October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2012

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh I'm not a fan of the socks with flip flops. Luckily my son agrees :) He has basketball tryouts this Saturday about two hours after his soccer game ends. 

[/QUOTE]

Who is?  lol  Just what the kids had decided was the "in" thing to wear - that week!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too funny tt. My son right now doesn't seem to care what the "in" thing is. I'm sure if he goes to public high school it will happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone, I'm heading out soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The teen fads - I was just cleaning out the drawer with all the high school/middle school/camp/even earlier memorabilia to put tin a big plastic bag, waiting for the scrapbooking.  So many pictures of the kids in outfits they loved then but would hate now.  The sport socks with flip-flops will be in that category a few years from now. 

When compared with things like piercing tongues, lips, noses, etc.  I'd be inclined to thank God for the socks with flip flops!  Could be much worse.  15 year old cousin has pierced lip.  Makes me gag to look at her.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, Hats, you'll get over the gag inclination - my GD, pumpkin's mom, has piercings.  She's thoughtful and intelligent, went through excelled programs and got her Masters, and now is doing what she loves.  When I saw the first piercing, I couldn't believe it, not her, not my precious first grandchild who had been the darling everyone oohed and aahed over everywhere I took her!  So feminine, always picking out dresses when I took her school clothes shopping, loving everything girly.  Piercing, along with tattoes, seem to be a "statement" that generation feels the need to make.

I agree about the socks/flip flops, harmless, just fitting in with the crowd, or style setting, I'm not sure which category he fell into.  Thirteen is a difficult age.  You're right, it could be a whole lot worse - than either fad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, thanks for the Target tip, I'll check them out for the pillows.  Hate to spend on those things.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Did you feel the earthquake?  I sure did!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We certainly did too, Hats. Our house was shaking for maybe 3 - 4 seconds. May not seem like a lot, but it is a long time, when one does not know, what is happening.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

So did ya feel the earthquake?  It was very strange, MIL called me (from her apt upstairs) and asked if something happened, that her couch shook, etc.  I didn't feel it.  We live right near an air force base, so I just assumed it was a plane or something.  I was "goofing around" with the dogs, and didn't feel it - in the same house, very strange.

Didn't catch all of the debate last night, but it I have seen all of the soundbytes, etc. 

Not much going on here, but love catching up on everyone's posts! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We certainly did too, Hats. Our house was shaking for maybe 3 - 4 seconds. May not seem like a lot, but it is a long time, when one does not know, what is happening.

[/QUOTE]

We felt it too...freaky for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was on the phone with SS.  she didn't feel anything where she lives, but it sounded like a huge truck was going by and then everything on the counter shook, including water in bottles.  I was scared because people on the corner had had their property along the whole side of their house dug up yesterday (in anticipation of an addition they had been approved for, I think), and my first thought was a rupturing gas line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was on the phone with SS.  she didn't feel anything where she lives, but it sounded like a huge truck was going by and then everything on the counter shook, including water in bottles.  I was scared because people on the corner had had their property along the whole side of their house dug up yesterday (in anticipation of an addition they had been approved for, I think), and my first thought was a rupturing gas line.

[/QUOTE]

We live next to train tracks so my thought process was..train..then de-railed train..then plane crash ( random..I know)...then earthquake. My son was pretty psyched..my honey thought it was cool..and I was unnerved. My cat, who is deathly afraid of thunder storms and gusting wind..wasn't the least bit fazed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio was petrified.  She was in the kitchen with me and looked up at me with the biggest, scared eyes.  SS went right on talking about her smorgasbord that hadn't turned out good, and I don't think she realized how frightening it was.  Fox 25 did a great job of covering it - turned to that station as soon as I got off the phone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oddly, DH asked me from the living room in his recliner if I had just felt the house shaking, and I hadn't.  But, he said it was very noticable to him and he heard the rumble, too.  Gracie, like miscricket's kitty, was completely unfazed; she didn't even lift her head from her snug-as-a-bug position on her bed.  So, standing in the kitchen, I totally missed it...odd.

Just on here a second before getting ready to head East for my haircut and then lunch with trips' dad.  We go way back having worked together from 2001 until I left.  I still cannot believe how much our lives have changed since 2001!!!  Anyway, I'll probably hit the Trader Joe's out that way to replenish the wine supply.  Maybe another stop at the Container Store...if I dare, lol.

Oh, speaking of spending, tt, I'm droooooling over the Plow and Hearth catalog.  Every page has something I'd like for the fireplace or whatever.  Oh, check out the log carrying bag on page 25.  We have that; it's awesome for carrying the wood from the garage to the stove.  Very sturdy, worth every penny.

Have a great day, everyone!

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I noticed all the fireplace accessories myself.  Was looking to see what they had for pellet stoves (thinking of G.T.), but didn't see anything in my first go-through.

Have a fun day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Looks like most of us experienced a bit of the earthquake. DH thought our oil burner blew up and ran down to check it. I thought an 18 wheeler went by the house even though that is impossible. They can't turn around the dead end. It was really strange. This morning I noticed a couple of our larger paintings had to be straightened out and 3 framed photos on my hutch had fallen over. Good it wasn't worse, especially for the people, who live around the epic center near Portland.

Cold morning for sure. And I am car less today. Our company car had some light come on yesterday and went to the garage. We are in the middle of surveying a parcel out in Great Barrington, so guess what? They were here at 6 this morning to pick up my car, and I already have the jitters. It is going to be a long day. Hopefully it is nothing major, and we will have the other car back tonight.

Having no car, I broke down this morning and one of my pumkins is already in the oven. Want to make those muffins. Will keep you posted. Glad I went to TJs yesterday to pick up the coconut oil. I also got a nice chicken for some home made chicken soup. My kitchen will be warm and smelling comfy. Good for a cold day like this. I have a couple of "catch all" kitchen drawers, I need to sort out, plus if I run of of things to do, there are always closets to straighten out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, funny you should mention that log carrying bag. I went through the catalog last night, and I thought - wonder if Kar has one like that; I should mention it to her.
    Have a nice trip East.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. We frlt the earthquake as well. It sounded like a train was coming right outside the house (I don't live near a train). Yoda looked scared as well.  This morning I thought, I hope the pool is ok. Won't know until it's opened next Spring. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I thought "a train" too - then I remembered, there hasn't been a train on the line since 1978 and there are no tracks anyway!  Hubby laughed at my alarm but I was correct as usual, it was not just a jet or a truck......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't understand how dh heard and felt it 20 feet from where I didn't hear or feel a thing.  Matt Noyes on NECN said there would likely be some damage at the epicenter since while it wasn't too big as far as earthquakes go buildings aren't fortified for any earthquake activity there.  Hopefully not too much, though, if any.  Winter, gl with your pool.  homeowners insurance ought to cover any damage, but what a pain.

got my haircut and came out to a message asking if we could reschedule lunch.  Darn...perfect day for it.  Oh, well, next week probably.  

Funny you noticed that bag, Pingo!  Thanks for thinking of me. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Buildings around Boston are actually designed with the same EQ codes as in CA. It would be unusual, if Maine doesn't use the same codes as the rest of NE. I will have to check w/ DH.

Too bad your luncheon was cancelled, Kar. But there is always another day. The pumpkin halves are cooling off. Will get to the muffins as soon as the puree is cold enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I am pretty sure not too long on the news after the earthquake more south (DC?)they were saying Boston would have major damage.  So many of the buildings are old and close together.  I would think new construction would have better structures in place to help in natural disasters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was thinking more of older homes in Maine at the epicenter, but time and reports will tell.  Hopefully, no one had any major damage.

pingo, you will be so happy with the muffins.  Good find!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

alreadymarried and Kar, you are right. The olders buildings could have problems. Many are not built to code. And that includes all construction phases - not just EQs. But whatever goes up now - and at least as long as I have known DH - must conform to the strickter codes. And for a good reason.
    Hopefully no one had major damage.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful Fall day.  Took a ride up to Home Goods on Route 1 and did some poking.  Picked up a cute little wooden wagon with blocks in it for pumpkin - just the right size for him.  Couldn't help but notice that they had aisles of throw pillows, Kargiver.  Of course, all the Christmas decorations are taking over a good part of the store now too.

Special Thoughts is next door and ran in there for some candy.  My lunch so far has been a Mr. Goodbar (haven't had one of those in years), but will make a nice big salad now.  Those of you who are working, if you can walk at lunch, today's a good day for it.