October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: October 2012

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Got an e-mail from a friend. Let's go out for dinner Sunday w/ friend and Alzheimer friend. Shot an e-mail back. Let's not go out, why don't you all come here, and I will make a simple dinner for us all.
    Got e-mail back from Alzheimer's wife, "Thanks for your offer, but we cannot accept your invitation. XX is spilling food all over the table and the floor, and I cannot let one of my friends deal with that".
    Returned e-mail, "I don't mind. A table cloth can go in the washer and a vac can take care of the floor - please do come".
    Final e-mail, "Will meet you at such and such restaurant at such and such time."
    I feel so sick in my heart. We had so much fun with these friends over 40 plus years. Now it has come to this. They can't even visit our home. What a burden to bear for our friend.
    I honestly wouldn't mnd if my home would be a mess after they left, but I have to respect my friend. I feel heart sick.

Pingo, I think I would be embarassed more in a restaurant at the mess my partner would make than I would in a friends house who would be prepared.  It would be upsetting any where...just my opinion....ss 

[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

64 is my limit, too.  I can stand it in the morning, but if it looks like it's not going to budge I light the fire.

pingo, the video is a must see; please let me know what you think when you get to it.

winter, I'd expect the recipe to work as bread, too.  I bake my quick breads in two regular sized loaf pans (filled half full) at 350 for an hour.  They aren't very high, but if I use one pan they brown too much on the outside while not getting totally done in the center.

I got two calls from the trips' parents, one from Dad on the way home from work and one from Mom after he'd gone upstairs with two of the kids.  Neither knew the other had called, lol, but they both said the same thing - that everything was delicious and they had a relaxed, fun time.  YAHOO, SUCCESS!

gorgeous day, but no car.  DH can find his car keys, and we finally had to give up and let him take mine.  So, will take Gracie for an extra long walk and make do with what we have for groceries.  No problem, actually, since I have a list of produce DH asked me to pick today:  kolhrabi, spinach, beets, carrots, and peppers.  And, there is leftover chicken/butternut soup we need to finish today.

So, a minute ago I was thinking about going out for breakfast...oops.  Oh, well.  I have eggs and bacon here, just feeling too lazy to bother.

Blessings,

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The cranberry applesauce muffins by MissAlix that comes up is not the same recipe for Mother's applesauce muffins.  I know it comes up when I hit on my review site too, but it's the ingredients that are not the same, not just the amounts.

Are you totally confused now, Winter?  If you like, I'll post the recipe I use at some point today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, I thought the same thing.  If I were in that situation, which I know I can't really imagine, I'd MUCH prefer to have a friend put down a drop cloth than go out to dinner and be subjected to the rude stares of strangers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

SS and Kar, that is exactly what I thought. And I should only whisper this actually, I was a bit peeved, she didn't take my offer. But we shall see come Sunday. Maybe it is much worse, than I imagine. She is a trooper though for joining us going out.
    6 months ago, he got confused while visiting the other friends, that are joining us. He needed to use the bathroom. I won't go into details, but is was a mess afterwards. I think, this is what his wife have in mind. So I do respect her wishes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd be kind of hurt, too.  What the heck, she doesn't trust you to be gracious and want to handle whatever comes your way in your home with his condition?  But, like you say, it's her situation, and her call - I'd respect it not holdit against her just like you are handling it.  HUGS!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, that video is awesome. I have forwarded it to our friend. And I will start to add coconut oil to our diet. Thanks for posting it. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Gorgeous day - just ran out for a bit of poking - wrong day to hit Marshall's, Thursday is their shelf stocking day, I'd forgotten.

Pingo, I wouldn't be hurt or peeved at your friend's decision.  We all have different comfort zones and her embarrassment at what might happen at a friend's home is no reflection on how she thinks you would handle it.  This is about her and her feelings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I agree with you tt. I was slightly hurt, but I decided her comfort zone was more important than mine. I would never hold it against her.
    Crossing my fingers, everything goes well Sunday, so we at least can go out together some other time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T.'s good deed -  I'm thinking ( and told him,) not many would have gone through all that.

"We were over a friend's on Sunday and out from the woods came a skunk with his head stuck in a plastic bottle. He was obviously not able to see where he was going.  I chased him through a couple of neighbors yards with a rake and managed to hold the bottle between the rake and the ground so that he could pull his head out.  Never sprayed, just walked away.  Since it was daytime, he must have had that stuck on his head for hours!

My good deed." 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

THANK YOU for watching, Pingo - you see why I was eager for you to do so.  Praying your friend gets the benefit the man on the video did.  The clock test results...omg.

i wasn't saying I should be hurt, just that I probably would be at least at first until I processed it and let it go.  

goodness, I wouldn't have dared help the skunk, God bless him for it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

ETA:  My point is that "experts" are not always right and we should do what seems right and makes sense to us. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

your point?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I so wish we could post private messages in bdc.  Why did they ever have to change the forums.  They worked fine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, are you alright?  You seem very defensive today.  I didn't mean any offense in my response to Pingo re reaction to her friend, and I don't think Hats meant any offense to you re her posting about changing views on oils we consume.  What's up?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, these are the ingredigents that I think are from the correct recipe. ·      

4 cups all-purpose flour

·         1 tbsp ground cinnamon

·         1 tbsp ground allspice

·         2 tsps baking soda

·         1 cup butter

·         2 cups sugar

·         2 eggs

·         2 cups applesauce

·         2 tbsps vanilla extract

·         1 cup raisins

If not can you let me know? I don't include the raisins. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm on edge waiting for arguments for posting a health link, I guess, and am peeved that bdc wrecked the private message feature.  Sorry I projected that frustration unfairly, and thanks for calling it out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter that will make 24 muffins or 2 loafs.

I halved it to make a dozen, plus added the topping.

You're on the right path, at least!  I'm thinking I may use some of my pink applesauce and made some up for the freezer.  Altho, when I buy the applesauce for these, I use unsweetened applesauce.  Mine doesn't have all that much sugar in it tho, just a few spoonfuls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The regular posters here won't be giving you an argument.  Forget about the information lady, hopefully she's got the message now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, hopefully...again, sorry for the unfair projection. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, hopefully...again, sorry for the unfair projection. 

[/QUOTE]

No problem.  You aren't usually defensive,  wasn't like you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for noticing and asking, tt, it means a lot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, maybe a migrane is comig up. Hope you nip it in the bud, if so. I trust your health advice very much. I feel we are speaking in the same lines. Forget about what Miss Google - or the information lady, as tt calls her- has to say. She may have a few valid points here and there, but the way she goes about it, make me not want to read her links.

ETA: Now, how do I cook with coconut oil? Can one substitute it Tbs. for Tbs. with other oils or shortenings?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, yeah, maybe I should up my water intake in the form of chamomile tea, lol. 

The oil sub depends on your taste.  I've used it 1:1 instead of Crisco for biscuits, and dh loved the coconut flavor, and I hated it.  However, the texture was nice, and I expect it would taste fabulous in many cookie recipes, although, not sure if same texture would be achieved.  You can heat it with no loss of its beneficial properties, but, again, it imparts a taste you might not care for.  My mom mixes curry spices into it and eats it with meals for its medicinal protective purposes.  Dh likes it so much he puts it in his tea.  I think it's disgusting that way.  I liked chicken tenders I cooked in it.  Regardless, yes, you can melt it and use it as a sub for other oils or use it solid at room temp instead of Crisco, but you'll have to experiment to get it just right for taste and texture.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, how did you make the pink applesauce?

Sections
Shortcuts