October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

October 2013

Happy October everyone! The year is flying by. Chilly morning, but it's supposed to be lovely later on. DS got to wear regular clothes as long as they wore denim because it's a Breat Cancer denim fundraiser. Each student brings in $5 to wear denim and all money goes to Breast Cancer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2013

Good morning,

Cheerio and I just finished oatmeal and banana (she had just the oatmeal leavings) and then coffee and orange coffee cake (she, of course, had a saucer of milk and a few coffee cake crumbs).  I seem to be late getting around today, but as I usually do, will duck out of here by 10:00 for a couple of hours.

That's nice that the school fosters awareness in the students.  My GS's basketball team wear the socks with the breast cancer ribbon.  Pointed them out to my cousin in Dick's Sporting Goods the other day.  Love that they do things like that, this big tall, gangly kid with those socks on, even with his flip flops!

Harry continues to sleep under my shrub.  Comes out each morning sleepy-eyed and stretching, up on the stairs, ready to come in, if I could let him, talks a little, rubs against my legs, and then heads for the pond and grasses.  Fluff-a-Duff is usually around nights.

Pingo, has that bread thawed out enough for you to try a piece yet?  I'd love a hunk, the heel, please.  When were you able to set up an appt. with the Orthopedic doctor?

Have a couple of emails to answer, and then I've got to put the finishing touches on to go out.  Will check in this afternoon.  Have a good day everyone.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Yes, tt - the bread was finally cut-table. DH and I had it for breakfast. With butter and cheese. It was fantastic!!! If it wasn't so involved, I would make it all the time, like my mother did. She didn't work and had the time. I have sliced it and wrapped it in smaller portions and put it back in the freezer. I saved the ends for you. This coming weekend, we will be in NH, but the following weekend, I will make another one and bring the "brick" to TX for Christmas.
    I made an appointment with the hip doc for Nov. 4. It is a long wait, but that means he is busy and doing lots of replacements, which is a good thing. Only problem is, it means I will have to wait until next February/March, or I won't be able to travel for Christmas and to meet my GD in January. But I have waited this long, so few more months should be ok.
    Got a call from UK son yesterday. He may be going to Atlanta for a conference. If he does, he will stop in Boston for a day next week. Yea!!! He can't spend more time as he is teaching, but we will take any time, he can give us. He won't be spending Christmas with us this year, as he will be traveling to Argentina and Brazil during the Christmas break with a friend. But he will stop by here after the trip for a week, before school starts again.
    Have to run up to Costco. Doc changed some of my meds. Then off to the office. Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, and happy Oct!

Very cool, Winter, re DS's getting to wear denim for a cause.

tt, any more coffee cake?  I'm starving...

Pingo, glad the bread came out.  Hopefully ds will be able to visit and have a slice!

I've got to make and can more applesauce today; the apples we didn't store are all ripening at once.

And, DH's boss might be eating dinner and staying the night tonight for an early morning drive to a business meeting they both will attend tomorrow...ack!  I've got to get it in high gear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

As promised, here's the gluten free baked mac and cheese I made from modifying a recipe by Ina Garten on the food network.  I halved the recipe just in case it turned out terrible, lol.

instead of flour for the roux, I used non-GMO cornstarch.  Just melt the butter and stir in the starch; do not cook it like you do flour or it can lose its thickening power.  It doesn't have a raw taste like flour would so it's good to go as soon as it's incorporated.

instead of regular elbows, I used quinoa elbow pasta - honest to goodness, you'd NEVER guess it wasn't regular.

instead of bread crumbs, I crushed gluten-free bagel chips and added the melted butter to those.  I think any gluten free cracker type thing would work great.  These were parmesan flavored and added a wonderful taste dimension.  Again, no texture hint that these weren't quite normal.

the finished dish would fool everyone except the GF person; they'd know because they don't get sick!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That looks really yummy, Kar. And a lot healthier. I hope a lot of GF lurkers will see your recipe.
    What kind of cheese did you use? I know some cheeses are not GF and some can be cross-contaminated. My friend's son cannot have blue cheese f.ex. The mold they use for it is harvested from bread. There are also a couple of others, he cannot have, but I forgot which ones.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks! I used Cabot shredded sharp cheddar and TJ's lite shredded blend.  

I never would have thought about the gluten in blue cheese...omgosh, I am so not happy about this if you'll pardon the confession.

ETA: I personally wouldn't call it "healthier," per se, just gluten free.  It's still 400 calories and loaded with saturated fat for one 9th of that tray!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mac and cheese looks delicious, Kargiver.  I'm sure your DH has had other cheeses before that might have contained some gluten.  Hopefully he'll feel no ill effects from this.

Gorgeous out.  Hated to come back in, but I've decided to cook that roast as a pot roast and put it on this afternoon.  More errands to be done, but they'll wait until tomorrow.

You'll probably be glad you aren't having the surgery over the holidays, anyway, Pingo.  So much to be done and you most likely wouldn't be up to it too soon after having your hip replaced.  By waiting til after the first of the year you're also coming into Spring months for recuperation/therapy and what better time with the anticipation of flowers coming up and warmer weather.

Have to pick up the kitchen and give the bathroom a swipe.  As long as I'm in, might as well be productive.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I'm going to make what I think is a reasonable effort, not go completely hog wild by eliminating every molecule of possible gluten, and see how it goes.

Definitely, I'd put hip surgery off until it was a convenient time, too, Pingo.

pot roast sounds good; I almost picked one up yesterday, but DH isn't eating much meat so decided I didn't want a whole roast to myself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You are probably right, tt. It is better to be "out of commission" during the Spring months. You made me feel better already.
    Pot roast sounds nice. Haven't had one in a long time. But now come winter, it will be on my crock pot menu.
    Our haddock came out just wonderful last night. So tasty. I changes my recipe a bit. I had some mushrooms, that needed to be used. So I sauteed those w/ onion (you may leave that out) and chopped celery and mixed that w/ panko. Drizzeled the fish w/ lemon juice, put on the bread crumb mixture and covered it w/ a sliced tomato, that also needed to be used.  Then baked it. Heavenly!

Kar, I wish I hadn't brought up the cheese question. It was simmering on the backburner , so I finally googled GF cheeses. You may want to do a bit of investigation yourself.
    Who would expect that lowfat Mozzarella, Ricotta and Cottage Cheese may contain gluten? As well as fat free sour cream? I was shocked. Lowfat dairy are thickened with modified starches, that may contain gluten as well. Also any cheese that is made with rennet should be avoided. What cheese it not?
    There are several interesting links. Here is one of them:
    http://www.drgourmet.com/gluten/containsgluten.shtml#.UksXElOuRBk
    Well I better get back to work, or I will spend all evening here.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you can always bring things up with me, no worries, I appreciate it and all the good will behind your posts.  I did research the cheese thing, lol, it looks like you'd have to be deathly allergic for it to matter, but I'd rather know than be ignorant every time.

ETA: if DH had Celiacs I'd avoid every molecule.  Like I said, I'm going to eliminate the heavy hitters and see where he stands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, I think you are wise to go slow at first.  I did cut back quite a bit but not completely on the things that I thought might be causing my distress (coffee and dairy) and I feel better; and now I'm adding it back slowly and find I can have two or three cups of coffee with low-fat milk and yogurt once a week and still feel ok.  " All things in moderation" was good advice 3000 years ago and is good now unless truly counter-indicated.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, hats; it's just too expensive and difficult to do it perfectly without evidence that absolute avoidance is actually necessary.

that's great you're doing so well for the modifications you've made.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, where do you buy your quinoa elbow macaroni? TJ's?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Found it at the gluten-free section of Stop and Shop (not with regular pasta); not sure if all their stores are organized the same way, but mine has that section next to the fresh produce.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Kar. I have never seen a GF section in my store, but I have never really looked for it either. Will ask my manager if they have him show me, where it is.
    Nighty-night!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/quote-du-jourgladys-taber.html

TT, this is for you.  If you have trouble with the link, let us know and maybe some one will repost it for you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats's comment:

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/quote-du-jourgladys-taber.html

TT, this is for you.  If you have trouble with the link, let us know and maybe some one will repost it for you.

Thanks, Hats.  I did finally get to the blog through "quote-du-jourgladys-taber".  I have her Stillmeadow Road book down from the shelf and am re-reading it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So last week we had to design a trifold brochure for our company. I decided to focus on Weddings at the garden. Waiting for teacher feedback so I can use that and student feedback to make the final version this week. The file size was realy big, so it wouldn't let me post it. Still wokring on another stronger font for my logo, the teacher said my font was a little weak but she liked the watering can.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all :)

pingo, in my store it's really tucked away, behind/to the far right of the produce department with it's own short aisles and freezer section, like a mini store within a store.  If yours doesn't have it that way, the natural/gf foods might be mixed in with everything else of that type like putting the quinoa pasta in with the regular in the main pasta section.

tt, speaking of blogs, I did go to Peety's (sp?) and really liked it!  You're right, I totally relate.

I'm taking my rings to get sized today and to have lunch further East with trips' dad and stopping in a few minutes where I worked.  Can't believe I left there 5 years ago this month.  It was a month before the wedding...time sure does fly.

Oh, and my in-laws and SIL's fam will be here for dinner Saturday night, and the in-laws will be staying overnight.  Roast turkey dinner is on the menu.  Nice to have cool nights so we can use the oven.

I've got an hour to get ready and then will walk Gracie for 20 minutes so she's nice and comfortable while I'm gone.  Coffee is pressed, ready and waiting.  

Have a great day, everyone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Weak?!?!  I totally disagree - the font represented WATER trickling out of the watering can - it was an excellent interpretation and added to the movement of the logo.  I'm stunned she didn't see the creative excellence of your total design.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A list a mile long of places to go and things to do today.    Yet, here I sit, enjoying a second soup bowl cup of coffee!  Surprisingly, didn't toast one of the biscuits from last night's supper, for breakfast this morning.  Instead went right to the orange coffee cake.  I've come to the realization  that I am a "stay home every other day" person.  Going by that, today should be a "stay at home" day, but I've a doctor's appt. tomorrow smack in the middle of the day, so those errands have to get done today.  Friday night will be a casual birthday celebration for the soon to be 13 yr. old; Sunday pumpkin's party - so these are a  busy few days.

Last night Fluff was around, but made it clear she was just saying "hello", rolling over on the back walk, but clearly out of my reach, and then as soon as it got dark, Harry came up the walk, sniffed around where Fluff had rolled, and sniffed his way, following her path up through the yard.  He wasn't interested in anything except finding her.  When I emailed C.L., found that they had both been at her house separately, earlier, so Harry was just trying to catch up with her.  This morning so far all I have out there are the wet paw prints from my little pond.  I try my darndest to catch a glimpse of what is visiting every night, but I'm either too early or too late snapping on the back light.

Just saw a lady I usually run into when I stop into the library, walking by.  I've seen her going by before but she always had ear phones in and hasn't heard my calls of "Good morning" from the window!  Today she happened to be looking over and I got the window open soon enough to call out and wave. - Pleasant surprise, btw, warm out.

Well, since my window  looks out on the street, just saw Fluff run across.  She must have been out there while I was at the opposite end of the house, typing here.  That will teach me!  Time to get showered, go over that list one more time, and start my day.  Don't know if the usual 2 hours is going to be enough time today.  We'll see.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, enjoy your summery Fall day out on your "inside" day - the leaves are so pretty!  I'd choose orange coffee cake over a biscuit, too.  One of my applesauces didn't seal so, darn, we have to eat that right away. Stirred some into my honey yogurt for breakfast, yum.

Poor Miss Fluffaduff, she missed out.  She'll be back. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Good grief, I just realized, that last night I have now been here in US for 47 years. I spent my first night at the Lenox hotel in Boston. And the weather on my first day in Boston was just like it is today. I had only brought fall and winter clothing with me, so I was suffering. My summer stuff, was on it's way by ship in a large trunk. Many years and many wonderful memories.

Busy day for you, tt. Sounds like your wrist is all better. Parties to look forward to over the weekend is nice. It is hard to believe Pumpkin is already 2. I received King Arthurs Flour catalog yesterday, and thought of you. It had something called Safari cookie cutters. You make cookies of different animal parts and then put them together to make 3 dimentional animals. Lions, giraffes, elefants etc. May be something for you to invest in with the two new little ones (Pumpkin and his brother).
    Winter, what did your teacher mean by your logo being weak? Did she give an explanation more than that? It was very nice indeed, and told exactly, what it was suppose to tell. Just b/c she is a teacher, doesn't mean she is an expert. But you know, criticisme is a learning tool, so just leave it at that.
    I am on my way to the office. I have our CPA coming. No enjoying the outside for me today. Can't wait for the weekend. We are going to NH to visit a friend, who has a place up at one of the lakes. Both DH and I need this little break badly.
    Have a good day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo I hope you will enjoy NH this weekend.  I will be there too....