October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: October 2012

The article you posted said it costs between $250-$450 up to $1,000 if problems arise. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Do your own research,  I can only go by my own experience.  "IF"  is a big word!

You can trust your vet to recommend what is best for the pet... or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, our son paid twice as much. $600 plus for just the cleaning. The vet also wanted to "start" some kind of treatment for which our son said, "No, thank you". He knew from a neighbor, a treatment would easily run over $1000. A toothbrush was a lot cheaper. It is definetely not an easy thing to do on a cat, but it can be done, as long as the cat knows, who the boss is
    One big problem is, that while your pet in under anestesia, you are stuck and vulnerable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Robin, our son paid twice as much. $600 plus for just the cleaning. The vet also wanted to "start" some kind of treatment for which our son said, "No, thank you". He knew from a neighbor, a treatment would easily run over $1000. A toothbrush was a lot cheaper. It is definetely not an easy thing to do on a cat, but it can be done, as long as the cat knows, who the boss is
    One big problem is, that while your pet in under anestesia, you are stuck and vulnerable.

[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth...I just paid $324 for a complete cleaning on my younger cat. My vet gave me a quote up front..and stuck to it. I have a great relationship with him and he is always honest and fair with what needs/should be done. This is something I specifically looked for when searching for a new vet. I didn't want to feel like I was being "upsold" on services that were not necessary.

My older cat allows me to brush his teeth..so no issues with him. I do it once every couple of weeks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

miscricket, so glad for you, you found a vet you can trust. I had similar relation ship with my second vet, when we had a dog. I started with one near by. But I never felt good, when I left from there. Our dog was always scratching her skin to the point of drawing blood. The vet decided she needed alergy shots once a week to start, then cutting down to once a month later. To the tune of $15/shot. And at that time it was a lot of money. For what I know, he could just have given her saline shots; she was still scrathing like crazy.
    Well, later never came. I was introduced to another vet through one of our clients. A small distance to drive, but it was so well worth it. This guy told us to forget the shots. Give our dog probitics and a Tbs. of olive oil in her food every day. A Tbs. of brewers yeast would not hurt either. Three weeks later her fur was beautiful and no more itching.
    What I am trying to say is this, find a vet you are comfortable with. Rely on your instincts. If you do not feel comfortable, ask for recommendations.

I don't know about you guys, but my phone is driving me crazy to the point, I feel like disconnecting it. I just came back from work and it has been ringing off the hook since then. In fact, thats what I am going to do. Do we have an election coming up? LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

miscricket, so glad for you, you found a vet you can trust. I had similar relation ship with my second vet, when we had a dog. I started with one near by. But I never felt good, when I left from there. Our dog was always scratching her skin to the point of drawing blood. The vet decided she needed alergy shots once a week to start, then cutting down to once a month later. To the tune of $15/shot. And at that time it was a lot of money. For what I know, he could just have given her saline shots; she was still scrathing like crazy.
    Well, later never came. I was introduced to another vet through one of our clients. A small distance to drive, but it was so well worth it. This guy told us to forget the shots. Give our dog probitics and a Tbs. of olive oil in her food every day. A Tbs. of brewers yeast would not hurt either. Three weeks later her fur was beautiful and no more itching.
    What I am trying to say is this, find a vet you are comfortable with. Rely on your instincts. If you do not feel comfortable, ask for recommendations.

I don't know about you guys, but my phone is driving me crazy to the point, I feel like disconnecting it. I just came back from work and it has been ringing off the hook since then. In fact, thats what I am going to do. Do we have an election coming up? LOL

[/QUOTE]

Hi Pingo...it can be tough finding a vet you like and trust. I've had animals all of my life and have been to various vets and never trusted any of them like I trust this one...nothing worse than going to a vet who is a salesperson in disguise!

Too funny about the phone...thank God for caller ID. Numbers I don't recognize go right to voicemail always. In past years I never really got a lot of those political calls..this year it is a nightly thing. I'll be glad when this election season is over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice day yesterday, took my cousin to Legal in a late celebration of her birthday - which I completely forgot about this year!  Shame on me.   One of those new Container Stores is at the mall, but by the time we did the regular poking inside, never made it over there.  I have gift cards to spend at Macy's, and was hoping to find a casual Fall pant suit, but nothing was to be had.  I'll have to try the Route 1 one.  Different branches carry different merchandise.  Was hoping to have something for when I meet with the girls later this week, but guess I'll have to put together an outfit already hanging in my closet.

Now that the first leaf has fallen, it's an avalanche!  Every morning I get up to a heavier blanket on the lawns.

Winter, sorry about your bake sale - can't imagine why others did no baking?  Was there a meeting you didn't get to where they decided not to?  

"Stuff" to be done today, so it's another busy one.  Glad this good weather is holding out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, I guess the person in charge thought people were baking, but alas no one did. Hope you have a good "busy" day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Cool day out, but still sunny. Do your errands in the morning, if you have any; we are to expect rain this afternoon.
    tt, nice of you to take your cousin out for lunch at Legal's. That reminds me of the gift certificate to Legals DS and DIL gave us. I was hoping, they would come up and we could share it. Nothing special to celebrate right now for DH and I. Did you get a couple of hands of cards in? Spite and Malice? Never heard of it.
    Did anyone watch the debate last night? We started to, but DH fell asleep during the first segment. So I turned off he TV and went to bed. Reading the reviews this morning, we didn't miss much.
    Winter, seems like the "person in charge" was not much in charge after all. To be in charge of such function needs a lot of persuading and energy. I know; I have been there. But I guess this is your last bake sale anyway - isn't DS changing schools next year?
    Leaving for work shortly. Have a good day all - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, looks like another nice day.  Think this winter will be like last one?? Sure hope so.  I have had dogs and cats for years.....never ever brushed or paid to have their teeth brushed....my bf's husband paid $2000.00 to have their dogs teeth cleaned!!  My bf told me it was the first and only time that would happen.   Going to Foxwoods on Thursday....my new oxygen (liquid) should be much easier for me to handle, lots lighter.   Will report any winnings, like to win (who doesn't) but I enjoy going even if I don't.  Take care all and keep smiling, ss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

For what it's worth...I just paid $324 for a complete cleaning on my younger cat. My vet gave me a quote up front..and stuck to it. I have a great relationship with him and he is always honest and fair with what needs/should be done. This is something I specifically looked for when searching for a new vet. I didn't want to feel like I was being "upsold" on services that were not necessary.

My older cat allows me to brush his teeth..so no issues with him. I do it once every couple of weeks.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your positive experience about veterinary care,  I also have seen many vets over the years, some of them are cold and businesslike, but the funny thing is, often those are the ones that give the best advice.

Years ago I ignored a vets aggressive recommendation that I get my dog neutered, well guess what... he developed testicular cancer and the neuter cost 4x what it would have... had I listened to him.

Dental care/cleanings are considered routine now that pets live longer and there are more treatment options available.

That's why I recommend discussing pet health insurance with your vet, especially for first time owners.   http://www.petinsurancereview.com/101.asp

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

SS, good luck on Thursday. Hope you win big. Glad to hear you have settled the problems with your tanks. And a nice, lighter one to boot. So, after all, it was not so bad the other guy left you in the dark so to speak. Sometimes things happens for the better.
    $2000 for a cleaning? That is robbery, but I believe it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, my DS isn't switching schools, unless something should happen to our jobs, etc. Middle school starts in the 6th grade (whihc he's in) in our town so there was talk of moving him this year, but he'd like to finish up 8th grade where he is, since he's been there since Pre-K. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Winter, must have misunderstood you. If DS is happy where he is and doing well, by all means keep him there. From what I have learned from your posts, it sounds like it a wonderfull school. It can be quite a trauma switching schools.
    I believe that grade school and junior high are often more important than high school. Your dicipline for learning and homework is set in a young age. And that goes with you in high school and college.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes I told him as long as we are employed he could finish up there.  If my job should change he woudln't be able to go, but I'm not looking to move, so it shouldn't be a problem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My beautiful last rose was full open out there - went out this morning, waded through knee deep (only slight exaggeration) leaves, snipped it and brought it in to enjoy.  Has a wonderful aroma too.

Have a call in to see what cost would be to power wash back of house - have a lot of green formed on siding, I suspect because water is maybe leaking between gutter/siding and staining it.  Caulking of gutters will be taken care of when roof is done, but would like to get the "green" taken care of first.  Used to be a small enough amount and low enough that I could take care of it myself with a mop/suds and then hosing down.  Too big a job this year. 

Making lists of things I have to get to - like finding my Christmas baskets or containers.  Because the contents add up to a tidy sum, I try to keep the cost of each actual container down as low as I can.  In the past besides baskets I've used, photo boxes (Michael's), and wire baskets (which went over very big).  Have kept my eyes pealed, but haven't seen what I want yet.  Was even thinking large colanders or wooden bowls as the holding base - any ideas out there?  Have 6 to fill, so looking for individual "containers" keeping the cost under $5 each.  You realize we're shopping, Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, Big Lots, Job Lots, CTS, those kind of places.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I'll keep my eye out for something. What about a nice pot (for plants)?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, that's a good idea.  Hadn't thought of that.  Thanks.

(had used reply to post first and my whole post disappeared)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

CTS usually has these holiday themed plastic bowls - about 12" in diameter and 4" high - for a buck.  Use them with some cellophane and a bow and the chip bowl is part of the present!  Just a suggestion......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, Winters idea is great! The job lot had some very nice ones a couple of weeks ago (but of course they change with the lot they get) all sizes. Also, Michael's had some made out of resin this summer. I bought a couple for myself. You can't plant in them, but I placed a plastic saucer on the bottom and dump the nursery pot in them. They are not as heavy as the clay or stoneware, so they are a lot easier for me to handle.  Wish I could show you a picture. They are really nice.
    I once used a simple waste backet for my niece in college, and filled it with all kinds of snacks and baked goods. Plus tea and hot chocolate. She loved it. "Now I don't have to share a waste basket with anyone anymore and always be the one to empty it!". LOL

It s realy nice out today. My DH's car had problems with one of the tires. Didn't hold air. So it was kind of a lazy afternoon for us taking care of that problem. He has never done this before, but the last time he changed tires, he took out "tire insurance". I was so mad at him at the time, but not today. Two new tires didn't cost us a cent. He has all-wheel drive, and one needs to change both front or both rear tire (don't ask me why) at the same time. While we waited, we had a nice lunch someplace in Wakefield.

I am about to make Chicken Stroganoff. Anyone ever done that? I saw a recipe for it, while browsing for recipes to use cooked chicken, and thought, "Why not?"

Have a good evening all - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That is a good idea too, Hats.  I put red raffia in the container, fill with the gifts, and then put the whole thing in a clear cellophane bag from Michael's and tie with a Christmas ribbon - wrapped like an Easter basket for a kid would be.  I'll make a stop at CTS and take a look around.  

(Note to TT:  Go to CTS)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I like the idea of a waste basket, Pingo, but might be too deep for me to fill 6 of them.  I've got to make a stop at Job Lots, and will tie CTS in the same trip.

The man who cleans my gutters returned my call and will stop by Friday to take a look at my green siding.  He says it usually happens to houses that are in the shade.  The back of my house never never gets any sun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Not too big at all, tt. A couple of bags of chips and some homebaked goods will fill it. I had to remove some of the stuff I bought for it. Couldn't fit everything in it.
    Unfortunately our Tuesday Morning on Rt. 1 closed. They had some very nice inexpensive snuggies last week. I don't even know, where there is another one around. A snuggie would fill up a waste basket nicely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I like to fill each one with personal things to their interest that I pick up.  For pumpkin's mom's I have already, a "Good Karma" TShirt, a couple of monkey over the door hangers for pumpkin's things, a set of farm animal cookie cutters, animal print cupcake papers, purse size lint removers - - -just an idea of the direction I go when filling them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The baskets sound wonderful, TT, how great for your family to have you to think up indicidualized presents for them! 

I remember a special present I got from my grandpa once and it was very special not because it cost a lot - it didn't - but because he had heard me talking and remembered what I wanted, size, color, everything.  Well, it will be 45 years in December since I received that present, but I still think of them and him.....

Sections
Shortcuts