October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2012

That's along the same lines, Winter.  Love the idea of teaching them to take care of and look out for the younger kids.  There are so many advantages of going to schools like these, I can see so many teachings they enforce on a daily basis, that it becomes a way of life, I believe - hope. 

Off to do some last minute pressing and around 11:00 I should be able to start cutting and baking those little gingerbread guys.  have to snip some raisins in half for the eyes so they'll be ready too.  Hope my plan of putting a "1" in blue on each one works out.  Small space to work in.  If it doesn't look good I'll go to plan B - 3 blue star buttons down the front.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh yeah, SS, some of the recipients prize the mini-pans, and the ones who don't still like the bread.  Some people give them back to me after Xmas, carefully noting that they want bread next year,  and I put the pans under the bed, use them the next year and give them to someone else.  Keeps the old designs circulating too.

[/QUOTE]

I gave the pan back to G.T.'s MIL, because I knew I wouldn't be baking in it (never thought of the other uses you had mentioned), and she was really insulted.  Said that was part of the gift.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is part of the gift and I am a bit insulted.  But I know that one person in particular has a house full of extra people (Mother, MIL, SIL, foster kids) and really can not keep extra stuff.  She does not mean to insult me.  Other people have a low level of clutter tolerance.  I don't understand it but I accept it as one has to accept so many things these days, such as people who abuse their bodies, parents who allow their children to mutilate their toungues with studs, etc. So I just take it back and regard it as a dollar saved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Another way of looking at it, what I said to her, was that I was hoping for another delicious loaf next year -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

People often bemoan not getting their dishes back, and I think it's thoughtful for anyone to return your pretty pans, an obvious misunderstanding of the pan being part of the gift, not evidence of a low clutter tolerance.  It sounds pretty thoughtful for her to me to err on the side of caution regarding possibly keeping something you expected to get back by assuming you meant for her to keep it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats,
    It would never occur to me to return a gift. A gift is a gift, as far as I am concerned. We have received "horrible" useless gifts in the past. But I smile and say, "Thank you!" and tuck it away in our "for later box", until I have a chance to donate it someplace. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Or if it is really bad, I just throw it away. The only items, I would think of returning are those canning jars, I get gifts in. I don't can, and the jars are expensive (right, Kar?). But I always ask first, if they would like them back. They always welcome them back with a smile.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I have lost several pretty dishes, when bringing food to a party. When I asked for them back at the end of the night, the hostess reluctantly gave them back to me. Thought it was a hostess gift. But there were times, I couldn't ask. I learned my lesson quickly. Now I don't bring anything on a platter I love, but look for them at garage sales for later use or go to the Dollar Stores and pick up one of their plastic dishes. They sell hem cheaply. Then dress them up with some dollies. It solves the purpose; no loss.

ETA: I am already stocking up for the upcoming holidays. Marshall's and TJMaxx have some very nice ones for just a couple of bucks.

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People often bemoan not getting their dishes back, and I think it's thoughtful for anyone to return your pretty pans, an obvious misunderstanding of the pan being part of the gift, not evidence of a low clutter tolerance.  It sounds pretty thoughtful for her to me to err on the side of caution regarding possibly keeping something you expected to get back by assuming you meant for her to keep it.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're thoughtful, Pingo, to think about the canning jars.  They aren't very expensive, though, and I wouldn't particularly want them back because if your recipient uses metal utensils it invisbly etches the jar making them more prone to breakage when reused.  Also, if the rim has any slight imperfection the lid will not seal in the canner.  So, I like to can with jars I've had control over, but maybe not all canners would feel the same way.  Ask if they want them back, no worries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Like I said, I take them back and use them again.  No harm no foul.  Since I give away about 20 every year, I figure a 10% return rate (2/20) is low enough. 

Funny thing though is that when I see them at Goodwill they are priced higher than they were at CTS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wish I could eta, but just unsealing a jar with a metal knife, tapping the edge on the sink or faucet while washing, scraping the sides with a spoon...even if there's no visible damage it might break later.  You aren't even supposed to wash them in the dishwasher with detergent because it etches them. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe you won't be insulted anymore, though, hats.  She's not willing to assume it's hers to keep, and I think that's admirable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like I said, I take them back and use them again.  No harm no foul.  Since I give away about 20 every year, I figure a 10% return rate (2/20) is low enough. 

Funny thing though is that when I see them at Goodwill they are priced higher than they were at CTS!

[/QUOTE]

Funny, Hats, I've seen them at the Salvation Army store for a few bucks too!

I'm tired!  Batch after batch and I'm still cutting and baking.  Have to stop pretty soon and get something to eat and rest a little before trekking out to doctors.  Think I 'll quit at 1:30.  However are made then, that will be it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I understand your predicament, tt. Lots of work for you. Fortunately, the leftover dough freeze well. Then you can do the rest of them w/o having to rush. How did the #1 came out, or haven't you gotten to thet yet? I think the 3 stars will look nice too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm done.  Quit at 12:30, which is what I meant to say.  Some dough left over, but have wrapped and frozen that.  46 little ginger bread boys, not numbered yet, cookies have  to  be good and cool before doing that.  If there's time and I'm not too tired when I get home later will try a couple to see how they look.  Otherwise there is always Sat morning to number them.  Need to rest for my "doing the town" tomorrow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good you can rest before you go - you've been working non-stop, tt, and would want a nap instead of a party when you got there with no rest beforehand.  Nice day for a nap...

no nap for me, though, as I have to run to Worcester fera couple of errands.  Gracie will take care of the napping around here today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Funny about the jars, Kar. Who would I be to know. But I can totally see your point. However, whenever I have returned them, they have been happily accepted back. Hope no one got sick from my reused jars. From now on, I will be more careful that the jars have no nicks in them. 
    I have never opened them with a knife, but some of them is almost impossible to let go of the vacuum. What is the best method to open them? I can't believe, you can't pop them in the DW. One should think the sanitizing cycle would be good. But again, I am no canner. I will leave it to the experts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Pingo, no worries about the jars you gave back.  They will not make anyone sick and it's very unlikely that they'd break from tiny scratches.  I'm just saying that it's not a big deal if you just keep them.

To open a new jar, since you cannot reuse the lids and they will never be needed to make a vacuum seal, again, you can damage the lid a little to open them (it will still be fine to close the jar).  Remove the ring and take the butt of a knife and tap quite hard around the top of the lid above the rubber seal/jar top to bend it a bit to break the vacuum.  It should pop off with less pressure after you bang around the top.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, that sounds good. My DH opened one impossible one for the both of us, by taking a skewer and simply punch a small hole in the lid. Voila! The seal broke and we could enjoy the jam. It was awesome peach jam from our DIL. To close it again we simply put over a piece of plastic and then the ring. Since no one use an entire jar of jam on 'one good toast' (to copy Hats), our DIL always uses the smaller jars for that and tie a couple together for give aways.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Coffee and sunlight - it's going to be a good day.  Bye Bye TT, have fun, love to all this holiday weekend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, enjoy your trip and the party. I probably won't be on until Tuesday since I get Monday off. Going back to orthodontist Monday to see exactly the treatment my DS needs and the costs, etc. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Woke up this morning to a thick fog and of course thought of tt and her listening to the fog horn. But now it is sunny out. Looks like it is going to be a nice day for an out-of-town trip. Enjoy it, tt.

We have Monday off as well. But not for DH and I. Moving day! Someone was looking for space in our building. And we decided it would be feasible, if we leased out half of our floor, where we keep office. We don't need this much space any more - it is nice to be able to spread out, but we really don't need it. So walls are coming down - others erected - and we will move into smaller quarters. Will be a challenge.

This morning we had 3 employees calling in sick. Hmmm! Friday before a holiday? They were just fine yesterday. We do have in our employee manual, that a sick leave before or after a holiday will be considered a vacation day. We hardly ever reinforce it, but I think this time we may. It is up to DH's descretion.

Hats, sitting here in the sunlight w/ my cuppa, I feel it is going to be a good day too.
    Have several errands to run. Good day for it. You all have a good one - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, it is tough sometimes though. I've woken up very sick before, day after the holiday and I had to call in sick. My company has the same policy, but they look at the indivdual to make the decision, since I don't call in sick very often they paid me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, we do look at each individual case as well. That's why it is to DH's descretion. Someone like you, who rarely call in sick, would get a paid sick day. So would our employees, who have worked for us for ages. We know them in and out and know, they wouldn't call in sick unless they were really sick.
    But these are fairly new employees, who have done it before: taking a longer holiday vacation. On their sick day after the laborday holiday, they were paid and "talked to". One should think, they would remember. They do have vacation days after all. And that is what we are going to mark them down as.
    Believe me, being an employer is not easy. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Makes sense Pingo. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd enforce that rule, too, but like winter says, sometimes it works against the honest folks who really are sick.  What can ya do, you have to enforce the rules that wouldn't need to be there if everybody were honest...and, too many aren't.

spent the day with the trips' mom and 2 yo.  I'm so blessed to know them and have them count me among their closest friends.  they are doing fantastic.  I'm pooped.  Not sure how she does it every day, but then she's always had more stamina than I have.

good night, all - signing off

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi guys....We r home..heavy sigh...I love it here...but I'm glad we went. You never gain new experiences by staying on the ame path...but I just love my path...

TT