October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2011

tt, Lily sounds like a bundle of fire and laughter - I missed the story that mm quoted so I'm glad she commented on it.  Pumpkin whoopie pies sound delicious and extra moist.  I'd use your recipe for the filling; it's how I like it.  There are less smooth versions out there as well as fillings that resemble whipped cream, and those aren't worth eating imo.  Glad you had a yellow cake on hand to take care of your craving, but I could have lived without your having passed that craving to me, lol. ;)

Pingo, interesting sounding apple dessert.  Would you post the recipe in Chatters?  DH loves apples and it sounds pretty low in sugar.

mm, hope the warm milk did the trick - up at quarter to 1 would be bad for me, too.  Migraine, anyone?  I was up at 4 to take care of Gracie's emergency, but thankfully, I went right back to sleep.

rdg, bless you for giving to the SA.  I know someone who is "way up" in that organization, in fact, he was recognized at the White House (with others) for heading up the SA's response to 9/11 at Ground Zero - my goodness, the stories he has from those 3 weeks.  We reconnected after many years when I happened upon a photo of him down there on the web.  Anyway, I was never young or energetic enough to wear 5" heels, but in my experience, those are not cheap shoes and will be appreciated and loved by their recipients.

I'm embarrassed to say that I never did get up to the attick and to the job of decorating for Fall over the weekend.  But, DH and I had a wonderful time together.  Hate that Monday is here, stealing him away.

Pingo, I hear you about not wanting to start a fire in the fire place, but take heart, we find that the fireplace makes the house colder becaues of the draft it requires - it pulls in tons of cold air!  It's warmer directly in front of it, of course, but the whole house temp drops.  So, you really are better off with an extra fleece even aside from the cleanup issue (which I related to, as well).  We don't run the fireplace if the wood stove isn't going, and then just for ambiance when we have company, not for extra warmth.

Gracie is napping, and I have 'til 11 to do errands while she is OK inside alone.  So, I better get going.  Have a bunch to do "out there."

Until later, friends,
    ~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Had a lovely weekend with our son. The guys watched football yesterday afternoon together, just like the old days. After a nice dinner at the Beacon Grill in Woburn, we dropped him off at his hotel. Will be back here Friday.
    Nice to see your post RDG. Did you ever move? I don't know, where you live, but there is an iParty on Rt. 1 North - almost across from Hilltop. And a little further up will be the new Paper Store.
    mm, nice you could help your friend, who had a knee replacement. Several of our friends have been going through that lately. One of them even had both knees done at the same time. Too bad you are having such trouble sleeping. I am not doing too well myself in that department these days. I know, a glass of warm milk would help. But I just can't get that stuff down. I am not a milk drinker - have never been.
    Have to go to my office today. There is probably a huge pile waiting for me - since I have been slacking off since Thursday.
    You all have a nice day - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Cute story tt.  I don't usually make cookies for Halloween, but now I'm thinking it might be  a nice project for my GD's when they next visit.  We rolled out sugar cookies last Christmas.  I do hope they remember all of this"

I know.  You think you are building memories and sometimes you are, sometimes you aren't.  I asked my 11 yr. old grandson the other day if he remembered when I'd babysit and sit on his bed with him and read and read stories.  "no."  Here I thought I was building nice fuzzy memories.  But, on the other hand, GD remembers week-ends over and playing dress up and pancake breakfasts.  She may have been a year or so older.  You don't know what gets tucked away in a corner of their mind.  You'll have nice memories (and pics too) of the GDs and little neighbor making Halloween cookies, and when the girls are older, they'll love looking back at those pics.  When Lilly was here Sat I wrapped a Halloween apron around her that I had bought for another grandson who is now 19.  I told her I have a pic of him standing on a kitchen chair, pink fuzzy bunny slippers, the same apron on and completely covered with flour, and cookie dough and cutters he was working with!  Deciding just when to whip that picture out!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, they might not have specific memories of when they were little with you, but those times are imprinted on their very beings.  Their souls remember even if their brains do not, and it helped build the love and trust you enjoy today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Raining!  Drat.  Have an appt. the latter part of the morning, and was sitting here sipping my coffee mapping out the other stops I would make after that.  If it's still raining, I know me, I'll head right for home afterwards.  Darn it all.

Thanks, Kargiver, I suppose it has helped give them early on a sense of being loved.  Perhaps when their own children come along the urge to create the same memories with them will emerge and will spark their memory.

OMG - it's not just raining - it's pouring.  Was going to try to try to sneak out for a quick haircut, scratch that idea.

ETA:  Have you girls scooted over to the fall decoration thread and seen the pics Icer posted?  Fabulous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What kind of relationship would you have had today if you'd only started "making memories" when they were old enough to remember everything concretely?  Even if they never remember those specifics, the love you built from the day they were born is part of who they are and the relationship you have.  They'll do the same with their kids because they learned how to show love from you.  Maybe it will trigger memories, maybe not, but the imprint and impact you had on their lives forever for having done it is there regardless.  I have broken pieces of memories of very early times with my grandmother, but it's very dream like and fragmented.  I enjoyed hearing the stories of my earliest times with her and seeing the love in her eyes when she relived it in her mind so I have vicarious early memories that are just as special to me as my own.

OK, off I go for real this time - Gracie can only be comfy in here for so long, and my cuppa is gone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I've caught up now and everyone seems to have had a lovely weekend.  Congratulations on the future grand child Icer.  tt, I love the plate of cookies and your cake sounds so good!  Pingo, glad you had a lovely weekend with your son.  How is Beacon Grille?  We've been thinking about going but now sure how it is.  We had a lovely dinner at Bacci's in Stoneham on Saturday night.  It's very good, much better then Gaetano's right up the street.  I will be posting a Fall picture in just a few minutes.  It's the only decoration we currently had, my son picked it out.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning everyone,

The weather got a little crazy.  Happy I was in work when it hit.  Watching the news this morning, they said nothing about it, so didn't bring an umbrella.  Would love to have a job that I get paid no matter if I mess up : )  Icer, congrats on being a grandmother!  I truly cannot wait for that.  tt, you as always, make me hungry.  I posted some new pictures of Amber and the boys. Nothing exciting but at least new.  I hope everyone has a great day!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I saw those and commented on them in that thread, but those cats of yours are characters!  Amber is a little sweetie.  Such soulful eyes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

thanks tt : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Now that Halloween is approaching Volkswagon has resurfaced the Dark Vater ad with the little boy dressed in costume trying to zap on the washer/dryer, a doll, with no results.  Finally his father's car pulls in the driveway - do you remember that from last year's football season?  I love that.  The little kid stands in front of the car and points his hands at it and the father is watching from the inside the kitchen window and "clicks" so the lights blink.  Love, love, love that ad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, as a Star Wars Fan I LOVE LOVE the Darth Vadar commercial.  My son dressed up as him for Halloween in first grade I believe, so I think of him when I see that commercial.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I LOVE that commercial too! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

add another one to love that commercial

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I run into the room when I hear the music start playing!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Me, too!  One of the best commercials ever made.  I never admitted it at the time because I didn't want to be judged for liking the evil character the best, but Darth Vader was my favorite.  I was about that kid's age when it came out in '77.  

Got back with groceries and having returned a bunch of bottles.  Now, to the center of town with Gracie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]I run into the room when I hear the music start playing!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I know a 2 year that does that same thing....too funny

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had a call from sister of friend who was served with divorce papers.  What a mess.  After that call I had to lay down and take a nap.  Got up with the starts of a sore throat.  Wish I had make one more extra trip today and picked up some Coldeze.  If one of you go to a CVS or KMart, pick me up some, will you?  Putting on some chicken, carrots and celery to cook for a soup for supper.  Still have no onion.  Don't know what it is, I totally block out onion every time I go to the store.  I sick. (cough, cough)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, your quilt (pictured in Pets) is just gorgeous - you do beautiful work.

tt, sorry you're coming down with a cold AND got drained by the "mess."  Got your message after coming home from my errands, sorry.  Hope you get your ColdEze while it can do the most good.

Took Gracie to the center of town.  We always see people we know and have a good time up there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Soup is on, chopped up a quarter of head of cabbage and threw that in too.  Tylenol is making me feel a little better.

Icer, I was going to remark on the comforter (what I thought it was) and how you love morning glories - how lucky you were to find one in that pattern - then I read you made it.  Clever girl.  It's beautiful.

(cough, cough)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We like it at Beacon Grille. It is on the expensive side (similar to Legal's prices), but what is not these days.  I think that is why it got a few bad reviews. Have only been there once before, and our meal then was perfect and the service outstanding. No complaints there. Yesterday, it was on our way to Boston and our poor seafood starved son was craving oysters. They had some great ones the last time we went there, and we were not disappointed this time either.
    We have never been to Bacci's. Will have to try that one. We used to go for lunch all the time at Gaetano's, but we feel it has gone down in quality and service. Have you ever been to Molise - right on Main Street in Wakefield? Near the Square going towards Melrose. That is another nice Italian restaurant. Whenever we go, I feel like being back in Rome. - Pingo

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]Good morning everyone.  I've caught up now and everyone seems to have had a lovely weekend.  Congratulations on the future grand child Icer.  tt, I love the plate of cookies and your cake sounds so good!  Pingo, glad you had a lovely weekend with your son.  How is Beacon Grille?  We've been thinking about going but now sure how it is.  We had a lovely dinner at Bacci's in Stoneham on Saturday night.  It's very good, much better then Gaetano's right up the street.  I will be posting a Fall picture in just a few minutes.  It's the only decoration we currently had, my son picked it out.  :)
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

hi winter -

Funny you should mention Bacci's.  The friend I visited yesterday recommended it to me.  I have been to the other place you mention.  It is where Barbo's used to be.  At that time (five years ago) it wasn't bad. If you've lived in the area long enough you will remember Barbo's.  I may be dating myself though.  It's been gone a long time now.  Do you ever go to the Stoneham Theatre?  They have some good shows there.

tt, sorry about your sore throat.  Take care of it.  I'm going to the doctor on Thursday and I've asked to get my flu shot at the same time.  We have so many people (mostly students) coming in and out of here that I get one every year.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sorry to hear you are coming down with a cold. Home made chicken soup is the best thing for it and then a good swig of brandy and early to bed, and you will be as good as new tomorrow.
    I don't think, I could live w/o onions in the house. Seems I add them to almost everything. They are so healthy. If you do get out tomorrow and buy some, make sure you make Kar's onion syrup. It is a wonderful cough medicine.
    - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All this talk about food, know you guys must be getting a little hungry.  To tide you over til supper -

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, even more yummy than I'd imagined, thanks!  Did I leave enough for everyone else?

Sections
Shortcuts