October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: October 2013

tt, I was thinking the same thing! I'll keep an ear out for someone talking about thier nana making whoppie pies and scones. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I respectfully disagree with your opinions regarding msg and rotisserie chicken.   http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm    http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Here'sHowTheyHideMSG.html

Carrageenan, just one of the ingredients listed on the Costco rotisserie chicken label.  http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/carrageenan-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet

ETA: I can't ignore statements that are false (if I happen to see them), I have to speak up and share what I know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Monday everyone!  

Pingo, good pick going with Spinelli's.  They do such a nice shower, and the food has always been good there.  

TT- glad your island is a keeper.  Eggplant parm sounds so good.  Having settled into my chicken marsala recipe, its now top of my list of things to learn how to make.  I should stop saying I am going to ask DH's aunt to show me how to make it, and actually ask her.  That wouldn't be offensive, right?

We had a busy weekend with a friend's wedding Saturday night, and - you guessed it- househunting yesterday.  DD enjoys yelling at the top of her lungs to hear her echo in all the vacant ones.  It gets a few smiles, and a few dirty looks, but hey, its going to be her house too and she can have her say.  LOL.

Happy school hunting Winter.  So hard to believe they are in hgih school, isn't it?  Not little boys anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I know Novem. I still have another year, but he and I both like looking and touring them this year and focusing on the test, etc. next year. Any luck with yesterday's houses? I think your DD has the right idea, I want to yell in a couple of them when we were touring but just really because they were overpriced, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Offensive?  Your husband's aunt would be flattered to have you ask her how to make one of her recipes, Novem.  I speak from experience.   Pumpkin's mom has most of my recipes now and in fact yesterday emailed about my teaching her to knit.  She knows I'm not a fancy stitcher, just the plain knit and purl with a few "yarn overs" thrown in, but she said there's noone else she would even consider teaching her.  She won't get to make my favorites tho, the little hats done in a myriad of pastel colors, with the pompoms on top that I used to knit for her.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good!!!

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree with your opinions regarding msg and rotisserie chicken.   http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

Carrageenan, just one of the ingredients listed on the Costco rotisserie chicken label.  http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/carrageenan-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, I'm going to try your chicken legs tonight.  Will let you know if they come out as well for me.  Serving with baked spuds too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have no idea what dinner is, I didn't take anything this morning, hopefully DH doscovered this and takes something out. tt, I would love to know how to knit, can I come too?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, you can come too, Winter.  I'll even share my eggplant parm with you for supper tonight.  Just cut 2 squares out and have in a covered skillet, heating.  Have been dying for it all day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yummy dinner, Hats. And so easy.

I didn't take anything out for tonight's dinner either, Winter. I was in rush to pick up my niece. So I might just stop by S&S, get some chicken legs and copy Hats dinner. Maybe add a salad to that.

I can't have eggplant, but DH would love to join you and Winter tonight, tt. But I guess not. He doesn't knit.

Have a good evening everyone. Time to go hoime.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, Nov, good to see your noms.  Apologies, I'm truly out straight and have just a second before everything is ready for dinner.  Promise to catch up in good shape in the am.  Also, to take a rest tomorrow.  Yes, Pingo, the arm/standing thing is most likely a culprit, a confirmation of my need to have purchased the Wellness Mat.  No mat at trips' house...hard wood floors.  Thank goodness for my chiropractor.

Just wanted you to know you're close in heart even if I'm not reading and posting as much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The chicken was great, but one of the potatoes objected to the high heat and exploded - and I had pricked them with a knife as usual.  I had never had a potato explode before; I was very surprised.  So the cleaning cycle is on now - that should heat the house up.

I ate what was left of the potato and it tasted great with the sauce from the chicken.  I did deviate from your procedure, Pingo, in sprinkling the chicken with some Good Seasons salad dressing mix as well as the salt, pepper and flour.  Tomorrow I will add some more chicken broth to the leftover sauce (there was lots!) and use it to spice up some rice to go with the other two pieces of chicken.  The chicken bones were very clean when they went into the bin.

Novem, I hope your house hunting goes well and would be interested to hear which communities you are looking at.  I want to move but DH does not; our house needs so much work to make it a place to age gracefully that I think we need to move.  So I'll start looking soon.  He will be resistant to the end although he admits that the house is not the place we need for the rest of our lives. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I feel terrible today and I had to go into work as we have a big function tomororw and need to get everything finalized. Woke up several times during the night with a stomach ache....wanting something, anything to happen but nothing did. I'm so tired.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

That is the worst feeling Winter!  Hope you feel better as the day goes on.  Woke up with a headache/not quite right stomach myself.  Hoping a cup of tea will settel things down a bit.

Hats, you'd probably have no trouble selling now, but the finding somewhere else is another story.  Are thinking of another house, or do you want a condo/ apartment?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Another house, I think.  Luckily we live in a 'hot' community so we should be able to find another house in a less popular place farther from the city at less than we sell this one for (it's paid for so we won't have mortgage problems). 

However, we should strike while the market is hot and I'm having trouble persuading DH.  I would not mind a Condo but most I have seen have been townhouses and that's not what I am looking for - ease of access is key.  Someone suggested Lowell and I will look into that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, I have heard of flus etc going around so be careful; I hope after the event tomorrow you can rest up and get rid of your bug.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Winter, sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  I well remember the worst part was having to drag myself into work, feeling as tho I were going to be sick at any time.  So many benefits to being retired and able to call your own shots.  I shouldn't mention then, that I just took scones out of the oven and am waiting for them to cool enough to have one before I go out.

Hats, I've lived in only 2 houses all my life, the one I grew up in, and then this one we bought.  Except of course, for 6 months my husband was in the army stationed in El Paso.  That couldn't really be counted as "living" tho, he was a PFC and we were living in a bug free place that was way above our means.  That's when I would save the potato peels from potatoes cooked one night, for the next night's meal of fried peelings with ketchup.  Seemed like an adventure to me then - not sure I'd feel that way now.

Good show on Channel 4 this morning, including the Dalai Lama and John Grisham who was pushing his new book that comes out today, a sequel to his first which many people felt was his best.

OK, scones, here I come with a big cup of coffee, ready or not.  Hope you feel better as the day goes on, Winter, and that you can leave early to get better before tomorrow's activities.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Nice addition to the chicken legs, Hats. Will try that some night. I had a potato explode once too. What a mess. Hope your oven is self cleaning. Mine wasn't. It happened in my micro/convection oven, which is continuously cleaning - meaning it is supposed to clean as it bakes, but the potato was too much for it to handle.
    We were looking into downsizing a couple of years ago. Looked a various condos and town houses. But they all had stairs, some 3 floors. Who would want stairs, when one gets older? So we gave it up. Hope you have good luck with yours. There are many very nice places in Lowell. We have a friend living in a beautiful condo at the outskirt of the town - near Chelmsford. Only problem they have, there are hardly any parking spaces for visitors. So when we visit them, we park in a shopping center near by, and they come and pick us up.
    Sorry to hear you a not well, Winter. hope you will feel better as the day goes by, and you will be all well for the function tmw. Did you have a chance to turn in the poster?
    Good luck to you too, November, finding a house. It is tough looking at homes with little ones in tow. But it is even worse trying to sell, and have a house picked up for showing any time day or night. Wishing you the best.
    Hope Kargiver is feeling better today. We haven't heard from her yet, and that is unusual.
    The sun is out, looks like a lovely day. Cool but lovely. Enjoy it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Wish I could have scone tt. Luckily I don't have to go to the evemt, but I have to print a bunch of stuff for it, wish they would give that to me know, so I could take it home and do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm OK, but totally wiped out.

Winter, hope you feel better soon with maybe a 24 hr thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Maybe I should buy your house, hats.  Part of the problem is that we are looking in hot communities.  Want to stick nearby to both jobs, and our families, plus now there are schools to keep in mind, too.  

Want to share a recipe with you - its in my crock pot for the second time in two weeks as we speak.  Super easy, and yummy:  Toss in 4 Centercut pork chops, 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed, 6 apples peeled and cubed, and 2 boxes of raisins.  Cover with this mixture: combined 6 Tbls brown sugar, 3 Tbls cider vinegar, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.  Add water to just below covering the whole thing.  6-8 hrs on slow (depending on if you want the chops in tact or shredding apart) and Voila! Its so yummy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Novem also you could add an onion or two cut in 8ths if you want a bit more of a savory taste to your pork dish,,,and a tsp of mustard would work instead of/in addition to the cider vinegar.

We anticipate that our house will end up being torn down because it's a small house on a big lot...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That sounds really yummy, November. You could use country style ribs for that too. I would add Hats' onion as well. The raisins, I believe, are snack size boxes.

No wonder your DH doesn't want to move, if you anticipate your home torn down. That is sad. It happens a lot in our town. Especially in our old neighborhood. Old homes torn down to be replaced with several homes, if the lot is large enough or one huge "castle", that seems to be completely out of place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Our house is not nice enough or distinctive enough to regret its passing, believe me, Pingo.  It is on a lot that was subdivided from the farm house next door and is totally disposable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

If anyone on the North Shore is reading this right now, do youself a favor and go outside and look up the sky. There is the most beautiful, huge and complete rainbow. Never seen anything like it.
    I hope some of you saw it on your way home from work.

Sections
Shortcuts