October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2012

Nice post, Princess.  Your doctor is right, everyone is different, and not all advice is relevant to each of us.  Sorry you were hospitalized again, but good to know you're back home now and feeling good.

Squares are out and cooling.  The test will be in the tasting.  

Wash to do and Cheerio's box to take care of.  Harry has been back and forth for snacking 3 times so far today, the last time with sleepy eyes on the top stair, talking to come in.  His stretching out his paws on the storm door was all Cheerio could take, she'll have none of that.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, did you have one of your posts deleted? Yes, BDC please tell us, what rules we break. So far in this conversation/discussion we have followed the rules to a "T". I didn't see Ache's deleted post, so I can say anything about that one, but Kargiver gave her opinion both respectfully and politely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The one of mine that got deleted told prin about the celtic sea salt my aunt recommends for her low sodium patients and then told robin I'm not interested in arguing and know prin is smart and can research it all by herself.  Poof, it was gone.  I essentially reported it above, so I guess bdc decided it wasn't against the rules, after all.  Argh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not reported, reposted it.  Autocorrect is at it, again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Miscricket, welcome - enjoy your day.  Think the sun is supposed to stay out, so that will warm things up a bit, but you're right, a sweatshirt day definitely.

P.S.  If you hear any foghorns there, let me know - missed them down at P'town last Friday.  Love that sound.  Part nostalgia, I'm sure, of the days when son lived there and I would spend a week-end, but a sound that warms me nevertheless.

Hi Toytrumpet..thanks and sorry no foghorns today. I love that sound too ( definitely nostalgic on my part). Regardless it is one of my favorite places to visit. I love all things ocean related :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Good morning,
    Nice to see your post miscricket. Welcome! You are safe here, no politics. Long post bursting with wisdom.
    Ache, who are you to criticize Hats' poem. Do you have a PhD in poem writing? Hats is not your student. Hats did a great job; what she felt came across. And today's poems need not rhyme. Just listen to the lyrics of the songs written these days.
    I should have thought of adding cranberries to my banana bread. Speaking of cranberries, I made an awesome chicken salat yesterday from left over Costco rotissery chicken. Chicken, pecans, cranberries and celery. Yum!
    Kar, you must be happy to get DH back tonight. Are you planning a special welcome dinner?
    So tt, what will you be baking today? Re baking. Btw. you do need salt in your baked goods. It not only enhances the flavor, but it part of the chemical reaction and it improves the texture. You don't need much. I had 1/4 teasp. in my banana bread yesterday. Which means, we will get about 1/14 of a quarter teasp. in a slice of bread. I don't think that will raise our BP.
    Was thinking of taking a trip up north today to watch the colors. Friends have invited us, but they are good two hours away. Too far for a day trip. Don't like to drive home late night, especially w/ all the holiday traffic. We may just pull on sweat shirts and go to Rockport or Gloucester.

Love Rockport and Gloucester. Did you wind up visiting? Sweatshirts were definitely needed by the ocean today!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Hi, mc, long time no see!  Hope you and yours are well.

pingo, yes, I'm happy dh is returning tonight - so quiet and lonesome when he's away.  He asked for and will get, of course, chicken butternut soup.

speaking of which, I need to go get the chx.

tt, what is the fate of the pineapple, have you decided?

I've been busy today since I'll be returning to the trips tomorrow; they have guests coming and, well, you know what that entails and she's always got her hands full, literally!

Thanks Kar..same to you :-). I am fine..lots of changes this past summer and all for the good. If anyone had told me a year ago that I'd be a married lady going into this fall..I would have said they were crazy..but as fate would have it..I am..blissfully and happily to someone who has really been one of my best friends for decades.

Chicken butternut soup..? I've never heard of such a thing..but it sounds interesting and yummy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Congratulations MissCricket!!

Kar - thanks for the info. I will email you tomorrow!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, congrats Mr and Mrs Cricket!!  I never would have believed where my life was going, either, lol.  So happy for you!

prin, any time, no pressure, just a standing invitation.  Actually. I will be at the trips home, again, tomorrow to help her prepare for overnight guests. So, if I don't respond right away that's why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoops, meant to say, mc, the soup is a Martha Stewart recipe:

http://www.marthastewart.com/332311/roasted-chicken-and-butternut-soup

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

tt, I think it more like a sour stomach (combined with boredom of course)

No, Pingo

I never get stomach aches. Nor do I ever get bored

If your friend was viciously attacked (albeit by an embarassingly inept poem posted on the internet), youd probably just sit by and watch it happen, right?

Not me. I feel an obligation to step in. That's just the way I am

You and I are different that way, I guess, which is fine. I dont want anyone to be like me

Not that anyone could be like me

There is only one Wildo after all...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Wow, congrats Mr and Mrs Cricket!!  I never would have believed where my life was going, either, lol.  So happy for you!

prin, any time, no pressure, just a standing invitation.  Actually. I will be at the trips home, again, tomorrow to help her prepare for overnight guests. So, if I don't respond right away that's why.

Thanks Princess & Kar...it is pretty wild...lol.. I have taken a lot of chances the past year that I never would have taken before .  I think I've really hit my confidence level since I hit my mid forties..lol

Thanks for the link to the recipe Kar. I love making soup on the weekends in the fall..so I will try it soon.

Happy Monday !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A real Fall morning - glad I left the thermostat set at 60 at least.

Today is a day for making beef stroganoff (and possibly a beef stew), and applesauce.  About time I used some of those mountain of apples for something else besides biting into - will never use them all up at that rate.

Very quiet on the street, I think quite a few neighbors are away for the week-end.  Lots of things around the house to catch up on - not the least of which is to pull out those pillow cases and do some work on them.  Out of sight, out of mind, and I was reminded of them when I took a tour of GD's house Sat.  Colors are going to look good with her decor.

Cats have been fed, and now it's my turn.  Feels like a bacon and eggs or pancakes morning.  Don't eat bread much, but just because I don't have any in the house, am thinking of French toast - definitely have to run out for a couple of things later - salad mixings among them.  Missing my usual salad lunches.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning TT - I used to love when my mom made stroganoff.  She made it with ground beef though - I never knew that wasn't the norm until a few years ago, lol.  I had been making it that way all along.  Now that you mention it - I should make some this week!  Yummy.

Very quiet at work today, as many people took the day off seeing there is no school.  I don't mind though - no traffic, and nice and quiet so I can concentrate on my work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to princess-cal's comment:

Good Morning TT - I used to love when my mom made stroganoff.  She made it with ground beef though - I never knew that wasn't the norm until a few years ago, lol.  I had been making it that way all along.  Now that you mention it - I should make some this week!  Yummy.

Very quiet at work today, as many people took the day off seeing there is no school.  I don't mind though - no traffic, and nice and quiet so I can concentrate on my work.

lol, Princess, re your mother's version of stroganoff.  It wasn't until I was out of high school and working that I realized if you ordered "Spaghetti" you didn't get spaghetti served in a sauce of canned tomatoes and scrambled hamburg!  That's what my father liked, and that's what she cooked.  Now I know that is American Chop Suey.  Good, in fact probably my favorite over spaghetti sauce, but American Chop Suey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Stepped out to fill the feeder and toss the apple cores up back, and when I stepped back in, oh, nothing smells as good as apples simmering on the stove.  Sorted out the non-bruised and those are in the crisper, and used half of the remaining to make up a big pot of applesauce.  Later in the week I'll do a couple of crisps and try freezing them.  Glad I held onto my mother's food mill all these years, it comes in handy for finishing up the apples into sauce.

Beautiful day out, has warmed up since earlier.  Would actually be a good morning anyway, for apple picking for those of you who haven't got your supply already.

Kargiver, you're having another fun day with the triplets.  How nice that has worked out for both you and the mom.  Watching fast track pumpkin Saturday now that he's mobile on two legs, can't imagine how she will keep up with 3 - all  heading off in different directions!

Think the apples are ready to "sauce".  Cinnamon and sugar standing by - - -

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh you two ladies. You are making me indecisive. Stroganoff or Chop Suey? Love both. Took out Costco's Hamburg from the freezer yesterday, but didn't get to use it. I can probably do both. It is 24 oz. so devided in half it should make enough dinner for two dinners for the two of us.
    Had a nice day yesterday up at Gloucester. But it was freezing cold and the wind was blowing. Had to stop at the little Italian coffee shop up there for hot chocolate and pastry. On the way back, we stopped at DH's sister's. She called earlier to invite us for something special, she had made. DH was delighted to go. Me not so much, but what can ya do. I bit my tongue and had a little bit to be polite. DH ate for the two of us anyway. LOL
    DH left long ago this morning to see a couple of clients. I am getting ready to go to the office. He will meet me there, when he gets done. The office is not working, so we can get lots of paperwork done.
    Kar, hope you are having a great day with the trips. Is mom having staying guests? For her sake, I hope not. My in-laws came to stay with us for 3 months after our first son was born. When the baby was napping, I had to take care of them. They were not ones to give a helping hand, just waiting for me to do their laundry and cook special lunches and dinners for them. When I was pregnant with our second, I was not shy to tell everyone, I would not have staying guests until the baby was 6 month old. I know, their feelings were hurt, but I stood my ground. Bad DIL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Standing at the deli waiting for my order, looked down, and what did I see?  One loaf of Kasanoff's Russian Dark Rye bread!  Didn't think they carried it anymore.  Was looking with all the other common breads, and of course, it's not a common bread, it's Kasanoff's!  Already know what tomorrow's breakfast will be - 2 slices of Kasanoff toast, a dish of my homemade applesauce, and coffee.

Cooked up meat/onions for beef stew, refrigerated that to finish tomorrow, and now am simmering beef to make stroganoff for tonight.  Haven't refrigerated the applesauce yet, and that's how I like it best, room temperature.  Grab a spoonful whenever I walk by the counter.

Looks like rain's coming.  I'm hunkered in for the night.  Do have to go out tomorrow, but not until mid-morning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Went into town today and walked around, Boston is so much more beautiful than it used to be!  Wonderful time.  Hope you all enjoyed it, if this was a holiday for you.  DH did have to work but I am sure he will enjoy no traffic...

DH callled, said there was so much traffic it was going to take 3 hours to get home, told him to stay where he was....I got takeout Chinese and that takes care of lunches tomorrow!  Yeah!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Wish I could find Kasanoff's - best I can do is Bernstein's Old World Jewish Rye.  Better than the Market Basket brand, but sometimes I have to make do with that.

Have you noticed that sometimes people use "make due" instead of "make do?"  That really annoys me - do and due should be pronounced differently for one thing, and of course they mean totally different things.

Another disctinction that has been lost is between "site" "sight" and "cite."  The first is a place, the second refers to something seen with the eyes or a substitute for the eyes (periscope, binocs, camera, etc.) and the third is a reference, same root as "citation."   I hate so much seeing "websight" or "webcite."  When I think of all the hours my teachers spent on homonyms, antonyms and synonyms - they don't do that now!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Trying to picture M.B.'s deli counter, Hats - do they have rolls etc right underneath?  If so, check there.  That's where the Kasanoff's was stocked in S&S.  Never thought to look there before.  I'm looking forward to breakfast this morning.  Last week I had bought Beefsteak pumperknickel and that was good.

Last night's stroganoff, btw, really hit the spot. So good with that sour cream.  Made just enough for 2 good size helpings - no leftovers - and then a pineapple square (which came out good too) with whipped cream for dessert.  For the pineapple filling I just chopped up a cup of the thawed T.J.'s tidbits, added a cup of pineapple juice (funny, it just caught my eye this week and I picked up a can), a couple of tbsps of sugar, cooked it down 5-10 minutes, and then added about a tbsp. of cornstarch to thicken and continued cooking it a bit.  It worked out great on my regular fig bar recipe.

As for the word interchanges, Hats, I find typing fast on these posts, I often type a sound-alike that I don't catch until it's posted and I reread it.  So glad they got the edit feature back.  Lots of times I think that's where the misuse comes in, even like their, there, and they're.  For me anyway, that's where my errors occur.

It sounds like your husband hit the same kind of backup we had coming back up from the Cape Friday night - 3 hours and 15 minutes to be exact.  Days were when I could have spent all day in a car, driving/riding around, but now find I don't enjoy that length of time, even if we had been moving.

Off to shower and dress, then breakfast, and out for a few hours.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

tt, you said it well to say that things worked out for both of us for me to be able to spend whole days with them.  If I were working, I'd feel bad for her, but what could I do?  

Pingo, thankfully, they are only coming for lunch and afternoon visit.  i thought it was overnight, but was mistaken.  good for you for standing your ground when you need to.  I've learned to do the same at the cost of some feelings along the way, but oh, well.

I cooked the entire day while I wasn't holding a baby or interacting with the 2 yo (who adorably calls me "Mrs. Lastname"), etc.  Got to spend some time with the dad, too, when he got home from work while I finished cooking dinner.  Oh, and he surprised me with a four pack (they don't come in six) of my favorite beer.  Sweet!

And, dh survived on the pumpkin bread, chicken butternut soup, and veggies he picked.  In fact, the fridge is full of them, all washed and ready to prepare.  He got a lot done and was glad for a day to himself.

hats, I always notice those things, too.  I can't help it; my mom was an English perfectionist and required the same of me.  My favorite is, "Nip it in the butt," instead of bud.  However, autocorrect has probably mangled some of my original word choices without my noticing, and we don't have edit so I'm stuck looking like an idiot, lol.

prin, I hear ya on the great traffic flow on a holidays I never got off.  It was almost as good as having the day off!  (Sorry, I hit the italics and can't turn it off.)

have a great day, everyone!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice post, Kargiver.  What a great day you AND the trips' family had together.  So cute about the little one addressing you as "Mrs".  I'd say your DH feasted pretty good with the supper you left.  Sounds good to me.  I'm thinking of the pumpkin soup I'll make and bring to G.T.'s for Thanksgiving.  That's become sort of a ritual now, one of their friends particularly looks forward to any leftover to take home.  Going to make the fig squares and cut them in a smaller square (not the gigantic ones I cut for myself! lol) and make up a plate of them in cupcake papers.  This particular friend of theirs makes a delicious pie of his choosing to bring each year, and I know he'll be surprised with the fig squares.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    I am late in the discussion, but DH just left. Mornings, he is on the phone (they start at 6) answering questions from sub cntractors.
    Hats, I am with you in regard to butchering the English language. I came to this country not being very proficient in English, but I worked at it and God bless her, Kar is my wonderful corrector here on the boards. I just hate to see "there" and "their" or "you are" and "your" f. ex. being slashed around here. Anyone here is actually welcome to point out, when I make  mistakes.
    I finally had a chance to stop yesterday afternoon at the new consignment shop in Reading. I was disappointed. They have mostly furniture and lots of china. I felt it was more like stuff, they had picked up at estate sales. They don't take clothing, toys, appliances, pet stuff, electronics f. ex. You could probably pick up an entire set of bone china for cheap. They had a couple of unusual condiment bowls, that would be good as gifts. But they were not cheap. I may go back later, when the price goes down. But what got me the most was, that the owner/manager? was not very friendly. I waited for her to ask a few questions. She told me to look at their pamplet and walked away. Not exactly the way one has to act when doing business. Oh well.
    My hamburg became Chop Suey last night. It was so good. That and a salad. Tonight I will do the stroganoff.
    Have some errands to do today, so I am taking the day off. Got a lot of stuff done over the holiday weekend anyway. My assistant can now carry on on her own, and will take care of the daily stuff. God bless her. I waited for a long time, but looks like the wait was worth it.

Sections
Shortcuts