October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: October 2013

Nice to see you post, Rama. Sorry to hear about yur DD2's ear infection. I was up nights with the kids, when they were young. Fortunately they outgrow them, unless there is an abnornality in the ear.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Really strange. It posted by itself, without me submitting. Hmmm!
    Anyway, I wanted to ask you, what kind of craft project, you have going right now. I picked up a huge bag of beautiful cones, while in NH. Some of them has moss growing on them. I want to do something with them. Not necessary a wreath. I am looking on the internet for ideas.
    Hope your daughter feels better tomorrow, so  you all can get some sleep.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo said:

Anyway, I wanted to ask you, what kind of craft project, you have going right now. I picked up a huge bag of beautiful cones, while in NH. Some of them has moss growing on them. I want to do something with them. Not necessary a wreath. I am looking on the internet for ideas.

[/QUOTE]

Pingo, I hope you are looking on Pinterest.  There's a million pine cone ideas there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

Haven't caught up after being in the kitchen all day yesterday processing about 14 lbs of apples into 8 pints (7 to store) of my 4th batch of applesauce.  Also made about 3 gallons of vegetable soup from the garden to freeze.  Today's agenda?  Exactly the same as yesterday.

I did see your post about GT's cherry tom refrigerator pickles, tt.  I'm intrigued!  Did he use green ones?  Sweet?

Rama, indeed, Fall is flying...soon, so will the snow.

Just had breakfast of a piece of spelt toast after having taken the bread out of the freezer last night...it's all for me, now, so not sure how often I'll be making it.   It's darned tasty, though, so maybe!  I put half a banana and some fresh applesauce on it...omgosh, perfection imho...or not so humble, lol.

Thank goodness for the Wellness Mat or I'd be about in tears to stand out there all day, again.

ETA:  Pingo, I like to put those types of things in clear glass vases just plain.  But, I'm lazy in the arts and crafts department so you might not want to go by my suggestion. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You are right about the glass vases, Kar, but there are touches that can enhance the pine cones while still giving a natural appearance.  Krylon has several sprays that I've used - clear sealer whihc makes them a little glossy, and glitter, which is a clear base with a bit of glitter that makes them catch the light differently.  You can also go with the 'a little paint on the edges looks like snow' approach.  Also there are other ways to display - on ribbons, as garlands, etc. all of which you can see on Pinterest.  Wreaths, too, don't have to be round and they don't have to be all cones....I love to look at ideas and make them my own!

TT, I have a big bag of cherry toms I would consider pickling but I don't like dill.  What did GT use?  Did he use a needle to put a little hole in them as most recipes advise?

Rama, I wish I could see your cushion.  I had a long talk with my sister the other day; she's recovering all of her chairs with fabric and a staple gun....she sent me a photo - they look nice in a blue background with red floral foreground.

I want to start making Xmas gifts but still have too much to do!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Wow Kar, I'm tired just thinking about what you did. Rama, so sorry about your DD, I hated when DS had ear infections, eventually he had to have his tonsoils and andoids out. Pinog, you could put them in a big glass vase with a set of small white Christmas lights and some holly, etc. tt, hope you have a lovely day out today. I'll miss you.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just saying "Hello" - running out the door taking DH's car for service. Will check in later.Have a good day all.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, me, too...and we got up at 5:30 this morning to boot.  Not looking forward to repeating yesterday, but have to admit that it will be nice to have all this food done when there's snow on the ground.  Can you post photos of your wedding themed brochure?

pingo gl with the car.

looks like a gorgeous Fall day...cold in here, though - nearly time for the first fire!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar the file is too big, so I can't post it. It's a PDF and I can't make it any smaller in jpeg.

- Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Thanks for all the well-wishes for DD. She slept through the night and is feeling much better today, thankfully.  Medicine does wonders.

Anyone have any good pumpkin seed roasting recipes? I tried it last night while we were watching the Sox game and they came out just ok.  We love munching on salty/spicy pumpkin seeds as san alternative to popcorn.

Hats, no crafts projects in my immediate future, other than the frequent "art projects" i do with the kids, which usually involves DD1 cutting up one piece of paper into shapes, coloring them,and gluing them to another piece of paper! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

That's mosaic work, Rama!  Can you move him into pasting tissue paper onto baby food jars and adding the battery powered candles to make 'stained glass' candleholder gifts for XMAS?

Paint chips are good for cut and paste - the pretty colors and the nice texture...lots of paint chip art on Pinterest. Yes, Pinterest is my main source of fun these days.

I will not comment on the pumpkin seed thing; never was able to get them to taste good...

Earaches are a painful rememberance I don't want to remember...age 0 to 7...aaargh!  Some kids just are more susceptible than others.  But they grow out of it, usually.....a good decongestant can help when they are a little older - less fluid for the bacteria to grow in and less harmful than the antibiotics IMNSHO>

In response to rama8677's comment:

Thanks for all the well-wishes for DD. She slept through the night and is feeling much better today, thankfully.  Medicine does wonders.

Anyone have any good pumpkin seed roasting recipes? I tried it last night while we were watching the Sox game and they came out just ok.  We love munching on salty/spicy pumpkin seeds as san alternative to popcorn.

Hats, no crafts projects in my immediate future, other than the frequent "art projects" i do with the kids, which usually involves DD1 cutting up one piece of paper into shapes, coloring them,and gluing them to another piece of paper! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone, and happy October!  I've been distracted lately house-hunting.  In the past two weeks we've been in bidding wars for two different houses, and lost both.  Keep telling ourselves "what is meant to be will be" but still a little discouraging.  The upside is that we are finally finding properties in our price range that we like - but so is everyone else it seems!

Other than that, no real news.  Baby girl has been invitied to four different costume events in addition to trick or treating.  I can hardly keep up with her social calendar.  She's dressing up as a puppy, and I made her "treat bag" to look like a milk-bone box.  DS seems to be adjusting to high school just fine.  He's getting good grades and is all excited for a website project he has going on for social studies.  AFM, I've resolved to start my Christmas shopping early (and online), so I am working ont hat list adn gathering ideas and sizes for the neices and nephews.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, I roast pumpkin seeds all the time.  Wash them thoroughly to get all the goo off in a colandar.  Then, pat dry with paper towels and spread to finish drying on wax or parchment paper.  Lightly coat with high heat oil and season; I spray them with TJ's coconut oil and toss with salt and pepper.  Spread evenly in one layer on a rimmed cookie sheet. Roast 20 minutes at 325, toss and bake in 10 minute increments (tasting for doneness and tossing) until crispy and lightly browned.  It takes about 40 - 50 min, I think...not sure because I just take them out when they are done and haven't noted the exact time.  All traces of chewiness/moisture should be gone when they are done.

Nov, GL house hunting - it is such a stressful high stakes roller coaster ride!  I wish we could see a photo of dd in her puppy costume!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back from dropping off the car. DH treated me to breakfast at Cracker Barrel :) Beautiful ride through Tewksbury.
    His rims have cracks and dents from a couple of years of potholes. Getting brand new rims was $$$$$$. We got this place - RimPro - recommended by several. They will fix them like new for less than half the cost. Have to pick up the car in a couple of hours.

Thanks for all the suggetions of using my pine cones. I have heard of Pinterest, but never looked into it. Guess now is the time. Thanks for suggesting it, Hats.

That's a lot of apple sauce, Kar. And a lot of work too. Do you add cinnamon to some of them?  Have you ever tried to dry apple slices to have for snacks?

I am kinf of cold here at my office. The heat was on, but the guys were too hot, so they turned it off.  Need to have them bring dowm my little heater. 
    Better get some work done. Before I know, I have to take DH back to Tewksbury.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kar, thanks for the recipe.  Do you just use salt/pepper and no other spices?  You think grape seed oil would serve the same purpose as coconut oil?  I have a lot of that on hand because I participated in a direct sales food company workshop and won a raffle of three bottles of grapeseed oil that they were promoting.  I have been using it for a few months instead of olive oil and love it - much higher flash point so things cook very well in it and you only have to use a little bit.  It's $$ though so I will have to decide whether to invest in another bottle once the freebies run out!

Nov, did you make the puppy costume? I haven't done anything yet for either DDs costume.  DD1 was a duck a few years ago - a cute costume I made - and I think I may just have DD2 wear that costume, if she fits into it.  DD1 is all over the place with what she wants to be. I haven't wanted to start a costume beacuse she keeps changing her mind so we will probably have to just take her to a halloween store and let her pick a costume out herself.  At 3.5 she is finally old enough to get excited for halloween, which is so fun to see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutely, grapeseed oil would be great.  I've used many different spices, but we like the salt and pepper the best.  I've used  salt/curry, salt/smoked paprika, and apple pie spice.  Be liberal with the salt; it seems to disappear somehow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, I keep a pashmina and fuzzy socks at my desk so that I can bundle up if necessary - my office is frigid too.

All this talk of applesauce is killing me.  There's a big bowl of apples out there...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'd like some applesauce please....I'm not sure DS is going in costume this year. I suppose it will depend on what the other 7th graders in the neighborhood are doing.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm drowning in it, lol.  Got 2 quarts and 2 pints, but one of the pints hasn't sealed yet so we might have to eat it right away.  also got another huge pot of veggies on for more soup to freeze.  Walked Gracie and am about to vacuum.  Maybe going to trips house tomorrow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Chilly last night, but we are not turning the heat on yet. Anyone have any weekend plans? We have another soccer game and basketball tryouts on Saturday. Sundays usually consist of laundry.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

post i typed is gone.  yuck.  Winter, I hate turning on the heat too so I put a fleece and socks on before bed last night and woke up without them this morning.  I slept well, I guess, because I have no memory of taking them off!

Anyhow, it's cold here but wearing more clothes is fun - love my fleeces and socks...getting ready for some meetings I am facilitating so it's a day of planning and gathering materials.

Weekend; some home improvements on Sat. and  brunch with a friend on Sunday.  Monday is fluid; not sure at this point.  Winter and Rama and you other workers, do you have Monday off?  DH does not but I will.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

So far not too much trouble moving around here, maybe because there's not too much activity going on yet any place on the Forums page.

Hats and Kargiver, I asked G.T. about his pickled cherry tomatoes - he had sent me a pic when he did them, wish I could post it on here - , in pint canning jars - so pretty.  He cut them in half and he said he did use dill because he loves it.  That's all the info he offered, other than he had googled online to find the procedure.

Winter, between regular emails I do and here, can't remember if I mentioned my GS is having his braces put on tomorrow?  Last Fri he had the spacers put in and when I talked with him Sat, they were hurting.  I don't think he realizes how uncomfortable he might be at first at least - a lot of the other kids already have the wire ones, so that's what he's going with.  How has your son made out with his?  Any tips I can pass along?  The only "tip" I gave him was to eat the bag of birthday candy that's always a part of my birthday present to him - BEFORE tomorrow!  HaHa - his parents may not be laughing.  Along those same "teeth" lines, my oldest GS (how old is he now?  He's a senior in college - -) is having his 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once in another week.  On antibiotics for a infection from one and a face that was out like a balloon.

Novem, I think the puppy costume is the costume of choice this year.  Next door neighbor has been minding her little GD (14 mos) who is the cutest little thing.  Her grandmother says she looks for me every morning, as she does her track run around and around the deck!  When she sees me, her little arms go out through the railings, wanting me to pick her up.  She's going to be a puppy too, and I heard someone else - can't be pumpkin because I'm sure he's going to be a minion.  Good luck house hunting, btw.  Only did that once, and I couldn't believe some of the places we were shown even tho we had made it clear what we needed, room to set up a couple of rooms off by themselves for my mother.

Rama, I haven't googled Cardi's yet to see where it is, but thanks for the suggestion.  I really love the set I have, it's solid oak, and if it weren't for pedastal splitting, I think from the weight of the glass I had made for the top to protect the surface, and also the damage that has been done now that the glass isn't on there, I wouldn't be looking.  I so love the island, haven't returned it yet, am trying to see other rooms even where I might use it.

As for pumpkin seeds, I've always washed, dried, and roasted them salted, on a piece of foil on a cookie sheet.  My mother used to do it the same way.  Can't remember what temp or how long, since now there's noone to eat them but me, and that salt isn't good for me.  It's not a fancy recipe, but just a hand-me-down way of using everything possible, for a fun snack when money was very tight.  Kids thought making them was fun.

And, finally, Pingo, the Cracker Barrel - haven't been there since my card playing neighbor and I parted ways.  Her husband used to take us there, he loved the idea of being able to get breakfast any time of the day.  I could drive myself there, but I'm not really sure of the way, and I hate 93, or at least I did the last time I drove it.  You're right, it is a beautiful drive once you get off the highway.

OK, that should take care of my posting for a week!

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, good luck to your GS. According to DS they hurt the first day or so, he ate alot of mashed potatos and pasta and ice cream (cold things made them feel better, hot things hurt. My DS only has the top right now, only because they are waiting for one 12 year old molar to pop up. Since they have to stay on the flossing and using the little tool they gave (I knew my son woudn't do it) I bought him a water pic water flosser. The dentist is pleased as punch. Pumpkin will be an adorable little minion, what's the little one going as?

Oh Cracker Barrell, love them. On the way to DC, we ate in one in NJ then on the way home ate in one in MD.

- Darth Vadar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

For the poster I need to make, it's about an art lecture series at the ICA in Boston. The topic is graffati art. I believe I'm going to use a black and white muted graffati background and then find a cool graffati font and use that in a few bright bold colors.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good Morning Everyone....another nice day, rain is due, but thats okay as long as the cold and snow stay away!!   Cracker Barrell, yummy, wish there was one here in Mass.  Used to stop in one in Ct. every time we went on an overnite trip with the Seniors.  I always picked up salt and pepper shakers there too.

November, good luck on your house hunting, our first house took us 3 yrs to find, we stayed there 28 yrs.!! So many things to look for, location of stores,church, school, etc. Many children on the street your looking at, closest bus stop (course than I didn't drive and we lived in the city), etc.  The house we are in now only took 7 mos. to find....

Till next time, take care all and Keep Smiling, ss 

Sections
Shortcuts