October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2013

In response to shakersilly2010's comment:

Good Morning Everyone....another nice day, rain is due, but thats okay as long as the cold and snow stay away!!   Cracker Barrell, yummy, wish there was one here in Mass.  Used to stop in one in Ct. every time we went on an overnite trip with the Seniors.  I always picked up salt and pepper shakers there too.

November, good luck on your house hunting, our first house took us 3 yrs to find, we stayed there 28 yrs.!! So many things to look for, location of stores,church, school, etc. Many children on the street your looking at, closest bus stop (course than I didn't drive and we lived in the city), etc.  The house we are in now only took 7 mos. to find....

Till next time, take care all and Keep Smiling, ss 

SS, there is one in Wrentham at the outlet mall, and the one I talk about is in Tewksbury, too far for you, but if you google cracker barrel locations it will give you a listing of where they are in each state.

on my way out - later -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Nice to see your post, ss. There are at least two Cracker Barrel in MA. One in Tewksbury and one in Wrentham. We have been to both. The food is good and homey. How are you doing at Foxwood? We went to our pizza place a few days ago. They have Keno there, and it was or lucky night. Out of 10 games, we won something in 5 of them. One of them $50. All together we left w/ $66.
    Hats, I have a fleece at the office and I bring a pashmina with me, where ever I go during the cold season. I can't be cold on my neck. But I never thought of fuzzy socks. Will have to get a pair.
    tt, if you don't like 93 (who does?) you could go all the way on 114 to 495. Then it will just be a very short stretch on 495. Sounds like you are in love w/ your island. It does have a lot of storage space. Could you possibly rearrange your kitcjen a bit and still keep it? Maybe you could compromise and get rid of two of the wicker chairs and get room for the island in that room.
    Kar, I suppose you posted a pix of your applesauce, but all I se and have seen is the gorgeous cheese cake. Not that that is a bad thing. Anymore canning on your agenda today?
    Waiting for my cleaning crew. Late again today. It bothers me, them being late, since is messes up my day. I know, I am lucky I have them, but I could have gone out and come back, if I knew they would be late. Now I am just in the waiting mode, ironing, watering plants etc. That's not a bad thing - it has to be done anyway.
    Just heard from a friend, her 3 year old GD has Foot and Mouth disease. It is extremely contageous amongst young children. Watch out for your little ones.
    Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran out to get a haircut and pick up some catfood.  Hairdresser mentioned Marty's - I think they're in Melrose?  I'll have to google them.  She said she's been married 25 years and still has the set her mother gave her from there when she married.  Yes, Pingo, I am "in love" with the island, and just this morning measured in the room off the kitchen.  I think if I take the wicker low table out from underneath the window, and move the chairs just a bit, I will be able to set this island up there, leaving the couch and rest of the room set up as it is.  Cookbooks that are now on the underneath shelf in the table could go in the baskets on the island, plus I would have the extra deep drawer and cabinet storage.  White will look fine in there, especially with the white wicker.

I didn't know what a pashmina was until I saw you were going to put it around your neck, Pingo!  lol

Foot and Mouth - Lilly got that when she started kindergarten, just about the same age.  I was horrified, but then learned it's more common than one would think.

Can't leave this page to go back and see if there's anything on the previous page I wanted to respond to, - oh, Winter, thanks for the tips about cold soft food and the water pik.  They really don't cater to this wonderful boy, and I'm sending an email to his father right now with your suggestions.  the day he went to get the spacers put in he had been sick and to the doctor, he was feeling so miserable, and when I suggested they change the appt. til he was feeling better - "oh no."  If they'd remember back to their childhood, they'd remember I always was compassionate and accommodating with their illnesses.

OK, I'm starving, bought some Boar's Head turkey breast and provolone yesterday, so may just make a nice thick sandwich with added lettuce, tomato and thinly sliced cuke.  Hot cup of coffee to go with.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I knew if they wanted him to floss I had to come up with an alternative, you can't get the floss around teh braces without using this little plastic thing, too much trouble for a boy, if you know what I mean. Cafe downstairs is having chilli today, and it's calling to me. I'll be back. DS did tell me the spacers hurt more then the braces. Now he has a couple of "loose" teeth because they are moving around.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

So sad the Hilltop is closing, I know it's not the same as when I was younger, but still it's a landmark and their house dressing is awesome. Remeber waiting in line for what seemed like hours when I was little only to finally here...65 Souix City...

- Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

So sad the Hilltop is closing, I know it's not the same as when I was younger, but still it's a landmark and their house dressing is awesome. Remeber waiting in line for what seemed like hours when I was little only to finally here...65 Souix City...

- Darth Vadar

I did not know this.  Just googled.  IMO their food has gone down steadily over the years.  Last time I went there food was both unappetizing looking and tasteless.  Too bad to see a landmark disappear tho.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, WHAAAAATTTT? Hilltop closing. Just not possible. That was THE place to go to once. Their steaks and lobster pies were "to die for". Now not so much. After Guiffrida passed away, it has been going downhill. I am still shocked. No more cows. Wonder, what will be there instead. Do you know? Such good memories form that time, it was awesome. My UKS was scared stiff of the Indians there, when he was little, but I guess those statues were humongous in his eyes.

Sounds like a great idea, tt. And with the white wickers and the white island, you could still paint the walls cranberry or fern green. Sounds like a great compromise. Re the braces. A waterpik may be a great Christmas gift for a youngster, that is hard to buy for.

The cleaning crew just left. And I am starving. Better fix myself some lunch.

Question - have anyone baked Falafels instead of deep frying them? UKS wanted Falafels this time. But I don't like to to deepfry anything. So much oil. Besides the house stinks afterwards.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have never made them, but if he's got his heart set on the way he usually has them, fried, baked just won't taste the same.  One serving of fried anything never hurt anyone.

Burn a scented candle afterwards.  I have a grape one I light and set on the stove after frying.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It has declined in the past few years. In 2008 we had my sister's surprise 50th there, it was a lovely time. Going to miss the cows and the cactus. No word on what is going there it closes the 20th. The Waterpic I got my son was the smaller one, I believe it was $25. It does the trick just as goof as the more expensive one.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"Alternately, place on a greased baking sheet and bake in a 450°F oven for 10 minutes."

"You may bake the falafel to reduce the fat. They aren’t quite as good, but they are healthier."

http://georgefamily.net/food/?p=325

Regarding Falafel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My neighbor said she had heard M.B. was  originally thinking of that spot.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Taking a breather from cleaning the off kitchen room.  Throwing out the area rug that's been in there, moved once from the l.r. when I got a new rug for there.  Once walls have been painted, then will hunt for a new area rug.  Not asking, but perhaps when G.T. (did I mention he emailed today that they would be down Sat?) and partner come, one of them will feel the urge to put it together - - -  Hmmm???  While G.T. is cutting down a small tree in the yard, his partner might, just might, take it at least out of the box and look over instructions.  If not, it wouldn't be the first thing my cousin and I have assembled, some of them with not all the pieces in the right spots, but we did find places for every piece!  lol

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

While G.T. is cutting down a small tree in the yard, his partner might, just might, take it at least out of the box and look over instructions.  If not, it wouldn't be the first thing my cousin and I have assembled, some of them with not all the pieces in the right spots, but we did find places for every piece!  lol

tt

What would happen if all the pieces and the directions were out on the floor and you said "I tried but...?"  Just sayin'.  (Hope GT isn't lurking...) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you, Robin. I will give them a try.

tt, you are probably right, they won't be as good as the fried ones. But 1) he is a health nut and 2) it is few and far between, since I made them last, so just maybe, his taste buds don't remember.

Nice GT will come down and take care of your tree. I am visualizing your yard, it must be the most taken care of in the neighborhood. For the two guys, it should be easy to assemble your island. Make sure you have some wood glue available. They may have to glue a few pieces, and what comes in the box, is usually always dried out. If you can get to the instruction, you can read through it to see, if you need it.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

sorry for having been falling behind...almost embarrassed to post at all at this point.  The apples, vegetables, walking Gracie, again, and now GF experimenting has me away from the iPad...except for recipe research, lol.  And, today we've had spotty internet outtages to boot.

I made sorghum pasta and made raviolis stuffed with cheese, baba ganoush (from the party), and pesto.  I tasted it raw and think it will be a keeper.  Making a creamy white turnip sauce garnished with parsly from the garden.

skimmed just enough to be craving Cracker Barrel...I used to work at the Raytheon down the street from the Tewkbury one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

PS: Those scented candles can make people with allergies or hx of migraines very sick.

One of those pine tree air fresheners  (hung in the car) did a real job on me once...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, so glad you are keeping your island, I saw it set up and in person on Saturday and I like it. Man Kar, you've been busy.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It is not wood, Pingo, it is composite like my stairs.  I know they could do it, but hesitate to ask.  They do so much as it is, and G.T. had made a comment that he hoped someone put it together last week-end.  Actually, Hats, I don't think I can even pry the ends open to get anything out.  It's way too heavy for me to move from where son leaned it up against the wall.

Thanks, Winter.  I too, love it.  Have spent the afternoon cleaning that room and making room for it under the window.  There are a couple of ways the room could be rearranged to accommodate it, but I like it there, because as you stand at the doorway and look in, that is what you see first.

Kargiver, don't you ever get tired of cooking?  I like baking, but there are days I don't want to look at flour or a mixing bowl. 

I'm having leftover spaghetti with scrambled hamburg/fresh mushrooms, cut up sharp cheese for supper.  Hope there's enough leftover, I ate and ate it last night.  Pingo, I'm sure your son will enjoy the falafels whichever way you prepare them.  I have a recipe for them I tore out of a magazine, but have never made them.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I am SO tired of cooking, but with all of DH's issues it makes it hard to go out.  And, the crops come all at once.  I'm glad I have the new stove; this would be utter torture on the dysfunctional one.

ETA: I made falafal in the electric frypan in oil, and they fell apart.  Next time I pressed the balls into patties and fried in a small amount of butter next time on the stovetop, and it was MUCH better and easier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omgosh, forget the whining, it was all worth it.  The turnip alfredo was to die for, and the sorghum ravioli was nearly as good as that made with wheat.  DH said it was better than anything at our favorite restaurant!  SWEET SUCCESS!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, 

Huh, my signature line is gone - I wonder if that means bdc is still trying to fix the forum issues (and messing it up).

My poor old bones are yelling at me for all the standing, chopping, and peeling...didn't even want to get out of bed this morning.  But, her I am sipping my coffee and about to get caught up on this week's goings on. 

Before I do, let me tell you a great and gourmet (yet easy) way to cut alfredo calories by half - whipped turnip!  Make half of your regular roux based white cheese sauce and stir in velvety whipped boiled turnip with dry thyme and pinches of nutmeg and cloves.  I added seasoning salt and honey to taste, as well.  It doesn't taste "light" in the slightest - so rich and decadent.  It would make an excellent white lasagna...can imagine it would go excellent with sausage.  Tonight we're having it on roasted chicken thighs and broccoli.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Beware, it seems we can't edit posts anymore, either.  It let's you make the edit, but I hit "Save edit" and it just sat there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Sorry I wasn't able to post before I left last night to wish everyone a good night. Looks like I'll be doing all my homework tomorrow, not good at all, but sometimes life just gets in the way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Facebook and Twitter symbols now appear at the bottom of posts...so BDC is making their usual bad quality 'improvements."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh and did you notice?  The complaints thread has vanished....

Sections
Shortcuts