October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

I'm so happy to basically have leftovers for dinner!  Yahoo, boy, did I need a break.  Tonight, I'm roasting dark chicken quarters and sweet Italian turkey sausage to go with already cooked broccoli that will be doused liberally with turnip alfredo sauce.  Can't wait...I can smell the chx already.  

Now that my rings are sized down I better stick to the whipped turnip version of alfredo sauce, lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ETA: I wonder if we can edit, now.  Anyway, with the forums being so messed up, Pingo, wanted to make sure you saw my response on the bottom of the previous page.  

it, tt, we miss you, but understand the frustration!!!

(tried to add this to above post, but still no edit functionality, sorry for the kargiver spam)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Has everyone given up?  Ugh, what a mess this software is...

dh has to work tomorrow (traveling for Monday's meeting) and is leaving in the morning and won't be home until Tuesday night.  I wonder what Gracie and I will do tomorrow...something away from home I can guarantee!

hoping everyone has a great weekend.  Thinking of you :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We are going slowly here this morning - it's a holiday weekend and it's gray outside.  I am out of coffee, so sipping a second cup of tea and eating a toasted blueberry scone. 

I have a lot to do today, once we get going, and a lot of reading to catch up on, too - I already browsed the New Yorker and read a couple of chapters of the first of my 5 library books.  On Tuesday I will have to pick up a couple of books that I ordered from Interlibrary loan so I need to read fast!  When the local library does not have the books one needs, it's hard to judge when requests will come in especially if one is part of a queue.

Guess I will go and stare at the freezer and see if anything catches my fancy for supper.  No, never mind, I think a Costco chicken is in my future....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just finished emailing my Cat Lady friend and thought I would hop over here and see if BDC likes my posts this morning.  We'll soon see.

Made a batch of craisin scones as soon as I got up, cut them in 8ths this time instead of my usual 6 - a lot of good that did - because they were smaller, I ate 2!  Took some half moons out of the freezer and will frost them too to send home with the boys.  Not expecting them until 11:00 or after, and have already said, we will go out for lunch.  They probably dropped their jaws.  I never say that, but am tired of making the same old stuff when they come, because of their eating diets.  Funny thing is, I did see bok choy in the S&S this week when I shopped, but did not know then that they were coming.  Refuse to run to the store in between shopping expeditions, because that's what a run in there turns into - a shopping expedition.  Need milk, but that I can get at the convenience store.

Have the "space" invitingly open for them to see when they check out the room off the kitchen (I must come up with a name for that room - my DIL calls it the sunroom, but that's completely incorrect, the sun never shines in there!)

My week-end, except for today with the boys, and an invitation Monday afternoon with C.L. for tea, is an empty dance card.  Since I started a cleaning spree in the "room off the kitchen" (maybe referred to from now on as ROK?) maybe I'll wash the crystal etc in the china cabinet.  That's an all day project, to be sure each piece is dry enough to set back in on clean paper doilies.

OK, BDC, let's see if I'm back on your acceptable list today - - 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, the holiday weekend...hm, maybe there really is something fun out there to do tomorrow with the pup.

I love those chickens...one saved my butt earlier this week.  What will go with, hats?

We are almost out of turkey dinner leftovers; all that's left is a little stuffing and butternut squash.  We better eat it today, I guess.  Irony of ironies, the gluten free products make me painfully gassy - that's why there's still stuffing left, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, welcome back!  We were posting at the same time.  Had to laugh at your having 2 smaller scones; I do the same thing.  And, how I relate to saying let's GO OUT given everyone's food issues.  It does get tiresome to not be able to make whatever you want or to try something you think is ok only to find out it's on the no-no list.  Cleaning the china closet - holy cow you've been on such a cleaning spree.  I need to follow suit; been spending so much time in the kitchen the other rooms have been neglected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Of course I'm still sitting here in my nightgown -  heard the sound of car doors - looked out and the people across the street are having a yard sale.  Drats.  If I'd gotten around early like I planned, I could drag a few things out on my driveway and have an impromptu one.  Plenty of cars stopping.  Do I have the energy??  Means dragging things from upstairs - - (curtain closes)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was just thinking about our yardsale pile in the attic, too, tt...I know, the chore of it is nothing to sneeze at.  And, I need to find a suitable place to hold it - our driveway is absolutely not yard sale friendly; it takes people who come here regularly some time to get used to the fear of backing off the rock wall.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Happy to see your post, tt. Was worried, you were too frustrated to come back. Wish I had some of your energy. My china cabinet needs to get a good cleaning too, but I usually wait until closer to the holidays. I also need to polish my silverware. Too bad we don't know each other in person. We could do it together. I used to do that with an old neighbor, that moved away. We would put on some music, drink tea and chat away. Her house one day, then mine another - or the other way around.
    tt, I don't blame you for taking the boys out for lunch. It is so difficult to find new things to cook for people with self imposed diet restrictions. Do I ever know. I do hope you get your island set up. It should not take long for two strong men.
    Kar, I did see your post re the Blue Nile. I know, you have mentioned several times. Too bad DH has a meeting on a holiday. And even far away. Did you ever get to visit the trips last week? Maybe I missed it.
    Being out of coffee would "kill" me. I love tea, but it would not do it for me in the morning. Costco chicken is always good. I get a lot of meals out of one. I usually just serve it with cranberry sauce and cucumber salad the first evening, then make chicken pot-pie the next and finally use the rest for chicken salad. Not bad for $4.99. Speaking of cranberries. Hannaford sells them for just $1.69 this week. They freeze well, so I stocked up.
    We picked up DS last night and went out for Mexican food. So nice to have him back. Will do some jeans shopping today. Tonight our niece will be here w/ her husband. But we are taking them out. Probably Prince Pizza. She loves to have it every time she gets here. I am making an apple crisp for dessert. And I have ginger steeping for ginger ice cream. Better get off my tush and get my act together.
    On a different note. Remember Linen'n Things? I used to like them better than BB&B. They closet some years back, but I just found out they still have an online store - www.lnt.com - in case you are interested.
    Have a good day everyone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, I'd never buy diamonds at a brick and mortar store, but, then again, I'd probably never buy diamonds at all, that's DH's thing...not that I'm complaining, lol.  And, I am eager to get my rings back...I especially don't like going out without them.  I actually have a fake that looks exactly like my engagement ring, but no wedding band to go with.

nope, I didn't go to the trips' because DH expects to be home this coming Friday, and if I go then I can put on dinner there since I don't have to worry about Gracie in her crate.  Hopefully Friday works out.

Being out of coffee has caused me many a migraine over the years.  Tea is good, but I have to drink more of it than I think I do to make up for the caffeine loss.

Yum, Mexican food - I miss having a plethora of restaurants around.  Living in Framingham spoiled me that way.  Have fun tonight getting pizza with all your visiting family, Pingo.  Sounds like it's a "let's go OUT" kind of weekend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I have never heard of a jeweler advising a client NOT to have screw backs on a valuable pair of earrings, if they are that uncomfortable,  I would have the gems made into a pendant to hang on a thin chain instead.  Just saying, I don't like to lose things that have sentimental value.

Partial Screw Backs – A Compromise

Some screw back earrings are actually partial screw backs, with such backs only the top quarter of the post is threaded, the earring post is also usually thinner.  This makes for a more comfortable option that still has the benefit of providing your diamond stud earrings with plenty of security.  Partial screw backs can be put on by pushing the earring into the backing in the same way as push backs, however, to take the earring out of your ear the backing must be unscrewed.

- See more at: http://www.mazaldiamond.com/blog-en/what-are-screw-backs-earrings/#sthash.gVYjpyQV.dpuf

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

All of my earrings have regular posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, Rama, I definitely should have trusted Barmakian in the first place, but losing one really knocked me for a loop and I wasn't thinking.  I'm not worried about it, now - it was a sucky thing to lose, but in 30 years of wearing earrings it was the only one I ever did.  I think Gracie may have torn it about off when she jumped on me (she was a puppy) and I didn't realize it.  You should have seen me crawling around our lawn...I even rented a metal detector.  Not to mention the pooo I smushed in case she had swallowed it.  What a week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made a single serve gluten free apple crisp...smells good.  So cold...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, if only we  (I) could post pics.  My island is put together (my cousin and I NEVER could have done it) and in place under the ROK window - spectacular!  I'm so pleased.  Bags and bags of numbred scr*ws and other assorted pieces.  17 pages of step by step directions.  Took them over an hour to assemble it, but it's perfect where it is.

Went out to Kelly's for a bite to eat when they had finished.  I got the clam plate, good, but not nearly as good as Clam Box.  Don't know what they got, some kinds of wraps.  Then we went poking in Job Lots and they got a lot of stuff, some for this year's Christmas extravaganza.  When they got back they plucked a bunch of pine cones off my tree to fill a cylinder I have, and that sits with my "mammy" dolls on the cabinet I moved from the ROK to by the front door.  Cheerio even got a clipping on her nails, and new batteries in my wall phone so I can see the caller ID again!  Only thing left is the AC, but I didn't want to mention that, I know that's heavy and a job and a half.  There's always another day - and a different son - to do that.

It is so damp today.  My thermostat is staying set at 60 something to keep my comfortable.  Coffee with my lunch, so full of pep, and need to put it to good use.  It's so dark out, thought it was later than it is.  They were going to swing off a bit to visit a friend on the way home.  Scones and half moons were packed for their breakfast tomorrow.

Maybe I'll do a little in the toyroom.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a great day, tt!  I used to live literally next door to Kelly's in Framingham and agree the clams aren't as good as the Clam Box, but I had to force myself to not go there every night for dinner, anyway.  Nice of you to spread the manly chores out amongst the boys.  You set the therm to 60?  I'm frozen at 66...brrrrrrr.

just finished whipping up another batch of baba ganoush from the other half of the roasted eggplant I had frozen.  Now, on to another 3 gallons of veggie soup.

SIL may come visit tomorrow; I hope so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT so glad you got your island assembled!  I wish we could see it.  Tell GT and PT that we all thank them for helping you!

It's so cold - usually I serve the Costco chicken cold but am contemplating roasted carrots and mashed spuds with it to warm us up.  I feel sorry for all those at the baseball game tonight! 

Kar - tea vs coffee - good rule of thumb is 2.5 x as much tea as coffee to get equivalent caffeine...of course it's highly variable but if you have headache problems that should prevent.  I am still holding my coffee consumption down and have given up cream for lower fat milk.  Doesn't taste as good but it's ok.  I'm still drinking my lunch cup - need to stay awake tonight because I promised to go on a shopping expotition after supper....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2.5...hm, I think I must have had trouble because I only had double the tea as coffee.  Good to know, thanks.  Cream was one daily indulgence I didn't give up, but my only consideration was calories - no health concerns.  (Please, no saturated fat comments from the peanut galery.)

Shopping?  Fun!  I would love to go out shopping; I've done all my clothes shopping this year online...effective, but so boring.

Good idea heating up with a hot dinner - I couldn't deal with a cold sald tonight, I've been stinking cold all day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I checked my thermostat and while it is set at 64, it goes up to 68 before shutting off, so you can see I'm staying plenty warm for October!

Cheerio has begged for and had her supper amount of kibble, and I have found a good movie to watch "The 4th Floor".  Never saw it before - sort of a thriller, from what I've seen.  Back I go, don't want to miss too much -

Passed by the door of ROK on the way in here, turned, looked, and said, "I love that piece."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Passed by the door of ROK on the way in here, turned, looked, and said, "I love that piece."

http://www.christmastreeshops.com/flyer/get_flyer/182

Darnit, said I, I want to see that island!  So I went to the CTS website and - see link above.  Love the baskets - is that it TT?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As usual I can't click on your link and get there, but googled CTS current flyer.  Kitchen island $149.99 with baskets - yes, that's it.  I almost wish I had had them leave the towel rack on the side off, because without that, it looks like a storage piece that could go anywhere.  The shelves are very deep, giving me plenty of room for the containers I use to take large amounts of whoopie pies/half moons to wherever they are going.  It's going to be so useful.  I thought it was composite, but they said it is MPG or some such thing, I think a compressed substance that is used in some furniture now.  It looks and feels like a heavy plastic.  The top is bamboo. Quite handsome.  Quite a well made piece for the money.

One of the baskets will  hold my cookbooks.  The other perhaps napkins - not really sure yet, drawer, baskets, and shelves are all deep.  The wheels on the bottom, btw, have locks you can set so it won't roll if you don't want it to.  G.T. did lock them, so it will be stationary for now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

MDF probably - medium density fiberboard!  I wonder if someone could take the towel rack off for you?  Otherwise, maybe you have something pretty you could display - or hang from it - a little wreath, pine cones on ribbons for xmas, etc?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As you can see by the pic, the rack is on the side and doesn't face out into the room.  I probably could unscr*w it, but I know there was a packet of what was labeled water glue that I think was squirted into most of the scr*w holes too.  Anything I hang on it won't face out into the room, will just be a side view.  Not a big deal, I'm sure it will come in useful at some point.

How did your shopping expedition go?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

As you can see by the pic, the rack is on the side and doesn't face out into the room.  I probably could unscr*w it, but I know there was a packet of what was labeled water glue that I think was squirted into most of the scr*w holes too.  Anything I hang on it won't face out into the room, will just be a side view.  Not a big deal, I'm sure it will come in useful at some point.

How did your shopping expedition go?

Very well.  Friend wanted shoes, plain black flats, and found them easily - s oit was short and sweet.  Just having a cup of warm decaf tea and will probably be asleep in minutes.

Sounds as if the glue would keep you from removing the towel rack, certainly...and as you say, could come in handy...would it be big enough to hang a small afghan or lap blanket?

Sections
Shortcuts