October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: October 2012

Icer, it is good to hear you say that, guess the trip was successful in helping you to reflect on the good and rise above the bad.  When you make some decisions, let us know where your path is leading.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Icer, it is good to hear you say that, guess the trip was successful in helping you to reflect on the good and rise above the bad.  When you make some decisions, let us know where your path is leading.

[/QUOTE]

Will Do...i am kind of a "can do" spirit

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to hear you had a good time, Icer. But no matter what, home is always home.

Somehow, I thought you would spend a day w/ the trips, Kar - now that DH was away. Their mom definitely has a tough job, but she gets through it every day, because she has to. To have you come, give her a bit of time off and some adult conversation. Your friend must feel blessed to have a friend like you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome home, Icer, and best wishes as you figure out what's next!  Change scares me, but life without it is just a tad scarier so there ya go. :)

Pingo, funny you should say something about her need for adult conversation - she said the exact thing this time.  And, we do talk so easily, like we're real sisters.  We can say ANYTHING to each other and value one another for that special trust.

Looks like a fabulous day ahead.  Gracie will be heading to the farmers market then taking a four mile walk with a dear friend a few streets over.  Not sure what else.  DH will be away through Sunday night...

have a great weekend, everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I meant Gracie and I will be heading to the market, hahaha!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning All,

Welcome back Icer. I know what you mean, we love Vegas too!  Nothing too exciting here.  Going to see Mom today.  Haven't seen her in 2 weeks, so it will be nice to see her.

In regards to sick days, my company just gives us one "bucket" of time.  We use all of that for holidays, sick days and vacation days, so it doesn't really matter if you are sick or not, you use a vacation day.  At first I was not too fond of even having to use a vacation day when the company is closed (like on Christmas, for example) but it all works out in the end.  The company is only closed for 6 holidays per year, so it's no big deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, that's the only perk of PTO, I think, but it is convenient in that way. On the flip side you're always rerluctant to use any, wondering if you're sick enough to burn a day or if you should drag yourself in sick to save vacation or to have saved for another time when you're even sicker.  I can't think of a better solution, though, that serves both the employers' and employees' needs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Icer, Welcome back now you can have coffee anytime...It's nice to see new places, but like Dorothy said, "theres no place like home."    ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    What a banner day tt had yesterday at the Cape. Wonder if she came back home last night. If she did, I hope they didn't get stuck in the traffic. 35 miles long back up on the expressway and bumper to bumper on the rest of our HWYs. If at home she will be decorating gingerbread boys right now.
    Princess, I like your company's idea about giving you a "bucket" of time off. You must be working for a large company. In a small business like ours, it won't work that well. B/c a lot of our work is team work. So we need to place the holidays, where they belong with everyone off.
    I think we are very generous as far as paid days. We have 10 paid hoiidays, 5 paid sick leaves and 3 weeks of vacation. Not many companies offer that. The problem is, as Kar mentioned, the dishonest employees. As far as sick time is concerned, we also look at that by each case. One of our long time employees had back surgery, and was out for two months. He used his 3 weeks vacation, his 5 sick leaves and we paid him for the reminder. Another employee's wife had breast cancer, and at the end only came to work, whenever he could. We never cut his paycheck. Loyalty and being honest counts.
    DH already left for work trying to meet a deadline. I may go in later, as I was not at the office yesterday. Paperwork is always accumulating.
    Gracie, enjoy your farmers market and you 4 mile walk. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

1.5 hour trip yesterday - took 4.5 hours - and we cut off on back roads quite a bit of the time.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The two giant defense companies both went from separate vacation and sick time to PTO while I was there, one in 1998 and the other in ~2001.  I think the larger companies who can't possibly handle things like that on a case by case basis have gone to PTO because of the rampant abuse of sick time they can't afford, and I really can't blame them, but for anyone with a chronic or recurrent health problem it really stinks.  The "healthy" people got four extra vacation days out of it, and those with asthma, migraines, etc., hoarded time off "just in case," and use time off for fun at their own risk.

just spent an hour on the phone with Bank of America getting a new credit card because my current one is being discontinued at the end of this month, and I didn't care for any of the others that Citibank offered.  Would have liked to not switch banks, but it comes down to the rewards, and BOA blew Citibank away.  I despise change...very nerve wracking, but I think we'll do better than before with this one so I shouldn't complain.  The rep was very helpful and pleasant, too.

ok, now that that business is taken care of, gotta get ready and take Gracie out.  She's sighing and pacing like a bored teenager.  Thanks, I'll tell her, Pingo. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I believe if the employee provides a drs note (standard form letter) that says the person was unable to work on the day in question due to a medical condition,  then denial of granting a sick day could be viewed as harassment or discrimination.   Certan medical conditions tend to exacerbate,  before, during and after holidays.   As someone who has had a long work hx, I just wanted to add my 2 cents, not trying to be difficult.

PS:  Obviously if an employee uses an excessive amount of sick time, when the employee  evaluation comes up, you can present the facts: you used blah blah # of sick days within the time period of blah blah, therefore we feel you are unable to perform the duties as required of your position and we have to let you go...   If they are new employees on probationary status then a different protocol may apply. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I'm sitting down, just finished pressing out clothes to wear, and the gingerbread boys have their "1"s and are air drying (I hope), before putting them on the tray for delivery.

Had a wonderful day at P'town, when we got there around 11:30, it was socked in with fog from the time we hit Truro.  In a couple of hours the sun had broken through and it was a beautiful day.  No fog horns, drove down to the Point, but not a one could be heard.  I told the boys if they could hear it while we were walking in downtown area, to let me know, but they couldn't hear any either.  Had lunch at the Crown and Anchor, did all the shops except the galleries at the top of Commercial Street.  Found a book for oldest son in an old used book store that's right across from where we had lunch - remember it being there even when G.T. lived in Town. Got Cheerio a couple of toys from Friends of Heart, fudge and Halloween candy at the Penney Candy.  No other purchases that I can think of off hand.  Did see a couple of TShirts I would have liked to get for someone, but can't do one and not another.  Also a doormat which was the perfect one for oldest, but it was about $10 over my comfort zone.

Icer glad you had a chance to do some thinking about your future.  Hope you can make a comfortable decision.

Kargiver, I know all too well what you mean about hating certain kinds of changes.  We (I) always second guess myself when I've made one.

Oh, the drive home.  Well, we stopped by the winery in Truro - the grapes were hanging from the vines, btw, and left there about 4:30.  It usually takes 2 1/2 hours to get home - we pulled into my driveway at 7:45!  Bumper to bumper, both north and south.  G.T.'s partner is so good driving, such a patient guy when it comes to getting stuck in backups like that.  Me and G.T. not so much.

Talked with DIL last night when I got home and again this morning.  She had more reconstructive surgery related to her breast cancer.  2 1/2 hours, this was cosmetic, but something that was really bothering her, and after all she's been through, I say go for it.  They won't be at pumpkin's party today, still a little nauseous, and remains of a headache and of course bruised and feeling like she had been run over by a steamroller.  She said my son is taking good care of her with "Nana"'s chicken soup he had in freezer.

Guess that's all the catchup.  Looking forward to this afternoon.  Have a good week-end all.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, your DIL has gone through so much of the same as my SIL, sadly, with the breast cancer and at the same time.  My SIL just had the last of her cosmetic surgeries that followed the absolutely necessary operation.  Painful stuff, but I encouraged her the same way you did your DIL, to go for it.  They deserve to look and feel their best.

hats, nice poem!  Good thinking to copy it.  Bdc doesn't always follow their own rules and often wrongly deletes reported posts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Great poem, Hats. I so agree with your and your Dad's sentiment: if not asked for an opinion, don't give it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I thought that was what a public forum was for?  To exchange ideas, opinions and information.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're right, it is, Robin, but not to have every innocent conversation dissected and responded to not for the sake of giving the poster's honest opinion, but to cause controversy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, where was my brain, tt?  I meant to comment on what a wonderful trip you had - fabulous!

robin, when you feel the need to quality your post with the fact that you aren't meaning to be "difficult" you are acknowledging that you usually are meaning to be difficult. most times you join the conversation simply to disagree with something and then get all in a huff when we tell you repeatedly that jumping in simply to be contrary isn't welcome. 

bdc, she'll report this post, but it's not only the truth, but it doesn't break any bdc rules.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Qualify, not quality, your post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@tt: I guess you guys would prefer to have only people respond to your comments that agree with your opinions, right or wrong.  For example your dr told you to stop eating sugary desserts, however you continue to talk about all these treats, and your fellow posters appear to support and encourage you to consume them,  so if anyone were to advise you not to eat that crap, I suppose you would consider that controversial! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What happened to Hats' poem? BDC moderator - did you delete it? it was quite harmless, and did not break any of BDC's rules. Let's get it back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We need our ignore button back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@tt: I guess you guys would prefer to have only people respond to your comments that agree with your opinions, right or wrong.  For example your dr told you to stop eating sugary desserts, however you continue to talk about all these treats, and your fellow posters appear to support and encourage you to consume them,  so if anyone were to advise not to eat that crap, I suppose you would consider that controversial! 

[/QUOTE]

Who died and made you queen of the Chat?  Why is it your job to tell someone what to do? Why have you no respect for your elders?  It's not your job, and if there's an election for queen, TT would win. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Robin, you obviously lurk enough, presumably to be quick on the contrarian draw, to know we don't always agree with each other.  And, if you can't wrap your mind around the fact that randomly jumping in here and there simply to be contrary isn't welcome behavior, explaining it over and over won't help you understand.    

Bdc, before you consider deleting this, as I'm sure it's being reported, take a closer look.  Who doesn't understand that jumping in randomly to any forum or conversation out of the blue with argumentative contributions is unwelcome?  It's obnoxious, and we don't like it.  Please let us say so.  We're being respectful, and for someone who says we can't take contrarian opinions she can't handle this discourse without reporting it?  ironic, don't you think?