October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

Would you pass me a beer and maybe spare a scoop of my favorite, ginger, ice cream, pleeeeease?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It's not that there is not need, but that they only give out certain amounts of each thing based on how many people are in a family and other factors.  So a client gets 2 protein items, 2 pasta items, 2 tomato items, and two 'luxury' items etc.  regardless of how much or little there is in stock. (And pantries generally don't have as much room for storage as they would like, anyway, since they are in church basements, etc.)    Workers have to be very careful that no one gets more than anyone else and that there's no favoritism shown, no gaming the system, etc..  And then there's the fact that they have to have enough for everyone who is entitled (and clients have to have documentation from a social worker, clergy person, etc.), seasonal factors (so if there are families that are in and out of work, they don't know how many clients they may have from month to month and have to keep a little extra for those fluctuations.)  Between issues of fairness, differing demand, and regulations, pantry workers have a tough job to do.  Believe me, the food you get from the food pantry is not what you or I would want to feed a family on.  Rice, beans, pasta, cereal.  Very little fresh food. Very little variety.

And the pantries here in MA are the good ones.  My daughter worked in a pantry in Appalachia and it was really crap that they were giving out; leftover candy and soda and chips, yet the people were so grateful for even that.  So please support the pantries with donations of good quality food that isn't going to be expired before it can be used.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, I worked in a soup kitchen with our boys, but never in a food pantry. Thanks for giving me some insight on what is going on in a food pantry. It seems to me, that instead of two of each thye should up it to three of each, if they have such an overflow. Please tell me, what is considered luxury items. I would keep that in mind, when I add to the large box in our store, which I do on a regular basis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poor Gracie is wandering through the house crying and looking for Daddy...very sad.  And, it was a good thing I got it warm in here last night; we got a light frost and it's down to 64 in here, again.  It would have been in the 50s had I not had a fire!

off to get ready to go to the chiropractor.  Chat later, have a great Monday!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Kar - If you husband does not have a gluten allergy why do you have to elminate it all?  If he has an intolerance they say you can still eat the food in small quantaties and not day after day.  Maybe you can do half/half when cooking?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hats, I worked in a soup kitchen with our boys, but never in a food pantry. Thanks for giving me some insight on what is going on in a food pantry. It seems to me, that instead of two of each thye should up it to three of each, if they have such an overflow. Please tell me, what is considered luxury items. I would keep that in mind, when I add to the large box in our store, which I do on a regular basis.

[/QUOTE]

Luxury items include toiletries, cookies, snacks etc.  Anything that does not fit into the base categories of beans, canned veg, canned fruit, cereal, pasta, rice, canned soup.

BTW this is how my pantry works.  Others may work differently.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

While you ladies are cleaning out your larders, I'm cleaning out clothes I've hung onto - including some beautiful blazers that still fit, but I don't think they use shoulder pads any more do they?  LOL  I did manage to fold one and put that in the bag, but I'm still hanging onto a nice black one.  A couple of pieces every few days, is all I can manage to part with.  Had some folded tops in my closet and put them right in the bag for Vietnam Vets pickup too.

Nice morning, crisp, but I've purposely put on old comfy "clean house" sweats so I won't run out.  Have a short list of odds and ends to do this morning around the house.  C.L. double checked and is coming up this afternoon.  I may just bake a little something - she says no sweets - but then she usually brings something sweet up!  May see if she'd like to try a game of Spite and Malice, I'd love to have someone close by to play with every once in a while.  I'm afraid it will be too slow paced for her, but if she's willing, we'll give it a try.

Cheerio followed me upstairs purring, while I tried on clothes, she loves to get up there.  Her ambition one day is to get into that attic room with all the open rafters.  Thirteen years, and I've managed so far to keep her out except for once when she of course, ran right between the walls.  Coaxed her out that time, but don't want to take a chance again.

OK, 10:30, so now that I've had a nice little sit down, up and at em again.  Hope everyone is enjoying the day.  Kargiver, what do you and Gracie  have planned for the afternoon? Hats, are you doing some reading?  First on my list, I'm going to see what kind of damage I'm able to do on that tub that I have a hard time getting down to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I hear shoulder pads are coming back!!!

Cleaning up a bit; took the toaster oven out on the deck and emptied the crumb tray, wiped it down well, washed the rack.  Better to do that outside where the birds can clean up the crumbs instead of me.  Dust mopped.  About to sit down and read the MB flyer to see what to buy this week and make a shopping list.  Sorting out a few papers; since many people have holidays today it's a good quiet day to catch up on things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just came back from the airport --- for the second time. They had overbooked DS's flight from Boston, so he volunteered to take a later flight. Got a nice voucher for it. So he is now leaving with the first flight out tmw. morning. It worked out fine for him. The conference doesn't start until tmw. He is staying w/ a friend in Atlanta, so they were just visiting today anyway. I didn't mind to go back and pick him up - nice bonus for us.

Hope your DH reached his destination safely, Kar. Feel sad for Gracie missing daddy. Sounded like you had a fun visit with SIL and her mother. Haven't been on an orchard picking apples for a very long time. We used to go all the time when the boys were young. So what are you whipping up in your kitchen today? Any more soup or apple sauce - or have you by now used everything up?

How is the island, tt? Have you gotten rid of the smell? Maybe you could spray them with some Freebeze (sp?) - they promise "they don't cover the smell, they get rid of it". I have never used the product, but I see their ad all the time. I know, what you mean holding on to clothing. I have some nice suits and jackets, I will never wear again. But I have a hard time to give them away. Many of them have memories. I am getting better at it though, and like you, I will say good bye to one at the time.

DH and I were planning to go to RI to visit our friend, that recently had his second knee replaced. But obviously, that will not happen with DS at home. So the plate is totally clean - for now anyway. Maybe we will just take a leisure ride to watch the foliage. Don't have to go very far.
    Have a good day all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Febreze = toxic chemicals, look it up if you don't believe me. 

Air fresheners just mask the odor, they don't remove it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/questions/why-is-my-new-piece-of-furniture-emitting-a-nasty-odor
    Q: Why is my new piece of furniture emitting a nasty odor? Should I be concerned about my health?

This spring, I’ve been busy doing projects around the house, getting things organized and taking on dozens of projects to make my house fresh and clean.  Oh, the irony!  One of my recent projects was to build a new media cabinet I bought online from Crate and Barrel. This is one of the only pieces of “new” furniture I have ever bought and while it’s beautiful and was easy to put together, there’s a smell that it emits that’s becoming unbearable. I built it Saturday, and four days later, the smell seems to be getting worse and even when I leave my house, I can still smell it. I did some research online and was shocked to see how many other people are impacted by toxic smells and chemicals coming from new furniture, rugs and other household products. Some people refer to this as “off-gassing.” What is that?   I noticed some people take their new furniture out of the house and store it in a garage to let the smell disappear, but I do not have a garage. What should I do? Should I get rid of it? Should I be concerned about how this might impact the health of me, my family and my dog? Why is this happening, and why do so few people know about it? People report experiencing headaches, sore throats and respiratory problems. I have read that the problems are related to products made in China, swathed in formaldehyde, etc. What is the deal, Matt? Please help. I cannot breathe, and even at my office far from my home, I can still smell “that smell.”   Grossed Out in Georgia    A: Hey Grossed Out,   Jeesh. Sorry to hear about your beautiful but stinky — just curious, does it reek of pickles? — new media cabinet. There’s nothing more frustrating than conquering the headache that is furniture assembly to find that the headache doesn’t end thanks to off-gassed chemicals. And off-gassing, by the way, is the natural evaporation of a type of indoor-air-quality-compromising pollutant that you may be already familiar with: volatile organic compounds. You may be most familiar with the VOCs in the context of paints, stains and carpets, but they can exist in a variety of chemical-treated products.   The reports that you’ve been reading about off-gassing are correct. In many cases, the offending products are indeed made in China and swathed in formaldehyde, although this isn’t always the case. China often takes the blame because so much is made there and quality control is often lacking, but when it comes down to it, the manufacture of off-gassing furniture knows no geographic boundaries. And formaldehyde is a common culprit because it’s used to cure particleboard, pressed-wood and plywood, all manufactured composite woods. In reality, a stinky smorgasbord of chemicals can off-gas, not just formaldehyde, so while it’s good to be aware of the “F” word, don’t restrict yourself to it.   And yep, when folks are afflicted by the side-effects — headaches, dizziness, respiratory problems, nausea, skin irritation, shortness of breath, etc. — of chemically treated furniture, it’s a standard practice to place them outdoors to allow them to “breathe.” However, this doesn’t seem to be an option for you, so I’d recommend opening windows for proper ventilation, running air purifiers, and placing bowls of baking soda, white vinegar, and activated charcoal in and around your media cabinet. Also, look into the Bad Air Sponge, a great, inexpensive product that I use to conquer unsavory odors in my apartment.   If you continue to be plagued by the stench of your recent purchase (sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn’t), I’d look into contacting Crate & Barrel to see if you can return it. “It makes me physically ill” is a much more valid reason to return an item than “I don’t like the way it looks.” To steer clear of unpleasant situations like this in the future, here’s a few things to keep in mind before making a furniture purchase:  
    • Avoid furniture made from formaldehyde-treated composite woods and opt for “real” (preferably sustainable) wood furniture. In this day and age, this may prove to be difficult, so always consider going the vintage/secondhand route.
    • Consider buying a floor model, if possible. This way, the furnishing has had an ample amount of time to off-gas before it enters your home. Plus, you’ll probably save a few bucks.
    • Some furniture manufacturers/retailers give you the option of letting your purchase off-gas in their warehouse for a few days before you receive it. The extra wait may not be fun but if you’ve suffered adverse reactions from new furniture before, it’s well worth it. Just ask if this is possible.
    • Although the looks and dimensions of a piece of furniture are paramount when making a purchase, it does help to see where exactly it was manufactured. China should set off alarms although, again, furniture made anywhere can be treated with chemicals.
    • Ensure that any paints, stains and finishes used on the furniture are low- or no-VOC.
    • If shopping for upholstered furniture, make sure it's not treated with toxic flame retardants (PDBEs) or are marketed as being “stain-resistant.”
      Good luck, Grossed Out. I wouldn’t let this unsavory experience dissuade you from buying any “new” pieces of furniture since there are plenty of companies out there manufacturing quality, nontoxic items. However, I would practice caution when making future purchases. Don’t let yourself be distracted by good looks, low price and ease of assembly. It may come back to haunt you in the end in the form of a pungent pickle smell.   — Matt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lucky, Pingo, having  your son another day.  Such a beautiful one too.  Is the Topsfield Fair still going on?  If not, that Boston Road, I think it's called, or old Route 1, is a beautiful ride on a day like this.

Yes, I still can smell the new piece.  Left the drawers out until dark yesterday, then brought them in and set in small dishes of vinegar overnight.  Removed those this morning and have paper plates with spatterings of baking soda in there now.  Burned my grape candle for an hour this morning, don't want to offend C.L. and I think the b.s. is taking care of it somewhat.  Just checked a while ago.  I'm sure it will clear out at some point, I was just anxious to load it up and don't dare put my cake/cookie plastic carriers in yet, afraid they will pick up the smell.  No napkins in the basket part yet either.  If the baskets don't clear, I'll buy a couple of new baskets (after sniffing them first).  Have seen them everywhere, with the little pull out slot.  Funny thing is, I ALWAYS sniff things I buy in CTS just because of that, have returned runners and door rugs that had smelled of strong chemicals.  These baskets don't actually look like bamboo, but some kind of a shiny vine.  It will all work out one way or another.

having a cup of coffee now and getting ready for Y&R.  Good one today, poor DeeDee got hit by Adam's car, sounds as tho they might write her out of the show.  She's such a good little actress, not surprised.  I'm sure she has offers for roles where she would get more air time.

I'm off - - -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Allready, thanks, but I've tried for YEARS to reason with DH regarding the gluten thing...to no avail.  I've finally caved to make him happy - it's his diet and that's what he wants to eat or not eat, right or wrong.

Yes, we still have more of everything, and I intend to do both soup and applesauce today.  It's easier when I don't have to think about dinner.  I'd like to go galavanting, but the produce is still coming out our ears.

You still have shoulder padded blazers, tt?  Have fun making room in the closets!  I got rid of all my clothes that don't fit this summer and am buying Fall and Winter clothes, now.

Pingo, nice you got a bonus day with DS, enjoy. 

Just made a bowl of mung bean noodles with TJ's new ginger miso broth.  Yum!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, did you see Y&R, today, Icer?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Didn't do anything on my list and instead took Gracie to the dog wash.  She smells great!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Neighbor came up.  I made blueberry scones after Y&R.  She had never had a scone before and tentatively started with half, but soon reached for the other half, and gladly took a couple home "for my husband"  lol  We played Spite and Malice, just one game was all we had time for, but she enjoyed it and caught on fast.  Brought me up the last couple of tomatoes from their garden.

Brought the baskets in at suppertime and the smell is fading.  She didn't notice any odor from the cabinet itself, so vinegar and baking soda are doing their job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh, did you see Y&R, today, Icer?  

[/QUOTE]

I did...I missed it a lot last week...I can't believe they did that!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I'm glad you had a visitor.  Hope she gets hooked on the new card game and you have lots of fun playing together this winter and cosseting Harry.  I would come over and eat blueberry scones too!

I just picked over that chicken and decided to heat it up in the gravy that I made rather than making chicken salad.  Rice, pasta or potato with it?  Can't decide.  I made applesauce too. Left the skins on and then seived it using my cake cooling rack - the only grid large enough.  Worked great - and the color is beautiful because of the redness of the skins.  I'm really feeling the fallish-ness of the day today - probably because I'm still in PJs. Heard and saw geese flying over the house earlier. A flock of starlings or grackles flew around and around the house and through the trees and the leaves were falling in drifts.  Kinda like the Hitchock movie "The Birds" for a while.

DH just called to say he will be late, so I think I will take a hot shower and put on clean PJs since dinner will not be until late. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What twists the story will take now, Icer, with Adam's baby needing a cornea transplant - - The little girl who played Delia was such a good actress, I can easily imagine her on a broadway stage.  Bigger and better things are in her future, I'm sure.  I could barely read through the tears, my recipe for the scones when Y&R ended.

Hats, you'd be welcome.  With winter coming and me hunkering down inside more, I'll be glad having a house just a few down the street to go to for cards.  My Swampscott g.f. is coming over Thursday, but she never did take to the game.  Your supper sounds good.  Rice would have been my preference, the chicken and gravy served over it.  I've always made my applesauce with the skins on and then put it through the food mill, for just the reason you stated, it gives it a beautiful pink color.  For my supper I just cooked up a  hamburger and dipped it in Thousand Island dressing, and sliced one of the tomatoes C.L. had brought.  Did end up a little later having a small bowl of Life.  My GS turned me onto that.  I have always liked the rice chex, but when he mentioned Life it was in the back of my mind when I shopped last week and I picked up a box of that instead.  Delicate and lite.

I noticed I have a red winged blackbird in the yard that seems unable to fly.  He does an awfully lot of hopping around and seems to be alone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Never had scones?!  'Course, now she's spoiled and she'll just have to keep coming back for yours. :)

had the last of the turnip alfredo on the last of the roasted dark chicken and a Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer for dinner.  Oh, and a random craving was satisfied for, you'll never guess, smoked oysters from TJ's.  Ate the whole can minus the two I gave Gracie.  She loves seafood of all kinds.

hats, what do you put in your applesauce?  Did you can any?  I've labeled mine by lot number; each batch is different.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, when I make applesauce, I peel the apples and simmer the skins and make apple jelly.  Real good on English muffins.  I hate shoulder pads....I always remove them, use them as dusters and then chuck em....had to throw away three cans of soup.....way out dated, everything else was ok....so ashamed of myself, if I had saved anything on them with coupons I just threw my profit away!! Take care all, ss  Oh, by the way, Winter I made a loaf of your banana bread, came out so good!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I make applesauce in the microwave.  Cut up the apples, put in a little h20, micro a little, mush, put in some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice mix or apple pie or what have you and some sugar (today I used light brown) micro it more, stir it, and today I strained it to get the large skins out.  It was delish...DH is home and the chicken is heating....will let you know later if he liked the apple sauce.  He may find it too spicy - has ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves as well as cinnamon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Darn, I posted a cute one of Gracie curled up in front of the fire, and now all that shows is the soup and applesauce.  I wish bdc would get its act together.

Interesting applesauce stories.  SS, I've thought about saving the mountains of peels for jelly but wondered if you needed the pulp, too - you make the jelly from just the skins?  I haven't tried canning jelly yet.  Hats, I use pumpkin pie spice, too.  My mother despises nutmeg, though, so I'll need to do a batch with just cinnamon for when we go to PA for Thanksgiving this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The only thing I've ever canned is jam!  In fact, back in graduate school I was making plum jam when a foreign student came to interview to take one of the empty rooms in our house and apparently he fell instantly in love because he didn't think any American women could make jam.  (I didn't know about this until long afterward.  Never dated him - he did try but not my type.) 

I am thinking about the quick pickle thing in the future.  Can't be bothered with sterilizing etc.  Love freezer jam.

DH said the applesauce was awesome, he had seconds of the whole meal.

Sections
Shortcuts