October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2012

Was just in the garden freezing my fingers off to get the very last bean crop of the season...they are edible but not looking so great...you know how it is at the end.  Dh will be tarping some of the garden when he gets home.  Winter is bearing down on us hard.  Oh, no, I was supposed to pick the last zucchini - gotta runs.

meatloaf sounds good, tt.  Dh asked for pancakes so that's what the kargivers are having.

gotta grab the squash...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

i hate typing twice

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Thermostat has been pushed way up, Cheerio has sought out the warmest wall register to spread out in front of, and I've pulled my Fall Harvest Bread recipe out of the recipe box to make this morning.  Harry's coat was cold as I patted him this morning, so not sure if he spent the night inside or not.

Hope you got the last of your veggies in yesterday, Kargiver.  I don't see frost on the ground here, but perhaps where you live it came last night.

Will look through the freezer at all those individually wrapped meats and dishes and pick something representative of Fall to have for supper tonight.  I've a taste for the brown rice/kielbasa dish I make, but of course kielbasa is the one thing I don't have in the house.  Trying to stay away from the grocery store other than my once a week shopping expedition, just end up picking up a full order every time I go in.  Lawd knows there is plenty of food in this freezer and on the shelves to sustain me through the winter!

How is your knee this morning, Pingo?  Hoping you got some relief yesterday and that it feels better today when you stand on it.  After I had the baker's cyst that ruptured, I found my knee would "slip out" a lot, and the elastic knee brace helped stabilize it when I knew I was going to be doing any amount of moving around.  Our  bodies are wonderful things, and with time and care heal.

Egg, English muffin and a really big, really hot cup of coffee is on the bill this morning.  Hope you're all in somewhere warm.

P.S.  Frog sitting by side of the pond has long since disappeared down to hibernate at the bottom of the pond, so tried to change my avatar this morning - no photo feature there to click.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Funny, I've been avoiding the grocery store, too, for the same reason...I somehow "need" a full order every time and spend $$$.  However, we are out of staples, and with only having one car I'll have to go to Trader Joe's today and cancel my chiropractic appintment for Monday.  I'm just making a grocery list right now.  

Speaking of groceries, Pingo, are you done with your juicing?  How did you make out?  I'm sure you did great. :)

We're fairly warm - DH started the fire before I was even up.  I heard the paper crinkle and the stove door creak...yay!  And, like Cheerio, our Gracie is absorbing as much of its heat as possible.

Yes, we got the vulnerable veggies and it was a good thing - the grass was white with frost here this morning.  That's what being at 1000 feet gets you at this time of year.  The leaves are "falling like rain" post first real frost as the sun hits them.  Sigh, it's coming...you know what.

DH is cuddling with Gracie in front of the fire, and she's getting irritated; she's never been much of a snuggler, lol.

I need another cuppa...the fire is lovely, but slow to warm up the house.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Wow, 33 when I woke up and the water dish for the birds was frozen solid, so it must have been colder overnight. Time to install the heated waterbath. Glad we started the heat in the house, or I would have stayed in my bed under the covers all day. LOL
    Juicing went well, Kar. I lost 9 lbs. all together, and I am feeling great. Still juicing one meal a day. Mostly lunch, before I leave for the office. That gives me a good afternoon w/o the usual slugginess, that hits me around 3:30 after a normal lunch. My new juicer has really worked overtime. I love it. Mostly b/c it is so easy to clean. My old juicer is impossible to clean, so I didn't use it.
    Good you salvaged the tender veggies, before the frost hit them. I am sure you still have some in the ground; the ones that get better and sweeter, when the frost hits. It must be wonderful to be so self-sustained. And you know you are eating only clean, fresh and good stuff. Lots of work though for both you and DH. 
    tt, my knee is much better today. I iced it yesterday morning, that helped a bit, but during the afternoon, I felt realy miserable. So I called my accupressure lady to make an appointnemt to come and see her today. However, she said she was in the area and came to our office. Worked on my toes and fingers, and hands and feet for about an hour. Buy the time she was done, both knees were much better. I could stand and walk w/o pain. Now I "only" have a sore calf muscle, that got pulled, when I twisted the knee. Have appointments next week. I am still in awe, how well this works. Thanks for asking.
    Picked up a pork shoulder yesterday. Making a pork stew today. Something warm and comforting. I also feel like baking. Don't know yet, what will go in the oven. Have a couple of recipes I want to try. I also have bananas for another bread, but this time, I want to add cranberries. And then I must clean out my refrigertor. I always know it is time, when I run out of small containers.
    Going to be a cold soccer game, Winter.
    Try to stay warm and have a good day all - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to hear your knee is better, Pingo.  How nice of the lady to come to you to give you the acupuncture treatment.

I've got one of those mornings when I can't get going - took shower, but still in robe.  Once I get started on the harvest bread, I'll have a move on and hopefully check off some of those things that seem to have been forever on my "list" - like shredding.  Boy, the paper build up gets ahead of me.  That and the filing.  Determined to spend a couple of hours spread over the week-end, to tackle both.

The birds are gathering in the Japanese Cherry tree outside my window this morning.  Hopping up and down the branches and picking at ends.  There must be some kind of fruit pit there that dries, that they enjoy.  Sun is deceiving, but still is calling to me to go "poking".  I won't listen, I won't listen, I won't listen - - -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

9 lbs, that's great!  And, love your plan to keep juicing for lunch. That afternoon slump can be a real downfall.  I bet your juicing will help your knee heal, too - toxins out, good stuff in!

Roasting up all the zucchini and a lone eggplant that got left behind when I made the spread to braise beef ribs that have been marinating in a quart of tomato sauce that has been in the fridge that didn't seal when I canned last.  Will cut up the beef when it's done - voila, soup.

DH is out with Gracie...I hope they will be super careful on the slippery trails.  Frost, leaves, melting...sigh.

He'll have to get a real load of wood in the trailer we keep in the garage for the week today.  The few pieces he got are gone, and it's none too warm in here.  Nice to have the oven on!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I hear you - I wanted to stay in bed this morning.  Nothing doing, though.  DH was up at 6:20, and Gracie was up a moment thereafter ready to go out and then be fed.  So, up Mommy got, too, and got everyone's breakfast a mere 20 minutes later than usual.  At least he had the fire going to take the edge off the cold.  

I can smell the zucchini...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Wow..I can't believe how chilly it was last night and this morning. Every fall..I have this little competition with myself to see how long I can last before putting the heat on for the first time. The choice was taken out of my hands for when I finally got home last night, my hubbie and son had already turned it on..but truthfully, I would have anyhow. Our cars were covered with frost this morning. Out back, it looks like my scented geraniums didn't fair well overnight, but most of my flowering plants seemed to do okay. I think I will cut the remaining flowers and put them in a vase.

Pingo, so sorry to hear about your friends dealing with Alzheimer's. It is such a tough disease and if they had an awkward experience at one friends house they may not be eager to repeat.  It is such a tough disease and most often the person who is the caregiver is the one who needs the most support. I have a close family member who is in the final stages of Alzheimer's. Her husband, who up until a 3 years ago was her primary caregiver passed away in January after an illness of almost a year. Even with family support, he just gave up the will to live. He blamed himself, became depresssed as she got worse and when she went into a nursing home, it just broke his heart. Over the years before there was a huge reduction in the places they would go to and their social life stopped existing.

I guess what I am trying to say that dealing with that disease on a daily basis is hell..not just for the person, but for the caregiver. Try not to take any of their decisions personally..and try to be there for them as best you can.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you miscricket for you wise words. My mother had Alzheimer's and my Dad was her care taker for several years. But then - like you friend - gave up the will to live and passed away. My sister tried to take care of her in her home, but it became too difficult and she finally had to place her in a nursing home. Nursing homes in my home  country are really great. They are run by the government and everything is taken care of for the patients. They have their own room with bath and can bring their own furniture. The only thing is, the government takes their monthly Social Security except for a small amount of pocket money. But that is fine, they don't need it anyway.
    So I do know what hell our friend is going through. It is definitely worse for the care taker. The patient is in his/her own litte world and have no idea, what is gong on around them.
    I don't take her decisions personally. I was just a bit hurt at first. I was hoping for her to have a relaxed social evening out amongst friends, she knows so well. But I do understand her and certainly respect her wishes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, it is ACCUPRESSURE - nor accupuncture. There is a big difference. This is not invasive at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, mc, good to see you.  

I've whirred the roasted eggplant and zucchini, added seasoning and the meat with tomato sauce, and popped the pot in the oven at 300 to braise the meat.  It's a total experiment, but it had better work because we don't have any other food.  Dh is taking the truck to work Monday so I can keep my appointment and go to Trader Joes on Monday so not going today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Taking the truck to work Monday? Did DH find his keys? Where were they?
    Your braised short ribs sounds just wonderful. Question: You actually have an eggplant zucchini sauce? Never heard of that. Unfortunately, I can't do eggplant, but I would love the zucchini sauce.
    I have a pork shoulder today. Going in my miracle pot with lots - LOTS - of veggies. Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, zucchini - oh, not to forget onions. But now you made me think of roasting and whirling some of them. Hope your experiment turns out well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have the front door open - sun streaming in, warming the room.  Pulled the blinds halfway up the windows, again letting the sun stream in on a warm Cheerio who's stretched out on the new rug, smiling in her sleep.

Made the Harvest fruit cake and also a batch of Applesauce muffins for the freezer.  Grapenut pudding is in oven now - spied the box of grapenuts as I was pulling out my spices.  Took out chicken legs to roast for supper tonight, and a couple of thick ribs to put in the crockpot for tomorrow.

Now, while the pudding bakes, I'll settle down with Julia Roberts and Pelican Brief.  A good day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nope, no car keys.  We have three vehicles, but he doesn't like to drive the F250 unless necessary since diesel is so expensive.

your shoulder and veggies will be delectable, Pingo.  How long to cook in the miracle pot?

what a fabulous, relaxing day you're having, tt, and productive, too!  Gracie is also soaking up the sun, but is outside on her wool blanket.  I'd still be cold, but she's got that nice fur coat, lol.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The soup was a success, thankfully.  Lunch and dinner done.  And, I used up an entire "throw away" gigantic zucchini, seeds, skin, everything.  Woo hoo!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just put the chicken legs in the oven.  Stuck my nose out the door for a few minutes - still cold out back anyway.  Seems funny after the last couple of busy week-ends to have no plans this Sat and Sun, and no company coming.

Soup sounds good, Kargiver.  Good feeling to be able to use everything up.  Wish I could say that about my apples (lol) still have a billiion left!  Gave what I can away, but everyone already has gone apple picking and has their supply in or has had their fill.  Think tomorrow I'll try a pie and freeze it.

Had a small dish of the grapenut pudding, always love that, and forget about making it until I see the pkg on the shelf.  Grapenut pudding, bread pudding, tapioca - all favorites.

The keys are still missing, huh?  Where or where could they be?  I think he just laid them down someplace where he usually doesn't.  Hope you find them.  You didn't pick them up by mistake and put them in your pocketbook, did you?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just can't imagine what happened to those keys.  I've checked every likely and unlikely place I can think of to look again and again, and so has he.  My purse doesn't have room for even my own keys, but I could have grabbed them and put them somewhere...but, where?  I've looked nonstop for two days, and our house is not very large..only a few rooms we use regularly and a couple we don't.  I admit I haven't checked the guest room, but...

speaking of apples, dh asked me to make dumplings so I need to get busy on the crust.  enjoy your chicken - it's a good day to roast just about anything.  Do you freeze your pies raw, tt?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've never made and frozen one before, hardly ever make pies because that's my least successful baking endeavor.  I will freeze it raw tho.  Hopefully company will drop in or something else will occur, giving me reason to procrastinate!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoever coined the phrase "easy as pie" I'm convinced meant, "easy as it looks to make pie."

I'm making crust now having had to go back to the store for whole milk, a necessity, unsubstitutable in my fool proof crust recipe.

I'm experimenting with using 1/2 Crisco, 1/2 coconut oil...I have high expectations for success with it after how the biscuits came out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He found his keys!  SOMEHOW they ended up in a random box in the garage...????  Whatever, we have it, and we're ordering a spare (which he lost a long time ago).

ramekins with crust on top are ready to go in the oven..yay!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The crust came out awesome with the 1/2 coconut oil, 1/2 Crisco, but I would not change the ratio.  It was just a tad tougher than regular.  I think 100% coconut oil wouldn't be as good texture wise.  (I baked the leftover crust with cinnamon and sugar which was done before the "pies.")

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Where is everyone this Sunday morning? Still under the covers? Looks like it is going to be one of those lazy days, where nothing gets done. At least for me. It is raining here. Hopefully the sun will come out later.
    Must be good to have your car back, Kar. I bet that DH dropped those keys in that box, when he was hauling in wood for the stove. Good you found them.
    Re coconut oil. The taste of it, was what I was worried about. I can't stand the taste of coconut. DH wouldn't mind though. I can imagine, it would be ok for baked, sweet things - but I can't imagine a coconut pie crust on my chicken pot pies f. ex. There must be a bunch of recipes on the internet converting to the coconut oil. Have to check it out.
    Our pork stew came out unbelievable good last night. 15 plus 5 minutes for the veggies was all it took and it tasted like it had been simmering for 2 hours. I cut a couple of slices of bacon up and browned the pork in that. After browning, I threw in 3/4 cup of leftover red wine. While the pork was doing it's thing, I prepared the veggies and gave them 5 minutes with the pork. Yummy! And I must tell you, that pot is amazing for browning. It is tall, so no splatters and since the heat is regulated, everything browns really fast w/o getting burnt.
    I have never made a pie and frozen it raw. Does one thaw it then bake it (would imagine it would get soggy) or does one put it in the oven frozen?
    I finally bought Macoun apples, tt. It has become a new favorite of mine. Delicious. I used to buy the Winesap, which is no longer (or hardly ever) available any more. Then it was the Empire, which I still love. But even that one is getting difficult to find. Some of the newer ones I don't care much for, and I never liked Red Delicious, which apparently is the most favorite apple in US.
    Will probably do paper work at home today. You got it, tt. Those papers multiply like rats. And now with the election almost here, all the canditates try tell us, why they should be our favorite. Anyone ever read them? Thinking of it, isn't it just amazing, how much junk we all throw out every day?
    Going out for an early dinner tonight (hope it goes well). So no lunch today. Maybe a glass of juice.
    Have a good Sunday all - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have similar tastes, Pingo - I despise coconut oil.  However, sweet baked goods tend to obscure the flavor.  The pie crust was excellent with 1/2 the Crisco replaced with it, I thought.  Your stew sounds ELEGANT.  Don't you feel so fabulous when your vision is executed so finely?  Macouns are one of my favorites, too.  Honeycrisp is my absolute favorite; I can eat 2 or 3 of those in a row, and they are not small, lol.  I won't eat a Mac (dh's favorite) unless I'm starving half to death...mealy, sour, no "apple" flavor...yuck.  No offense to the Mac lovers intended.

You are probably right about how the key got where it did.  And, oh, yeah, I'm thrilled to not be facing a week essentially house bound.  I have plans to go East to have lunch with the trip's dad that would have to be postponed, and it's unsettling, anyway, to be stuck here.

brrr...too warm out to add a bunch of wood on the fire, but it was 61 when we got up, and it's not much warmer in here, now... I need to bake another pumpkin bread!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello folks...kind of a dreary day..I am going to chill and make a speghetti sauce...We had such a busy day yesterday...I did promise someone a Wowie cake...the Indian friends...Tt,,,could you please post again the recipe?...I can't seem to find our recipe thread...tyia