October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: October 2012

tt, I'll take some apple sauce. How about calling the local guy and negotiating the price, maybe he can go lower. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yeah! We can post again. The Forums were down all day, due to some internal BDC complications - not the Forums.

Here is a post I tried to post earlier to you, tt - but wouldnt go. I e-mailed it to myself and copied and pasted it.

tt, don't I count? I always try to answer your posts. It does seem a bit lonely here some days, but we are all busy now and then. And now with the holidays coming up, we will be more so. I am not always on my computer after I get home from work (a full day at the office is enough), so if you post late in the afternoon, I may not see your post until the next day.

Re pumpkin's toy. Have you been to the store near TJ's. The Learning Center or something like that. They have different kind of toys and are quite helpful if you go there weekdays and not weekends, when they have extra hired help. They may come up with something, you haven't even thought of.

Your half bushel of apples sounds wonderful. I am looking for the Empire apples. Haven't seen them around yet. Did you happen to see if they were available at Brooksby? Nothing like a big juicy apple eaten by hand with the juice running down your arm. Then you know, you hit something good. I don't like "mushy" apples. That's why I never buy Red Delicious. They are pretty to look at, but they are not to my liking. Last week I tried a new variety; a cross btw. Jona Gold and Braeburn. Didn't care much for them. And then there are the Honey Crisps. They are good, but expensive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

tt, I'll take some apple sauce. How about calling the local guy and negotiating the price, maybe he can go lower. 

[/QUOTE]

I  had tried that when he first gave me the quotes.  He did come down a couple of hundred on the stairs.  If my sons agree, I'll lay it on thick and tell him my son feels that if he could come down a little on the roof, I should go with him, the local contractor, because of his excellent reputation and that we know if he did the work he would stand behind it and take care of any problem that we might have.  We'll see what happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

When I couldn't get in to post this afternoon I figured BDC was entering their vote re my many postings! lol  

Good I got home when I did, service man was early for repair.  Had it repaired because they say it is a good machine.  Besides, I don't want to deal with having to go out and get a new dryer right now.

Hats, the other book is one I just picked up at the library, had been on a waiting list for it.  It's called, "City of Women" - a novel about German women left at home during the height of the War.  Ordinary women, ordinary lives and how they are turned upside down - there, as in our countries.  You might not care for it because of it's location, but the original write ups I saw peaked my interest.

Find I still will have to run out tomorrow for a few things.  I always do a bag of candy to go with music card/money for GS.  One year when I asked him what he wanted, he said "a bag of candy", so I always include one now.  Have to check with his father and see when I might be able to catch him before Friday.  Will also make a batch of choc chip cookies (the old recipe, I guess, since that's what he's used to) and give him a tin full.  The rest of tomorrow will be spent making chicken soup, and deciding on my clothes for the upcoming days.  Got the presents wrapped today and the poem is written.

ETA:  Staying up to watch "Flipping Out" at 10:00 tonight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, there were many varieties there today, but I'm not sure about the Empire because I had my eye out for Macouns, and was looking in the "falls" section anyway.  Had one to eat this afternoon (most are without any blemishes at all), and it was crisp and delicious.  I love the Braeburn too, but not sure there were any of those.  You could call and ask what apples they are picking now.  It was loaded today with kids, looking at the animals, and I'm sure applepicking.  It's a nice spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I know I am wicked late with my next statement..my hope is that you all as a collective will understand I am in  different time zone than usual

I read all of your posts TT...and....I enjoy them very much!!!...oh so very much ^j^

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We ought to send you away more often, Icer - you've posted more in the few days you've been away than we usually hear from you in a month!  haha  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I tried to post many times yesterday but to no avail....but I wish I had some apple crisp.  Sadly, I'm the only baker around here so it isn't happening, the best I could manage was some tapioca, a brand called Winky's, which was not as good a Kozy Shack, which is not as good as home made either. 

So busy these days, have already done a lot in the last 45 minutes.  Work never stops in the digital world!  My sister is interviewing for a job where she can work at home.  She's delighted at the prospect; I think it will be less wonderful than she thinks but she does not listen to any advice.  She's been commuting for many years so it will at least save her all that time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  So you probably remember, every year I Chair the baked goods table at my son's bazaar. Well this year instead of selling the baked goods, they are going to ask people to try and wrap them or make breads, pies, etc. Not sure what I should make or if it will be a success. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Hats

My GD has just taken a job where she can do all her case work from home (pumpkin's mom), and has the flexibility of seeing her patients in afternoon/evening hours.  I know her reasoning is to be able to spend more awake time with him, but I don't think she's done it long enough yet to figure out it's going to make for very long work filled hours.  As you say, they have to learn themselves by trial and error.

As for the apple crisps I envision - what was I thinking buying a half a bushel!  I got caught up with pictures/aromas of the crisp and applesauce in my mind, and forgot about my poor hands.  Thinking of making one to take to G.T.'s as a gift, but that would have to be done the same morning as one of rolling out, cutting out, decorating tiny gingerbread boys - I think I got carried away.  They've been apple picking so don't imagine they'd want a bag of apples - ? haha.  Pumpkin's mom, to make crisps in the free hours she's envisioning?  haha

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]

Good morning everyone.  So you probably remember, every year I Chair the baked goods table at my son's bazaar. Well this year instead of selling the baked goods, they are going to ask people to try and wrap them or make breads, pies, etc. Not sure what I should make or if it will be a success. 

[/QUOTE]

I vote for your delicious banana bread.  You could do small tins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Forgot to mention that they want people to buy raffles for the baked goods. I was thinking of some banana bread, maybe a try of assorted cookies?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]

Forgot to mention that they want people to buy raffles for the baked goods. I was thinking of some banana bread, maybe a try of assorted cookies?

[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.  I know you make the peanut butter blossom, what others are you favorites?

I scanned choc chip recipes again this morning, but decided I will do the original choc chip but with only 1 egg (large) and see if that's more the baked consistency I'm looking for.  Read somewhere number of eggs do make a difference,  trouble is, I can't remember what the difference is!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We had a "country fair" in our town with a competition for best quick bread.  The winner was a sweet potato bread, which surprised me.  People also entered zucchini chocolate chip,  banana, etc.

Christmas tree shop sells mini loaf pans for a buck each.  They are decorated in seasonal (pumpkins, santas, turkeys) and place (Maine, Cape Cod) themes.  I buy lots and give them away with bread.  I get three or four minis out of each regular recipe.  They would be great for a raffle.  The little pans are good for putting dips, olives, potted cheese, etc. in as well as making bread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I was thinking of doing a tray of just peanut butter blossoms and then maybe a mixture of chocolate chip, sugar and oatmeal. Would one little loaf pan be enough for a raffle though? I have in the past made them in the CTS pans but sold them for $3.50/$4.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah, I see, each thing you submit would be a separate raffle?  I don't think a small mini loaf by itself would be enough to buy a raffle ticket on.  The tray of cookies is a good idea, and maybe a regular loaf of banana bread as another raffle item?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

InterestingIntestine resting, hats, there's a sweet potato quick bread in this month's Everyday Food!  I've been making it with pumpkin since that's what we have - it's pretty tasty!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

apparently both auto correct AND edit are broken.  Anyway, that should have simply started, "interesting."  What are the bdc forum software engineers DOING all day?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Drizzeling out, but at least the Forums are working again.
    I would love to take off half of your half bushel of apples, tt. My juicer eats them, as if there is no tomorrow.
    Why are they going to ruin a good thing, Winter? I just can't phantom, how a raffle is going to work out. Do they anticipate to raise more money that way? I would be happy to buy and pay full price for the baked goods, and I would probably buy a few raffle tickets, but I don't think I wouldn't spend as much on raffle tickets as buying straight out. As for your contribution, a tray of cookies and your banabread sounds good. Ocean Lot sells forms and trays for 25 - 50 cents each, in case you need them. They are way back on the left back wall.
    I forgot to mention, I had Azaleas blooming last week. Only the red ones. Strange.

ETA: Should be imagine - can't believe, how phantom came about. Thanks for pointing it out, Kar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

heeheehee, phantom...they have GOT to fix autocorrect!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, thinking of OLA's Christmas Fair last year, and they had the regular baked goods sale, but then each grade (8) put together a theme basket and those were raffled off.  That went over good and they made a lot of money.  A lot of businesses donated things for the baskets, and those parents who had sports connections got autographed shirts etc. donated by team players to include.

ETA:  there were all different themes, baking, pink girly stuff, gardening, DVD TV game , Harry Potter, pet -

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What an excellent idea, tt. Theme baskets! Now that is something I would like to buy raffle tickets for.

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Winter, thinking of OLA's Christmas Fair last year, and they had the regular baked goods sale, but then each grade (8) put together a theme basket and those were raffled off.  That went over good and they made a lot of money.  A lot of businesses donated things for the baskets, and those parents who had sports connections got autographed shirts etc. donated by team players to include.

ETA:  there were all different themes, baking, pink girly stuff, gardening, DVD TV game , Harry Potter, pet -

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, DS' school also does a theme basket per grade that is raffled off. The baked goods table didn't do that well last year, made about $200 so someone suggested doing it this way. At least it gets the kids to stop picking things up and not buying it. 

I guess I'll just make the tray of cookies and a banana bread or two. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I know that wasn't your doing!  You probably kept hitting the post button and nothing happened until all at once!

Choc chip cookies are cooling, chicken soup is simmering, and I put a call into my son to see if I could touch base with my GS before his Friday birthday.  May be over this afternoon.  Ran out to Michael's to get card embellishments and spent a fortune - I always do when I go to the card decorating section.  Picked up decorations for the Halloween cards too.  Got the rest of the candy for GS's birthday bag, and I'm in a pretty good place right now.  Just have to get clothes figured out for tomorrow and Friday and Sat.  tomorrow will be the toughie with gingerbread boys to make in the morning before running out to the dr.'s.

I think your idea of a tray of cookies and a banana bread or two is perfect.  I'll take a couple of tickets on the tray of cookies, please.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

The posting was broken again this morning. Looks like it is up and running now.
    Sounds like you are going on a mini vacation, tt. Friday is going to be banner day to go to the Cape. Sunny and 75 degrees. So make sure you bring some summer clothing along. Or at least dress in layers. Thursday and Saturday not so much. Rain and cool tmw. and cold and showers Sat.
    We don't know what tricks BDC have up their sleeves for tomorrow. So I want to take the chance now, while we can post, and wish you a fun and safe trip (this time I got the date right). Hope you bring home some treasures. And good luck w/ the doc visit too. Hope all is well with your nose tip. - Pingo