October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

I posted to the complaints thread with the new issues I noticed this morning...it's gone?

Winter, I always did my best schoolwork (grade - college) when I was under the gun...hope you are the same way!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I have a design in my head I just have to get it out there. But I too did my best work under the pressure, but it's not something I want DS to start doing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Yes, BDC is now again "improving" their software. One can't comment on the Globe articles either. Not that I wanted to, but I noticed it. I just don't get it. Don't they run a trial run? Whenever we get new software at our office, we run it parallel with the old one for some time, to make sure it works.  Not too hard to figure out.

Too bad you have to use your day off for homework, Winter. But just like Kar, I also got the best grades, when I did mine at the last minute. Will you be able to take DS to all his practices and try-outs? It seems your weekend is packed with them.
    Kar, I have never cooked with turnip, but I am going to try your Alfredo sauce in a white lasagna. The bechamel sauce, I normally make is loaded.
    I made a trial run last night on the Falafel using Robins link to the "t". I baked half and I sauteed the rest in butter. The baked ones came out fine. I flattened them in to small patties, sprayed a baking sheet with oil, and sprayed the patties with again lightly w/ oil, before I placed them in the oven. But the sauteed in butter were much better, and still lot less calories. The best ones were the baked ones crisped up on a pan in a bit of butter. So there you have it, in case you are interested. It really makes an easy lunch in Syrian bread with a bit of hummus and tzasiki, some slices of tomatoes and cucumber. And baking the patties, means one can make a batch ahead of time, and freeze them.
    DS is on his way right now. He will be in NY around noon time. In Logan around dinner time, and he asked to go straight to his favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. He can't get decent Mexican food in Birmingham.
    What is everyone else doing this weekend? Hope you all have a good one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

BDC won't print my posts when I hit "Add your post."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tried to paste what I had saved from this morning - lengthy post, but it disappears when I try to post it here through Chrome.  I can't handle this missmash any more.  Too much time wasted on this site trying to post.  Hope you all have a good week-end.  Pingo enjoy your son's  visit, Winter, hope you get everything on your agenda done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So aggrevating that they don't apparently beat test these changes before thrusting them on the whole forum.

Pingo, enjoyed reading the results of your falafel experiment.  Will definitely bake in butter next time - sounds like the easiest, too.  I have confidence you'll love the turnip alfredo.  I used the Vitamix and loosened it with enough milk to get it extremely smooth.

Winter, I think it's a personality thing - either it's DS's personality to spread work out over time or leave it to crunch.  I think the latter gets a bad rap for no reason; I got straight As that way and was no worse for wear at all.  It's how I worked best and nothing my mom did could change it, and now I'm not sure why she tried so hard to do so.

tt, funny, the only post you got to work was the one that says it isn't working...so aggrevating!  Honestly, I wonder what they do all day - it's been broken for YEARS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Rama, meant to say I took my wedding set to Barmakian last week.  They are estimating it will take 2 weeks; I feel naked.  I also dropped my screw back earrings off to get reset in regular posts...exactly what they started with.  What a waste of money to have them reset twice...live and learn.  I should have listened when they told me I'd HATE screw backs...yup, I do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Interesting - why do you hate your screw back earrings, Kar? I wouldn't have screw backs for custom jewelry, which I can't wear anyway due to allergies. I need gold; can't even wear silver. But for my diamonds and heavy gold ones, I feel the screw backs are a lot safer. Only problem I have now with the screw backs is, that due to my arthritis, I have a hard time to put them on and take them off (but you are far from that old). Doesn't really matter, as I wear my diamonds studs 24/7. Unless I "dress up" for some occasion. Glad you are getting, what you prefer. I was just curious.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sad you are having such problems with BDC, tt. Will miss your post, but I can certainly understand your frustrations.
    When we finally get used to the kinks in the program, they start to mess with the program again. Me think, these programmers are not really interesting in fixing it completely. It seems like they want to keep their jobs forever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I wouldn't miss his game or tryouts on Saturday. Worse case I'm doing the homework all night, since it's due at midnight, but I don't think it will take me that long.
    Kar, with my son's ADHA it's not good that he wants to the wait until the end...at least not yet. He's starting to be able to tell when he looses focus so he's close to knowing when he can and souldn't do stuff. Awe tt, will miss your postings today.  Have a good weekend if you don't make it back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I hate them for all the reasons Barmakian predicted (and I argued they were wrong):

1.  The threads make the posts rough and a tad wider than smooth posts.  I wear them everyday, and my holes would get itchy and irritated by it and I'd have to take a few days off or I'd get an infection from the abrasion.

2.  Taking them off and off every day did, as I was told it would, start to loosen the threads.  I had to wear nylon backs behind the screw backs to ensure they wouldn't work their way off without my knowledge.

3.  I don't have arthritis, but morning after morning, night after night of screwing them on and off became a laborious, time consuming pain.

4.  I found they tend to bend where the threads begin; I was nervous they would break there at some point.

Winter, that makes sense - I forgot about his ADHA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I have had the same diamond studs sice 1980 something, originally I didn't want the screw backs either, until one earring fell off, luckily I found it on the floor a week later.

Had the screw backs put on, and it never happened again.  I checked with a jeweler 10 years later about having them rethreaded, he said they were fine :)  If they are done right, they last forever.

I take mine off every day or two, sure there is irritation, but I would prefer that to losing an earring.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I've always been a "procrastinator."  But with time I have realized that I work differently from some other people.  Just because I am not sitting down with pen(cil) and paper or at a typewriter or at a 'terminal' or PC (all working methods in vogue over my lifetime) does not mean I am not working.  My subconscious is working all the time.  I may do my best thinking in the shower or before sleep or when sweeping the back porch or when driving in my car or when feeding a baby.  Some people like to take long walks.  Some listen to quiet music.  Some sit curled up on a couch rather than at a desk or table. 

Sometimes we need to think about work differently and to look at our children and analyze their methods to see if they are the same or different from ours and decide how best to support them.  And if they ruin your couch by sitting in the same corner for 3 or 4 hours every night for 8 years, well, was it worth $100/year to help him do his work?  Cheaper than a tutor!  Winter, sounds as if you think about these issues and look at how you can help your DS and that is good...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

TGIF all

kar, I hope your experience with barmakian goes well! I have been very happy uaing them. I'm not a huge jewelry person but I wear my wedding band set (three rings) and a pair of earrings every day, all from Barmakian. its important for jewelry to be comfortable and fit right so good for you for recognizing your "mistake" and putting on the backs that you prefer. 

I am off from work Fridays and took the girls to visit their great grandparents.  They are in their 90s and doing ok, still live independently. they love when we come to visit and my older daughter loves going because they feed her lots of treats she doesnt get at home and always send her home with a goodie bag of candy and other things she likes. 

This weekend we have plans to see some family and I may be going to the Red Sox game one of the days. A friend offered me a free ticket. The games are late and it's kind of a pain to get there but I would love to go.  Just need to check in with DH about it today to make sure he is ok with me leaving for the night. It's hard with the two little ones to do dinner and bedtime routine alonE. used to spending time with them just me but DH usually has me around for hep. I'm sure he will tell me to go to the game as it's a great opportunity to go without has into pay for the ticket But I want to just check to make sure he feels comfortable on hiA own.  Maybe I will see if my mother in law can come over to help him....

So beautiful out today! I think we will take a nature walk around the neighborhood and collect "treasures" when DD wakes up from her nap. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh Rama, that walk sounds like so much fun!

Better than sweeping the deck, but even that was a pleasure in this weather.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, oh WOW! Never, ever had those problems with mine, so I was at loss, why you didn't like them. I am highly allergic to non-gold metals. Therefore I can't wear custom jewelry; not even gold plated. If I remember correctly, my studs are set in 18 or 22 karat gold. Also, my threads is not all the way in - only at the end. What is sitting in the ear is w/o threads. Maybe that's why I haven't had any problems. I can see it is a pain in the neck (no pun intended) to have to remove them every night and put them on again every morning. Hope you will be happy with the re-setting, and that you won't lose them. Thanks for the explanation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I have had 2 friends who hated the threaded backs!  They had their diamond earring reset vs just changing out the back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

-----And if they ruin your couch by sitting in the same corner for 3 or 4 hours every night for 8 years, well, was it worth $100/year to help him do his work?  Cheaper than a tutor! ----

Hats, I agree on everything you said in your above post, but you certainly lost me on what I quoted you here. What do you mean by $100?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I DID lose one and never found it; that's why I originally got them changed to screw backs.  But, I hate them and am wearing them less and less.  No sense having diamond studs I won't wear because they are uncomfortable.  Barmakian said they NEVER use screw backs (even for their multi-carat super $$$$ ones) unless the customer insists.

Pingo, my threads don't go through the earlobe part, but scraping them in and out was a real problem since it's every day.

rama, thanks for the encouragement and for the recommendation to go back to Barmakian - I can't wait to get it all back, but at least I'm not worried about it.  I'm not a huge jewelry person, either, but the pieces I have are from DH and I feel pretty wearing them.   I hope you can go to the Sox game!  DH will be fine.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

By the way, I replaced the lost diamond at Blue Nile (Bluenile.com) - a perfect match for far less...I have no idea which is which.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to allreadymarried's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have had 2 friends who hated the threaded backs!  They had their diamond earring reset vs just changing out the back.

[/QUOTE]

You have to have them reset to change the posts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

-----And if they ruin your couch by sitting in the same corner for 3 or 4 hours every night for 8 years, well, was it worth $100/year to help him do his work?  Cheaper than a tutor! ----

Hats, I agree on everything you said in your above post, but you certainly lost me on what I quoted you here. What do you mean by $100?

[/QUOTE]

$800 couch ruined by someone sitting on it in the same place for hours every day for 8 years works out to $100/year!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Aha, Hats, I got it. Actually a lot more than $100. Obesity, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes etc. It will add up in a life time. But unfortunately some parents don't set boundaries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry to hear you lost your diamond, Kar. Maybe you can ask the jeweler now, which one is which and have him mark it. He should be able to tell.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo.  GIA wise they are equivalent so it really doesn't matter which is which, just saying that you get a lot more value at bluenile than a brick and mortar store, and they are highly reputable.