October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2012

My aunt and uncle use their iPhones' GPS and their Acura's at the same time.  Interestingly, one always follows the other in terms of when they speak so they don't talk over each other.  They choose the route that they think is best when they differ.  Now, that's extreme GPSing!

winter, I love the real time info.  I just noticed google maps has that feature - instead of just the average time it takes for that route it gives you the "in current traffic" time, too.  Funny about your dh's thanking her - mine would never admit he was helped by it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love the GPS on my iPhone. She even alerts us to police, accidents, etc. On the way to Gettysburg, DH even thanked her for the info...lol.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Winter - which iPhone app do you use?  I haven't found a GPS one that I like!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Our sons use their iPhones too for GPS-ing. I don't like it one bit. Not only the route, which they have to keep moving the screen for, but also looking for restaurants, gas stations etc. Too much of a distraction, unless a passenger holds it and command it. IMO it is the same as texting, which is banned in many states including MA.
    I know, I will get hit over the head of this one, but I wish they would ban using cell phones - while driving - all together. Everywhere there is a place to park near by, where one can use it safely.

ETA: And there reason, "Everyone is doing it!" - is not good enough for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, shopping was a bust, Pingo, you didn't miss anything.  Came home and made the scones and am waiting for them to cool enough to have one with the chicken soup I'm heating up.  So glad I froze containers.  Have you ever  tried putting a cut up small tomato in it?  Gives it a whole different little taste.

Beautiful out.  How much longer can this great weather last?  Long enough to get my roof and stairs done, I hope.  Am hoping within the next week they will be able to start.  Funny about house on corner, had their whole side area of house backhoed, and safety fences around, but nothing going on there yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Too bad, tt - your shopping didn't materialize anyting. Scones sounds good. Funny, you should mention chicken soup. I am having a whole chicken in my pressure cooker as we speak, for chicken stock. Then I will freeeze in containers. I add juice of one lemon to it. Partly for preserving it, partly for the taste. I can imagine the tomato will give it similar acidic taste. Will definitely try it.
    Hope you get the stairs and roof done before the real winter starts, tt. But those two items are not something, they cannot do under winter conditions. You are having the composit stairs, right? Bricks or concrete would be a different matter. They can't be done if the temp. goes under 40 degrees.

And I thought of you, Icer. After parting the chicken, I cleaned my counter with Clorox, and I can tell you for sure, it wasn't 1/4 teasp to a Gallon of water. More like a gallon of Clorox to 1/4 teaspoon of water. LOL
    Don't send you know who after me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Funny about house on corner, had their whole side area of house backhoed, and safety fences around, but nothing going on there yet ---

Could be they didn't get their financials approved or they don't have their permit yet. Happens a lot. People are anxious to start and a the small hired for cheap contractor don't tell them they need a permit before they start. Then they have to file for a permit, which can take time. But the sneaky contractor are already in and they are stuck with him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They had to go before the Board back in the Fall, and were approved for the addition.  It will have to be professionally done, addition involves changes to kitchen.  Probably the backhoe guys got to it before the contractor was ready to begin.  Still, don't like to look over and see it like that.

Gorgeous out.  Just went out to frolic a bit with Harry.  He's out there talking up a storm, followed me up to the back part of the yard while I checked on some apple peelings I had put out a few days ago.  My son keeps telling me I'm having deer visit, sees their droppings, and I know they're fond of apples.  As long as they're coming anyway, figured all peelings and cores I'll put out there for them.  No signs of anything today.  Anyway to get back to Harry, he was so cute, scratching his back on the grass, talking and smiling away.  When I got back to the door and opened it, he came up on the stair and peeked in - to see Cheerio with a tail fluffed up 5 times it's normal size!

Stole one of GS's scones to have with soup at lunch.  Good combination.  First time I had a scone was on my first visit to Ireland when we stopped with the tour at a small place that had pots and pots of simmering soup - served with scones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, all this talk with your the other night about stroganoff, I thawed out some hamburg (don't have any beef chunks) and was going to make a poor man's version for supper.  Not thawing out fast enough tho, so guess it will wait until tomorrow's supper.  Want to jot down exactly what I do and use so you can compare.  I don't make a thick stroganoff tho, and I think that's where the difference lies - you were trying to thicken it up.  My broth came from leftovers from something else, I can't remember what.  Still have a container of the broth and will use that again.  It had a lot of flavor, but for the life of me can't remember what I was originally making.

Speaking of not knowing where something came from - do any of you use labels for your plastic containers in the freezer?  Where can I find some.  Was using file folder labels but they tend to really stick past the time I want them to!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Yo got me snickering Pingo...but I won't send you know who

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I use masking tape and marker to mark plastic containers for the freezer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have a true Irish scone recipe somewhere. Will see if I can find it. When I travel, I collect cook books from the local area. In the same book there was also a recipe for Rowan Berry Jelly. Oh, I feel home sich now.
    As far as labels, tt. I got sick of taking off Freezer Labels. You don't need them. Now I just use, and have for the longest time, plain Scotch Tape and write on them with a fine tipped permanent marker. They don't come off in the freezer and are easy to remove, when you want to.
    Re poor man's stroganoff. Had lunch at a friend's a couple of weeks ago. She made it, and it was delicious. When I asked her for the recipe, she hesitated to give it to me. She had just thrown it together from ground beef, onions, mushrooms and Campbells mushroom soup!!! She served it on toast triangles, with a smigen of cranberry sauce on the top. It was good.

ETA: tt, the dull/matte tape works best. The ink on the shiny one tends to rub off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Princess I use Waze for the GPS app. Pingo, I don't type in it while driving, I add the information before I hit the road. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you, Winter. Not many do. And that includes my boys; it makes me so angry with them. They know, where they are going, why can't they do this, while they are parked? Why do they have to typed it in, as soon as they move? Argh!

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Princess I use Waze for the GPS app. Pingo, I don't type in it while driving, I add the information before I hit the road. 

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I also have Siri on my phone so I can say the place to you and get it to move that way, but still not while driving. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out soon. Hope everyone has a good night. I'll be baking cookies for my tray of cookies for tomorrow's bazaar. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good luck baking, Winter. Lots of work for you. How many cookies are you planning to do? I couldn't do, what you are doing. Coming home from work and start a new project in the kitchen. Well, I used to, but those days are long gone. My hat off for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, you impressed the heck out of me last year with so many kinds of cookies!  GL this year!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

What a dreary day...at least it's not cold, though.  And, I've got big plans, as you know.  My friend from town is coming by at 9:30 for our weekly 4 mile walk together with Gracie, and I'm leaving for SIL's work at 1:00 to get her to Boston for a 3:45 appointment.  Traffic, parking, you know how it is.  We have reservations for what sounds like a fabulous place in the North End for dinner afterwards.  I tried to get into Scampo on Charles Street since we could walk, leaving the car in the garage for her doc's appointment, but they were booked through 10 pm.  10 pm?  Guess I picked a good one.  Oh, well, we can drive, but I added 30 minutes to account for it.

Brace yourself, but I just made and am thoroughly enjoying sprouted grain spaghetti for breakfast.  I usually have red wine with that, but donn't worry - there's just coffee in the cup, lol.

Hm, I have an hour before she gets here.  I should get the kitchen put together.  Time will fly after we get back and "suddenly" it will be time to leave.  Poor Gracie in the rain, but what can ya do.  At least she has the shelter under the eaves witih her wool blanket that stays dry.

Have a great day, everyone, if I don't get back online until tomorrow.

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Last night I baked a batch of chocolate chip and a batch of sugar cookies. Three dozen each. I trayed up most of them, but kept a few for us. I think I had the kitchen cleaned up at 10:15, phew.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    That's a lot of cookies to make after work, Winter. So the bake sale is today? l suppose you will leave early from work. Or maybe not, since you don't have to man a baking table.
    Have a great day, Kar. Too bad the weather is not better, but at least it is not too cold. It sounds like you are going to Mass General, my old work place. And I used to live in Charles Street, when I first came here. Walking distance to the hospital. It was safe then. Now I wouldn't like to live there. Hope SIL will have a good check up.
    I have my car back, so I will be flying around to catch up on errands that have piled up the last two days. Will be nice to get out of the house too. Was starting to get cabin fever.
    Have a good day all. Chat later.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, yes the bazaar is tonight, but I won't need to leave work early as it's pretty close to where I am. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, you've done it again good job!  That's a lot of cookies.

Pingo, walking to work, what a great "commute" you had.  I'm enjoying walking more the older I get.  

Speaking of which, my friend and I had another fabulous walk.  We really get into the issues of our lives down to brass tacks.  4 miles is a long way, long enough to cover quite a bit of what's on our minds.  Life is complicated.  It's nice to have a weekly date to talk it all out with someone we trust to keep our secrets.

The rain has stopped here so I'm hoping that means the band that was supposed to go through has gone on its merry way for Gracie's sake.  I've got an hour and a half to go.  I really should spiff the car up.

Where is everyone else on this drizzly morning?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I used to have a friend like that. We would take our morning walks around the neighbor hood. We would talk about everything, which I think was a lot more important than the walk. Unfortunately she passed away several years ago to bladder cancer. All the doctors were treating her for UTI. By the time they found out it was cancer, it was much too late. I miss her so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yuck, it is nasty and raw out there. Just came back from my all day (sans one hour at the office) running errands and "poking". Had great luck at Marshall's today. 3 lovely fall/winter tops. Just my colors and size.
    Went to TJ's to stock up. Coffee, dried cranberries, vitamins and a pumpkin to replace the one I pureed. Going to make the pumpkin muffins again tomorrow, but with cranberries instead of the raisins. Plus, I have an order for 12 pumpkin muffins for next Thursday. DH tennis buddies saw him eating one last night before the game. He was playing exceptionally well last night. Lots of jokes went around. What did your wife put in that muffin? Steroids? All I can say is, that is all good stuff in that muffin. But now they all want some. LOL
    I also want to bake some apple sauce muffins over the weekend. One of DH's clients have an apple tree right in front of one of his apartment building on one of Boston's Streets. He gave DH a huge bag of the loveliest, small, sweet apples. No idea what kind. But I already made apple sauce of half of them. It is delicious. I am sure he will enjoy his own harvest in the muffins.
    Bought pork chops on special for dinner tonight. Came in a package of 6, but I will freeze 4 of them for later. Plus I picked up a bag of Brussel Sprouts. DH loves them. Me not so much. But I am going to do them the way Kar does, and maybe she will convert me.
    Have a good bake sale fundraiser, Winter. And tt, we haven't heard from you all day. Just hope your shredder didn't swallow you.
    Nighty night!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I was out and about all day yesterday, and on the phone most of the evening, it seemed.  We both hit Marshall's, Pingo, but I'm sure different ones.  Loaded up my basket with stuffers for the Christmas baskets, and also picked up a gift.  Hope I'm able to keep it a surprise until Christmas!  Just hit it right yesterday and went out of there humming.  Did you know they have a rewards card now too (who doesn't?).  10% off every time you shop, plus once you have spent $200 they give you a $10 gift card.  With me running in there every week, and Christmas coming up, it will be quite a savings for me.  Saved $4.00 on my purchases yesterday.

Rainy but warm out.  Have to catch up on the news/weather, I think I heard it's going to be a good few days after this.  

Finally got the poor man's stroganoff made last night and have enough left over for a couple more meals.  Touched base with SS, and we figured out where hers went wrong.  Her disappointing batch was enough to turn her off of it for a while tho.

Much to do today in the house.  Have a feeling Newton DIL might be down at some point, depends on the Pat's schedule, I'm not a sports fan, so don't keep track of when they play.

More applesauce to make today.  I have a little dish of it with most every supper.  Nice your client shared his crop with you, Pingo.  Enjoy.

Sorry I wasn't on to wish you good luck with your bake sale, Winter.  Hope it was a good fund raiser.  

P.S.  This same card is also good at Home Goods and T.J.Maxx