October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2012

Good morning! 

Pingo, gosh, that's so sad about the loss of your friend.  sounds like if they had been on top of things she could have beaten it.  

If you like cabbage, I believe you'll like Brussels sprouts if they are parcooked before you sauté them.  Half cooked sprouts are terrible!  Hope I'm right...let us know this it goes.

tt, good job at the cts!  That's  great program, and you're really on top of the Christmas list.  

Had a blast with SIL after her appointment for dinner and dessert at Mike's.  Their canolis are my favorite dessert on earth.  We went to Taranta for dinner.  Good for the adventurous not looking for traditional Italian...it was a unique menu of exquisitely prepared Peruvian-Italian fusion.  Excellent ingredients, preparation, a service, and atmosphere, but if traditional North End fare is what you're expecting, a disappointment.  I loved it and would return, but SIL not so much.

The sun is coming out...yay!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just dumped the batch of apple cores up back and almost stepped on a big fat frog on my way back.  He was just hopping around, probably trying to stay out of my way!

CTS?  Do you mean Christmas Tree Shop, Kargiver?  Skimming again?  It was Marshall's - big difference.

Too bad about your dinner choice not being what you exactly expected.  Good food is good food tho, and you've experienced a different dining experience.

Well, my intuition was right about company, I just had the wrong person.  While I was in the shower, my nephew from NH called saying they might be in the neighborhood later and could stop in - "but since you're not home - - -".  Tried to give him a call back but it was a blocked number he was using.  Took out the batch of applesauce muffins from the freezer, just in case, and am making a double batch of applesauce to have enough of those and muffins to send home with them.  If they do show up, think I can stretch the stroganoff for lunch for three - with just a smidgin of sour cream for each of us.  Will make a batch of scones to go with - they won't go to waste, can always freeze them if they don't come by.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

tt, why didn't you tell me this before? 10% - I could have saved $7. Must go back and get the card. We both must have hit a good day. What's the surprise gift? Sounds like it is something you are especially fond of.
    Did you here the thunder last night? Some very loud booms and close by. I am sure Cheerio must have been scared.

Winter, hope your bake sale/fundraiser went well and that your cookies made smiles all over. It is today DS have basket ball trials? Good luck!

Thought of you Kar yesterday, driving to Boston in that heavy rain. No fun. But at least they have a covered garage. How was the dinner afterwards? Where in NE did you go? Did you stop at Mike's? We general have desert there after our dinner in NE.

Having our boiler tuned up this morning. That's about the excitment for today. Took out the ingredients for the apple sauce muffins. Now I am debating with myself substituting the butter with the coconut oil. Kar, where are you? Can you please give me your input? I don't want to ruin a good thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, did you miss my morning post at the top of this page? :)

if the recipe calls for vegetable oil, melt the coconut oil in the microwave before adding it and whip it in before it cools and solidifies.  If the recipe calls for Crisco, use the coconut oil in its solid, room temp state as if it were Crisco.  It will be great!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention in my first post that, absolutely, we wouldn't miss a chance to go to Mike's, and we had, of course, canolis. :)  And, the rain was a bummer, but no real concern since it was so warm.  No chance of freezing on the road and we were comfortable walking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I just found out about the discount yesterday at the register.  She asked if I had a rewards card, and when I said, no, then asked if I'd like to get one there on the spot - explained how it worked.  I was able to use it on that day's purchases.

Seems all the stores are offering discounts now.  Kohl's had another mailing that gave me 30% off if I used their card.  I passed it on to my DIL, figured she could pick up something nondescript even, underwear, socks, whatever for the kids, if she didn't see any big item she wanted.

She had mentioned hunting for/buying a frame for pumpkin's picture and I popped up with, 
    "Don't do that, I've a whole box of frames in the attic".  Of course when I checked this morning, that was one of the boxes that I had given to Nanny friend for a flea market sale the Historical Society had!  Will have to check a bureau drawer where I keep pictures, there may be a frame or two in there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ugh, I do wish I could edit posts, sorry.  I see it calls for butter.  I'd use the coconut oil in its room temp state.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks both friends!
    Marshall's in Saugus didn't offer it to me yesterday. Does that calls for a law suit? LOL
    "Old lady was not offered a discount card. Now sues for a Million Dollars due to discrimination". Sounds like a good headline for the Globe. tt, I will give you 10% of the settlement for being a good friend mentioning it to me.
    Kar, I think we posted at the same time - sort of. I did read your post and surely enough, you couldn't go by Mike's w/o stopping. Love that bakery. And good for me, it is too far away for me to frequent it. Their canolis are the best.
    Ok, coconut oil won over the butter. Thanks for your input. Will let you know, how they come out.
    Now DH want lunch. Made chicken salad w/ celery and Craisins. And spiced it up with curry powder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Old lady was not offered a discount card. Now sues for a Million Dollars due to discrimination"

Pingo, there ain't no old lady older than me! LOL  To add fuel to the fire, it was at the Saugus store yesterday that they offered it to me!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Are you serious, tt? The Saugus store? What time were you there? I was there from 11 to maybe 12:30.
    Now, I must go back with my receipt and ask them, why they didn't offer me the discount card.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The exact time I was there too!  11:00 to about 12:15 - Let's see, who do I remember that might have been you??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh no, tt. That is really much too bad. Would have loved to give you a big hug. I am always looking for a lady in orange or a red coat with red glasses, whenever I go there. Same at TJ's. I guess I was in the "top" section, while you were perusing their Christmas decorations. It's a huge store. Darn it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I wandered through the clothing, then spent most of my time in the giftware department.  Wasn't wearing any of the above colors - poiple glasses, Pingo, poiple!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Poiple glasses? Oh, that's why I missed you. What happened to wearing orange? That's a fall color. And what about your Vera Bradley handbag? I know that handbag by heart. Remember the pix you took when the mouse went inside it? You just can't change around like this, so your friends cannot recognize you. Just saying!

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wandered through the clothing, then spent most of my time in the giftware department.  Wasn't wearing any of the above colors - poiple glasses, Pingo, poiple!

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Apple sauce/coconut oil muffins just came out of the oven. They are looking as good as ever. This time I scattered sliced almonds on the top instead of the sugar/nut mixture. Wait 10 minutes and I can tell you how they are. DH is pacing in front of them. LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Small world!  Too bad I'm in the far corner of it...no chance of bumping into anyone out here.

pingo, your dh is more patient than mine if he is pacing and waiting.  My dh would be delving in too early complaining about burning himself and wondering why it's falling apart, lol.  I bet they will be as yummy as ever.  

Speaking of muffins, I need to run to the store and get eggs so I can replenish our stash.  I already have pumpkin cooked and ready to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok ladies, substituting the coconut oil for butter in the apple sauce muffins, didn't make a tad of difference in the texture or taste. I was contemplating to do half whole wheat flour, but decided it would make too much of an experiment at one time. When making them for us I cut the sugar in half. Didn't do it this time, as the person to receive them has a huge sweet tooth (baklava, fig bars etc.). These were a bit too sweet for us, and I feel less sugar give a better taste of the apples. I "over filled" the muffin tins this time (got only 10 form half the recipe), so they had a nice rounded top and the sliced almonds on the top make an elegant presentation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Next batch will be pumpkin muffins with dried cranberries. Have lots of pumpkin puree, so I may use the same recipe to make a bread. Then freeze the rest of the puree for later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fabulous, Pingo!  We are muffin sisters today - I just put more of those pumpkin muffins you posted the recipe for in the oven with the same changes I implemented the first time (honey, extra half ounce of flour, raisin, and walnuts) in the oven.  I'm pleased with how the coconut oil behaves in baking, too, especially in sweets.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

What a gorgeous Fall morning.  Seems as tho practically overnight the leaves have turned here - many bright yellows, looks so pretty with the sun shining through.

Disappointmet over no company yesterday.  Was hoping nephew would try calling back.  I'm wondering now if I had pressed that * whatever it is, if the number would have showed up, even tho it appeared "blocked" on my caller ID.  Should have tried it anyway.

Two luncheons this coming week - getting together tomorrow with my cousin and on Thursday with the girls I used to work with.  Feel as tho I should be saving these "outing" days for when they start hammering on my roof and I'll want to be out of here!

Enjoyed a nice cup of butter rum cream coffee this morning.  I remember buying a bag last year around this time too - seems a fallish choice to me.  Was delicious with raisin swirl toast with cream cheese.

Hoping you all have a nice day -

P.S.  Looking out this window I see "the last rose of summer" blooming on a small rose bush out front - some years I get a single rose at a time right up until November -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Too bad your company didn't show up yesterday, now that you had prepared for it. Interesting your nephew didn't try to call back. Maybe you did indeed mixed up a number.
    We had 3 very bright yellow trees Thursday outside our bedroom. One almost had to use sunglasses to look at them. They were gorgeous. But Friday's rain and wind took care of them, and yesterday there were just the bare branches with a few leaves here and there. We still have an orange/red maple further back. That one seemed to withstand the rain and wind. It looks like it is on fire.
    Butter rum cream coffee? Never heard of it. Sounds delicious. Where did you get it?
    Have they given you a timeline on when they will start your roof? I am sure they are anxious to get it done, while the weather is still nice.
    No excitement here today. DH is treating me out for breakfast this morning - then to the office for a few hours. I think he is bribing me, but that's ok. In this case I like to be bribed.
    Have a good day - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I won't have an idea of when they'll begin roof and stairs until I see him to give him the deposit check middle of this week.  I've seen his sign on a couple of other  homes around town, so I'm sure it will depend on when he finishes up jobs he's working on now.  Soon, I know.  Hoping the stairs are complete in time for the little trick or treaters (all 20 of them if I'm lucky!)

Got the coffee at Marshall's - you know, the place that had me sign up right on the spot for a rewards card but didn't ask you if you wanted to do the same ?? !!  LOL Just teasing you.  It's decaf, so might not be to your liking.  Bought some there last Fall and remembered it was delicious.

My red maple in the back is a dark maroon right now.  Can't remember if that's how it usually starts - I know it's brilliant red every year at some point.  Hasn't been yet.  One of the side streets around here had a chestnut tree and I always right up until a few years ago would go scoop up a couple and peel them to reveal their shiny brown skin.  Can't remember which street it was, but will have to drive in and out this week and see if the tree has still survived.  

Nice to go out to breakfast.  I enjoyed it at the diner at G.T.'s the night I stayed over.  Never go out for breakfast otherwise.

Back to my bedroom - polishing furniture and waiting for Cheerio to wake up off the covers so I can make the bed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This was in my e-mail this morning. Anyone recognize themselves?

The following write up  explains so much.................

"Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only  to  
     completely forget what that purpose was?  Turns out, doors
     themselves are  to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that  
    passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an event  boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next. Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the  previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale."
    It's not aging, it's the door!

Whew!!!!!!.... Thank goodness for studies..............and I thought it was my passing years!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Makes sense to me!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Globe magazine this morning had an article "The Kindness of Strangers", about how sometimes a random exchange with a stranger can make a difference in the way you're feeling.

The last paragraph speaks of how the rule of not speaking to strangers when you're little is a good rule, but ". . . . the older I get, the more I treasure these random exchanges.  And sometimes I think they're not as random as I used to believe."

True, isn't it?  Like sometimes these people are put in contact with us to help us that day.