October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2013

I've never had that happen to me, Crisco never hangs around this house very long.  But I suppose it can go rancid like anything.  I buy and use the individual sticks.  Costlier, but no chance of that happening.  Glad you caught it as you were making it.

Making a nice cup of tea.  Supper will be the last of the pot roast.  Feeling like having a hunk of cheese about now, so out I go, and then to try to do some clearing out/off of shelves etc. 

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd never had it happen to me, either, but I've switched from using shortening to coconut oil unless company is coming that expects things to taste the way they always did.  So, I guess it's been awhile, and there was only a cup or so left.  Yuck - indeed, it was a really good thing I noticed and didn't dismiss it without opening the new and comparing how they smell.  I'll buy the individual ones from now on since I really don't it them that often anymore, good idea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My post wouldn't accept any more typing...weird.  See, no period at the end of last sentence?  Anyway, I think a hunk o cheese sounds good, maybe I'll join you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Kar  - did you have to throw out the entire pie, apples and all after all that work - or just the baked crust? I hope for the latter. Like you I use coconut oil for everything I bake. Even for company. I honestly don't think, one can taste the difference. The coconut flavor goes puff! during the baking. Made dough this morning with CO for an apple pie, I am going to take to NH. Will let you know the outcome after it is baked.

tt, I am sorry to hear your GS is not feeling well and that his party is cancelled. When TXS was your GS age, he was suffering terribly from allergies. He couldn't be outside, if the grass was newly cut. Even our neighbor's grass. But I am happy to say, he outgrew it. At least the New England  allergies. Now he is fighting the Cedar in TX.
    Just curious. Would you be able to sit and eat at your new island, tt? Does it have a place for a chair?

Just came back from my pedicure. My footsies feel wonderful. If it wasn't for my hips, "I could have danced all night!" Stopped by at TJ's on Rt. 1 and did my "few items" shopping there. Few items that turned into $70 and 3 bags full. And I wasn't even splurging on anything unnecessary. Now off to put it all away.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, no sitting room at island, no overhang of the top to put your knees under.  My son pointed out another advantage, since it is on wheels, will be great when I am at stove/oven - since I have no good size counter near that, I can just wheel it over to a convenient spot to lift roasts out onto, etc.  We're expecting great things from this piece!  Don't know who is going to put it together and get rid of the HEAVY solid oak kitchen table.  Everyone, including me, assumed it would be G.T., but got an email from him the end of the day saying, "Hope your piece will get put together so you can use and enjoy it this weekend."  -  Guess it's not going to be him.  Intown son was putting together a big wheel or some such thing for pumpkin, and youngest asked very earnestly, "Who's going to put this together?"  (not him).  One of my DIL's is very good at that stuff, but she's the one who had a shoulder procedure - maybe she could be the Director??  lol

I have to get out tomorrow for some milk, and some more Crisco - half moon recipe states, "do not substitute butter or margarine" - should have run out today, but was pretty busy this morning, and nodded off a bit this afternoon when I sat down.  I'll run out first thing in the morning and be done with it so I can get on with the baking of half moons, and then wrapping pumpkin's and his bro's gifts.

Got some clutter cleared off the tops of surfaces.  Hate clutter, but seem to accumulate more and more of it.

Hope you have a nice relaxing week-end in NH, Pingo, and you have a deliciously good family dinner, Kargiver.  I'll be with the little kiddos for as long as I can take it - 2 hrs. tops!  lol

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like you have a Chicken Little situation, there, tt, LOL - I hope someone steps up soon!  DIL can crack the whip with her good arm. ;)

Mmmm, save me a half moon; I'll trade you a piece of pie.

Pingo, I noticed the smell of the rancid shortening as I was cutting it into the flour mixture for the crust so I had to start the crust over.  I wasted the crust ingredients and was fairly aggrevatec, but it could have been worse.

groceries are insanely expensive - think of us and our GF expenditures...sigh.

thanks for the well wishes on the party today.  Just figuring out now what time to deal with the turkey.  Need to clean the house this morning.  No rest for the very weary, but it will be fun and I'll forget about being tired until they leave.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

1:30 - 2:30 turkey out of fridge, 2:30 - 5:30 roast, 6:00 carve.  In-laws coming at 12:30, SIL at 4:30.  Still in pjs with DH and java...need to get moving, feeling paralyzed.  Anyone else shut down in times like this?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up and out early this morning.  Double checked and decided I have enough Crisco, so just ran to the convenience store for the milk, and swung by a Dunkin Donuts for the first time in probably a couple of years, at least.  Large black coffee and a couple of choc coconut donuts (one for my Sunday morning).  Delicious way to start my day.  Included that info in my morning email to C.L., and then remembered I had told her I wasn't going to mention my sweet eating to her anymore - she had asked if I wanted to go on a semi veggie diet with her and her husband, because "all that sweet stuff can't be good for you" !!  Not surprisingly, I politely declined.  lol

Kargiver, I hope you'll be able to relax a bit, let what you perceive as housework that needs to be done - go.  Knowing you from the boards, I doubt if your house ever is in need of much of a cleaning.  You keep it up daily.

I have to laugh at my next door neighbor - I've told you before how she keeps a close eye on me - the day my cousin was over, and backing her car into the driveway, my neighbor and I were standing out there talking.  She stopped mid sentence and said, "Is that someone you know?"  I laughed and told her yes, my cousin.  She said, "Well, you never know.  I just wanted to make sure you knew them."  Yesterday when my son was over taking the island out of the car she came out on  her deck and said, "Hi, XXX.  We're out here picking from the garden."  And as we walked to the back door she called over again, "Do you like cherry tomatoes?  I'm going to pick some and bring them over to you."  Just to let the MAN know she was right there and would be over!  I told her the other day, "You take awfully good care of me."  And she does, in that way,  Some would call it nosey, but she's right there with cell phone in hand, - "just in case" as Loretta LaRoche would say.  I get a kick out of it, because she's only in her 50's and maybe thinks of me as this helpless old lady.  LOL  Remind me of all this the next time I complain about her smoke drifting in my open windows, and them parking in my driveway!  One certainly outweighs the other.

Going to pour the 2nd half of the coffee into my cup and catch up on the morning news before I start today's baking.  Hope you have a wonderful day, Kargiver.  I know your family will enjoy that meal.  Wish I were coming.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just a quickie, saw your time frame when my post came up - I write down my schedule and leave it on the counter.  Even put stickies in which serving dishes I'm using for what.  The timeframe is what always gets me.  I find the roasting always takes longer than what I had figured, so usually now figure in an extra half hour for surprises.  You'd better get showered and dressed.  You can always stew about this stuff AFTER you have yourself ready, the most important thing, IMO.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, things are coming together and I'm feeling a little more calm.  Thanks, too, for the vote of confidence re the state of the house.  I've been spending 100% of my time in the kitchen for the last 2 days and the rest of the house has been neglected, and in-laws are neat freaks.  But, like you say, oh well, what gets done gets done, and that's that.  Hopefully any shortcoming in that area will be forgiven for the food. :)  I wish you and the other cc ladies could come, too, or better yet, come for a party for just you guys.

loved your neighbor story - I'm sure she doesn't see you as helpless, just likes to be pleasantly involved and is a helper by nature.  I enjoy Loretta LaRoach, always have.

dh just took Gracie for a walk to work off some energy for obvious reasons, lol.

good advice, I'm going to pause in the whirlwind to get myself ready.  Oh, and finish the coffee I just warmed up before it gets cold, again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Not the best weekend to go Foliage peeping, but we are going anyway. She is a good friend, and this is the first time, she is entertaining alone (her DH has Alzheimers). I think she needs this to get away from her daily sad routine.
    tt, a neighbor like that is a treasure. We used to live, where it was just like that. Everyone looked out for each other. Here everyone are nice, but busy in their own ways. When our old neighbors moved out and the new in, we were not aware of it until 2 months later. Everyone around here has long driveways, so you hardly ever see anyone coming or going.
    Happy party, Kar. I can attest to your feeling of being paralyzed. It happens to me too. Too many things to do at the same time. Like tt says, let some things go. When I have company coming, I always work around and do all the messy stuff in my PJs. Then I shower and get ready. Don't want to carry around the cooking smell in my hair and clothes.
    Re cooking smell. Did you have a chance to watch the Sharks last night, Kar? Probably not. Two girls was promoting a Kooking Kap. It looked like a shower cap to put on your head while cooking. Like the ones the servants wear in old English movies. I imagined myself running around in the kitchen wearing one. Pretty stupid idea; they didn't get any funds.
    Leaving shortly for NH. Will bring my iPad, but unless I get bored, which I doubt, I won't be reading or posting the Forums. Have a good weekend everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Huge success, big relief.  Heading to bed momentarily - thanks for getting me through it!  More later.

pingo, have fun in nh.  So nice of you to take the time for your dear friend who needs a real break.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to hear your dinner was a huge success, Kargiver.  I didn't see how it could help but be.  How did the cheesecake turn out as you cut it?  What about the crust, did FIL enjoy?

I'm all set with presents wrapped and half moons in tins, waiting to be plated on the faux crystal platter.  Hoping it clears off enough for people to spill out onto her deck.  It's a large family (on her mother's side) and without the deck things will get a little crowded.  Even if the rain just clears off, it will give the option to wander out there.  Guys will be glued to the TV in the l.r.

C.L. has had numerous conversations with Harry's owner who has asked that she call if she sees Harry out there nights so they can come get him.  He was out there in the dark last night and so she called - phone just rang and rang with no option for leaving a message.  Strange people, they are.

Hungry, and I already ate the 2nd donut last night, so I may, may, I say, just fall prey to one of the leftover moons frosted with the leftover chocolate frosting - one won't do it tho.

Hope there's better weather in NH Pingo, for your leaf peeping.  Noticed coming home yesterday that there's a young tree half way down our street that is in it's full glory of color.  Such a nice bright spark as you come around the corner.

Have a good day everyone.  I'll be around until this afternoon.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

thankfully, everything was raved over and every plate was cleaned twice.  I wasn't a huge fan of the ck crust texture, but it did cut fine and tasted good (not as good as Graham cracker imo, but it was worth it for DH).  The turkey gave me a scare, well, actually, it was the probe thermometer that scared me as it was not going up to the required temp despite the time being correct (over).  I finally decided to ignore it and take it out.  It was done perfectly, no question, so good thing I took it out before it got dry.  Followed the Williams Sonoma roasting directions to the letter...highly recommend.  In addition, put clarified butter simmered with fresh poultry herbs (done ahead) between the skin and meat top and bottom and slathered whole skin after drying.  DH picked baby potatoes and broccoli, I heated up the butternut I made yesterday, and made the stuffing.  So, we were all in a serious food coma feeling fat and happy.  :)  Oh, and in-laws brought excellent red wine, Malbec from Argentina, that went with everything, Brie to dessert.

I hope you have a wonderful time at the party today and the weather allows for outside reveling.  You deserve as many half moons as you want - enjoy!!  But, if you could just save me a bite...

We're getting ready for church...gotta sign off for now.  So glad the bulk of my responsibilities are done...phew.  

Have a great Sunday, everyone - indeed, we've got great color this year!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, we record Shark Tank and watch on Saturday...indeed, the cooking cap was ridiculous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"home again, home again, lickety split" - - -

Did good, stayed for 4 hours, that was only so I could see her open both boys' gifts with the matching outfits.  I kid you not when I say there must have been 18 little kids under the age of 4 - plus double sets of parents and assorted relatives.  She does a wonderful job and prepares a lot of hot food herself, and makes all the decorations, cake, with whatever theme.  Last year's was Dr. Seuss, this year's minions.  But, the noise level was - - -  expecially since it rained the whole time, so no deck wandering.  The guys missed their game too, since the TV was showing a continuing kids' program - for the "majority" !  lol

But, I'm home now, changed into even softer, warmer clothes, with a hot cup of tea in front of me.  And, have just about decided after talking with rest of fam, to return the island and stay with the kitchen table.  Everyone is mourning the would be loss of the room off the kitchen with the wicker furniture.  It is everyone's favorite, and they had suggestions of other places I could look for a suitable kitchen table.  Tomorrow I'm stuck in for the oil burner cleaning, but the rest of the week is mine and I'll try some of the places they suggested.

Has your company left, or do you have sleepovers, Kargiver?  You must be exhausted.  A good night's sleep tonight will feel good, I'm sure.  I'm watching the finale of Real  Housewives of New Jersey and won't turn in until that is over.  Wonder how Pingo made out, if NH had the rain we did.  Hope she got to enjoy some foliage.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No room revamp or island?  I hope you are happy with your ultimate decision, tt.  I can't imagine the noise of that many housebound kids...bless you, 4 hours?! 

Company left early afternoon; I've been in a coma.  But, it was fun, anyway.  Looking forward to peace and quiet tomorrow.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I need a vacation...

But, here we are on Monday morning racing around as always.  I'm heading to the chiropractor and skipping grocery shopping; obviously we're doing ok, lol, with that right now.

Want to know the ultimate irony of our going GF?  It gives me massive gas and bloating.  I've been horribly uncomfortable since those first pumpkin "muffins" and since all the GF crackers, stuffing, and cheesecake crust I feel utterly terrible.  DH seems to be benefitting inflammation wise, but the scale is going to give him a rude awakening as to what I've been warning him about (and he's ignoring so far) that GF isn't sugar- or calorie- free.  The GF cheesecake had 385 calories per 1/16th of the cake...

gosh, I've got to get moving!  Been sitting on this so apologies if I missed anyone who may have posted ahead of me this morning, I'm out of time...will be on later to catch up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Seems like everyone's weekend plans went well. tt, I'm a little sad you won't be getting your cranberry room, I had imagined it looking lovely. If you are looking for a table and Burlington isn't too far, may I suggest going to Donahue's. It's on Cambridge Road. DS scored another goal on Saturday, with his left foot. He was very tired for basketball tryouts, luckily there is another tryout for theat on Saturday.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Home from a long and tiring, but exhilarating weekend up-country.  It seems that the weekend parties went well for everyone - glad to hear it.  TT, 18 little ones?  Wow, they can be so noisy and exhausting  - glad it went well. 

Kar, glad the turkey dinner was good - hope you have lots of left overs so your cooking week will be easy.  I brought home a few myself - enough for a day or two so that's a help.

All the talk of pickles and canning has inspired me - not to can, but to look at some quick pickles and refridgerator jams that I might try to learn.  Someday.  Like next summer.  I'll be doing research.

I have a half cranberry/half white-ish dining room myself so I was excited by your plans TT but I think wicker is the bomb, too.  So going for the new table, which is probably the least disruptive option, may be your best bet.  I don't like Donahue's, though ... the two things I've had from there have been busts - one a chair that fell apart within months...the other a rocker my MIL bought me that was uncomfortable and ugly....but some people swear by them.

Winter, sounds like DS has found his level in soccer!  You must be proud.

Cooking cap?  Who needs it when there are bandannas being made in amazing colors - but that's the Girl Scout talking!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You will never guess what I've been googling this morning while the oil burner guy cleaned the oil burner - vintage 50's style kitchen sets - found that Sozio's carries them.  Of course their prices aren't quoted on line (phone call will give a quote), but might be interesting to look/see.  Certainly would take care of my using top as my rolling out, baking surface.  Actually, SS put the idea into my head with an offer of one she has in her cellar.  We compared notes about ones we bought (me for my mother when I first got out of school - a red and grey one she had always wanted, along with a new red linoleum floor).  I'm sure the price is astronomical - at least compared to what I am willing to pay, but then,. there's no harm in looking, and I might just fall in love as my mother did with her red/grey set she found at a family store in Lynn - now gone.

I probably shouldn't put my thoughts out here, I have lots of them that never see actual follow through, but then, that's what's on my mind this morning - - -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats that interesting about Donahues and you. I have two pieces from there, one is my kitchen island that I LOVE and the other is a settee that now lives in bedroom, but I've had it since 2004 and it's still great.

I am proud of him the fact that it was with his left foot and it was a great shot over the head of the goalie. :)

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Good morning everyone. Seems like everyone's weekend plans went well. tt, I'm a little sad you won't be getting your cranberry room, I had imagined it looking lovely. If you are looking for a table and Burlington isn't too far, may I suggest going to Donahue's. It's on Cambridge Road. DS scored another goal on Saturday, with his left foot. He was very tired for basketball tryouts, luckily there is another tryout for theat on Saturday.

- Darth Vadar

Boy, your son is off to a great start, Winter.  I was asking GS about basketball and I think he said their tryouts are Friday.  He's in the midst of a growth spurt, is now head and shoulders over me.  It's left him feeling thinner than usual when I give  him a hug, I can feel his shoulder bones - or may be they're just his "wings" as we used to call them!  lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sadly for DS, he'll most likely be short. I'm 5'4 1/2 and his dad is 5'5, but you never know. He's 5 feet and a 1/2 inch now. We have another basketball tryout Satruday, they do two, which is good since he literlly ran from soccer to basketball on Saturday and he was tired an hour into the tryout.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We were talking about my GS and where he is getting his height from - has to be his mother's side of the family, we're a family of 5'9" ers.  Not me, of course, but then -

Have such a hard time posting in these squares here.  As I type it is taking on the color and font size of the quote I have at the bottom.  I'm tired of fooling around, clicking up and down and back a page etc.  So, you'll have to take it as it posts.

So many discombobulated thoughts today - I got an email from friend who said, "I haven't heard from you today, did I say something wrong?"  -  Goes to show - I quickly emailed back saying, "No, I'm just full of thoughts running every which way, figuring out how I want to do kitchen, and figure why get anyone else confused too!"  LOL  Never considered that she might think it was some personal offense between she and me.

Have taken down Irish lace curtains in b.r. and washed them.  Will go in now and wash those windows and then put the curtains back up - How that is helping with my decision process, I don't know, just the "keeping busy" theory, I guess.  Getting something done even tho it might not be workuing on the solution of the prime problem - kitchen.  Oh me,  I'm off to clean those windows.  Nothing like an honest day's work to clear the mind.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt