October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: October 2012

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good morning! 

Pingo, gosh, that's so sad about the loss of your friend.  sounds like if they had been on top of things she could have beaten it.  

If you like cabbage, I believe you'll like Brussels sprouts if they are parcooked before you sauté them.  Half cooked sprouts are terrible!  Hope I'm right...let us know this it goes.

tt, good job at the cts!  That's  great program, and you're really on top of the Christmas list.  

Had a blast with SIL after her appointment for dinner and dessert at Mike's.  Their canolis are my favorite dessert on earth.  We went to Taranta for dinner.  Good for the adventurous not looking for traditional Italian...it was a unique menu of exquisitely prepared Peruvian-Italian fusion.  Excellent ingredients, preparation, a service, and atmosphere, but if traditional North End fare is what you're expecting, a disappointment.  I loved it and would return, but SIL not so much.

The sun is coming out...yay!

[/QUOTE]

Hi Kar..

Glad you enjoyed the North End. It is by far..my neighborhood in Boston. I try to get there once a month for lunch or dinner ( sometimes even breakfast).  I love the coffee beans from Polcari's so for sure I go when out of those.

I haven't tried Taranta but have passed it dozens of times as it is right next to a little jewelry shop I love.

Personally..I prefer the cannoli from Modern Pastry..but Mike's is very popular and I think they probably have more variety.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

miscricket,
    a couple of years ago, there were a long discussion in one of the other threads - I forgot which one - whether Mike's or Modern's cannoli were the better ones. It went on for days, but I don't think we ever got a conclusion. LOL
    I don't come to NE too often, and when I we do go everyone wants to go to Mike's. I am a non Boston driver, so DH would have to take me there. Unfortunately, he doesn't care for cannolis. So I don't think it will happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, everyone,

Busy day today for the kargivers.  Started off picking up a truck from Craig's list in Haverhill, an hour and a half from our house.  Then, returned and got right to making butternut soup for lunch. Cleaned up a gigantic mess in the kitchen afterwards (we actually drove to Haverhill yesterday, too, only to find DH had forgotten the cash...whoops!) that had piled up from baking muffins, making dinner, and then making soup.  Ack!  

That door phenomenon is very interesting.  I read that quote in Reader's Digest last week at the chiropractor's office.  Our brains are facinating.  

tt, I remember thinking in college that I thought it would be safe to "talk to strangers" and I never looked back.  Yes, of course, safe for kids to avoid anyone they don't know, but I"ve had moments with strangers that have been profound and I'm glad I let my guard down.

Ah, here comes DH...have a great night, everyone!

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, does that mean you now have another set of car keys to misplace? LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all, Had a nice weekend. Visited Mom on Sat. We had bought her a very expensive bracelet a while back from Jareds and it broke, so we went back there to get it fixed. I was dissapointed, as we have bought a lot of jewelry from them and I didn't like that it broke. Oh well. We then went to Not Your Average Joe's for lunch - my Mom loves that place. She got the vegetable spring rolls and I got a goat chees and onion tart, yum.  Of course we also enjoyed their yummy bread and had our bloody mary's!

Sunday of course was dedicated to the ususal chores, grocery shopping, paperwork for DH's business and NASCAR.  No complaints though!

Now back to the week.  What's everyone got on their plates this week?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning! 

Pingo, yes, very funny!  Dh handed me the key this morning and said that he doesn't want a repeat disaster and asked me to copy it, lol.

prin, what a great day despite the bracelet problem...that's too bad.  At least she knew it had broken and didn't lose it. I love nyaj's!  I used to go to the one in Needham on a fairly regular basis when I worked nearby.  Very creative dishes.  Goat cheese is one of my favorites - yum!

Today, I have my regular chiro appointment, and while in Worcester must pay the truck's sales tax at the rmv.  Hoping to reschedule lunch with trips' dad, and on that day hit the Framingham Trader Joe's for the wine replenishment.  Will cook the roast with the garden turnips, carrots, and potatoes after the butternut soup is gone.  Walking Thrusday with my friend and Gracie.  Hm, guess that's about it.  Although, I might make this the week I see the optometrist...I have a slight need for glasses that becomes apparent at night or in the rain behind the wheel.  I can easily pass the eye test, but I can tell I could use a little help.

another cuppa then on the stick to get to Worcester.

have a great day and week, everyone!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sipping black coffee (milk soured overnight!) and munching a cranraisin scone from a batch I made for myself yesterday.

Have an early morning appt and then meeting my cousin for the day.  Hope time allows for a game or two of cards at the end, miss my Spite and Malice.  Thursday getting together with former work pals for lunch, and one day, want to see if GD can "fit me in" for a session of baking Halloween cookies - these kids and their jam packed schedules!  Looking forward to next week-end and the Christmas Fair. 

Front yard is covered, and I do mean, covered, with yellow leaves this morning.  House across the street has not a one.  Have to remember to add leaf bags to my shopping that has to be done some time this week too.

Hope you all enjoy the day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Well I head to the bazaar with my tray of cookies only to find out that no one else has baked anything. So I put them on the pie/ice cream table and they sold the cookies for $1 each. Would have been nice to know this before I baked all night.

Took Yoda to the vet for his 1-year appointment. The doctor said he was over weight, he's a big cat (long and tall) she didn't really know what his weight should be. He weighed in at 14 pounds and 15 ounces and she said she'd like him downto 13 pounds. So she wants us to give him  3/4 cup of food a day in place the one cup he gets. Also, she said he has the beginning stages of gingivitis, so she has asked us to feed him special food half of his feedings. It's Hill Science T/D formula, and he seems to like the sample she gave us.

Pingo, has DS had basketball evaluations Saturday about 2 hours after his soccer game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Goodmorning,
    Yes the leaves are coming down abundant. Our lawns are covered too. We live high up, and are waiting for one good storm that will blow them all down the valley behind us (not the neighbors, our own land) then it is easier to get rid of the rest. We do own a blower, and until they ban them, we will uses it. But we are good neighbors and use it, when people are at work, which most are around here.
    This morning I have to go to the town hall and apply for an absentee vote for DS in UK. I did the same, while he was in Japan. I think they have changed the rules and he can vote on the net now. Will have to find out. Don't forget the debate tonight. Should be interesting. There is a lot at stake for both of them.
    SIL's birthday this week, so I need to find her a small gift. They are not much of gift givers themselves, but I always like to have someting for her. Maybe I will make a batch of Wowie cupcakes (no eggs) and get her a plant of some sort. She loves plants, but don't have a green thumb - not even a green pinkie. So plants don't last long in her house.
    Have to go back to Marshall's and exchange one of the tops. Will get the caramel rum coffee and the rewards card. Will peruse the gift department too.
    The applesauce muffins went with DH this morning, as he had to meet with the client today.

Hope Amber is doing well. Also missing mm, obie and tulips. Have you given up on BDC? Except for a few missing buttons, it seems to be working ok these days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, noone baked? That really stinks. Why this miscommunication? But at least your cookies must have made a nice income for the school, so nothing was lost.
    So how did DS make out for the basket ball? DS couldn't play due to his asthma (which he fortunately has outgrown), but he was manager of the basketball team, while in highschool with Chris Ford being the coach. Has lots of good memories.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He did ok, they score each kid (1-3) so they can make sure they don't have a whole teams 1 (the best of the best). First game is November 11th.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Winter:  PS: It is best to use a quality food, read up on Hills Science products before you decide to feed it to your pet, even though recommended by veterinarians.

http://community.petco.com/discussions/Cat_Discussion_Forum/fd03p00v02d1?q=hills+science&nav=search

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is the top of their line as far as low carbs and high protein, but there are other superior foods, like Evo-Innova, Young Again, Wellness Core, and Nature's Variety Instinct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Robin the Hills science is the t/d version for dental problems. He currently eats Blue Buffalo Adult food.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I was referring to all Hills Science products, prescription or otherwise, just google and do your own research,  that's all I'm suggesting.  Best of luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I know. Blue Buffalo doesn't make a dental care food. Royal Canin does, but it's not as good as Buffalo either. Brushing a cat's teeth is out of the question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

From what I've read and heard from cat owners, dry food of any kind doesn't do much to prevent dental disease.

I would just plan on getting the cat or dog a professional dental cleaning every 4 or 5 years (if needed).

Back in the day, people let their cats outside and they usually didn't last longer than 5 years, so we never had to worry about this stuff.

PS: Of course daily brushing is a big help, but not always an option. However if you start when they are kittens or puppies... they actually look forward to it (chicken flavored toothpaste)!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

ah, just the thought of our nemesis brushing cats' teeth - that should cut down on annoying posts from the experts....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I can't even hold my cat never mind brush it's teeth,

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I brush my dogs teeth every evening, 10 minutes out of my life,  my 12 year old dog required 1 professional cleaning when he was 5 years old (despite daily brushing) he is just starting to show some moderate tartar again , but he has other health issues to consider.

Before I did the daily brushings, vets would recommend cleanings about every 2 years (re: pets I have had in the past).

The average is 1 or 2 professional cleanings per the lifetime of the animal,  Not a big deal IMO. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

After our son paid for the first teeth cleaning ($$$$) for his cat showing sign of gingivitis - he decided he was going to brush the teeth. It is a two person job; but it can be done. So once a week or so, he and his wife dress up in scrubs and go to it. I watched them do it, while I was there. Initially there was a lot of biting and sqirming, but then the cat gave up an settled down and let them do their work. Son forcefully holding the cat and the open mouth; Dil brushing away.
    This was the older cat. The younger one has not let them do it yet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Robin, Dogs are much different then cats. My Vet can't even brush her cat's teeth.

Pingo, Yoda can't even be held and it took 20 minutes to capture him to take him to the vet, brushing teeth isn't going to happen. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I get it, so a professional dental cleaning about every 5 years (if needed) should do the trick.

I personally haven't found special foods, sprays or water additives that claim to prevent dental problems to be of any help.

But of course listen to your vet, hopefully they are up on the latest.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

A professional cat dental cleaning is very expensive, so I'll be trying other things before that happens. I have people braces to pay for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, how can you compare dogs to cats? Dogs like the attention. I brushed my dog's teeth too - not every day, but frequently. Easy job.

I don't blame you, Winter, for trying other methods.  Our son almost fainted, when he got the bill for the cleaning. Besides, he said it was worse of a trauma for the cat, than when he sit on him for the teeth brushing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

An uncomplicated dental cleaning for a cat or dog runs about  $300  http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/angell-boston/dentistry/dentistry-what-is.html