October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2012

In response to icer's comment:

Hello folks...kind of a dreary day..I am going to chill and make a speghetti sauce...We had such a busy day yesterday...I did promise someone a Wowie cake...the Indian friends...Tt,,,could you please post again the recipe?...I can't seem to find our recipe thread...tyia

"I posted this recipe per a request on the Food:  recipes thread, but feel it really should appear in this thread also, since it truly is a recipe that appeared in the Chat pages way back when my boys were young.  It makes a rich moist dark chocolate cake, perfect to eat as is.  No need to frost.

This cake is mixed and made right in an 8x8 pan, altho when my boys were small I used to double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan.

1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1/3 cup salad oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into ungreased pan.
    Add rest of the ingredients and stir until blended.
    Bake in 350 oven for 35 minutes.  Test at 30 minutes.
    Cut and serve squares right from pan.  I top my servings with whipped cream, but the boys used to gobble it as is.

Originally submitted to Confidential Chat pages by Blue Pencil.
    Resubmitted by toytrumpet, September 2010"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Where have you been all morning, tt? Is your paperwork getting the best of you? I started to worry a bit. Hope all is well.
    Wanted to tell you about a dessert, I made last night for DH and I. Cut one apple (Macoun) in chunks, sprinkle w/ dried cranberries and chopped nuts. Serve w/ a couple of Tbs. Greek Yugurt mixed w/ honey. I am sure vanilla ice cream or just cool whip will do well too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

In response to icer's comment:

Hello folks...kind of a dreary day..I am going to chill and make a speghetti sauce...We had such a busy day yesterday...I did promise someone a Wowie cake...the Indian friends...Tt,,,could you please post again the recipe?...I can't seem to find our recipe thread...tyia

"I posted this recipe per a request on the Food:  recipes thread, but feel it really should appear in this thread also, since it truly is a recipe that appeared in the Chat pages way back when my boys were young.  It makes a rich moist dark chocolate cake, perfect to eat as is.  No need to frost.

This cake is mixed and made right in an 8x8 pan, altho when my boys were small I used to double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan.

1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1/3 cup salad oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into ungreased pan.
    Add rest of the ingredients and stir until blended.
    Bake in 350 oven for 35 minutes.  Test at 30 minutes.
    Cut and serve squares right from pan.  I top my servings with whipped cream, but the boys used to gobble it as is.

Originally submitted to Confidential Chat pages by Blue Pencil.
    Resubmitted by toytrumpet, September 2010"

thank you

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Going through papers, going through the Sunday paper, having lunch, I've been around.  Certainly nothing exciting going on to report.

Your dessert sounds delicious.  Greek yogurt is too sour for my taste, Brigham's vanilla ice cream would be good - almost as good as the grapenut pudding I just had a bowl of.  Made a huge salad with the kitchen sink in it first, and that hit the spot too.  Now a couple of chips to satisfy that salt craving - and I'm done for the afternoon.  Thinking of making a pot of spaghetti sauce instead of cooking up the spareribs.

Good day for my purging/shredding of piles of paper correspondence that have accumulated in the toyroom.  Was talking to nanny friend this morning, and she said, "I don't know about you, but it seems the more I clean out, the more it grows"!  I know exactly what she means.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Your Nanny friend is right on. We have hired a part time (retired) person to scan, shred and clean out our office. He works from 10 to 3 and is so happy to have work to go to every day. We are happy we have him. He is a great asset to our office. He also goes to the PO and the bank for us.

Yogurt on it's own is also too sour for me, tt. But I mix it w/ a bit of honey or sometimes Agave Nectar. We eat it for the probiotics. I do buy the vanilla Greek yogurt, which is nice and sweet, but this one I made myself from whole milk, I had left over. Like Kar, I like to use whole milk for my baking, but I usually always have leftovers, I don't need. Then it goes into my yogurt maker.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I was browsing throught the coconut oil recipes on the net. Looks like it is mostly used for baking. Anyway, I saw this Pumpkin Muffin Recipe, and thought immediately of you, Kar - with all your home made puree. Try to google "Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffin With Coconut Oil". It is the second one down by Cookie Madness. It also uses whole wheat flour, so your spelt will do well.
    I did buy my sugar pumpkins, but they will be decorations for a while. Will do the muffins, when I puree them. I am anxious to hear if you will try the recipe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo!  I'll make them this afternoon instead of my usual quick bread - stay tuned!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow, nice Kar. I am sure you could do a quick bread as well, using the same recipe.

In response to kargiver's comment:

Thanks, Pingo!  I'll make them this afternoon instead of my usual quick bread - stay tuned!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've got the batter done and have to run out for muffin tin liners.  I could make bread, but now I'm in the mood for muffins!  I used honey for sweetener and spelt plus added raisins and walnuts.  The coconut oil whipped nicely with the honey; nice and smooth.  Ok, gotta run so I can put these in the oven.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They are in...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

...and out, and does the house smell yummy!  I think this is going to be a keeper.  It made 10 muffins in my tin instead of 6, and I did fill them to the top.  It says to let them cool in the tin so I'll wait til then to try one.  Not sure dh will be so patient, but he's outside.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Haven't been able to post from work for some reason, so hopefully this will go through!  Not much new going on here.

Kar - So happy DH found his keys!  My DH loses his keys all of the time.  Luckily we have an extra set + OnStar who will open the doors for you.    I do have an extra key for my car as well, but I know to get another one was over $200!

Have a great day everyone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

How did your muffins turn out, Kargiver ?  Browsing in AllRecipes this morning I see there are loads of recipes using coconut oil for main meal item cooking.

Warm when I stepped out back door to feed Harry.  Haven't heard forecast yet, the sky is kind of iffy here.

Oops, no, make that "coconut milk" that is used.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, prin, and everyone re dh's keys!  So relieved.  Yup, we are biting the bullet and spending the ~$200+ on a spare.  He lost and didn't replace that years ago.  I had no idea.

the muffins are some of the best I've ever had, seriously, white flour versions included.  Note my changes to the recipe as a disclaimer.  oh, and I added an extra 1/2 ounce of flour to account for the moisture in the honey.

yes, it's nice to have it warm despite the dampness.  

Heading out in a few minutes for the Monday routine.  Have a great day, everyone!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Pingo, luckily it was a later game on Saturday, so it wasn't as cold as it was earlier. Weekend was ok, not much going on. We started decorating the outside with Halloween decorations.  Kar, glad the keys were found.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Winter, you must be coming up on your anniversary...any plans?

I made the spegghetti and meatballs yesteday...MIL decided to drop in...I was glad I had not made anything yet because of her Wheat allergy and the fact that we invited her to stay for dinner asnd the game. It was a nice visit just the same.

I think I will look up that pumpin muffin recipe too...We will be carving our pumpkins next weekend...it might be a nice addfition to the pizza we usually have while we carve the gourds.

Thank you again TT...I think I have mentioned that we have a small but very active Indian community in town here and their religion requires them to eat no eggs...this means they have adolescents and teenagers that want the kind of things their peers have...cakes for a birthday ect...but I keep copies of this recipe on my fridge and folks just call up for it. I gave out my last copy w/o retaining one for me. I will never do that again.

Well I think I am going to do as uch outside as I can today

chat later

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    So glad the muffins turned out well, Kar. Since they were such a success, I may buy one more pumpkin to bake and pure now. I like your additions of the nuts and raisins. Good thinking! Re the honey, did you exchange it evenly for the sugar? 2/3 cup?

Dinner out last night went well. Our friend's tremors have definitely worsened. But there was no spilling and dropping. His wife told us, he had one of his better days. Unfortunately, he was just sitting eating his food quietly w/o taking part in the conversation. He was in his own little world. I had mailed her the article about the coconut oil. She told me he had been on it for the past 6 months, but did not see any improvement. They are on a meal plan where they live, so I don't know, how she gives it to him. The only meal, she does now, is breakfast and she has never been a baker. Maybe he doesn't get enough of the oil. On the other hand, maybe he indeed is better with the oil. We will never know, how bad he could have been w/o it. All in all it was a good evening. His wife was relaxed and seemed to enjoy it.

Those car dealers are thieves as far as getting car keys. DH has automatic opening. He just have to go near the car. It wasn't working. The dealer told him, he needed a new key for $250+. He looked in the manual, and found out how to open the key and how to change the batteriy. Radio Shack sells them for $12.99 each. I bought them on Amazon for 4 in a package for $3.20 - free shipping. Now, why couldn't the car dealer just have changed the batteries for a reasonable amount?

Leaving shortly for my treatment. Knee is all back to normal, but I will still go for a couple of more treatments, to make sure it stays that way. Lousy day out. But I will be at the office, so it is not going to bother me. Nice it is warmer though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Icer, our anniversary is in February, no plans yet. Probably just dinner. I think Kar's anniversary is in November though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Got all ready to go out, but the wind is blowing so here, figured I'd get blown across the parking lots - decided not to.  Drat!

Icer, glad the wowie cake recipe has hit a target group that really needs it.  I do remember your mentioning the Indian population in your town.  My neighbor had a SIL visiting her from India and I asked her about the egg thing, but she didn't seem to know about that.  Certain meats she didn't eat, that's all.

Pingo, I'm sure your friend enjoyed being able to get out with you and DH for dinner.  Caretakers of people with Alzheimer's can become so isolated themselves.  It took an awfully lot of talking for me to convince my friend to join a support group.  Once she did, it lifted a large weight off her shoulders, there were caretakers there whose spouse hadn't proceeded as far along in the disease as her husband, and there were also those who were much worse.  Sharing their methods of coping, caring, and available programs, helped her a lot, and she felt she was contributing by offering suggestions to those who hadn't traveled as far along the path as she.

11:00, I'd better leave the computer and get something done, not fritter the day away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Pingo - my key is the same as your DH's (push button start, but you just need the key to be near the car to unlock it, etc.)  When the battery died, we had a hard time opening up the key as well, so we went on You Tube and there is was!  Just got the battery at CVS, good as new!  The dealers will try to sting you for everything!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

Just back from the chiropractor and Trader Joe's having spent a mint after a long Joe's hiatus.  But, happily, still no need for produce except for DH's daily bananas.

Pingo, yes, I used 2/3 cup of honey (and added 1/2 ounce of flour to account for the moisture).  I'd do it all exactly the same, again, not one change.  You'll love them, I have no doubt.  Thanks for sharing the recipe!

If they are giving him the coconut oil medicinally, I'm sure they've gotten counsel regarding how much he would need.  I hope so, anyway - I have no idea what it is.  Glad you had a decent night out without its being as bad as it could have been.  Silence is better than a big mess or worse.

Yes, Winter, our 4th wedding anniversary is coming up in Nov.  Can't believe it!  Time flies when you're happily married, and I know the difference, lol.

I resisted going to my diner for lunch as is my usual since I'll be going out to lunch Wednesday and driving a long way to do it.  So, I've got a lazy lunch of soy "chicken" nuggets in the toaster oven from TJ's with a hot sauce mixture of jalapeno sauce, ketsup, vinegar, and brown sugar to dip them in.  I don't usually choose the vegetarian substitute for things like chicken, but they had these out one day to taste, and they are so good!  Oh, and I'll be cracking a Sam Adams from a Fall variety pack I've never had before.

Icer, so glad you have tt's no-egg cake to serve your friends.  Those special diet recipes that are actually delicious that everyone can enjoy are priceless.

Speaking of that, that's the category I'd place these pumpkin muffins that Pingo found.  Elegant, truly, even for the die-hard white flour lovers.  You'd never know, the taste and texture are divine at least the way I made them with the honey (and extra flour), nuts, and raisins. I can't speak for the recipe exactly as written.  I bought more coconut oil specifically with this recipe in mind.

Sun is in and out here today, but how lovely and warm it is!  No fire today. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It seems to be a lovely day here - sunny and warm, every one in shorts!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, it's almost 70 here!  Going for a walk wiht Gracie soon and happy to not have to bundle up or get soaked.

Is anyone else being swarmed today with those orange ladybug imposters?  Our house is covered with them, and I had to tape up the front door just now and vacuum up 100 of them. Yuck! We get them every year around this time for a little while, but never this bad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a beautiful day - we're lucky to have this summer day tossed in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Looking forward to get out of here. It wasn't beautiful, when I left this morning. Raw and breezy. But it looks like the sun is out now.
    Never seen your orange lady bugs, kar. I think they are called stink bugs. So be careful w/ the vacuum. You will crush them and they will give off a terrible stench. The best thing is NOT to get them in the house, by closing all cracks and gabs, like you did w/ tape.
    Texas has them. And my son hosed them off outside with a mixture of bleach and water. He used one of those fertilizer thingies you can attach to the water hose, filled it w/ bleach and hosed away (then just be careful not to step on them). I am not sure if this is the way to do it, but it worked for him. They are not poisenous or harmful, but they are a menace.

Sections
Shortcuts