October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2012

Amber can still only post from the library, I think, but it's odd she was there at that hour.  That was the middle of the night, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Chilly one, tho it is!  Slept with window open last night and was awake early this morning to close it once I could convince myself to stick a toe out from under the covers!

Amber, when I saw your avatar I got all excited, but then saw you couldn't actually post anything.  Princess is right, we think of you so often.  Hopefully BDC will have the problem corrected soon and we'll be back enjoying your posts.  You're missed.

Glad you didn't jump to Ache's taunt, Hats, he's just hoping to get a rise out of you.  When I used to post my rhymes, he and one of his cronies (or was it a sock?) used to do the same to me.  I keep them to myself now, for fam and friends.

Good Fall day for apple crisp.  Your banana bread with the cranberries and pecans, btw Hats, sounds delicious.  I never buy pecans, have never baked with them.  I agree with you about the "control" feature of baking your own - I feel the same, only my concern is always the salt content. - I'd love a piece of your banana bread this morning - my freezer supply of topper offs to breakfast is gone.  Definitely time for baking today.  I'll have to check my pocketbook and see if any more of those gingerbread boys hid in there!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, I seldom add salt to my baking.  I know it is a flavor enhancer but I think 3 large bananas is enough flavor.  (Also I use salted butter because it's a PITA to keep unselted around.  The banana bread was made with veg oil, though)  I do add vanilla, which was not called for, and is also a flavor enhancer.  I add it to almost every muffin and bread recipe.  I also add vanilla to pancakes and waffles.

I prefer walnuts to pecans, but there they were in the freezer in the same bag as the walnuts so I said, why not?  We had a slice last night, hot out of the oven, and it was to die for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

After my oatmeal this morning, I had to settle for a couple of choc chip cookies left down at the foot of my cookie jar (a hippo).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Happy Sunday Morning everyone :-) I hope you all don't mind me dropping in! I am trying to get used to my new reading glasses so have been reading all the back and forth here since I think I've been spending too much time in the politics forum and the closer to the election we get, the less time I plan to spend there.

IHaveMyHats...one thing I've learned over years of trying to battle weight and trying to eat healthy is that most of these food fads are just that. You're comment of "eat margarine, no eat butter" is the perfect example. Everyone has different things that work for them and for the past few years I have followed a lifestyle that favors "whole foods" over processed ( or man made) foods. This means there is no margarine in my house..no artificial sweeteners, etc.  I use butter, but don't go overboard..I eat sweets ( recovering chocoholic), but don't go overboard..etc..etc.. I guess the bottom line is everything in moderation.

Also..to all the ladies here..one thing I have learned since the "ignore" feature has been temporarily disabled is that I have an amazing capacity to ignore those who are simply here to cause controversy. It takes practice..but it can be done. One thing I've learned in years over participating in various discussion forums is that people like that are simply looking for attention and it's better not to reward their bad behavior by giving them any attention.

Well..just my two cents. Hope everybody has an enjoyable Sunday. Off to Newburyport for the day..think I'll definitely need a sweatshirt today !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Princess, at the party yesterday, a lady told me she had taken my advice and checked out pharmacy price on eye drops her mother has to use before and after cataract surgery - she saved $75 (from what mother's regular pharmacy quoted) on 2 scripts!  Just thought Peter might be pleased to know another satisfied customer sent his way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Miscricket, welcome - enjoy your day.  Think the sun is supposed to stay out, so that will warm things up a bit, but you're right, a sweatshirt day definitely.

P.S.  If you hear any foghorns there, let me know - missed them down at P'town last Friday.  Love that sound.  Part nostalgia, I'm sure, of the days when son lived there and I would spend a week-end, but a sound that warms me nevertheless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, a bit chilly out, but lots of sunshine.  tt...my favorite sound is the whistle of a train when it is dark!!  There is a railroad crossing not too far from us and at night when I hear the whistle I just sit there and enjoy......guess it reminds me of when I was much younger, the trains ran behind our house.    When I make chocolate chip cookies I always use pecans, its a whole nother tasting cookie..  take care all. ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Nice to see your post miscricket. Welcome! You are safe here, no politics. Long post bursting with wisdom.
    Ache, who are you to criticize Hats' poem. Do you have a PhD in poem writing? Hats is not your student. Hats did a great job; what she felt came across. And today's poems need not rhyme. Just listen to the lyrics of the songs written these days.
    I should have thought of adding cranberries to my banana bread. Speaking of cranberries, I made an awesome chicken salat yesterday from left over Costco rotissery chicken. Chicken, pecans, cranberries and celery. Yum!
    Kar, you must be happy to get DH back tonight. Are you planning a special welcome dinner?
    So tt, what will you be baking today? Re baking. Btw. you do need salt in your baked goods. It not only enhances the flavor, but it part of the chemical reaction and it improves the texture. You don't need much. I had 1/4 teasp. in my banana bread yesterday. Which means, we will get about 1/14 of a quarter teasp. in a slice of bread. I don't think that will raise our BP.
    Was thinking of taking a trip up north today to watch the colors. Friends have invited us, but they are good two hours away. Too far for a day trip. Don't like to drive home late night, especially w/ all the holiday traffic. We may just pull on sweat shirts and go to Rockport or Gloucester.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Looking for frozen meatloaf slices I knew were in freezer, came across the bag of chopped pineapple - had a recipe for pineapple bread I had torn out from some magazine - wonder if that's still around.  Maybe made into muffins with the same nut topping I use on the fig squares??  Or, maybe there's a recipe around for pineapple squares, that would be good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And I saved $35 yesterday on one script (one month supply). A 45% savings from my on-line Pharmacy. It sure is convenient to get 3 months supply right at your door, but not for a $105 savings.

ETA: The Costco Pharmacy does not require you to be a Costco member.

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Princess, at the party yesterday, a lady told me she had taken my advice and checked out pharmacy price on eye drops her mother has to use before and after cataract surgery - she saved $75 (from what mother's regular pharmacy quoted) on 2 scripts!  Just thought Peter might be pleased to know another satisfied customer sent his way.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate) and baking powder (baking soda plus cream of tartar) have large amounts of sodium in them. 

My recipe called for 2.25 tsp of baking powder so I think there was enough sodium there....it came out great, high and puffed- so again, my feeling is that there is seldom a need to add table salt to baked goods based on the recipe, and also whether one is using salted butter.  I use butter in all recipes except muffins and quick breads, where I use vegetable oil.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't add salt to my recipes or to my general cooking.  Grew up in a household where my mother because of high b.p. did not use salt, so I never miss it in cooking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, mc, long time no see!  Hope you and yours are well.

pingo, yes, I'm happy dh is returning tonight - so quiet and lonesome when he's away.  He asked for and will get, of course, chicken butternut soup.

speaking of which, I need to go get the chx.

tt, what is the fate of the pineapple, have you decided?

I've been busy today since I'll be returning to the trips tomorrow; they have guests coming and, well, you know what that entails and she's always got her hands full, literally!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In town son just left, I was getting his advice about this roof thing.  Sent half the apples I bought at Brooksby home with him too - me and my apple crisp aspirations!

Yes, decided I will take my fig square recipe and cook up the pineapple with sugar and pineapple juice instead of water, making, I hope, a filling and try pineapple squares.  If it looks as tho it's not getting the right consistency, will save it for over cake/ice cream.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Happy Sunday Morning everyone :-) I hope you all don't mind me dropping in! I am trying to get used to my new reading glasses so have been reading all the back and forth here since I think I've been spending too much time in the politics forum and the closer to the election we get, the less time I plan to spend there.

IHaveMyHats...one thing I've learned over years of trying to battle weight and trying to eat healthy is that most of these food fads are just that. You're comment of "eat margarine, no eat butter" is the perfect example. Everyone has different things that work for them and for the past few years I have followed a lifestyle that favors "whole foods" over processed ( or man made) foods. This means there is no margarine in my house..no artificial sweeteners, etc.  I use butter, but don't go overboard..I eat sweets ( recovering chocoholic), but don't go overboard..etc..etc.. I guess the bottom line is everything in moderation.

Also..to all the ladies here..one thing I have learned since the "ignore" feature has been temporarily disabled is that I have an amazing capacity to ignore those who are simply here to cause controversy. It takes practice..but it can be done. One thing I've learned in years over participating in various discussion forums is that people like that are simply looking for attention and it's better not to reward their bad behavior by giving them any attention.

Well..just my two cents. Hope everybody has an enjoyable Sunday. Off to Newburyport for the day..think I'll definitely need a sweatshirt today !!
    [/QUOTE]

One thing you apparently havent learn over the years is how to transition from one idea to the next without using the same lame expression over and over again

Thanks for your input though, and welcome

Maybe one day hats will write a dumb poem about you too...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ache, who are you to criticize Hats' poem. Do you have a PhD in poem writing? Hats is not your student. Hats did a great job; what she felt came across. And today's poems need not rhyme. Just listen to the lyrics of the songs written these days.
    [/QUOTE]

No, pingo

But I dont have a Phd in waste management either. That doesnt mean I cant recognize garbage when I see it

I am surprised you enjoyed such a trashy poem. I thought you had better taste than that...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Having a boring day, Ache?  Nothing to do?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Ache, I hesitate to mention this,  The Fantasticks is on This TV right now!

Jonathon Morris rocks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Okay, Robin. Thanks lol

I will try to watch a little of it this afternoon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I think it more like a sour stomach (combined with boredom of course).

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Having a boring day, Ache?  Nothing to do?

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Got the chicken, now to baking it, the squash, and onions for the soup.  Things are coming together nicely.  Can't wait for dh to return.  Brrr, cold out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's warmed up here, was surprised when son left.  Sun has gone in again now.

Devised my own pineapple filling and used the fig square recipe for the rest.  In oven now baking.

Today is flying by for me, can't believe the time.  Still a lot to do.  Haven't even thought of supper, grabbed just a slice of meatloaf warmed up, a slice of sharp cheese, and a cup of coffee for lunch.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

TT & Pingo - glad to hear of good things on saving $ on scripts!  I'll pass the word along.  Haven't seen Peter in a while, but I may soon.

One thing that I have learned, with all of my health issues, is that everyone is different.  I was actually hospitalized again last week (argh), for low sodium.  Everything is okay now, but believe it or not I have to take sodium pills to keep my sodium level up!!!  Both my parents have/had high bp and I have always watched my sodium intake.  However, with my Crohn's disease my sodium level gets very, very low.  The specialst that I saw told me to eat as much salt as I can, especially V8 and bullion.  I questioned him, saying all we ever hear is how bad sodium is for you.  The reality - everyone is different and no "advice" is  good for everyone.

I'm not going to harp on this, but it is just a sensitive issue for me. 

As for today, went out for a nice lunch with DH, now enjoying the NASCAR race with a snuggly Tillie on my lap!  Have my fall candles burning. . . .a wonderful day!!!

25. This post has been removed.