October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2011

We had an eventful night, or I should say I did.  Two hours after going to bed, what did I hear?  Mew  mew  mew - when I hear that closed mouth mew I know she's got something in her mouth.  She was sitting right by the side of my bed with it - not a mouse this time but a shrew.  Of course as soon as I jumped out of bed and put the light on, she dropped it.  It wasn't harmed much, because it was the fastest darn thing.  I moved my bed pillows and blanket out to the l.r. couch, and then by Gawd, she had it in her mouth again, sitting by the side of the couch!  Tried going back into my bed and barracading the door, but you know, Amber, how annoying a cat can be when you try to close them out of a room and they want to get in!  Finally gave up and came into this room where she's constantly sleeping on/under the covers - stripped the bed down to the mattress and put on all new bedsheeting, and went to bed in here with the door latched.  In the middle of the night I did give in to her clawing the door and let her in (nothing in  her mouth) and then closed the door tight.

Now this morning she's trying to come to her usual napping spot on the bed, and I won't let her, she sheds so.  I've tried different times putting a sheet over the made up bed to keep the hairs off, but she works until she gets in under that, and in under the covers.  She's quite upset with me this morning, and I'm doubly upset with her, because no sign of the shrew and she's completely blanked out the whole evening - shrew?  what shrew?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

You must be exhausted tt.  Do you think she got hold of it in the cellar?  Hopefully it got away and is gone.

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Because of the cinder blocks that our cellar is built with, it's very easy for mice, shrews, snakes to get in along the top of them.  G.T. proclaimed, "Now that you've had the cellar completely cleared out, you won't have that problem anymore, because there's no place for them to hide" - right, G.T.  Cheerio sits on the cellar stairs lots of nights, and I'm sure she sees something along the top of the cider blocks.  Last night's uninvited guest was a shrew.  She's quite the hunter, but not a killer, and I think she has a very short attention span.  Unless something is moving right in front of her, she loses interest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

My cats only go after grassy looking plants like palms, dracaenas, spider plants (chlorophytums) and asparagus ferns. I have lots of Ficus, a Pothos and a Clivia (Kaffir Lily) but they leave them all alone. If you buy a small container of wheat grass, the cat will eat it and probably not even notice the aloe. Some plants, like Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane, are dangerous. They come from a huge family (the Arum family) which includes philodendrons, caladiums, calla lilies, spathiphyllums (peace lilies), pothos, nepthytis and chinese evergreens (aglonoemas). All these have a small amount of the same toxin, but the cat would have to eat tons of any of them to do any harm. Each year you will hear a warning about Poinsettias, too, but I think more recent articles I have read suggest that the sap is irritating to eyes and mouth, but not all that toxic. If you buy or receive cut flowers, you may want to be selective about what you buy or where you display the flowers you are given. . .     Winter:   this is part of a post copied from the forum I mentioned on Friday.    PS:http://www.peteducation.com/article_print.cfm?c=1+1411&aid=1552

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everyone. Um- stupid question- What is a shrew?bg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It looks like a mouse only has a pointed snout.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, my goodness, the excitement of having a nocturnal pet!  I count my blessings that Gracie snores away all night long.  The colder it gets the more they'll want to be in the house no matter how clean it is.  It's that time of year - they are smart little critters, although, I guess not that smart to pick a home with a CAT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Field mice come with buying a house in the burbs - always had mice coming in, and as long as I don't see any signs of them in my cabinets, I can live peacefully with the idea of them being in the cellar.  Then too, I'm sure the birdfeeder and it being so close to the house, seems like an open invitation to them - "Oh look, honey, there's an eatery right outside our back door!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, interesting dinner thrown in the crockpot, we'll see how it turns out.  Thawed out a meaty large chicken breast and sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces that I browned in a frypan.  In the crockpot I layered diaganolly sliced carrots, celery, onion, and a large potato.  Put the chicken on top, and then mixed a serving size can of tomato juice and the last of the pino gricio and poured it over.  Have it on high for 4 hours, probably, maybe 5.  Actually I hadn't planned that, had taken out a pkg. with a few dried apricots in it and had planned to do the wine/chicken/apricot, but steered in the other direction.  The house will smell good anyway while it's cooking.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I think your crockpot ingredients sound delectable.  Pinot Grigio is particularly suited for cooking with chicken imo.  Do you ever fish everything out at the end and add a rue to thicken the sauce into a gravy?  This is what we do:  Cook 1/4 c flour, 1/4 c butter in small sauce pan 5 minutes (stir constantly), add to crockpot, mix thoroughly, cook another 30 minutes on high while chicken and other stuff rest in covered, pre-heated bowl.  If it cools too much while the gravy thickens, you can put it all back into the gravy to warm up, again before serving.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, you are a better woman than I.  If I saw a shrew I'd be out of the house.  I live in the burbs and haven't seen a sign of mice yet.  We do have the groundhogs in the backl yard though.  tt, he hasn't bothered with the plant yet, because it's in our office and I've had the door closed off to him so far.

Doglady thanks for the link, but I don't know what the plant is called. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]Oh, please, I don't want to look at that -
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

It's gone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

It looks like it might be a philodendron, or in that family.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have mice in the red shed you've seen in the right of our backyard shots (the one DH built a couple of years ago).  Every single time he mows the lawn he has to pull out a mouse nest from the engine block - they use all the cut grass to make a nice, cozy home in the still-warm engine after he mows.  EW!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I looked in a plant book I have and found this pic which looks pretty close to what you posted:

It says it's a hypoestes, also called, pink polka dot or freckle face.  (The Iresine -- - - - - refers to the red plant above it).  Hope that's helpful.  I have seen the plant shown.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]tt, you are a better woman than I.  If I saw a shrew I'd be out of the house.  I live in the burbs and haven't seen a sign of mice yet.  We do have the groundhogs in the backl yard though.  tt, he hasn't bothered with the plant yet, because it's in our office and I've had the door closed off to him so far. Doglady thanks for the link, but I don't know what the plant is called. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Winter, what I saw was not like that humungous picture.  It was a tiny maybe 3" skinny thing.  I was going to post a pic from my animal identification book for you, but even in that they take such a closeup of these things that looking at the pic you'd think you were battling a well-fed city rat!  I have grown up seeing these things, even when the boys were small and found a baby one and brought it in, we had it in a shoe box, nursing it with an eye dropper - until we found out what it was!

Kargiver, thanks for taking that down.  I'd of had to wait til we got to the next page to post again.  I've never seen any signs of nestings, or droppings, even when having the stuff cleared out of the cellar.  They simply come in and seem to stay around the tops of the cinder blocks.  Cheerio has her ways of getting up there, jumping to the top of the oil tank, or from the washer to the pipe, and up to the top of the blocks -  pretty agile for an old girl who has a "lot of loose flesh"!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt,that's the plant.  Thank you.  DH found poison in the basement and cleaned it up, but I haven't seen any sign of anything up here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was curious myself so googled and came to this website which says it is on the list of safe plants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What's jn?

ETA:  Oh, I think you meant "in"  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

LOL.  Yes I meant in.  I fixed it.  Thanks for checking tt.  I do have an ivy and I can't bear to send it away, so I'll have to watch Yoda arounf it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, don't usually thicken up the sauce at the end, but thanks, will give it a try this time if there's enough to do anything with.

House will soon have another smell now, making the chocolate pudding cake.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You may luck out and he may be like mine and not be interested in any plants.  I wonder sometimes if it's because they have never been outdoor cats, and so aren't lured by the idea of lucious greenery to chew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Well so much for going back on my diet.  I've already eaten the leftovers from last night (that was supposed to be my supper) and when I was out walking today, I stopped at DD and had a pumpkin donut with a hot chocolate.  I love those donuts.  My all time favorite donut was the apple cider ones made at the apple orchard on the road out of Crane Beach in Ipswich.  You could get them warm and we always stopped there.  I could eat a half dozen!

I can't keep plants in the house.  If I have cut flowers or hyacinths in the spring, I have to put them on top of my hutch and move all the chairs away. My cats chew on any kind of plant or cut flowers.  Luckily they leave my Christmas tree alone.

tt, your dinner sounds delish.  And then there's the chocolate pudding cake - yum.

mothermitzi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Chocolate pudding cake didn't make it to supper - so good.  Like this recipe much better than the one I used for years.  Very rich.  Watching The Secret Life of Bees on TV - such a good movie.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can also pour the liquid into the sauce pan and make the gravy by simmering on the stove, tt, if you want.  It's quicker that way so all your crockpot stuff stays hot.  

mm, I usually eat dinner out leftovers for breakfast the next morning (no matter how un-breakfasty it is).  You did well if it lasted 'til lunch.  I wish we lived closer to Crane Beach - I'd love to take Gracie.  2 hours is a long way...

I'm kind of migraine-y today, not sure why...