October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2012

This is not a small one or two man company. They have been in business for years, and are very above board.  More expensive perhaps, but as my boys say, they have a good reputation, you know they do quality work, are dependable, and if there is a problem they will be there to fix it.  I feel comfortable going with him since all 4 sons gave me the same advice.

As to the organic food, I have read the same articles and arguments pro and con, as you.  It certainly can't be any worse for us than the pesticide sprayed food, and we are lucky in this part of the country to have many local farms who are trustworthy when they take that pledge.  As you say, she is doing all she can with knowledge she has, to give this baby the best start.  Home made applesauce is home made applesauce, and I'm sure hers is every bit as good as mine - maybe not pink, (lol) but good nevertheless!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Pingo - I was just going to recommend to TT to offer cash.  I'm sure he'll offer a discount.

I also agree with you on the organic food. . you must be reading my mind today!!!

PS  My MIL said she was going to call Peter today (for a non-prescription related question, lol).  I wanted to tell her to say "Pingo & TT said hi!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, things will change, I'm sure, as he gets older.  I would do the same as she is, actually.

the backlash against organic food, I think, is due to the mistaken touting of it as more nutritional. Never has been, never will be.  It's simply meant to be free of chemical pesticide, resins, etc that I  know I'd rather not eat myself.  So, the argument that "it's nutritionally the same so why bother?" never held any water with me.  It's cleaner, metabolically speaking, from what I understand, anyway.

pumpkin bread in the oven, and the eggplant spread is in the fridge.  Got to get the spinach ready to sauté.  Although, not much to that since dh washed it already.  Oh, and have to steam the beets he washed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Meant to cook up some of the spinach tonight with my supper (potato with all the fixings, and it was good), and forgot it.  Glad you mentioned it, will pull it out to the front of fridge so I 1) can use some of it in my salad tomorrow noon, and 2) remember to cook the rest up in the next couple of days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, I think If I were starting over with a child it would be organic milk at least And whole milk too.  It protects against asthsma.  There are lists out there of things where oganic makes a big difference, as in apples, and some where it does not.  I would at least look at those lists. Well, if I ever have a grandchild....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Kar >>I meant to tell you that I planned on toasting our pumpkin seeds this year...as i was inspired by you doing such....I already toasted the seeds from the speghetti squash..they were so yummy..they are gone already

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, hats, apples are on the "dirty dozen" things to avoid due to very heavy pesticide use.  Not sure if coffee is on that list, but my aunt says it's horrible in that regard so I buy organic from trader joes, not very expensive.

your potato sounds delectable, tt.  I often have things I meant to cook for dinner for "dessert," lol.

I was prepping the spinach when dh called to let me know they went out for dinner after the golf tournament and that he's taking the day off tomorrow, yay!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I'm not thinking "spinach" right now - scooping out the last of the caramel delight ice cream, drizzling chocolate sauce over it, and maybe a dab of whipped cream on top.  Watching Real Housewives of NYC reunion rerun, and will slowly enjoy every spoonful of the sundae.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, sorry, missed your post - that is marvelous!  Thanks for letting me know, it makes me happy.  I just washed the seeds from the pumpkin I roasted today; they'll dry overnight then into the oven they'll go.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, move over, spinach!  ENJOY your treat and tv, tt!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Icer, enjoy the beets!  We have a lot, but I'm assuming dh will rip them all up soon.  Beets are my favorite thing in the garden.  I steam them whole, unpeeled.  Takes about an hour.  Then, I rub the skins right off between two paper towels.  Learned this from my aunt after always having peeled and cut them up to cook...love it!

And I only correct Pingo since she insists she wants me to.  Otherwise, I notice but don't hold mistakes against anyone - this is hardly an area where perfect attention to grammar counts for anything.

[/QUOTE]

That's funny about removing the beet skins. My grandmother taught me the same way..and I just showed my nephew's wife this trick a couple of weekends ago. The poor thing was peeling them raw. I don't have that kind of patience in the kitchen. I love beets..thankfully hubby loves them more than I do since I've gotten tons of them in my CSA box. My son generally never cared for them..but I found a recipe for honeyed beets that my son really likes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't believe I peeled them raw all these years, too!  Honeyed beets?  I'd love to know how to make those, miscricket - have you seen the recipe section for cc?  Hint, hint...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My mother always speared the cooked beet on a fork, held it up in the air and peeled it with knife, skin between the knife and her thumb....so of course I do it that way too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't believe I peeled them raw all these years, too!  Honeyed beets?  I'd love to know how to make those, miscricket - have you seen the recipe section for cc?  Hint, hint...

[/QUOTE]

I haven't paid attention to it...but I will..and will post the recipe tonight :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Slept really late, just got up a few minutes ago.  Was dreaming of little bluebirds circling around a light in my room, and then one landing on me when I got up - must be a good sign, right?  Think I still have a dream book tucked on one of these shelves - will have to look it up.  Then of course, the other extreme part of the dream was that I went out through the cellarway, through wooden bulkhead doors, one of which fell off, stepped  barefoot into the snow, and someone had dumped a dozen or more yellow empty antifreeze containers in my backyard!  I think I'll blame the potato concoction I ate for supper for that one!

Peeling beets - my mother (and I), cook the beets by boiling, and then one by one hold them under running cold water and slip the skin right off with our fingers.

Winter, are the braces instead of the other procedure you were thinking he would have to have, or is that all part of it?

Have been getting iphone pics from G.T. - they've been up Mt. Washington - first pic of them at the top of Mt. Washington in the snow, 2nd in front of a blazing fireplace in the hotel, and the last of G.T. on one of those ziplines over the foliage canopy.  Glad they didn't plan to take me along for that one - even if they'd been able to push me off secured on the first zipline, I know I'd have been "uh uh, no more, not doing the rest of the 6 necessary to get back down the mountain"!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    And I only correct Pingo since she insists she wants me to. 
    All the "oldies" know this, but the newcomers may not. I am most appreciative. Thanks, Kar.

This is too funny re peeling the beets. My mother always steamed or roasted them. Then rubbed off the skins with her fingers. So that is what I am doing. I never imagine anyone actually peeling the raw beets with a peeler. What work. I love beets too. In fact this morning, I made a pineapple, beet, cranberry and cucumber juice. It was really, really good.
    Waiting for our guy to come to turns off the sprinklers, the outdoor water, bringing in the outdoor furniture and pruning some of our shrubs, that have grown much too large. In that order of importance. It is raining out, so i don't know how much he will get done. Yes, Fall has definitely showed it's face and I feel blessed, we have someone to do all this for us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---stepped  barefoot into the snow, and someone had dumped a dozen or more yellow empty antifreeze containers in my backyard---

is that an omen, tt - for the winter to come? Ugh! Funny DH was actually looking for antifreeze this morning, before he left.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"is that an omen, tt - for the winter to come? "

Never thought of that, Pingo - LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. tt, he doesn't need the palate expander as the doctor discovered (looking at the ex-rays) that he is too old for that procedure, they can just fix it with braces. 

It was chilly last night, but we are fighting putting the heat on so blankets on the couch will be it for now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My furnace is purring away as I write -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Does your son feel a sense of relief that he doesn't have to have the expander?  I would.  Better the braces than that, to me.

Oatmeal waits, then some pickup around here and washes.  I'll check in later.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning everyone....all this talk about beets reminds me of my old girlfriend (long gone now) but I think of her every time we eat beets, which I love btw, she used to make beet sandwiches, buttered bread and sliced beets, hot or cold, she didn't care. ss

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think so tt, he didn't want that other thing at all. Of course he doesn't want to wait until January and wants them sooner, but DH and his dad and I discussed it and we're going to wait until January. If all goes well they will be taking off mid September of his 8th grade. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

dh is home today and on a rainy walk with Gracie.  I've got the stove going so they can dry off and warm up when they get home.

I ate a whole steamed beet last night like an apple, and it was soooo good.  SS, they evoke memories for me, too, more than any other veggie...funny.

winter, good news about the expander.  That's nice, too, he'll get them off before high school.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mail just came and got a cute thank you from pumpkin, plus a pic from his first professional photographer - OMG, he's so beautiful.  She caught his expression perfectly, those big blue eyes - wish we had photo capability, I'm not above bragging, I'd post a pic right on the boards!