October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: October 2013

I think the cranberry would look very nice. Cranberry w/ white trim. From some of your photos, I thought I remember seeing wallpaper though. But that can be removed of course. Would be a lovely warm room, and great for your Christmas spread. 
    Don't care for brown rice, but the peach pie sounds good.
    I am feeling awfully tired today and yesterday too. And kind of muscle achy. The doc changed some of my meds, and I have a feeling I can blame it on those. Will wait for a few days to see if my body can acclimatize itself to them. If not, I will have to give he good doc a call.
    Shutting down here for the day. Have a good evening.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Doesn't seem as tho the meds would affecting you that soon, do you think?  Hope you're feeling better in the next day or two.

The only wallpaper is a wide floral chair rail border.  G.T. has already told me to start taking that off so the room will be ready to paint.

Kargiver, when is this supper of yours?  Saturday night?  I'm sure your spread will be every bit as nice as your SIL's.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, sorry you aren't feeling well, hopefully a good night's sleep is all you need.

tt, exciting about the room makeover!  And, thanks of the encouragement and vote of confidence.

Had a terribly busy day made busier by my apple peeler/corer coming apart after about 5 apples of 12 lbs worth.  Got them all done by hand, but thank goodness for the kitchen mat or I wouldn't be able to stand up at this point.  Applesauce is bubbling away, apple pie apples are covered in lemon juice awaiting further adornment, the cheesecake (with GF chocolate wafers used in the crust instead of graham crackers) is cooling in the oven, the roasted eggplant is peeled and in the fridge awaiting eventual use in the spread recipe, and a pound of butter is clarified with fresh poultry herbs to be slathered on the turkey, poured between the skin and the meat, and used in the sauted veggies for stuffing.  DH is washing carrots and a bowling ball of a turnip for his family's traditional mash of those two veggies.  I dried some gluten free white bread to use in the stuffing; no one will know but us.  FIL is funny about "strange" things and thinks he doesn't like them even if he would have if he didn't know better...so, it's simple, it'll be our little secret.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A lot of planning and work.  Great idea about the chocolate crust for the cheesecake.  Yum.

Just copied and emailed a copy of Asan turkey and Rice Soup to my oldest.  I did include all the "per serving" ratios at the end, and I know he'll tsk tsk and say he can't eat that much sodium etc. - but he applies this theory only at the times he wants to, if you get what I mean.  I plan to make it the next time I know ahead that G.T. is coming down.  After all, it's only one meal, and you get a heck of a lot higher "bad stuff" for you when you eat out.  It's in the latest copy of Family Circle if anyone's interested.  Only thing I'm not sure what it is is "bok choy" and where I'd get it.  If not at S&S then a large ingredient will be missing.

Excited about the renovation of the room, wish son had been able to get over to lug in the box.  It sits in my back seat, way too large and heavy for me to attempt, but neither do I dare drive the car and leave it unattended with it in plain sight, to some parking lot.

Watching to see what time it gets dark - guess now, 6:30 is about as late as I can stay tomorrow night to GD's little birthday todo.  Once it's completely dark I can't see well enough to drive home.  6:30 it will be - the magic hour to leave.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I hope it meets everyone's expectations.  

I sure do know what you mean, lol.  Indeed, I bet just about anything on a restaurant menu is far heavier handed on the sodium than that soup...or just about anything else you make at home.  I retain water for 3 days after any dinner out!

when does cheesecake typically set all the way firm in the center? Mine is still warm and a bit jiggly...seems to me it doesn't set totally until it has been in the fridge...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Never made one, but maybe one of the other Chatters can tell you.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it's ok, thanks.  I made a very concentrated strawberry glaze from leftover strawberry juice from a forgotten tray of frozen strawberries I'd meant to put in FoodSaver bags.  I put them in oven to make dehydrated strawberry snacks, and tons of juice came out that I saved.  Oh, I can take a photo, hold on...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can't seem to post anything other than the mac and cheese photo even though I choose the cheesecake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can see the ck, can you??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re your jiggly cheese cake, Kar. Did you take it out of the oven, as soon as it was done? It helps to get it to set, if you just turn off the oven and leave it in there for an hour or so to cool. That will make it cook a bit more inside w/o burning and drying out the top and crack it. I am sure the refrigerator will set it a bit more, but you will probably have a dent in the middle. It doesn't really matter; the taste is the same. If you cover the cake w/ something, only you will know.

tt, MB has Bok Choy. It is also called Chinese cabbage. It has very white stems and a green leafy top. Comes in a bundle, attached at the bottom. TJ's also have the baby bok choy, which I usually buy. They are more tender, and have a more subtle flavor. 

- Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Had a phone call, so I sat on my previous post for a while. In the meantime, you posted a beautiful picture of the cake. Looks fine to me. Save me a piece, will you?
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo, yes, I let it cool in the oven an hour before taking it out.  It doesn't have a crack and seems to be setting ok.  It is totally cool to room temp and I just covered it and put it in the fridge.  Aside from how the chocolate gf crust will go over I'm certain the filling is good. Wasn't so sure a couple of hours ago, but it's firmed up a lot since then.

I love bok choy, but I've never bought it, just had it in restaurants.  I love the subtle flavor and pleasant crunch.

ETA:  I'd save a piece, but I'm afraid my FIL will inhale it and threaten anyone who tries to stop him, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning,

Wow, I can post!  Usually I can't from work, but I have been keeping up with the posts.  TT - your redecorating sounds fun.  I had a family room with the dark cranberry walls and white trim.  We loved it, only changed it for a new look.  Now they are a pale yellow, but I really don't like it as much.  Oh well.

DH is getting along with the healing.  When they did the surgery they took 4 nerves from his leg.  That is giving him just as much trouble as the arm now, lol.  Still no feeling his 2 fingers, but the doc said he's very optimistic it will come back after it heals, which probably won't be for a year. 

No big plans for the weekend.  Will see Mom tomorrow.  Also want to get some mums and pumpkins and do may fall decorating . . I know, I am a bit behind, lol.

Have a great day everyone!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Prin, good to see you!  Poor DH, it must be so disconcerting to have to trust that after a YEAR he'll probably be ok.  But, the doc has done these so often and has seen each outcome; I'm sure he does recognize a good outcome long before it materializes.

Long day ahead.  Making apple pie, baba g, carrot/turnip mash, cleaning out fridge, and the house for overnight guests.  Will do floors tomorrow morning.

have a great day - I'll be on when I take breaks!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

So sorry, Prin, about the exchange of nerves - so many, I know you had mentioned it before, but I thought it would just be one.  What kind of lasting effect is that going to have on his leg?  What a dilemma.  Is he in PT for either his arm or leg?

Your cheesecake is beautiful, Kargiver.  I'm not a big fan of eating them, but love the beauty of them.  I'm sure the chocolate crust will come out fine.  Notes for your notebook?

I woke up at 12:30 and just dozed off and on the rest of the night - had just about convinced myself to return the island today before it even got out of my car.  Thought, how am I going to get along without a kitchen table and chairs?  Then thought the depth of it (20") wouldn't be wide enough, and couldn't remember the length, and was worried it wouldn't really be big enough for what I originally wanted, baking and rolling out cookies.  Before Cheerio even got fed this morning I was measuring off the length and width on my kitchen table, and it will be fine.  Such a big move and so much disheval to get it all done, and disposed of too.  If boys were around I would put the wicker set (4 pieces) out on the driveway in front on a sunny Sat with a sign $25 for the set.  Oh well, it will all work out somehow.

Starving this morning and planning on my usual breakfast and then making some choc chip cookies to take to GS's tonight.  They are his favorite.  Off to shower and dress and decide if haircut can wait another week.  I'll be checking in - speaking of which, better check "out" and see if there are little visitors sitting out back.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I wonder if one of your sons/grandchildren would put that wicker set on Craig's list for you?  I think you should ask more than that, too....you can always reduce the price if it does not sell.  Maybe consult GT about it....And when you sell on Craig's list people expect that they will have to haul and move themselves...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry for your restless night, tt, makes for a long one and a tired next day.  So often DH does that after he gets up around 2 to use the restroom.  Maybe gt and partner would come over and help with the furniture?  20" isn't terribly wide to roll cookies, but I'm sure it would work.  I usually stand at our island to eat my alone meals.  I highly recommend getting a little anti-fatigue mat to use at the island.  You'll feel a big difference head to toe, I think; I see mine as a medical necessity, not a lux.

no cheesecake for you?  All the more for those who find their way for a slice before FIL gets his hands on it, lol.  I am a little anxious about the crust, but what's made is made, and at least DH and I will enjoy it for sure...probably SIL, too.  FIL is super traditional...oh, well, the apple pie will be "just like Grandma's."  Oh, that reminds me, I should pick up ice cream.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I think I'd take your wicker set if it were out there.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. tt, I think your room make over in the cranberry sounds lovely. I saw that Island in the flyer. They have a little end table I'm thinking of picking up for the sitting area in our bedroom. Kar, cheesecake looks good, I'll be over for a piece and some applesauce please. Prin, sorry your DH isn't feeling that great yet. Hopefully his leg gets make to normal pronto.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm eager to try it...hoping the crust stays together and comes out of the pan nicely.  It should for all the butter that's in it.

haven't really started on my tasks for the dinner party yet, but I did get the pumpkin seeds I'd been saving from the GF muffin fiasco into the oven with salt and pepper.  Smells so good, warm and toasty.  Will be saving them as work snacks for DH.  The other half of the pumpkin will become soup for tonight's dinner, quick and easy.

I've got to step things up, just so tired from yesterday.  Didn't finish canning until around 8 and then had a lot to cleanup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    tt, Hats idea of putting the chairs on Craig's list is good. You will get more than $25 for them and you won't have to bother carry them out to the curb. You need to post a picture of them though. I am sure someone would be able to help you w/ that. You won't have people come running to your house to look at them, only the ones you decide on. We got rid of a lot of our office furniture that way, when we renovated the office. We didn't mint it, but we didn't have to pay for a dumpster or storage. Sorry about your sleepless night.
    Good to see your post, Princess. Glad to hear DH is healing. Hoping he will get the feeling back in his fingers. Like Kar said, trust the doctor. His leg will stay somewhat numb though. They took the nerves out. When I had a melanoma removed years ago on my leg, the nerves were cut, and I never got the feeling back. It has improved slightly, but it really doesn't bother me any more.
    Icer, did you by any chance see the cake Montilio's bakery made for the celebration of the Children's Museum's 100 year birthday? Quite a cake. A replica of the museum. 900 lbs.
    Have a few errands to do today. And I am going to have me feet and toenails done. Looks like we are going to get rain later on. Hope it will rain all out today, so we can enjoy the Foliage this weekend in NH.
    Have a good one. Will stop by later.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, re your cake coming out of the pan. When I make those delicate cakes, I always cut a circle of parchment paper to lay at the bottom of the pan. Then butter that. No problems after running a knife around the side.

In response to kargiver's comment:

I'm eager to try it...hoping the crust stays together and comes out of the pan nicely.  It should for all the butter that's in it.

haven't really started on my tasks for the dinner party yet, but I did get the pumpkin seeds I'd been saving from the GF muffin fiasco into the oven with salt and pepper.  Smells so good, warm and toasty.  Will be saving them as work snacks for DH.  The other half of the pumpkin will become soup for tonight's dinner, quick and easy.

I've got to step things up, just so tired from yesterday.  Didn't finish canning until around 8 and then had a lot to cleanup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Intown son and youngest both stopped by this morning and think the island will look and do fine.

Party for GS tonight cancelled, when he stopped in they had just come from the dr.'s, all signs of a flu, but the doctor is treating it as allergies right now.  Gave him his present, along with a bag of candy, and a plate of cookies warm from the oven.  Sent his father home with his own bag of hard candy.  Cookies worked out well.  Sent my intown son home with a bag, and my neighbor next door stopped over with some cherry tomatoes from their garden, so gave him a small bag too.  All in all, about 10 left for me - and I'd had about 8 already!

Hoping to catch Y&R in its entirety today.  Wonder who Nikki's son is going to turn out to be, and how Catherine Chancellor was involved.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, next time that's what I'll do, thanks.

tt, that's too bad!  Hoping whatever it is doesn't linger and if it's an allergy they figure it out and it's not hard to deal with.

apparently crisco goes bad...was cutting it in to the pie crust and thought, "what's that SMELL?!"  Didn't notice when measuring, sadly, so had to dump it and start all over with fresh...thankfully had new on hand.