October 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: October 2012

Today I pulled the last of the beets..They are washed and boiling away...I really like beets as it turns out...After I am done with the ones for dinner/lunch...i peel off the skin and puree the rest...then I use it like tomatoe paste.in stuff ...well...that you would use tomatoe paste in...

Rats...I think that may be bad English..I have been speaking Spanish for most of the week...I have probably been butchering that language too..Oh well...I mean no offense

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, it is time to thnk about TG, already...where has the year gone?  Love your pumpkin soup tradition, tt.  Be sure they have the recipe so it can be part of the tradition for generations to follow.  I'd love a gigantic fig square, please!

pingo, too bad all around re the consignment shop.  Unfortunately, her business will not survive long if she doesn't encourage repeat patronization with a smile and friendly word.  How hard is that especially with a friendly and outgoing customer like you inquiring about building her business?!  Are you sure it was the owner?

so cold...maybe will start the stove.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, enjoy the beets!  We have a lot, but I'm assuming dh will rip them all up soon.  Beets are my favorite thing in the garden.  I steam them whole, unpeeled.  Takes about an hour.  Then, I rub the skins right off between two paper towels.  Learned this from my aunt after always having peeled and cut them up to cook...love it!

And I only correct Pingo since she insists she wants me to.  Otherwise, I notice but don't hold mistakes against anyone - this is hardly an area where perfect attention to grammar counts for anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, if this was not the owner, I would fire this lady pronto. I have a lot of forgiveness in me. Everyone has a bad day once in a while. But this lady was not promoting any business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re beets. One of my favorites too. I steam them, pickled them, roast them. Now that my tomatoes got a fungus this year, and I probably cannot grow them next year, I have to think of something else to grow in my little space. Beets come to my mind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It seems odd that an owner of a new consignment shop would be so rude and dismissive of anyone kindly inquiring about how to help her business take off.  I'd consider writing a letter that sounds as if you believe you are letting the owner know about a bad experience you had with an employee.  If she, in fact, is the owner, she'll know to straighten up and fly right, and if it is an employee the importance of good customer service will be the next topic of conversation.

hm, for fun, this is what I'd write (not that you'd need help, but I get sick pleasure from composing such things, lol):

To the owner of XYZ Consignment:

I was very excited to see your new shop as this area seems ideal for a well appointed consignment shop.  My interest was both in looking for things for myself as well as to find out about consigning lovely items that I believe would benefit us both to bring in.

However, my experience in your shop was abysmal mainly due to the woman who was working the day I visited.  She was curt, unfriendly, and literally shoved a pamphlet on your consigning policies at me and walked away when I inquired as to how things work.

I'm a small business owner myself, and know how hard it is to succeed! I'd like to patronize your new shop and recommend it to my friends and neighbors, but this experience has soured me and made me fear the worst for the future of XYZ Consignmnet.  Therefore, I'm writing with every hope that customer service will become your most immediate concern and these issues resolved before they prove to be the downfall of what could be great success.

Sincerely,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG! Kar, this letter is just something, I would have liked to write myself. Except, I would not have been able to use the chain of words you used, due to my inapt knowlwdge of the English language. Thanks, Kar!
    I am going to fire it off unchanged and unabbreviated. You made my day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, wait, there's mistake in the last sentence.  Add the bold words:

...immediate concern and that these issues will be resolved...

Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad it suits your needs!  I've written MANY letters for all different reasons for friends and family.  Cover letters, apologies, thank yous, complaints, whatever.  I enjoy writing especially things like this, and that's really cool you like it and want to use it.  Thanks!  I hope it works. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and you are not inept with English, Pingo, at all.  Writing such a letter takes combining a knowledge of pyschology with one's writing skill more than a command of the language.  My mom taught me, and her mom taught her.  I often write letters of all sorts for my friends who call with a need of a thank you note for something they hated, a complaint, or apology...the hard stuff to say, you know?  I've written four very big companies (Home Depot, Weight Watchers, Jello, and Nabisco) about their ads, and 3 of them changed or pulled them immediately (Nabisco ignored me).  It's not good English, per se, that accomplishes the goals of a letter, it's how apt it is to provoke the desired response by hitting the right emotional chords.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(In other words, it's a matter of how adept you are at manipulation, lol.)

Can't get going today and cannot fathom it is after noon already.  Gracie kept DH up with her dream running - she runs like the wind in her sleep and her nails hit the sides of her crate making a huge racket.  She and I sleep through the noise, but DH thought the crate was going to come apart, lol.  Too bad...he had to get up and go early this morning regardless.  So, I just put her outside and told her to "play by herself," which she understands to mean I'm not coming out nor am I letting her in any time soon.  Hopefully, she'll sleep soundly tonight and so will he.  

I imagine that my friends are having lunch right about now.  I'm eager to know how it goes. I made butternut squash soup and craisin walnut chicken salad with roasted thighs and am holding my breath hoping they are a hit with their guests...one never really knows what others are going to enjoy...or not!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Oh Kar - I'm sure they are loving it!  BTW - my Google email address isn't working (I can't get into it).   I also couldn't find the email address you gave me (I think it was deleted), but you can reach me at my yahoo address.  It's my first and last name (one word) @yahoo.com.

Thanks again for your help!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome, prin!  I'll write you at yahoo, thanks.  Much like bdc, gmail really fouled things up when they did their overhaul...sigh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Re beets. One of my favorites too. I steam them, pickled them, roast them. Now that my tomatoes got a fungus this year, and I probably cannot grow them next year, I have to think of something else to grow in my little space. Beets come to my mind.

[/QUOTE]
    You know Pingo...Honey and I planted beets and carrots in the tops of our upsidedown tomatoe buckets

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hello everyone. Wow what a busy day, I feel like I have spoken to you guys in a long time. So, we went to the Orthodontist yesterday and he in fact does require a full set of braces. We discussed it and they will be going on in January. They will need to be on from 18-20 months, possibly longer. They top set will go in first and then two months later the bottom ones will go in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How's he handling it, Winter?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, how innovative. That is just so awesome. You two are quite a pair and I love you both.
    Our tomatoes next year will be in hanging buckets. So glad you mentioned it. I have a long roof line at my pool, enough to have plenty of hanging tomatoes I can reach. I was so sad not to be able to have home grown tomatoes next year. But now I am excited; the hanging baskets will do. Plus my little patch (4 x 8) will have other things, since I now will have room for them.
    Are there special "bucket tomatoes"? Or do you just grow whatever.

In response to icer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    You know Pingo...Honey and I planted beets and carrots in the tops of our upsidedown tomatoe buckets

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It seems odd that an owner of a new consignment shop would be so rude and dismissive of anyone kindly inquiring about how to help her business take off.  I'd consider writing a letter that sounds as if you believe you are letting the owner know about a bad experience you had with an employee.  If she, in fact, is the owner, she'll know to straighten up and fly right, and if it is an employee the importance of good customer service will be the next topic of conversation.

hm, for fun, this is what I'd write (not that you'd need help, but I get sick pleasure from composing such things, lol):

To the owner of XYZ Consignment:

I was very excited to see your new shop as this area seems ideal for a well appointed consignment shop.  My interest was both in looking for things for myself as well as to find out about consigning lovely items that I believe would benefit us both to bring in.

However, my experience in your shop was abysmal mainly due to the woman who was working the day I visited.  She was curt, unfriendly, and literally shoved a pamphlet on your consigning policies at me and walked away when I inquired as to how things work.

I'm a small business owner myself, and know how hard it is to succeed! I'd like to patronize your new shop and recommend it to my friends and neighbors, but this experience has soured me and made me fear the worst for the future of XYZ Consignmnet.  Therefore, I'm writing with every hope that customer service will become your most immediate concern and these issues resolved before they prove to be the downfall of what could be great success.

Sincerely,

Nice letter Kar, reminded me of myself, I was forever writing letters for friends, family and other folks friends and families,  complimenting, complaining, thanking, etc.  I loved to write and everyone knew it, so I was always on call.  English was my  favorite subject in school.  At one time I had 45plus pen pals, all over the country, we wrote letters, swapped books, S&P's, crochet and embroidery patters, etc.  Just wrote a letter to a cake company, complimenting them on their lemon cake, telling them that they either stole my    favoirite aunts recipe or she stole theirs....they really liked that...I got coupons for two free cakes!! ss

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The cake story is cute, SS.  You couponer you!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,  I hope DS knows, you are doing this for the best for him. I was fortunate our sons inherited DH's straight line of teeth, so they didn't need braces. But I have heard many cries from their friends. Oh, those days. I so hope, it will be a good experience for the both of you.
    My SIL had Dracula teeth. Honestly! But braces were not the thing, where she grew up. So she suffered all along, until she had all her teeth removed at the age of 47 and had protheses made, she really never got adjusted to.
    DH's brother still have ugly, crooked teeth. Just don't know, how DH made out with a perfect smile. LOL
    No matter how much your son hate his braces, he will thank you later. It is an expensive deal for sure. Hope everything works out for you and him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We're kindred writers, SS!  I, too, have enjoyed writing the positive letters the most.  Love the sentiment behind your cake letter, and that's cool about the coupons for free cakes!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not in the mood for beef stew, so have sliced a gigantic potato in half and put it in to bake.  I'm thinking, butter, sour cream and sauerkraut toppings - maybe a slice of cheese melted first.

Spoke with roofer today and offered him both jobs if he could come down on total price.  He was most appreciative of the "kind words" re excellent reputation his company has etc., and will get back to me tomorrow with a new price.

Have inched and inched the thermostat up since I got back in, and still am chilly.  Threw a wash in, including warm flannel nightie, and am hoping dryer performs as it should - first time using since repaired last week.

Offered my GD some of my applesauce for pumpkin, and she graciously "thanked me for thinking of them", but of course, as I should have known since she makes all his food from organic veggies, makes him some weekly.  She's such a dedicated mom, doing all she can to give him a good start in life.  He's a  happy healthy little guy, (with his first haircut - boo hoo), so she must be doing something right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is awesone, ss. The letter to the consignment shop went out in the mail. I will let you know if I hear back from them. I don't expect to though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She turned down your homemade applesauce, tt?  What will she do when he goes to school?  That'll be dilemma.

chilly here, too, despite the oven having been on to roast a pumpkin and the rest of the eggplant.

pingo, she almost certainly won't respond to you because she's not professional enough, but give it a month and repeat your visit.  I bet you'll see a big change.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He's a baby right now, Kargiver, just starting the food chain.  Of course, as he gets older, she won't be pureeing his food.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hope you get a better price, tt. You may even get a better price, if you tell him, you will pay  cash. He will not have to report it and thus saving about 30+ % in taxes. Also, one bird in the hand, is better than 10 on the roof. Lots of contractors will come down in price, if paid in cash. Small companies can do this and they do. We cannot.
    Funy tt, I just read a long article in regard to organic vs. non-organic food. I am not Robin, so i will not post a link or go into detail. But apparently, organic food is not, what we think it is. Unless you grow it yourself. Only then you know, what you are dealing with. But it is certainly recommendable that your GD does what she think is best for her baby.
    I subscribe to a magazine called Nutrition Action - it has a lot of insight. You can probably google it on the web.