October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

I've canned about everything but jelly.  Jam is fewer steps so I started with that.  Where was he from that he thought American women were too inept to stir fruit on the stove?!

that's great DH loved the applesauce, hats - it sounds delish!  I love ginger and apples together.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Making coffee and kicking it into high gear after slacking with Gracie yesterday.  It was worth it - she looks and smells great, and I got so much fur brushed out before (Furminator), during, and after her bath with the mitt I use to apply the natural anti-flea conditioner.  She smells like cloves. :)

But, now I've got everything to do, AND I have a hair appt in Worcester at 10.

sorry, my canning friend just called about our workshop next Sunday - so exciting!  So, if I missed anything posted in the last 20 minutes, that's why. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good  morning. Sorry I wasn't on yesterday I got so busy at home time just got away from me. Seems like everyone had a nice weekend. My DS got a head goal on Saturday. Couldn't believe it, in the car ont he way to Chelmsford for the game I said well you've gotten a right foot and a left foot goal, get a header. Didn't think it was possible, since they are hard to get. Well an opportunity presented itself and he did it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I never understood how or why they did those head goals, Winter.  Would think it would snap and hurt their neck?  Sounds as tho he's  having a wonderful season.  I'm putting in a call this afternoon to see how my GS is doing with the braces (last fri they were put on).

Getting out by 10:00 this morning and that's some feat since i didn't get up until 8:00.  Wolfing down a cup of coffee as we speak, with a scone.  See the forecast for Thursday is showers.  Don't know if my Swampscott friend will want to come over.  She can't do too much walking any more, so we usually just do lunch somewhere.  She's allergic to cats, and so any time she walks in the door Cheerio runs right over, rubbing against her legs and wanting to be petted!  We don't spend a whole lot of time in the house here.  I'll wait until Thursday morning, give her a call, and leave it up to her.

But now, I have to get around.  Want to be back in time for Y&R, I'm sure today's episode will be a heart breaker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Kar, I just put skins (with little pulp) cores and all in pan, cover with water, boil down, cool, taste, add sugar (?) and there you are......there is enuf pectin on the skins to thicken jelly.  I only make one/two jars at a time, doesn't last long around here. ss

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Not sure why they do it either, but it was either use his head or he probably would have hand balled it and that would have been bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    So DS finally took off. Missing him. We had great three days together. We took a small ride around town yesterday. We have a couple of streets, that always has a lovely foliage every fall. Were surpriser to see so much new construction - some very large homes too. When you think there is no more buildable land, they still find a lot or two. Two of the homes in our old neighborhood had been torn down, to be replaced one ugly, humongous house. It has a round tower, and made me think of Rapunzel.
    My home country is a soccer nation. And due to all the head injuries, there has been a lot of talk about soccer players wearing helmets. I am sure we will see it someday. Did you manage to finish your brochure, Winter?
    I feel bad about all the apple peels, I have thrown away in the past. Never thought of making jelly. How much does one have to cook it down?
    Now back to the old grind. Haven't been at the office since Thursday. I am sure my desk is full.
    Have a good day everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad your DS was able to make his conference. I'm sure he enjoyed his weekend with you as well.

The brochure was finished last week, Saturday the poster was due. Professor had given us all the information. We had to decided the hierarchy and what we thought should be focused on. I completed the first draft but already know of a couple of things that I'd like to change.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry, Winter. Of course, I meant the poster. I know, you had already turned in the brochure. It sounds like you are getting more and more into it. Great!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, SS.  I'll save the pile of peels and cores next time...today or tomorrow.  Looking forward to having apple jelly along with the sauce!

Can't do justice to everyone's goings on right now...so stressed about getting everything done that I didn't do yesterday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Come on, Kar. You are too hard on yourself. With all the canning and soup making, some other things must be let go. Don't forget, you are just one person. If I was doing, what you are doing with all your produce, and my DH would complaining about a few dust balls, I would ask him to stir the soup, while I vac. You DH should not expect shiny floors and apple sauce, jelly and soup all at the same time.
    Take a break, have a nice beer, relax and enjoy and be proud of whet you are doing. It is not like you are sitting in front of the TV all day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't think it is Kargiver's DH who puts the pressure on her to get everything done, Pingo, I think Kargiver herself does that.  I think she's a perfectionist and enjoys keeping a sparkling house along with whatever food preparation activities she's into too.  Me, on the other hand, am a lazy slug today.  Did get out this morning and get a few things done, but since I got home, other than sit in front of the TV for Y&R, have just wandered around, room to room. Worried about that little red winged blackbird out there.  He must have a broken wing, I took a saucer of water to put on ground level for him to get a drink, and he chirped and hopped as far as he could up into the leaves.  Just a matter of time before something gets him, but my nursing birds back to health ended once the boys stopped bringing them home.

Maybe I'll wash the kitchen cabinets down with Murphy's Oil Soap.  Not many of them anyway, and I would have at least accomplished something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo.  Yes, but he does appreciate it and works hard himself even missing out on Sunday altogether for work travel and is constantly losing vacation to the company for not using it in time.  And, when he is home, he's working on the things I can't do, the gutters, exterior paint, driveway, plowing...it never ends for him, either.  Now, to take the garbage out to the compost - it's been piling up on the back steps for 3 days!  (No meat so no animals)  There is a cold beer in my near future, don't worry. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yep, tt is right, it's mostly me.  I like to have the house drop in ready, and he really does appreciate having it looking nice and tidy when he gets home - it calms him after his chaotic days.

Poor blackbird...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, you've been doing some serious cleaning day after day - you need a rest, too!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just have to keep moving.  Looking for small jobs to do.  The china closet hasn't gotten done yet and that was on the list for this past week-end.  All I need is a really rainy day and I can throw myself into that chore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Looking for jobs to do?  How tow about dusting our woodwork?  ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Didn't get to the applesauce but happy with everything else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Going East today then coming home to the mountain of passé apples.  Have a great day, everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Have a good trip, Kar.  I have nothing scheduled today.  Nothing but a trip to the library to pick up a manual for a computer program I need to learn...wonder what mischief I can get up to?  Usually having nothing scheduled means my email will bring me a crisis! Maybe I'll start cleaning up the house!

Apple jelly is DH's favorite, but since he only eats it a few times a year I don't think the work would be worth it for us.  But I surely will be interested to hear how it comes out.  I generally give the cores to the 'woodland animals.'  I've done that less this year because I don't want to attract bears, but I did throw out this last batch.  The applesauce was so good that I am contemplating making more next week.

Winter, we'll be interested to hear about how your professor felt about your poster.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Just got up, a restless night with hips.  Rain predicted for tonight so I suspect that change in the barometer had something to do with it.

C.L. had a trip into Boston first thing this morning, so Harry paid me a visit.  Hadn't seen him for a few days.  Glad the blackbird wasn't hopping around in the middle of the yard.

Nothing on the calendar for me today either, so may just do one of my days of poking here and there.  Glad the birthdays are over for another 2 months.  Gives me a breather in my pocketbook, able to concentrate once again on Christmas shopping.

Winter, I checked with my son about the braces GS is wearing, and other than the first couple of days he's comfortable with them.  When I got his father on the phone they were at a game - soccor, basketball, or flag football - not sure which.  His cell phone is terrible.

Getting a message that automatic tune up will begin n 10 minutes, so I'll get off now and check in later.  Is your trip East to visit the trips, Kar?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Hats, which program are you using. I'm deathly afraid of Illustrator, but I think we get into that in one of my upcoming classes. tt, glad DS is doing ok with the braces, it does only hurt that first few days. It also hurts for a little when they tighten them, about every 6 weeks or so. We are waiting for a 12-year old molar to fully pop up and then he'll get his bottom set. Hope you enjoy your morning of poking. Kar, have a fun time out East.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, I'll give you a "worth the trouble" rating after I make the jelly.  You said you do waterbath canning, right?  I think you just boil it down and strain the pectin laden juice a couple of hours through a jelly bag, then fill the jars and process probably after reheating the strained liquid to a boil.  I dump the refuse on the compost pile, and what it attracts is yellow jackets!  Haven't seen the local bear, thankfully.

tt, nope, the trips are north of us.  East to lunch with an old friend.  I think I'll be going North this Friday.  I hope the blackbird recovers before becoming an easy lunch.

Winter, I love hearing about your class; if I had a do over I'd have gotten a degree in marketing.

Funny story on kargiver...  I was scooping out baba ganoush (eggplant spread) for DH's lunch this morning and saw little white WORMS sticking out of it!  YUCK, I thought, until upon further inspection, I realized the "worms" were actually sprouted eggplant seeds, no question.  Weird that they could grow after being roasted, isn't it?

ok, gotta hurry, now since I want to walk Gracie before I head out.  Have a great day, everyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

good morning, is anyone else experiencing a bug with the forums where the "latest post" on the front page isn't updating? Mine says that the last entry was 5 days ago by Kargiver, clearly not true.  Weird!

Things are good in the Rama household.  I got my DD1 a new pair of sneakers yesterday. She was so excited to wear them to preschool today but then she had trouble putting them on herself, got frustrated and threw a tantrum, so that made for a chaotic morning.  She can put all of her shoes on herself and is very proud of herself for being so independent, and I think she was upset and embarrassed that she couldn't figure out how to put on the new pair. Hopefully she will figure it out soon! DD2, on the other hand, is obsessed with taking her shoes off! (She can do that herself too).  it's hard getting out of the house in the morning.

At work now.  So much to do but I think I will go in search of coffee first.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Rama I see the same last post as you so I keep going into the post to see who is here, annoying that we have to do that. Sorry your Little one got frustrated about her shoes, she seems pretty independent.