October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: October 2013

I'm interested!  Home decor is always interesting...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're kind.  The back and forth - "will she keep it or won't she?" is getting boring, even to me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh no, tt. Not boring at all. We are all in this together.

It looks like my previous post disappeared ??? There I suggested to crumble up old newspapers and stuff the basket with that. That is what I use, when we come back from 3rd world countries, and the suit cases stink.
    If you like the smell of oranges, you can also wash them in orange oil. That should cover the odor. It is a strong orange smell, and  DH hates it.  But it does wonders on my garbage cans and trash compactor. I also use it for my kitchen floor, when I have enough time to air it out before DH gets home.

DH already left for tennis. I think it is about time for me to go home too. Have a good evening everyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

TT I wonder if you could find a bin made of canvas at a place like Target or even CTS that had roughly the same dimensions as the smelly baskets. just a thought! I love home decor too and since my DH would kill me if I made another change to our house so soon I have to live through all of you!! (Kidding obviously). 

It was so nice out today. The kids were playing in short sleeves. Loving this weather. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Canvas bins are a good idea.  Hadn't thought of those.  Did see some wicker baskets in CTS today but when I sniffed, strong smell of potpourri - wonder if sprayed.  Have seen them in Marshall's too, but those bins have more of a musty smell, not this strong chemical smell.  I'll see what the week-end brings by keeping them in a separate room and sniffing away daily at the cabinet itself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tt,  I'm glad you liked Red's. I've had the meatloaf and had it for lunch the next day. I've always wanted to get dessert there but the portions are too big. Pingo this bracelet ceremony sounds very  interesting. 80 is a good number had that many at our wedding. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, boring?  Not to me, either.  I have canvas bins on a baker's rack upstairs in the loft room (typical cape) as a pantry, and I love them.  Of course, they just sit there, I don't slide them around or pick them up, but they seem pretty sturdy.  Could you put the baskets in the attic or garage until they air out?  I can't imagine they'd stink forever...

Pingo, we are orange oil lovers here in the kargiver home.  So much nicer in our opinion than the chemicals.

Rama, I owe you for your Barmakian advice big time.  Love, love, love their work.

indeed, so warm and lovely today!  I walked Gracie and was nice and comfy.

Made a gigantic batch of applesauce - 3 quarts and 4 pints.  DH said it's his favorite batch yet (Lot F).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just a quick checkin before heading to the trips' for the entire day, through dinner prep.  DH is home so no worries about our girl.

Happy Friday, everyone!  Chat tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Heard the leaves hitting against the screen all night and got up this morning to a yellow coat on the front lawn.  Wouldn't have believed there were that many leaves on that one tree.  Beautiful to look at - not to much fun to clear, especially since G.T. and partner have come and gone for a few weeks.

After the big lunch yesterday, only had a salad for supper, so really hungry this morning.  Seems like a good one for French toast - have taken some fresh frozen strawberries out to thaw too, to include on top.

My cupboard/refrigerator is getting low, so had better sit down and do a shopping list.  SS had sent me an envelope full of coupons, and I'll see what ones I can use this week with S&S sales.

Enjoy your day with the trips, Kargiver.  I got to see the little one next door yesterday, after a few days of not connecting.  She is such a cutie.  Took her grandpa on a merry chase yesterday, kept going over to the scarecrow flag I have, saying, "baby, baby".

Last night I think the wagon pulling family got caught with nightfall, not expecting the curtain to fall that early.  I could hear the wagon coming down the street, and straining my eyes then saw the mother and father pulling the little boy in the wagon, past my house.  Dangerous, and I'm sure they will start out earlier tonight, or at the  very least put reflectors on the back, front, and sides of the little guy's wagon.

Off to the stove, for some nice hot French toast and my soup cup full of hot coffee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Kar, have a great day with the trips. tt, I enjoy hearing about your day and adventures. Hope the baskets either air out or you find something that will fit in the cubbies. I saw the island in person and it's very attractive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    You must already have left for the trip's trip, Kar. Hope you will have a fun day. Let's get a report, of what you did, when you get home. Lot F? You must have more apple sauce stored, that is on the shelves at S&S.

tt, re the basket. Do you really need them? Can't you just use the shelves and stack the books that way? If there is no shelving, there must at least be a frame to hold the baskets. You can then measure the size of shelf you need and go to HD. They will cut for you a couple of pieces of thin plywood the exact size you need to stick in the holes. Voila! No more stinking bins.
    I am glad to hear you liked Red's. We will have to try it again. DH had a large lunch w/ a client yesterday, and told me he didn't need dinner. He comes home late after his tennis game. So I had left over of the "fried" chicken legs, I made the day before. I just heated them up in my toaster oven. Oh boy, were they good.

Have to run to Costco today, to pick up meds. Then on to TJ's. I need to stock up too. Took the last lbs. of coffee out of the refrigerator, while DS was here. Tmw. we have two appointments to look for venues. Spinelli's and Cafe Escadrille in Burlington. DH had lunch there yesterday, took a look at their function rooms and liked, what he saw. We have company coming tmw. evening for a simple dinner and a game of cards. Sunday we will go to RI, to see our friend, who had the other knee replaced.  What is everyone else doing this weekend?

Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Big doings at S&S.  Woman tried to push 3 overflowing carts of unbagged food - filet mignon down to bags of popcorn - out of the door.  Hit employee who tried to stop her.   Luckily the police caught her.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

How strange!  Why anyone would think they could get away with three carts, get it all loaded into a car and drive away without being stopped, seen, and reported to police?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know.  I said, she certainly wasn't thinking if she was walking around the store pushing 3 carts.  How could she think noone would notice her or keep an eye on her?  BUT THEN, I had been shopping in there during that same time and never even noticed her!  I guess most of us are busy with our own doings on.  Store security is another story tho.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

One woman with three carts? I could imagine someone trying to get away with one, but three? she probably had a couple of accomplices. Good they caught her.
    There was this family years ago, father and mother and 8 or 9  children incl. teenagers. They came to the old Starmarket, where the Job Lot is now. You have probably seen them, tt. Not only would the kids stuff their pockets, but while mom and dad was at the register, some of the kids would make a racket to get everyone's attention, while a couple of them would walk out the door with a full cart of unpaid groceries. They were caught several times, but kept coming back. I saw them getting caught once, and the flower lady, whom I knew well, told me it had happened several times.
    I am sure with the self check, they now have in the stores, a lot of groceries walk out the door unpaid. I can't see how they can keep an eye on everyone checking every item. Hopefully they have some good surveillance cameras.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I've been to a function at both places. They are both nice, but I will say the food is better at Spinelli's. tt, can't believe that woman didn't think she'd get caught. I'm sure the store had her on camera the whole time. They have eyes in the sky cameras in all the supermarkets.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm heading out soon, have a good night everyone and in case I'm not have, hope everyone has a great weekend.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Afternoon mail brought a thank you from pumpkin for his birthday gifts, and a new 2 yr old pic of him.  His lip must have healed fine, because it's a beautiful picture.  He looks so grown up.  Getting together for lunch this next week with old work pals, so glad to have the pic to show them.  Now I need one of the baby.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Another beautiful bright October day!  Cold now but it will warm up!  I have coffee and two hours to my self now - and I hope you all have coffee too.  My breakfast today will be a TT one - leftover biscuits toasted with butter. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

My breakfast this morning, which I'm just finishing, was a hot bowl of oatmeal, a cup of hot coffee, and scali bread toasted.  That toasted scali bread gives biscuits a run for their money, IMO.

Had sent pumpkin's mom an email thanking her for the pic and saying, "I guess his fat lip had gone down before picture time."  This morning there was an email waiting from her, with a big LOL, it had gotten worse by 2:00, but they kind of positioned him not facing head on to the camera.  In mine, I don't notice anything wrong, but his mom said, even if it had showed, she figured that would be a picture of him as he is at 2, an active boy who gets bumps, bruises, and fat lips - "this is pumpkin at 2 !"

Want to do some baking today, but holding off a bit.  They don't expect my son's FIL to last past the week-end, and I'm thinking a double batch of some cranraisin, some blueberry scones will be in future to bake and take out there.  Talked with my DIL yesterday and she said my son is taking such good care of her, and the others, cooking big batches of meals and taking them downstairs for them.  Once things are "over", then I'll bring out a  tray of lasagna and my chicken dish to give my son a break.

Harry evidently spent the night out again, what else is new.  Came running out from under the shrub this morning, right up the door, wanting badly to come in.  Couldn't do that, but when I patted him, his fur was cold and damp.  A little later got an email from C.L. that he was up there.  He does go into her breezeway and warm up.

After 9:00 and past time that I should be showered and dressed.  Have slews of washes to do today.  I think I'm down to my last clean outfit.  Luckily it's a stay at home day, so those old comfortable stretched out blue sweats will be fine.

Kargiver, how did your visit go yesterday?  Are you in the process, even thinking, of making anything for the trips for Christmas?  Weather like this I think of pulling out my afghan squares (keep them in a cabinet right in the l.r. for easy access), and getting a couple more knitted.  May just do that this afternoon if there is something good on TV to settle back with.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    What a lovely day yesterday. We have set the thermostat at 80, and low and behold the AC went on in the afternoon. This morning is cool, but it looks like the sun is out for good - no clouds, so it will warm up.
    tt, sorry to hear about your DIL's father. Is he at home for your DIL to take care of? Your blueberry and cranraisin scones will be well received.
    Made a batch of apple/pumpkin cookies yesterday, and I spied a couple of over the hill bananas this morning, so a batch of muffins will be started as soon as I get up from here. And while they are baking, I will start on the dinner, I am bringing to RI tmw. Veggie stew and an apple/cranberry/orange pie. I like to have that done, before we go visiting function rooms.
    Got all cut up with laundry yesterday. Still have some ironing to do.
    How are the trips, Kar? It must have been an exhausting day for you, since we didn't hear from you last night. Good you have the weekend to relax. However, I am sure you will find more apples to take care of.
    Have a nice Saturday everyone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Indeed, it was a long day, but such a blessing for me to spend time with my friends and the kids who are definitely not babies anymore.  They are running around with confidence, understand a few words, and are starting to really look different to me so I can identify who is who.   The 3 yo is a doll, and I never tire of her little voice calling, "Mrs. Kargiver, come see ____!"  Baked, cooked, visited, and stayed for dinner this time so caught up with the dad, too.  Long day, but I do wish they lived closer so we could do it more often.  Great friends.

DH and Gracie made out fine.  I made sure he had all the food he'd need, and Gracie was sure to remind him when it was time for her to eat.

Cannot believe the woman trying to steal 3 carts of stuff, tt, what a hullabaloo that must have been!  Sorry to hear about son's FIL.  Sounds like a wonderful, thoughtful plan to make them scones and lasagna when no one will be feeling like cooking or have the energy.

Pingo, I get my coffee at TJ's, too.  I mix the Ethiopian with the Breakfast.  Have fun tonight with your dinner party and tomorrow in RI.

I need to get in gear and put our own kitchen together.  Not sure what else is on the docket, but DH is out with Gracie for a walk so I won't have to do that...hm.  Yes, we do have a lot of applesauce, but DH can really blast through it so it won't last as long as one might hope, lol. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Costco extends recall of chicken linked to salmonella outbreak

Another reason not to eat poultry.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/costco-plucks-more-chicken-in-extended-recall.html/3/

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-costco-recall-20131017,0,6090288.story

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you, Robin, for that information. As you must know by now, I am an avid user of their rotissery chicken. If they cook it to an internal temperature of 180 degrees (as they say they do), I don't think the salmonella will survive, but I am not going to take any chances.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

You are welcome.

The less fat and sugar I consume, the better I feel.

Of course anything loaded with fat, salt, sugar, tastes good, but some of us have to pay later, just not worth it, imo.

ETA: Most store bought rotisserie chicken has msg in the ingredients....yum!  http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg081134268272.html?3

Sections
Shortcuts