October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

Hats, glad you had a great time this weekend and escaped with some leftovers.  Oh, yeah, we have the requisite post "Thanksgiving" ingredients for turkey sandwiches, lol.

Pingo, hoping to hear about your time with your friend and hope it lifted her spirits and rejuvenated you and DH, too.

Winter, great story about DS's left-footed goal!  Best to him re basketball tryouts.

tt, funny what people take personally that has nothing to do with them.  At least she asked before she got all in a big huff and let it become something it wasn't.  

I'm in the opposite state, tt, totally stuck, so drained from the weekend.  But, am momentarily getting it in high gear so thed house is put together and dinner done before DH gets home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

See there's no activity, but just checking in since I'm the "oldie" of the group, not to worry if you don't see me.  No activities of group interest going on here.  Headed out in an hour.  Will check the boards later this afternoon.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oldie?  Ha!  I feel like we're all sisters. :)

Making more applesauce today and hopefully zucchini pickles with an overgrown one DH picked yesterday.  Will walk Gracie 30 minutes.  hm, that's my whole day right there!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Sorry I'm late this morning. Working on a work project so I've been very busy. The teacher liked my first draft submitter the 28th. I made a few corrections on Saturday and submitted the final draft. This week I have to design a poster on a sheet she gave us. Should be interesting and fun I think. tt, hope you have a fun time out, hope I catch you before I go home today.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Lots of catching up to do. Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. We had a nice weekend, but it was quite emotional. First time we visited, when her other half was not around. She needed to talk and cry. She still feel very guilty, she had to put him in the special care facility and not being able to take care of him herself. What a terrible disease and such burden for the spouse/family.
    The weather was not the greatest. We had lunch on the deck the first afternoon, but then it turned gray and cold. Was thinking of you, Hats, camping. Hope you weren't in tents.
    Came home late Sunday and yesterday I felt completely drained. Plus I had a dentist appointment in the morning.
    So glad to hear your turkey dinner went well, Kar. But I can just imagine, how exhausted you must have been after everyone left. That's me too. It is not the cooking itself, but it is all the preparations, grocery shopping and such and keep everything flowing in the head. I do write a lot of notes to put on the dishes, but one still need to oversee the big picture.
    Sounds like your DS is a "star", Winter. Congratulations! So nice to hear about children envolved in some kind of physical activity. Too many hanging around the computer and the TV these days. How is the brochure coming along? Any comments from your teacher?
    So no dining room, tt? Good you didn't put the wicker chairs out yet. How are you going to drag the island back to the store? Hope one of your sons, that talked you out of the dining room, will help you with that.
    UKS will be coming Friday afternoon. So looking forward to it. Will leave Monday morning for Atlanta. Short stopover, but I will take anything he will give me.
    Worked late last night, so I am taking it easy today. Have laundry to do, and I need to go to UPS and run a few errands. Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I think you read my post to fast....The teacher liked my first draft submitter the 28th. I made a few corrections on Saturday and submitted the final draft. This week I have to design a poster on a sheet she gave us. Should be interesting and fun I think.

Glad you were able to be there for your friend. She is doing the right thing for her husband, in time she will see that.

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, we posted about the same time. So I didn't read your post before I posted mine. Glad the teacher like your brochure. Do you feel, you will be able to use, what you are learning here at your job? Did she give you a subject for the poster, or can you make up your own, like you did w/ the brochure?

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Pingo I think you read my post to fast....The teacher liked my first draft submitter the 28th. I made a few corrections on Saturday and submitted the final draft. This week I have to design a poster on a sheet she gave us. Should be interesting and fun I think.

Glad you were able to be there for your friend. She is doing the right thing for her husband, in time she will see that.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back in for Y&R -

Pingo, the island came dismantled in a box, and is still dismantled in the box, so no problem there.  Son suggested I keep it a while while I look to see what I can find in the way of a table set.  C.L. has already offered her husband's services on help getting it back in my car when the time comes.

Nice that you went to visit your friend.  Too bad it wasn't a glorious sunny week-end that would have helped raise everyone's spirits.  There comes a time in the care of an Alzheimer's patient that for their own safety and the best medical care, most need a special care facility.  Too bad she couldn't link up with a support group.  Most hospitals have them now, it is so prevalant.  It would ease the sense of guilt she is feeling.

Winter, will this be the only project for this class?  Once done will you have "graduated" per se?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Can't edit post - I'm getting to HATE this site.  Takes me so long to post, or anything on it -
    Anyway, my P.S. was to Kargiver -
    G.T. picked the last of the apples from their one tree this week-end and made an apple pie with raisins, walnuts and cranberries - sounds good, huh?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Didn't someone here recently mention Loretta Laroche?

LORETTA LAROCHE  
    LORETTA LAROCHE

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 8:00 PM EDT 2013-10-17T20:00
    Scullers Jazz Club, Boston, MA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It's on information the teacher sent out. Looks to be some sort of speaker about a type of art.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, she did attend a support group for a while at the assisted living facility, they live in. But it depressed her more than it helped her. Recently a new couple moved in across the hallway. Husband is worse our friend, or so they say - can't it be any worse? And the two ladies, have found support and company in each other.
    We have know each other for over 40 years, so she feels she can pour her heart out to us. This is a case of friends in good times AND BAD times. She has very slowly come to the realization, that even though her husband is alive, she has become a widow, and needs to get on with her own life.  She is trying really hard.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

tt, she did attend a support group for a while at the assisted living facility, they live in. But it depressed her more than it helped her. Recently a new couple moved in across the hallway. Husband is worse our friend, or so they say - can't it be any worse? And the two ladies, have found support and company in each other.
    We have know each other for over 40 years, so she feels she can pour her heart out to us. This is a case of friends in good times AND BAD times. She has very slowly come to the realization, that even though her husband is alive, she has become a widow, and needs to get on with her own life.  She is trying really hard.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

That's too bad she had a less than positive experience.  I'm going by the friend's experience.  She was put in touch with an Alzheimer's support group through Elder Services.  There were other spouses and caregivers there of all ages, dealing with people in different stages of the disease.  She found at first that they were helping her, and then when newer people joined, she felt good that she was able to talk about things she had gone through with her husband, and help them.  They actually had a lot of laughs along the way, as she and I did when she'd retell some things that happened with her husband.  It wasn't laughing at the person, but the ridiculousness of the situation

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, they are 9 classes in my certificate program. This is the first one. I'll be taking one in the Winter semester then either one or two in the Summer and another in Fall.

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT there was a song some years ago - maybe Jimmy Buffet- the refrain was "if we couldn't laugh we would just go insane."  I am sure that's how your friend felt.  And maybe now that Pingo's buddy has one support person, that will be enough for her.  Different people process differently and have different needs at different times.   Sometimes it takes a village - and sometimes it takes just one.

Tents - yes - it was not that cold if one is prepared - fleece socks, fleece pjs, good 0 or 20 degree sleeping bag, ground pad, hat/hoodie and nose in the bag on Friday night - Sat was warmer!  So it was ok.

Winter, glad to hear the teacher liked your project! Are you feeling like a real artist?  I was just at Michaels and was able to help someone find materials they needed that the clerk didn't know about - that made me feel good!  Knowledge is never wasted - even 20 or 30 years later it may come in handy.

Just went shopping and bought some pork to make with apples and onions later this week.  Fall!!!! is wonderful.  Kar, I wish I could taste your pickled zucchini - I can't imagine it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats's comment:

TT there was a song some years ago - maybe Jimmy Buffet- the refrain was "if we couldn't laugh we would just go insane."  I am sure that's how your friend felt.  And maybe now that Pingo's buddy has one support person, that will be enough for her.  Different people process differently and have different needs at different times.   Sometimes it takes a village - and sometimes it takes just one.

Tents - yes - it was not that cold if one is prepared - fleece socks, fleece pjs, good 0 or 20 degree sleeping bag, ground pad, hat/hoodie and nose in the bag on Friday night - Sat was warmer!  So it was ok.

Winter, glad to hear the teacher liked your project! Are you feeling like a real artist?  I was just at Michaels and was able to help someone find materials they needed that the clerk didn't know about - that made me feel good!  Knowledge is never wasted - even 20 or 30 years later it may come in handy.

Just went shopping and bought some pork to make with apples and onions later this week.  Fall!!!! is wonderful.  Kar, I wish I could taste your pickled zucchini - I can't imagine it.

True, I know with my g.f. when the time came she could see that she had helped a newcomer (as you did today at Michael's), it gave her a lift and a different perspective.  And, there are different groups, the first one she attended was very small, and since everyone was in just about the same spot, very little give and take of what someone had already gone through, or tips on ways to handle different things that cropped up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, did I ever mention that G.T. went online and followed a process to refrigerator pickle cherry tomatoes? 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, you remind me of my girl scout days. I could do then, what you did this weekend, but definitely not now. It seems so long ago, but you brougt the good memories back.

Re support group. In our friend's case, she started support groups in the early state of her husband's disease, while they were still living together. The groups, she attended, had spouses from patients, that were much further ahead in the disease. Everytime, she left depressed, thinking of her husbnd become just like that. I am glad she found a buddy; she seems a lot more comfortable with her. Maybe it is b/c, like you both said, that she feels good she can help someone else. She has always been the giver her entire life, never the taker.

It is pretty nice out now. Started out with a jacket and a scarf. They were both on the seat coming home. Did my thing at UPS. Then went to Rite-Aid to pick up my detergent. Buy one, get two free. Couldn't let that slide by. Then to Hannaford to pick up more baking stuff plus dinner for tonight. As soon as I got in, DH called. He might not be at home tonight for dinner. Oh, well.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo I feel it...I had planned a nice dinner but I did not get home and to have lunch until 3 so i will eat salad and he will have salad and...it's so hard to be flexible sometimes....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

have to head out in a few. Hope everyone has a nice night.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo what kind of detergent? That's a great deal.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I will not be on tomorrow, so no one will be concerned.  Going out early, and won't have time to do all the clicking back and forth up and down in and out I have to do to be able to post here.

I'll try again Thursday when I expect to have more time.  Have a good one -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Will miss you tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Well I'm all caught up on Oxtober chat.  I've enjoyed reading the updates - although the reason I am all caught up is a bad one. dd2 came down with a double ear infection and she was awake most of last night - and so was I! Poor thing, she was so tired but her ears must have been hurting her whenever she tried to lay down. Eventually I was able to get her to sleep and got an appt today with her pediatrician who confirmed what I already suspected. Luckily, with medicine, she should be feeling better soon and hopefully nobody else will catch it.  I am supposed to go to work tomorrow but it's looking like I may need to take a sick day to care for her.  

TT - it's a hike for you but I like Cardis furniture. We bought a few things from there with good results. Our go-to place for furniture is Jordans. Good luck finding your table. My kitchen isn't huge and I rely a lot on my table for cooking counterspace. Would love to get something like your Xmas tree find for our house but no room. 

kar - reading about your turkey dinner made me excited for thxgiving! Can't believe how quickly the fall is going by.  

Pingo - sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like a tough thing to go through and you are very supportive. Old friends are special like that.  

Winter - I enjoy reading about your projects.  I liked school/being a student and miss it sometimes 

hats - I tried to post a pic of my bench cushion. Didn't work

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Purex - all kinds.

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Pingo what kind of detergent? That's a great deal.

- Darth Vadar