hear - even with the windows/doors closed.  Lordy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad your supper went over well, Pingo.  Nice to have your son up here for the week, especially giving you next week-end with him to look forward to.

I'm so full from the pancakes, can't even think of what I want for dinner/supper later on.  Don't know what I'll thaw out to get ready.  Do have to do some baking today tho, because believe it or not, there's not a drop of anything sweet to snack on - other than candy.  Wasn't thinking, and sent ALL the cookies home with them yesterday.  Will get the pear/apple crisp made this morning.

Well, back to the paper - -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Tt...actually this boy was a lifeguard that recieved his injuries at the local watering hole...He was a lifeguard there but it was not his shift..he was paying some kind of water game that the kids play and went into the shallw end of the "pool", he recieved spinal injuries...it is amazing how much progress he had made He is learning to write with a mouth piece..he can now operate a wheelchair with his mouth too!..It is nice they put up a FB page for all of us to see his progress.

We just took down all the decos..oh boy! Hope it doesn't rain and put a kybosh to our decorating fun

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, those swimming accidents are terrible.  I can't imagine what he and his family are going through, knowing this is probably a lifelong situation.  I remember reading about what I think was a motorcycle accident and that that young man was also now in Georgia at a specialized rehab facility.

Get those decorations up and some pics over here!  It's cloudy here too, but I don't think it's raining at all.

House smells so good as I go from room to room. - Pancakes -

Just was in my room in time to hear the mother screaming - pulled up my shade and the boy was climbing out the window, with her hanging on to him and screaming - she honestly is worse than he is.  He didn't go far, just ran around the house.  But, I pull up my shade now and then or open and slam my back door when the screaming is going on outside, just to let them know the noise has gone on too long.  I don't think I want to live next door to them as he hits his teens - they can't control him now - what is going to happen then. Fortunately, he never heads over here, usually takes off down a dead-end side street, with her screaming after him.  Drama in the burbs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Gee TT that sounds aweful...Do they rent by any chance? If they did..you may have a chance of a peacefull existance in the future..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nope.  They bought.  I'm still not sure if it's some kind of a halfway house with the 2 kids and a man and a woman - I suppose I could find out down at Town Hall. G.T. reminds me that I have movie capabilities on my camera and that I should take a pic (particularly of her wild behavior) and catch one of the social workers when they come each week. - Don't want to get that involved as yet.  Besides, you need the audio (may have that capability too, I don't know)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt, your breakfast looks yummy.  I had coffee and oatmeal when I woke up and now I want something more substantial.  Sorry you have that commotion going on next door. Yes, I will be planting the bulbs.  Most in containers and a few in the ground.

pingo, nice you will come in town and have dinner this week and then you have your son for another weekend. I don't mind holding down the fort at the office here.  They understand now though I will never fill in in NY again.  The last time was too much for me.  My foot is better.  I go back to the doctor next week. Want to be sure I'm ok before I go to a family wedding later this month.  

Have a nice day everybody.  Looks grey out there but no rain so far.

mothermitzi 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"tt, love the pictures of the Halloween cookies.  "

Funny story about the cookies.  My DIL was helping Lilly (her granddaughter) sprinkle the cookies on the cookie sheet with the different colored sugars, after I did the cutting out.  At 5, Lilly is very independent and apt to be a bit on the bossy side.  By the time the last sheet of dough was being cut out, Lilly had lost interest and was in the toyroom playing with her brother.  My DIL said, "At last.  I've been dying to put black sprinkles on the bats, and Lilly wouldn't let me!"  We all started laughing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that is too funny! Bats do indeed need black sprinkles. Btw. thanks for the explanation on which cookie cutters were used. Now I can see the doggie bones, the feet and the cats.
    I know you have complained about the family next door on and off. For you I hope they move out soon. Just how old is that boy now? Climbing out the window? He definitely has some problems as well. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Of course he does.  We think he is autistic, but she claims he is just over active.  He is probably 7 or 8.  He's big. I have a hard time believing it's a married couple taking care of these two kids, she certainly is not playing with a full deck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, a lot to catch up on here!  I have to admit I skimmed for the photos which are great.  I get my cookie fix vicariously through you, tt, thanks.  Add me to the pancake cravers, now, too.  We ran out of spelt, though, so we'll have to wait a day or two.  

Will catch up this afternoon - we had a lazy morning then I ran to the store for a couple of lunch necessities...now to put it on.  

More later - thinking of you!

Blessings,
    ~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I read with great interest the info. you wrote a while ago about the genetic changed grains. Amazing it took this long to realize, it was not such a good idea after all. No doubt, we are paying our price now with all kinds of ailments. Do you grind your own spelt? Just curious. My SIL has a grinder and grind all her own flours. It is like freshly ground coffee; you can taste the freshness. And no added bromides or whatever. She just grind, what she needs at the moment.
    Too bad about your pancakes. Ours were delicious. TJ's multi grain mix with bananas and maple syrup. Chat later - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you'd be highly interested to watch the documentary, The Future of Food.  I don't grind my own spelt, but I admire your SIL for doing that.  I'm content with ordering this by the ton:  Amazon 4 packs Arrowhead Organic Spelt  free shipping so it doesn't cost any more than buying it at Whole Foods...maybe less.  I think they charge about $5 for a 2 lb bag, and this is $4.50.

I've read in Woman's World since I saw that news segment that said the same thing about genetically modified wheat.  The protein they modified to get higher yields also causes people to feel hungrier (and gain weight for it) and have inflammation that mimics arthritis...just like my aunt has said for years.  What I haven't heard about, yet, is how modified corn and soy can "boast" the same side effects for their higher yield plants.  The documentary goes into much detail about, well, the future of the food supply and the state it's in right now.

ETA:  TJs maple syrup is so good...and cheap, too.  How do they do it?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The pumpkin bread is starting to smell so good.  DH is still going a mile a minute cleaning the basement...I can hear the shop vac and a lot of banging around down there.  

Tuesday is Gracie's tooth day, and I'm getting more and more anxious about the procedure and aftermath.  I'll pick her up that day.  Guess the pet ramp will need to be dusted off...she's too heavy for me to pick up into the car, and I doubt she'll have much spring to her feet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Kargiver,

Pumpkin bread sure sounds like Fall.  G.T. will be making pumpkin whoopie pies soon.  I made a cake this afternoon and am waiting (not patiently) for it to cool enough for me to frost.  Using the last of the whipped frosting I have, with an addition of a melted square of chocolate.  Apple/pear crisp never got made.

I can understand your apprehension at Gracie's dental appt.  She'll be fine, it's just a little tooth, not like they had to go in and extract a molar.  I know something like that is hard to do alone tho.  Is the dr. fairly near you or will you just find something to do in the neighborhood until it's time to pick her up?  She'll be fine, she's been through a lot worse than this.

Busy week, with appts. and lunch at the end of the week.  Curious as what the temp will be tomorrow.  This time of year is hard to know how to dress.  I'm usually dressed too warm by the time the end of the day has rolled around.

Quiet boards today.  Did get a little done around the house tho.  Just went out and sliced a piece of WARM cake and spread some of the frosting right on it.  With a glass of milk - delicious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, oh my, warm frosted cake with a cold glass of milk - what a delight!  Our pumpkin bread came out good, too, but I bet it wasn't quite as scrumptious as that cake.

Thanks for comforting me about Gracie - I know you're right, and she'll be OK.  I hate putting her under, though, you know.  It's about 40 minutes from the house, her drop off time is 7:45, and I have a doc's appointment at 10:30 in Worcester (10 minutes from where Gracie will be).  After that, I'll fit whatever errands I can in before they call with the hour's notice that I can pick her up.

Fall is like that, isn't it?  I almost always overdress - mornings are so cold, but afternoons are lovely and I'm peeling off layers by 2:00.

Gotta get dinner going, good night,

~kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, no apple/pear crisp? I was going to copy you, tt - but had only one pear left and it was too ripe for a crisp. Enough apples, but I wanted the mixture of apples AND pears, with twice as many pears as apples. A delicious combination.
    So instead I made my mother's "applecake", which is not really a cake, but layers of barely cooked apples and butter sauteed breadcrumbs with a bit of sugar. Then covered with real whipped cream and dots of Red Currant Jelly. My family loves it.

I am feeling cold in the house today, but it is a bit too early to start the heat. Today is  a day, I wish we had a wood burning stove - just to take off the chill. But otherwise I am glad, I don't have to bother with it. We do have fireplaces, but they are a pain to clean, and guess, who will be doing that? So, I kept quiet. Have put an extra fleece on.
    - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, no crisp, I ended up eating one of the pears today and that ended my craving for the crisp.  Delicious pears from Brooksby's, if you're interested.  Had sent some home with DIL and talked with my son today who enjoyed one also.

Went and got a second sliver of frosted cake, so that's it for me for the night.  Didn't have the enthusiasm to make up another batch of cookies, and was cravng a sweet, so just baked a Betty Crocker yellow cake and that suited me fine.  Glad I used that coupon and picked them up on sale last week.

I've kept my house closed today, so haven't noticed any chill.  I'm sure tomorrow morning I will tho.  Leaving my thermostat set at 60 so, I'm sure it will go on during the night.  Can't stand to be cold.

Did you get your son settled at his hotel and dine out tonight?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]"tt, love the pictures of the Halloween cookies.  " Funny story about the cookies.  My DIL was helping Lilly (her granddaughter) sprinkle the cookies on the cookie sheet with the different colored sugars, after I did the cutting out.  At 5, Lilly is very independent and apt to be a bit on the bossy side.  By the time the last sheet of dough was being cut out, Lilly had lost interest and was in the toyroom playing with her brother.  My DIL said, "At last.  I've been dying to put black sprinkles on the bats, and Lilly wouldn't let me!"  We all started laughing.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Cute story tt.  I don't usually make cookies for Halloween, but now I'm thinking it might be  a nice project for my GD's when they next visit.  We rolled out sugar cookies last Christmas.  I do hope they remember all of this. I have a hard time passing up candy corn and the bags of those Halloween confections in different shapes and colors.  So yummy, but I'll eat at least half a bag at a sitting.

Spent time today with a longtime friend who had  a knee replacement.  Made my foot problem pale in comparison.  Cooked a piece of hake and had it with swiss chard.  Fell asleep and now I'm awake.  Not good.  Just had a second glass of warm milk.

mothermitzi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I love The Paper Store, too. I will so use the Vinin Square one, tt, thank you fopr posting that.

And now, an iParty will be opening at Wonderland, so I don't have to schlep all over Massachusetts to find one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Just heard the screen door open, which means delivery of my Sunday paper, but I'll take a few minutes to post.

Like me, tt, you get the print edition, but post on the online edition.

Icer - Many, many congratulations! The first ultrasound was when it really hit home that I was pregnant. It was the moment I fell in love with my baby. I loved her in the weeks before that, but that was when I fell in love with her. That love has never abated. May the Mum have a happy, safe and uneventful pregnancy, labor and delivery. What a joy! Babies are magic, and they smell nice.

Well, I'm offline for a week. Have been f'ing off, and need to catch up on work and housework. Today the Salvation Army gets 20 pairs of shoes and booties that I've never wear, never will wear, and are very stylish. I'm just too old and too tired to wear 5" heels on a regular basis.

Have a great week, everybody.