October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2012

Good morning, all,

tt, I love your stories of filling the baskets every year so I can only imagine the recipients' response!  Like hats, they will remember them with great love and appreciation for who you are in their lives forever.

hoping it stays dry for Gracie today as I'll be going east for the rescheduled lunch with trips' dad and doing errands beforehand.  I need to pay the sales tax on the "new" truck (1997), visit TJ's, and buy a new alarm clock; dh's finally croaked after decades of faithful service.

when I get back I'll be busy putting the roast and root veggies on and making mini apple pies.  I'd like to pop another tin of muffins in, too...we'll see.

so, have a great day, everyone!  Chat later. :)

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Thanks, Hats.  That's why I love Marshall's.  I wander through and see all these things and think, "Oh, Newton DIL would love that - Intown son likes that sort of thing - that would be cute for - - -".  Nice that you have that memory of your grandfather.  I think it's harder for men to pick out something for little girls.  I still have a purse my father picked out for me at a leather store when I was a teen.  It wasn't at all the style teenagers used, but because he had actually gone into a leather store himself and picked it out, it meant a lot to me.

Up early this morning, woke up around 4:00 a.m., but had slept soundly before that, so was ready at 6:00 to get up, and good thing, as soon as I snapped on the kitchen light, there was Harry looking for his breakfast.  I swear he sleeps under the shrub all night.

Hoping to get around and out early.  Have to be in later in afternoon for roof guy who is stopping by.  Sitting here making a list of different places in a radius that I can swing by today and what I want to look for at each.  Thank you all for your helpful hints on possible containers.

Have a couple more Halloween cards to pick up for grownups.  I think our friend who is undergoing chemo will get a handmade one.  She sent me the nicest card/note a couple of days ago.  What a lovely woman she is.  Who undergoing chemo in the third go round with cancer, would be writing, thanking people for their cards and thoughtfulness?  I have a special poem I wrote a couple of Halloweens ago that is funny, at least it was to me, and some Halloween fixins in my card box, and I know she will enjoy that.  She is the one who is so fond of G.T., in fact half the note from her was about how he makes her laugh (they text each day) and how creative and witty he is.  I pray God will spare her and leave her with us on Earth for many more years.  She brightens everyone's day who she comes in contact with.

On that note - - -

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    You are smart, tt, browsing the stores, before the holiday crowd gets there. Hoping to get to Marshall's today, but I know, it won't be until this afternoon. You will probably be home watching your shows by then.
    Going to SIL tonight. Will stop by TJ's to pick her up an orchid. They have a real good stock. With a couple of ice cubes every week, it will hopefully survive for a while. I think she can manage that. Made the wowie cupcakes last night.
    I also made Chicken Stroganoff. First time I used chicken. It was as good as the beef, lot more tender and took less time to cook. Will switch to that from now on.
    Have to make a batch of pumpkin muffins for DH's tennis team for tomorrow night. Either today or tmw. morning. Don't know, when I can squeeze that in. He promised them. Have to be at the office early today, and am ready to leave, but I still have time to get out the ingredients  for them. Then it won't take much time to do them.
    Have a nice trip East, Kar. And you all have a good day - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Busy little morning hear and I have a lunch meeting at 11:30. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Picked the right day to go out to CTS.  No traffic coming or going on Route 1.  Got there right at 10:00, few people in there, plenty of room to meander, stop, poke, and get quite a few things.  One thing I hadn't thought of were their cloth place mats - for the 2 younger married GD's, got each a set of those, and then some festive Christmas napkins to go with each color-wise.  Alas, no bowls, colanders, pots.  There were some clear bowls and at first I picked them up, but they really weren't wide enough at the bottom for all I put in - would have been topsy turvy.  I'll check back as it gets closer to Christmas.  A lot of Christmas decorations were going into people's carts.  

Came home and made a nice Eng. muffin pizza that just hit the spot.  May try to skip out again after Y&R, for just a bit.  Have a couple of phone calls to return before then.  Hope you're all having a good day.

BTW, there was a blond woman who seemed to be following me around in CTS - Pingo??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow, tt - sounds like you made out fine at CTS this morning. Placemats are are a great idea. One can always use new ones. I have been lucky at the Job Lot too. For $2 each, one can afford to throw them out more frequently. Some of them don't wash well - even the expensive ones. The inner padding/stiffener usually shrinks differently than the outer fabric.
    Your pizza muffin sounds fabulous. I shared a steak/mushroon sub w/ DH.
    No, it wasn't me chasing you at CTS. I am heading out now for my errands. Too late for me to make it to Marshall's so don't look for me this afternoon. Have to pick up raisins from TJ's for those muffins. I had left the jar out on the counter, and DH thought they were a great snack. That would have been fine, except I need them today. Glad I spent a few minutes this morning to get out the ingredients for the muffins, or they would have had no raisins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

TT - you are so thoughtful with your gifts.  I am sure they will mean so much to the recipients!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, sounds like you got lucky at CTS. I love English Muffin Pizzas, no I'm craving one, but I took steak out for dinner. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Princess.  Picked up a fancy table runner for one DIL's basket.  Looks just like her.  I hope she likes it.  I really enjoy picking out the stuffers as much as they do taking off the bows and seeing what's in there.  I don't put any name tags on the baskets and love seeing them sneaking peeks through the cellophane and guessing which one is theirs. **

Never got out again after lunch, and now I think it's too late to start out.

So that wasn't you in CTS, Pingo?  Maybe I looked suspicious and it was a security guard - lol.  Nothing up my sleeves, honest!

Mail just came and more bucket political junk.  The mailmen must be as tired of carrying that around and delivering it as we are of having it put through our mail slots.

** Should add - one DIL looks for the one that has glitz, frills, bling, and says that's hers - and she's right!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, wish I could post a picture of what I meant...I feel sure they were there....

This morning I made three pieces of toast.  It turned out to be 3 bears type toast = one was burned, one was just right, and one was untoasted and had to be put back in. Now the toaster has been wonky for years...but this week I was fed up.   So, I went out today and bought a new toaster.  Just had a perfect piece...didn't really want it but I did want to test the toast function.  And now I'm having a cup of tea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, does everyone always guess right? Your baskets sound so awesome, your family must love them so. I'll be heading out early today, DS has a doctor's appoinment, so if I'm not back on have a good night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

HaHa, Winter, no, they usually are off.  All have animals, so if there's chews for the dog or a food dish, that doesn't tell anything - only one that is completely different is the "bling" one.  One DIL loves tapanade, so if she spies that, she knows that basket is hers.  There is usually a paperback or book in each one - so really the only sure give away is the "bling".

ETA:  Last year, one basket, pumpkin's mom's had a pair of sneaker-like booties right in the front and they were all claiming that one!  I asked them if they had something to tell me - lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, there were a very few low big round plastic bowls there, but some sort of Fall design, not a solid color or clear.  I asked one of the floor walkers if there were any others and she said no.  I checked the dish/plastic areas good, but only found the ones I took and then put back.  I've still plenty of time.

I'm about ready for a cuppa too.  My toaster is the simplest of toasters and is slow, but dependable.  Just wondering what I will have for supper.  Want something warm but didn't take anything out of the freezer.  Was thinking cinnamon toast and applesauce - to start - !  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Hats, you had another "bridal shower today"?
    Funny, my 4 piece toaster went a couple of years ago. So DSs gave me a top of the line very expensive toaster for one Christmas.  It is truly a piece of junk. Don't work half the time and if it does work, it burns the toasts. Plenty of letters have gone back and forth. THEY believe, I don't know how to use a toaster. Imagine that? I finally gave up and bought the cheapest toaster I could find. It is working just perfectly.
    Raced around this afternoon. Picked up a couple of scripts at Costco. Peter told me the B12 for the shots I take monthly is not available right now. He was so aplogetic about it. Will call me, when he can fill it. Then to TJ's to pickup raisins (and cranberries) for the pumpkin muffins. Plus I got a lovely orchid for SIL.
    Muffins are in the oven and smelling delicious. Had to make them today, so they could cool off and be ready for packing tmw. morning, when DH pack his tennis bag.
    Oh yeah! Busy afternoon. Fortunately, I don't have to cook dinner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, that's a great line!  Will use it on DH when he comes home.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

H, ladies,

had a fabulous time East with trips' dad - he's the friend that I go the farthest back with in the fam...we started working together in 2001.  My, how life had changed for both of us.  I'm divorced and remarried, he's married with a toddler and three babies.  Who would have GUESSED how life would turn out for either of us??  It's a REAL friendship that thrives despite big life changes like that.  Not many do, and that's ok, just commenting.

speaking of that, a friend who I knew from work from 2000 (12 years?!) and I are getting together next week, and just as much has changed for us.  She worked for me, had a teething toddler who threw up because of teething and she had to pick her up, I ended up working for her, and now she has three kids, the oldest now 13...omg.  And, she doesn't work where we worked together, anymore.

life is strange and unpredictable despite all our careful planning.

I've got a roast in the oven due to come out a perfect 30 minutes before dh comes home with carrots and turnips from the garden tucked in around it.  Baked potatoes due to go in at 6:30.

got the fire going; it was 62 in here when I got home at 3:30, and it was only 63 an hour after I put the roast in the oven so there was little hope of it getting to 67 before bedtime without more help. You can guess where Gracie is, lol.

i can smell the meat...1 1/4 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup white table wine, 1/4 cup balsamic, a large turnip and a few carrots.  Yum!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

3 bear toast

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, I love that they all wanted her GD's basket with the booties. Your baskets sound wonderful, your family is very lucky to have you. Do you make baskets for the younger ones too?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

You're in work early this morning, Winter -

No, I make up a "family" basket for each son's family, plus one for each of my granddaughters who are married., a total of 6 baskets.  The kids get individual presents.  Instead of a basket, G.T. and partner each get a stocking filled (ones my mother knitted for my boys when they were little and that have  s t r e t c h e d from hanging over the years.  Yeah, I never did figure out why they all were drawn to the "bootie" basket, when GD was the only one who had just had a baby.  None of the others were pregnant.  Wishful thinking, maybe.

Today is lunch with my old work pals - old in that it was quite a few years ago now that we worked together, and old in that we are old!  Beats the alternative, as they say.  Going to try to squeeze a couple of things in before then, want to pick up some little Halloween thing for pumpkin, in case they do come down tomorrow.  I'll be kind of housebound waiting for power wash guy to come - if he finishes up painting he is doing in the burbs.

Kargiver, you had a wonderful day yesterday.  It is funny how our friendships go - sometimes lasting over years, and sometimes "going".  Different paths we take sometimes put an unbridgeable gap in our lifestyles and values.

OK, I've got to get a move on and get around so I can get out early and back in time to freshen up and head out again for lunch.  Looking forward to seeing "the girls", to catch up on all the goings on.  Have a good one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My DS had to get to school early today, he's in the choir and they have mass at 8, so I thought I'd check in. Have a nice lunch with your friends. The stockings that your mother made, that's great that they are still used and I'm sure G.T. and partner cherish them as well. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

tt, have a fabulous time with the "old" gals at lunch today!  

I've got to use the leeks dh picked...soup maybe?  Not much else on the docket today as of yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everone,
    Kar, DH is doing leeks? Did you said homegrown leeks? OMG, I am so envious - one of my most favorite "onions". I stick them in everyting, whenever I can - but they are so expencive to buy.
    It is so wonderful, Kar -  that you are keeping up with the trip's Dad. Sounds like you and he had a wonderful working relationship.
    Have a great time today, tt - with your work friends from back when. I wish I had friends like that around here. I still keep in touch with co-workers from the old times (48 years) on e-mail, but an ocean is between us, and it is not the same as meeting together. Whenever I go home for a visit, we try to get together. One has since moved to the US of A, and that is a blessing. She lives on the Cape, and we do try to get together every so often. Old friends are precious.
    Have a full day at work to day, so I will sign off. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Haven't been able to post for quite some time...trying again with my copied post:

Yup, home grown leeks.  We do save a fortune in grocery costs; I often check the prices of things we don't have to buy...very expensive.

Indeed, lifelong friends are precious.  Life changes dramatically and yet those truly special friendships remain steadfast.  That's great one of that gang moved to within driving distance, Pingo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Success!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Icer, glad you liked the toast!

Pingo, yesterday may have been bridal shower day, but today DH bought himself a giant TV which cost about 10x as much as my purchases....What day is that?