October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: October 2013

My post meant to say 22 kids with 11 each on each team. I can't edit the post...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes it was me about the Medera Chicken. All that extra work I was doing at work last week paid off. They gave me a very nice Gift card to the Capital Grille, so DH and I will be going there in the sometime in the future. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks for all your good thoughts.  DD had a much better night's sleep last night and seems to be more herself today.  Hats, I can't imagine how awful it must have been for parents way back when.  Hopefully she continues to mend.  We are planning to take her trick or treating to just the immediate neighbors tomorrow, only about 4 or 5 houses, then we'll give out candy for the rest of the night.  Like Rama's little one, DD has the most fun filling and emptying and refilling her bucket.  We do allow her to eat a few M&M's as a treat.  The goldfish are a great idea, Pingo.

Happy cookie baking TT.

Too bad for DS, Winter.  Our DS will be here there weekend and now I'm concerned that we haven't heard anything about Bball tryouts.  We were really hoping he would join a sport - even the freshman team, but he seems very hesitant to try anything in the high school.  DH and I both feel it is important that he do something - a sport, club, etc - to stay out of trouble and socialize.  Looks like a heart to heart is in our future...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I just got an email to tell me that there's a new Fannie Flagg book coming out in November - it's called "The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion!"  And book 40 of the Terry Pratchett Discworld series, too...I can now put my name on the list for books via the internet so I'll go over and see if they are in the database yet....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novem, it's so hard to know what to push for and what not, with kids.  I had 4 boys, and only 2 of them, the 2nd and the 4th enjoyed sports.  The older boy did earn a blackbelt in karate, and G.T.'s interests lay in art and music.  He started in high school winning art awards.  I could fully sympathize with the two who didn't want to play sports - I was always the last chosen for any team, even in gym!  Never was good at it, and hated it.

Is this your DS's first year in high school, just started this September?  He hasn't really had time yet to check out what clubs are offered there, and what might interest him.  He'll find his nitch.

Hats, I'm waiting for Growing up Gronks to go into paperback so I can pick it up for one of my son's.  He only reads at lunch and break in work, so the hard cover would not make it into work.  Thinking of ordering John Grisham's latest for myself, but may see how long the wait list is at the library.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got card in the mail for the Christmas Festival at the Seaport World Trade Center.  Look forward to that every year, hope we are planning on going.  May not buy anything but the gingerbread men/girl, but still enjoy going and then going to Maggiano's for lunch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

is that cheerio in the pic or a replica?  Anyhow, you look to be fully ready!

I am baking today for my weekend company - trying out a new recipe but of course I had to change it up...we'll see how it comes out.  I hope your cookie baking is successful...maybe you could show us some of Lily's work as an avatar!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Yes it was me about the Medera Chicken. All that extra work I was doing at work last week paid off. They gave me a very nice Gift card to the Capital Grille, so DH and I will be going there in the sometime in the future. 

Madeira chicken

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi,  reindeergirl,

It's nice to see you around :)

I don't eat chicken (poultry) anymore, otherwise I would try it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, it still early for some clubs and I suspect basketball starts in late November/early December. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My roller, sprinkler, baker, taster just left with a plateful of cookies.  She's just like her father was as a kid, sneaking the rolled out dough before it's baked!  Remind you of anyone, Kargiver?

The avatar is a pic G.T. took of one of his cats when he first got them.  I don't think he meant for it to come out that way, but I figured it was a good Halloween pic.  He probably couldn't do that again if he tried!

Just got an email from him that Yes, we will be going to the Christmas Festival - YAH!

It wasn't Lilly that was my helper, but my OLA GD.  She's growing right up, don't know how many more years she's going to want to do this.  Told her for Thanksgiving we would make some pilgrim hat cookies.  Wish I had thought of it for Halloween, kisses on choc wafer with a little colored embellishment would have been cute witch hats.  Her mother has also tried without success to teach her to knit, but she and I will give it a try one of these times after the baking, instead of our usual games of WAR.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning ladies, Happy Halloween!  Kar, you pickled tomates look wonderful - I love those.  I used to be able to get them at S&S, but they have stopped carrying them Cry

Glad you had a nice day backing yesterday TT.  Of course you are ready for Halloween.  We don't get many TOTers, as most of the kids in my neighborhood have grown up.

Boston is smiling today with the Sox win last night.  I admit that I fell asleep before the end of the game though.

Feeling a bit better these days (don't want to jinx myself).  Believe it or not, I think one of the things that is really helping me is to have soup for breakfast!  It sounds crazy, but my body just cannot retain sodium and there is a lot of sodium in the soup so it really helps.  They gave me sodium pills to take, but (honestly) I threw them away, lol.  I just don't want to take another pill.

DH is getting along a bit better.  Still no use of his hand yet, but we don't expect it to begin to get movement for at least a few months.  Needless to say, he is very frustrated about it.

Have a great day everyone!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So happy to be a Boston Red Sox fan today. Happy Halloween as well. I watched hte game and the two trophy ceremonies. Big Papi certaintly brought this team to life this year. PC, glad you are feeling better and if soup works for you in the morning, keep having it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Princess, I have two siblings who eat savory food for breakfast - one eats soup and has for 40 years...even though his lifestyle is one of the unhealthiest ever he is hanging in there and I'll bet the soup has something to do with it!  So do what works for you - the whole 'breakfast food' idea is a relatively recent invention - remember that New England was built by people eating pie with cheese  or cold pottage (soup) for breakfast - that is, a leftover that could be served without heating! 

Thanks SOX!  3 times in 10 years - who'd a thunk it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm blushing, tt - yep, I'm pretty sure I've eaten more raw than baked cookies.  When I bought a stand mixer the first thing I made in it was a batch of toll house cookies and NOT ONE got baked.  So glad you had such a great day!!  My niece is in her 20s and she came over to learn to make my great-grandmothers molasses cookies - you might be surprised at how many more years this tradtion will carry on.  I hope she wants to learn to knit...I know she's old enough, both my nephew and I learned when we were 4, and he actually stuck with it.  I switched to crochet, but I remember making a scarf.  Kids often don't understand how special it will be for them to carry on such skills and traditions.

How did your island handle the cookie rolling task?

Rama, your post-walk stew idea resonated with me - I think I'll make two, actually, an easy butternut chicken and a day-before coq au vin.  Then, we'll have a choice and a lot of leftovers.  DH can't get enough soup/stew.

haven't caught totally up so apologies for missing anything important I didn't comment on.  today I'll get all the ingredients for both stews and start prepping what I can this early.  Friend is diabetic so need to make a low sugar dessert...thinking apples will be a good main ingredient.

ETA:  I eat savory food for breakfast all the time, usually leftover dinner.  In fact, this morning I had half a leftover filet mignon with green tomato relish I made from some of the pickles by adding jalapeños and onions and cooking/mashing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The moon that hangs high in the sky

casts an eerie light,

on scurrying shapes, all sizes and forms

that  hurry through the night.

Rustling leaves kicked off the stairs -

there's someone lurking there.

Behind a curtain peeks a face

"Come up here, - if you dare!

I've candy, gum and pretzels

for good little boys and girlies,

but first you must get past my door

of sounds that are blood curling!"

First one, then two and then a third

climb the rickety stairs,

and fumble for the doorbell, where -

a spider suddenly appears.

A hideous laughter rings out clear

then a bony hand extends -

that holds a caldron full of bags -

the prizes that it tends.

"Trick or treat", the brave ones call -

"Trick or treat", as the door opens wide -

and then, they see, it's not a witch

but a costumed Mom inside.

Happy Halloween 2010 - 2013 from toytrumpet

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what a great poem, thanks for sharing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love it, tt, thanks for posting!!  (The first stanza is how I feel every night taking Gracie out to do her before bed routine in the back yard, lol.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Hi,  reindeergirl,

Hi Robin!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Nice to have the old tt back :) Love the poem. Thanks! But I think you forgot, your stairs are not rickety any longer - LOL.

Congrats to the Red Sox fans on these pages. Didn't watch the game, but found out this morning, they got the pennant.

Good to hear from you, princess. Glad you may have found something to keep up your sodium intake. And soup is good in the winter time too. Keeps colds away. Especially if you do chicken soups. I can just imagine your DH's frustration. For a construction guy not to be able to feel and use his right hand, must be devastating. Best wishes.

I finally got to see your tomatoes, Kar. Looks good. I am so envious. Do you cut them? I pickle mine whole. Just pr*k them well all over w/ a fork. Love your pickled tomato salsa. Will have to keep that in mind.

Shower plans are coming along. Got the favors yesterday. It is small baby bottles with pink ribbons. Now I have to fill them w/ Jordan's almonds. I bought 25 lbs., but I doubt it is enough. Good project to do tonight, while waiting for the trick'r treaters. The RSVPs are just dripping in. Isn't that always the case. Would like to have a good number by Saturday, or I will have to call everyone. Signed the contract with the pianist. Got news yesterday, that DS very best friend ever, who now lives in CA, just happens to be in Boston with her husband and baby that weekend. What a coincidence. Looking forward to see her baby too. 

This morning we watched a red tailed hawk sitting on the fence for our tennis court for about 10 minutes. Just 30 feet away from us. All the little birds disappeared quickly. What a gorgeous bird. DH took several pictures w/ his camera. Will try to see, if I am able to post it. How is your sick little bird doing, tt?

Have several errands to do today. One of them is to go to Kanes to look for pink plants for the shower. Have a good day everyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Well, I guess it wasn't you I saw in S&S, Pingo.  The lady was earnestly looking at me as tho she wanted to speak.  I gave her a smile, but then we passed each other.

The poem was written for here in 2010 and posted then, and I use the same one each year for family and friends.  Have a cute one from G.T. about why he's called "Green Thumbs", I have posted here before, but in the interest of Halloween, may post it again later today.

Ran up to Costco, a quick stop in Target for something for the baby for tonight, and the went to S&S.  Only had 10 things on my list, but figured since I had those 5 $1 off coupons for various categories, might as well do a weekly shopping and use them.  Picked up some more of the Boar's Head low sodium ham this week, love that with a piece of their cheese, as a roll up.

Shower plans are sounding good, Pingo.  Love baby showers, they're such a happy time.

Princess, so sorry to hear  how slowly your husband's hand is healing.  It must be so frustrating to him.  When I had an IV for sodium loss, the ER dr. told me to eat a lot of canned soup for the next few days to keep the supply up - so you're doing the right thing.

I stayed up til 11:00 watching the game (unheard of for me!), but have no idea how much longer it went.  Think it was the 6th inning at that point.  What a wonderful victory for the city of Boston, this year particularly.  God bless us.

Gotta grab my "roll ups" and maybe a dish of cottage cheese and head for the l.r. and the Y&R.  Just a note on that - Icer, don't you think Adam is going to see Delia every time he looks at his baby?  I'll bet he starts rejecting him and Chloe will wonder why.

Oh gawd, Cheerio's in here throwing up - guess that lunch of mine will be put off a while!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, the last strikeout was at 11:13, but I stayed up until 12:45 watching both trophies presented.
    Pingo, when is the shower, plans seem to be going right along. How nice that a friend from CA will be here for the shower.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

oh no poor Cheerio.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, that's frustrating for poor DH, but at least he's not behind in healing and he isn't actually expecting to have movement yet.  Hoping it all works as the docs expect.  Definitely, soup can be very salty - enjoy!  So are pickles...maybe you'd like to learn to make your own - very easy canning.

Pingo, I cut mine because they were too big to pickle whole.  I think it would be better to use small whole ones because these overcooked.  They taste really good but are essentially stewed.  The shower plans sound like so much fun.  I love showers.  Wondering when I might get to go to another one now that most of my friends are in their 40s and 50s.  Grandkids of those friends will be next, I guess!  A number of them are in their teens...another 10 years and I'll be making the shower circuit, wedding then baby. :)

indeed, poor cheerio - does she throw up often?  Gracie threw up a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason and was totally fine before and after.  Weird.

I haven't been out, but I do have tomato sauce simmering away, boiling down by half.  Not sure if I'll can it or won't have enough to bother.  In that case will just refrigerate and eat.  What a sad tomato year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Hi,  reindeergirl,

But I'm sure you know how to spell Madeira. Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts