October 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2011

Laughed reading your post about couple going out to eat and LEAVING the baby with someone -- Ha Ha!  She is a new, first time mother, and from what I hear hardly puts that baby down!  It's the newness of it all, and will wear off eventually, but right now she is all things to that baby.  I remember with my first baby, my mother was with me and I wouldn't let her take care of the baby at all - she could do all the grunt work of getting meals, doing the wash, keeping house, but that baby was MINE, all mine!  Let me tell you, by the time the 3rd had come along, that philosophy had changed!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

yeah, tt  - you made me laugh at myself. When your first baby get over 30 years old - you forget those first few months. My mom was here too, and I do remember her cleaning and cooking (bless her), even going grocery shopping w/ DH - and me sitting home, watching each and every breath that baby took. Lots of baby caring has changed since we were new mothers, but I guess the mom/baby bonding will never go out of style. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Yoda was a very  good kitty at the Vet.  She did say that he has lost some weight according to the papers I have and she wants us to put food in a couple of spots for now and she will check him out again in 4 weeks. I'll do some laundry until my son' s soccer game at noon.  It's a nice day out, so Kar and everyone else should have a great day out and about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Well we know Kar will give us a complete report when all the kalooping is done...I'm looking forward to it

Pingo..no need to blush...
    I have a pretty busy day ahead..Saturdays are always kind of hectic...but..in a good way

On the baby stuff..I saw at the supermarket.."pure" water for babies...I guess I need to go out of CC and visit some of those baby boards...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Icer, the thing about the water..some people now don't want to give their babies tap water, but what they don't realize is that spring water doesn't have flouride which is good for teeth, so companies can market baby water. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And Winter and Icer - don't you know, that that "special" water often comes form the same taps as our tap water. It is just put in a nice package. Marketing, marketing, marketing - and money out of your pocket. - P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to hear Yoda got a good report at vet's.  Maybe at the foster home he was at, he couldn't get at his share of food.  Now that you've seen him eating at your home, I'll bet he picks that weight back up this next month.  I would give him little treats too, like when he asked for tuna - hope you talked back to him and said, "What?  You want tuna? Hmmmm?  Do you?"  And after he ate it, "Was that good?  Hmmmm?  Was it?"  That's how you'll get him talking more and more to you.  If it sounds nuts to anyone, we've (boys included) always been a family of talkers to animals.

ETA:  And, if you look at them and slow blink once or twice, they'll blink back at you - sort of their smile and that they know you're not a threat to them.

Oh, P.P.S.:  Guess what I found down cellar this morning, by the stairs - yup, the dead shrew.  Gave him an empty litter liner box as a coffin, then into the trash he went.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, how is your DIL (can I say that, your "son's girlfriend" seems too detached) doing? Is she feeling fine. Counting on my fingers, I figured it will be a March or April baby. Just a wonderful time of the year. Not too hot a time of the year to be expecting and no too cold a time of the year for the new baby. I had an April baby and a September baby, so I know how much difference that makes. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver and Pingo, just picking up things I had torn out of mags, etc., and one is a recipe from the November issue of Family Circle called Root Vegetable Gratin. Think both of you might like it, if not in its entirety, at least as something you could tweak here and there.  Next time you're in a supermarket, give it a look/see, page 144.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Have you seen what they charge for fresh Cranberries this year? $4.99/lbs. They were $1.99 last year.
    ----

That's insane. (I believe you, but it's insane.) There was just an article in the paper (this one? the NYT?) about how wonderful the cranberry harvest was this year. With all those cranberries, the price should be going down, not up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Than you, tt! Just down my alley. Saw it featured on the mag while browsing the airport news stands. Will definitely take a deeper look at it, now that you recommended it.
    You know, I used to subscribe to both Family Circle and Woman's Day - just for their recipes, but I found they were repeating not only each other, but also themselves. So now I browse, and if I  find something interesting I will jot it down over a cup of cappuccino at B &N. If too involved, I will buy the mag.
    Thanks again - Pingo

In Response to Re: October 2011:
    [QUOTE]Kargiver and Pingo, just picking up things I had torn out of mags, etc., and one is a recipe from the November issue of Family Circle called Root Vegetable Gratin. Think both of you might like it, if not in its entirety, at least as something you could tweak here and there.  Next time you're in a supermarket, give it a look/see, page 144.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have you been out doing your errands yet, Pingo?  I'm curious if that new Paper Store is open?

I get subscriptions to both Family Circle and Women's Day as a Christmas present. I, too, thumb threw mainly for the recipes.  Sometimes one or the other will have a nice garden feature too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, how did your son do on his basketball book project?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back home. Found a nice large pot at Job Lot for a large plant, I want to repot. That will be tomorrow's project. I browsed at Marchall's. Wanted to get myself some tops, but there was nothing there I would want to wear. I did find a very cute top for one of our friend's GD, who had a BD coming up. A $29 top, I got for $7 - and it is the brand name (dollie and me - or something like that) she likes to wear.
    Then I did something really sinful. After all that talk about Cranes Beech, Ipswich and the Clam Box - I had a terrible craving for fried clams. So I stopped at Kelly's and had a small box of fried clams and onion rings. I know, it is terrible, but they were so so good - and I just got my blood work report this week and everything is within normal, so I don't think I did too much damage. I don't want to tell you what I paid for them; I would have been better off with a lobster roll, but that would not have satisfied my cravings for clams. Of course there was much too much for me to eat in one setting, so I have plenty for lunch for tmw.
    Then went to the pet store to pick up a replacement light for our office fish tank. Watch some of the cute dogs, there were there being trained and groomed. Picked up a few things at TJ's next door. But I had forgotten, how bad Rt. 1 is on a Saturday afternoon, so I skipped the Paper Store. Didn't want to try to get out on Rt. 1 a second time. Even turning off at Walnut Street, there was a line of at least 8 - 10 cars long. But tt, the store IS open.
    Made myself a nice cup of tea and I am ready to pick up my book again. How was everyone else's day? - Pingo

ETA. Darn it! I forgot about the Family Circle --- tomorrow is another day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Hi Pingo,
    I left you a note in Restaurants!
    chazz :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks for the clarification about the "Pure" water...We do not put floride in our water here but I think the children are given tablets...This way those who don't want it don't have to have it...but thanks for thinking of the flouride and water connection.

She's due May 10th..I am going to enlist the help of a neighbor at that time...She's just a few doors down, so it will be easy all around.

The kids are coming over today for our traditional Pizza and Pumkins..This will probably be our last carving year for a while...next year we will be painting our pumpkins...How exciting...ttys

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks chazz. I responded to you over there. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi Pingo, I left you a note in Restaurants! chazz :)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

May? What a lovely time of the the year. Glad you have a neighbor you can count on for help. I am sure, you  will be busy making a ton of cupcakes celebrating the little one.
    Funny about the fluoride. Didn't know, there are some towns that don't put fluoride in their water supply.
    Happy pizza/pumpkin carving day. Icer, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate today. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Thanks for the clarification about the "Pure" water...We do not put floride in our water here but I think the children are given tablets...This way those who don't want it don't have to have it...but thanks for thinking of the flouride and water connection. She's due May 10th..I am going to enlist the help of a neighbor at that time...She's just a few doors down, so it will be easy all around. The kids are coming over today for our traditional Pizza and Pumkins..This will probably be our last carving year for a while...next year we will be painting our pumpkins...How exciting...ttys
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

That's great about Yoda's report, Winter - I'm sure he lost weight while he wasn't eating, but I can only imagine the trend is already reversing.  He'll be in tip top shape at the next visit. :)

tt, thanks for the recipe alert - I'll check it out today. 

Our day was phenomenal!!  We covered all of Newbury and spent a stellar hour and a half at the Top of the Hub, SIL's first time seeing the city from that perspective.  I was worried about the mediocre food reviews, but we had a fabulous meal and decent service.  Visibility was great, too, and we could see the Head of the Charles Regatta boats, although, they didn't seem to be going anywhere fast, just floating around.  Maybe the race was later.  I've got a couple of photos I can doctor and post, but not yet...

I was up all night with a UTI.  I felt some tell-tale symptoms yesterday, but wasn't 100% sure (was in denial, I guess).  Now, I am positive of the problem, and am going to Urgent Care for a scrip pronto.  What the heck, I do everything you're supposed to do in that regard...??  So aggrevating!  Will stop at Trader Joe's for some pure (yuck) cranberry juice. It's 5 minutes from the doc's. 

DH is out with Gracie.  No hunting on Sunday, but she sported her vest yesterday, and it stayed on nice and snug.

What will we do for lunch?  I won't be here...maybe I'll stop for something all made on the way home.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, glad you had such a good day yesterday. Love the top of the hub.  Any treasures?  

Glad to hear the Paper Store is open, Pingo.  I'll be sure to stop in there some time this next week.  Got a flyer in the Globe today about the Home Goods opening today over at Vinnan Square.  My friend who lives right behind there has been waiting for that.  Unfortunately, she's in Fla right now, but I know as soon as she gets back that's where she'll be heading.  Your lunch at Kelly's sounds good to me. Filled the bill without having to drive to Ipswich.  

You've got a great day for your pizza/pumpkins, Icer.  Yes, next year will be the start of a whole new bunch of traditions.  What fun for you, and the baby.

Speaking of babies, friend called last night to tell of visiting her great grandson who was born this past week.  Still haven't seen mine, but I'm working on it, trying to get rid of this cold.  It's a drag-on.

Went through the paper already - not much in it today, and only 2 coupons that I could use.

Wanted to mention that SS is having a terrible time trying to get logged in to post.  I've passed along what info I could that might help, but suggested her dau (younger ones are always smarter on these internet problems) try for her.  I know she wanted to pass along condolences to both bg's dau on the loss of her grandmother, and to Icer, on the loss of Baby.  Hopefully today she'll find a way to rejoin our group.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    The house is cold this morning. Haven't put on the heat yet, but today I may for a few hours during the evening. The sun is out though, so in an hour or so, it will be toasty warm here.
    Kar, what a great day you had w/ your SIL. Glad to hear your day was "phenomenal". Did you pick up anything exciting? TOTH, is one of my favorite places - or I should say used to be. The view is spectacular. Just too bad they have gone downhill so badly. We now take clients for apps and a drink to show them our beautiful Boston - then go somewhere else for dinner. Glad your lunch was good. Maybe they have listened to the customers complaints.
    DH took me there, when I was just new to Boston. I was wearing a coat with a fur collar, and they did not want to check it in??? LOL - I remember that so vividly even though it must be 45 years ago.
    So sorry you have UTI problems again. I used to have them all the time and it is certainly no fun. You know, I kicked it by drinking Cranberry Juice twice every day. Not the awfully unsweetened stuff TJ's sells, but just the normal Cranberry Juice one can pick up at the grocery store. TJ's will get you a good start, but then switch over to a more palatable juice. And make sure you drink it twice every day - like forever.
    tt, so sorry you are dragging with this cold of yours. It has been too long now. Should you see your doc? Maybe some antibiotic is in order. Will take a look at Family Circle today. That gratin is calling me. Maybe I should tie a ribbon on my finger. Senior moments, they call it. LOL
    I have a few things on my plate today. Have to repot a large plant. I am concerned a bit, b/c it is large. But I want to do it, while I have the time. Then I am cleaning out my PB son's freezer, he turned into refrigerator. He used it for his beer brewing, but now don't need any longer. He want's to sell it. Anyone need a nice Chest Freezer? It is as good as new. Will try Craig's List.
    You all have a fabulous day, whatever you have planed. Blessings - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, we spent an exhorbitant amount of money on lunch, I spent 1/2 tank of gas plus tolls, and $8 for parking (a coupon bargain, but still).  So, I held back on take home treasures besides awesome memories.  However, I did pick up a Starbucks "Boston" mug - they have a new design every year, and I particularly liked this one with the olive green inside and an artist's rendition of the statue of Paul Revere in the Public Garden on the outside.  I have one from a long time ago, same size and shape, with the Boston skyline.  Guess I've started a collection.  I'll remember our trip by it, too.

Pingo, I was VERY nervous about how the food would be at TOTH, but it was better than the reviews I'd read and what I remember from many years ago.  I hope it wasn't a fluke and that they have listened to the "overpriced and not that great" reviews.  

ETA:  Oceanspray cranberry juice drink keeps UTIs at bay?  Good to know.  I picked up 4 bottles of nasty pure stuff before I saw the doc...had just enough time.

I'm in the green sweater and red scarf.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I moved Yoda's food dish away from his litter box and he is eating much better.  :)  Kar, sounds like you had a wonderful time.  I love Top of the Hub.  I've only been once but I was proposed to there.  :) tt, what are you having for dinner?  I'm going to have Pingo's noodle casserole and tomorrow your meat loaf.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter.  Good thinking moving his food dish.  I'm having a casserole of sorts of leftover rice, peas, grilled chicken, topped with melted Mexican blend of shredded cheese.  Tomorrow will have to grocery shopping day for me.  Have a lot of meat in the freezer, but am hankering for fish.  S&S had haddock, I believe, on sale this week, and I'd like a piece of salmon.  If I don't get the salmon soon, I'll end up going back to Legal Seafood and getting their salmon dinner that was delicious.

Your son's project?  How did he make out on that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice photo, Kargiver.  It was a beautiful clear day for you, great shot behind you.
    You're right, in that it doesn't always need a "found treasure" to be a fun shopping day.