October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2013

My thoughts exactly, Hats, as I woke up during the night.  I have a lap quilt  top of assorted colors that may fold slim enough to hang there, if not, I'll find something, maybe a special table seasonal table runner.

Let's see if BDC will accept my post this morning.  It wouldn't on IE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Have the two wicker baskets that came with the island out on the back stairs - hoping they will air out.  Boy, do they stink.  They're beautifully well made, strong baskets, but the smell is really obtrusive to my nose, anyway.  Smelled it yesterday, but thought it was just because they had been collapsed and that it would clear up.  Wouldn't put my cloth napkins in them at this point.

Checked my lap quilt and of course it is way too thick when folded to fit on the rack.  Once I get showered and dressed will open up my hope chest and see what's in there that I might use.

Ate the last 2 scones this morning, and since it's a holiday week-end, thinking nephew and wife might show up.   Used almost all the craraisins yesterday, but could always make a batch with plain raisins.  They're campers, but with the government shut down closing a lot of camping grounds, they might be driving down this way to catch our foliage. 

Determined not to get caught up on the computer today.  I'll try posting each message once, and if BDC doesn't take it - that will be it.

Kargiver, has your husband left on his business trip yet?  Any ideas what you and Gracie will do today ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

DH just left; of course I've been racing around as if it were Monday packing a cooler full of snacks and lunches.  He's hoping to have a fridge, but will buy ice if not.  Today, he'll have a chicken sandwich and soup in a thermos.  

tt, I LOVE the island!!  I think it will be just large enough to roll cookies, no problem.  It is very much like the one my trips friends have.  Solid.  Hats, thanks for the link.

Hats, did you find anything for yourself?  

Today is a bit up in the air because SIL, as of last night, wanted to come out today to visit with her lovely MIL (I know her quite well and enjoy her company), but she is very run down from work stress and wasn't 100% sure she'd be up to it.  I am praying she comes not only for me but I think getting out on this gorgeous day leaving any housework or, god forbid, work work, behind would do her a world of good.  I know what it's like to feel so drained, though, that you just can't.

If she comes, we will go out to lunch (at her insistance that I not cook) and not sure what else.  we there could easily just chat the afternoon away over tea quite happily.

if she doesn't come, I'll take Gracie for a long walk this afternoon; she's up to about anything now, nearly 3 months post surgery. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT you could try sprinkling baking soda on the baskets to absorb the smell - I often try that for bad smells...Hope you find something to hang there - any decorative elements sitting around?  Slates, lightweight pictures, etc?

No I didn't buy anything and was not looking!   I've bought a lot lately.  I had an allergic reaction to something in a store - Pingo's and my favorite kitchen store, Sur La Table, that set me reeling out of there to try to clear my lungs.  So I was not in the mood and was glad to go home.

Last night's dinner turned out well, in spite of not finding enough carrots to cook - in fact I was out of vegetables and cranberry sauce completely so I opened a can of french green beans and went looking for almonds.  No almonds.  So we had craisins and walnuts in the beans and they were totally delicious.  I'd been on a campaign to use up my pantry, guess it's been successful!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice combination idea for the green beans, hats.  Maybe I'll suggest that to G.T. for their Thanksgiving table - unless his MIL brings the green bean casserole.  

I use baking soda a lot for a lot of things, as my mother did.  Yesterday I filled the kitchen sink with hot hot water and a lot of baking soda and soaked the grates and plates from my stove in it.  In the meantime I wiped down the stove easily with a rag rinsed in the same water. Removes grease so easily, and left the stove sparkling.  I buy the largest box of generic b.s. in the store and keep that under my sink for cleaning.  But, in the case of the baskets, there are too many nooks and crannies in the weave for the b.s. to collect.  I may try when I bring them in, wiping them down lightly with a b.s./water soaked rag.  -  Harry eyed them when he came by to say hello, and my thought was, "Gawd, I hope he doesn't decide to "mark" them" !  He kept his distance tho and talked to me from afar.  lol

I've checked my freezer and have plenty of individual containers (that will thaw fast) of homemade spaghetti sauce, and a large container of pre cooked hamb and mushrooms that I could add.  I'm all set for drop in guests, there's always a variety of spaghetti on my cellarway shelves.  Baking powder biscuits will mix up fast.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, with my asthma and allergies I can relate to the pitfalls of store scents.  Too bad you hit one.  Remember when they used to spray you without permission as you walked into a department store?  What a disaster.

Ah, baking soda for the stove grates - that's what I'll use!  The tray under the burners is easy to wipe clean, but the grates which are a bit rough, seem to be designed to be difficult to clean.

smart to freeze in quick thaw sizes, tt.  I hope I won't regret freezing the soups in gallon sizes.

haven't heard from SIL so I think that means we are on...she said she wouldn't call unless there was a problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Watching Sunday Morning and saw the Sante Fe International Artisans Fair - people from all over the world.  Would I love to see that.  Then, was a piece on Bobby Orr - oh he was the hero of my boys as they played hockey down over the slope on the pond.  No helmets for pro players in those days, and he would whiz down the ice - and score!  Quite a nice guy still, by the interview.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Cool morning, but still no heat on. Trying to save those precious drops as long as we can. As long as it is sunny out, the sun will warm up the house.
    tt, I was to pleased to read this morning, that your island was all set up. I am really happy for you, that it worked out after all. Re the rod on the side. Could you hang the latest magazine you subscribe to on it? Also (and it is only a suggestion), - the ROK room doesn't sound cozy in my ears. How about calling it your reading room? You may not sit and read there much, but it sounds much softer and cozier.
    Hats, your beans sounds delicious. Funny how we make up new dishes out of need. I am trying to use up my pantry too. A can of crushed tomatoes  exploded; what a mess. I cleaned it up, but the red color left a large stain. DH gave it a coat of paint, and I swore to myself, that this would not happen again. I am now careful not to buy too much of anything, even though it is on sale.
    Hope your SIL will come for a visit after all, Kar. Maybe she feels better a bit later today. Did I hear 3 gallons of veggie soup stock? That's a lot of soup, but nice to have around. What do you use for it? All veggies from your garden?
    Had a lovely day yesterday w/ DS. He is out running right now. His half Marathon is next Sunday. When he gets back, I will have breakfast ready. Will do some shopping after breakfast, and then watch the Pats this afternoon. I have to take him to the airport tmw. morning, so I am enjoying these two days to the fullest.
    Have a nice Sunday everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exploded?!  Maybe I should do a pantry full court press myself.

3 gallons per batch of totally made soup, not just stock.  We've got about 8 gallons frozen so far.  Yes, all veggies from the garden except the garlic.  I've been chopping, chopping, chopping when I haven't been canning, canning, canning, lol.

Ah, I can just imagine how lovely that breakfast will be for DS made by Mom for post cool run.  Lucky boy!  :)  My town walking friend is training for another triathlon, too.  She jogs to my house, now, when we have plans to walk...I don't run...unless there's a bear behind me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No heat on here yet, either.  But, DH was thoughtful and put a wheelbarrow full of wood for me in the garage knowing I'll probably need the first fire of the year, at least at night, while he's away.  What a guy. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Aha! Fully made soup - that makes more sense. But I would definitely make smaller containers. Have you ever tried to defrost a full gallon? I have, and it needs ahead (plenty) planning. To heat it up in the pot is possible, but part of the soup, will be overcooked, while the rest is melting. Also, have you tried to use freezer bags? They can lay flat in your freezer, and are much quicker to thaw, as there are a larger surface.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They are frozen in gallon freezer bags so I think they should thaw overnight in the fridge at least enough to break up and heat gently in a pot.  I expect we'll just eat each batch until it's gone - DH doesn't mind repeat meals, thankfully.

looks like SIL is coming for sure at this point - I mean she would have called by now, right?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, thanks!!  I always stocked my extras in the basement, but lately I haven't been going downstairs, too much for my breathing....but this morning when I finish this I am going down to see what is left over, from my stocking up days.....going to dispose of anything that even hints it might explode.   Went to Salem,NH with DD yesterday and did do more stocking up, but most of it was paper products ,cleaning  products and health items, good prices and no tax!!  Also used coupons!!  Off to the basement, take care all and Keep Smiling SS

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you, ss.
    I even took several cans of crushed tomatoes and a few other things - that weren't expired yet, but would soon - to the the food collection in our town. I knew, I would never use them all before the expiration date. Hope they will do some good someplace else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just got back from a lovely day at Red Apple Farm in Phillipston - it was chilly (55 degrees) and my sweater was not quite enough, but the three of us gals had a great time.  I'm stuffed and relaxed for the afternoon of Fall fun.  

Tomorrow, I'll be joining you all going through the pantry.  Lots of stuff with gluten in it that we can't use, now, along with whatever has expired or is about to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you had a fun afternoon, frolicking at the Apple Farm, Kargiver.  You needed an afternoon out and away from the stove.

Are you sure about pitching all the food that isn't gluten free?  Unless it's near expiration date, I would hang onto it.  Your DH may find that gluten free isn't the answer to his dietary problems?

I have nothing to go through.  Don't stockpile, even with sales and coupons.  SS and I were talking about that last night.  She sends me coupons, but I told her not to send more than 2 of the same product that have the same expiration date.  I just don't buy more than 2 of anything ahead of time, i.e. All, Dawn, ff, kibble.  There's just me and Cheerio and we don't use stuff up that fast, plus I don't want to tie up a large amount of money at one time like that.  What I do need to do tomorrow in the food line, is go through the freezer and rearrange and make sure packets are labeled.  Already a couple of things are "guesses".  Is it spaghetti sauce, or leftover cabbage soup?  LOL

I spent the day doing a couple of washes, washing the kitchen floor, putting small dishes of vinegar in various parts of the cabinet (the wicker drawers are still on the back stairs), and then folding and putting away the washes as they came out of the dryer.  The Fockers are on now.  As many times as I have seen that, enjoy it, so have it on while the oven is heating for a Celeste pizza.

Had calls from my Newton son and my Nanny friend.  Those were nice breakups to an otherwise boring routine today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

BTW food pantries are not allowed to give out expired food, they have to throw it out.  In fact, unless it is over a year from expiration, the one I work at throws it out because they can't use it quickly enough.  So use it yourself, or toss it.  It's still good unless it's dented, smelly, etc.  (The food pantry volunteers actually end up sometimes using it themselves rather than throwing it out; it's against the rules but they hate to see it wasted.) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good point...I'm just kind of peeved to see it there, things like the Progresso breadcrumbs, and not be able to use it.  I suppose it doesn't do any harm.  I don't stockpile, either, but somehow things do get pushed to the back of the pantry and never get used in the kargiver kitchen.  I need to at least take stock and reorganize.

oh, thank you - I did need to get OUT and have FUN.  honestly, I think DH sees what I do as a permanent staycation, not a job that I'd need a VACation from.  He means well and is appreciative, but if you don't do the work you just can't get how much WORK it is.  My great-grandfather had an Ah Ha! moment when my great-grandmother was so sick she was in bed a week.  He did her tasks for that week and exclaimed he was embarrassed that he never knew that "woman's work" was as hard as any "man's work" and never called it that, again.  And, he had a tough, physically demanding job on the railroad as a brakeman (running on the tops of the cars spinning  the brake wheel)!  That was in the 30s.

You've got another big chunk of housework done, tt - good job!  Nice to have it broken up by callers.  I like the Focker movies, too.  Enjoy your pizza!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

P.S.  Starting the wood stove - no cooking to heat the house, and no DH to heat me!  Gracie will be sooooo happy when she comes in when the fire is roaring. So much for her crate except for bedtime, lol.  Cheerio can come share the stovefront real estate, Graice would be happy to have her company.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio is stationed by the open oven door!  When I took the pizza out and shut the oven off, I left it atilt and she's sitting with her back practically up against it!  But she said, Thanks for the offer!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lol, they are birds of a feather so to speak!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

A man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is never done...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed.  I do miss DH, but to have an evening to myself is savorable, as well, now and again.

The stove has risen the temperature 3 degrees, and it's made all the difference.  Funny how 70 v 73 is unnoticeable, but 65 v 68 is the difference between icy fingers and being comfortable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(has raised, sorry)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Came back after a good afternoon of shopping. Nothing for me though, but plenty for the two guys. Macy's had a big sale in the men's department, which we didn't even know of.

I certainly would never give anything to the food pantry, that was expired. But I had no idea, they only accept goods, that has a year or more towards the expiration date. Thanks for that info, Hats. But I am bothered by the fact, that they can't use goods fast enough. Maybe there is not as much need for it, as they want us to believe.
    Most of my stock were from Costco. I used to buy a lot of things from there,  just to have it around and not have to run around to get a can of this or that now and then. But I forgot, that we are now only two at home, and never downsized my shopping. Well I am now. I am not going to mop up crushed tomatoes splashed all over ever again. LOL

The guys are watching taped football while munching on hummus and crackers, with some Belgian beer. I am preparing the traditional football feast - buffalo wings, celery sticks and blue cheese dip. Then ginger ice cream for dessert.

Re munching. Hats, I made your cream cheese with the Pepper Jelly last night. Everyone loved it. Thanks! Next Saturday  we are having company, and I will go a step further. I will bake small tartlets and fill them with the cream cheese and a dollop of Pepper Jelly. Will be easier to handle for the guests.

Oh, the bell went off. Have to go and get the wings. Have a good evening all.