October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2013

Oh, Winter, I had no idea I was so close to the end.  I really thought runs on the other side would be scored and take it into overtime.  13 more minutes and I could have seen the jubilation!

Little one next door, that her grandmother was minding, just stopped over with her nana and mom.  So cute.  I had her little bag with Halloween cookies and candy corn all ready.  What a beauty she is, bright as a penny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@reindeergirl, 

Thanks, to tell the truth, I probably would have looked it up and checked the spelling first,  before posting.

I suppose some people are posting from work and don't have the time to do such, or don't think it's a big deal when they make spelling errors.

From a reader's perspective,  I think spelling errors can influence the overall impression one makes.

PS: I'm sure I have made my share (spelling and grammatical errors)  :)

Some people are more articulate than others, and I do envy them for their writing and communication skills.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a minute - here's G.T.'s from 2007 -

Frankenstein was planting bulbs in the cold earth of October.

A neighbor, peering through the hedge, thought, "Could that guy be sober?"

"Excuse me, sir, I see you're busy, digging all those holes.

But now it's cold and kind of late for planting all of those."

His bolted head did spin around to look upon his neighbor.

"Why, yes, I know just what I'm doing.  I know just why I labor.

Just look around, my garden path, the splendor all in row.

You see, I have a way with growing all the seeds I sow."

"I know, you're right.  I see the blooms from early Spring til Fall.

Your garden is a pure delight, a vision for us all."

How do you do it?  What is your knack for bounty by these sums?"

Frankenstein then raised his hands - You see, I have green thumbs!"

Happy Halloween 2007 - 2013 from Green Thumbs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes you were close to the end tt. Glad you were able to give the neighbor a little bag of treats. Was she dressed up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What a great poem tt. Thanks for sharing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT your poetry is terrific!  Please never stop posting it!

Anybody see this?  It's a hoot...keep watching...it gets funnier and funnier -

http://www.boston.com/news/source/2013/10/gif_jacoby_ellsbury_rundown_escape_mashed_up_with_benny_hill.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I never can click on yours and get there, and today can't even copy/paste and get to a page.

Why?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, she was, I'm just not sure what as!  She had black and white stripe tights on, an orange shirt - maybe a bumblebee?  She carried a little felt pumpkin trick or treat bag.  She's a beautiful child, of course her nana thinks she looks just like her daddy (her son), but today seeing her in her mother's arms, I think she's the spitting image of her!  I won't say that tho.  To tell her she's "beautiful" is enough - no need to say who she looks like!  We always think all of our little ones  look like our side of the family, but I do have to say this new little pumpkin we have with the black hair and eyes and cute little crooked grin, looks like my GD's husband.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I couldn't copy and paste that either hats. I think some of the last word/words is cut off. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pouring out here.  Wonder if the little kids will come tomorrow night instead -

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We don't get kids until 6:00 or so. DS still isn't sure if he's going out. He's going to put on his costume (Michael Meyers from Halloween) and see if the neighborhood boys are going out. If they are he will join them, if not he will scare the the children with DH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night, I'll be heading out soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

I couldn't copy and paste that either hats. I think some of the last word/words is cut off. 

Just go to the front page of boston.com and look for it.  It's really funny!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back from running errands. It is p-o-u-r-i-n-g out. At least where I was. Coming back on Rt. 128 was a nightmare. No visibility and of course bumper to bumper. Glad I didn't have to go far. Be careful going home everyone.

Did stop at Kanes. They don't know exactly when the Poinsettias will start coming in. Probably not until just before TG. That will be too late. But never mind, they had beautiful full pink Cyclamen. They will be perfect. I was planning to tie a ribbon around the pot, but it is not necessary. The leaves cover most of the pot. I am thinking of getting some place mats or chargers and place the plant and a small teddy bear or other small baby toy next to it on them. What do you think? Suggestions are welcome.

Unless the rain stops, I won't get many trick'r treaters. I hardly had any the last couple of years. But we have a couple of young families that moved in recently. They will probably bring their lille kids.

Enjoy the evening.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just had my first trick'r treaters. My next door neighbor with her 2 children.

Guess you will get a kick out of this. DH just called me. He is on his way back from a meeting in Boston. "You know, it is Halloween tonight? I saw little kids running all over with their pumpkin baskets." A bit too late to think about that, don't you think? - LOL

How are your giving out treats going?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

As per usual, no doorbell ringers here, altho I have 6 goodie bags ready - they will be taken somewhere else...

The cyclamen sound great.  I noticed that MB had lovely pink azaleas yesterday but they were $19.00 per plant!  I like the idea of a toy or other little thing - or would you do candles?  The dollar store has cunning candles in miniature jars for only a dollar.  (Dollar Tree - don't know if you have one nearby but it's becoming my go-to store....)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just shut off my porch light.  Had made up 20 gift bags, then threw together a few more, and ended by giving out Mr. Goodbars and Almond  Joys.  My friend down the street only had 10 kids come.  You never know.  GD did not make it over with pumpkin and his brother, said he fell asleep in the car after doing a couple of houses.  There are belated birthday presents here that young GD brought over yesterday when she came to make cookies,  so pumpkin's mom said she will stop over with the kids sometime this week-end.  Disappointed, but what are you going to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A P.S. to above post - glad I didn't follow through on my gut feeling and make a big batch of something we could all sit down and eat when they got here - like American Chop Suey or the chicken/rice dish.  Sometmes your anticipations/assumptions can get you in trouble.

Can hear teenagers running up and down the street now.  Hope all the local cats are safely inside.  Cheerio made no attempts to dart out the door this year as she has tried other Halloweens.  -  Have to go check and see what's going on - sounds as tho they've congregated right outside.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We've had about 20 kids, two with a mom in tow just left. We have the spooky house in the neighborhood so I think people are coming to see, complete with a large jumping spider. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's great that your husband decorates the property.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Warm when I opened the door this morning.  Harry was out there, crying and would have come right in if I had let him.  Guess he's missed me, haven't seen him in a week or so.  His fur was dry, so hopefully he spent the night inside.

Email from GD who is taking the boys to a story time somewhere and will stop over with them for half an hour or so afterwards today.

Of the trick or treaters I had last night, a lot where driven in.  What I enjoyed seeing, besides the real little ones, were the teen/pre teens 12-13 of age who took the time to actually make themselves up in costumes.  probably their last year going out - with their giant pillow cases they hoped to fill!  I got a kick out of the young ones who when they saw the bags I had made up said, "Oh, goodie bags!  Thank you!"  And when I was down to the nitty gritty, one little kid was so excited about the pkg of pop rocks I dropped into his sack!  Little pleasures, make the effort worthwhile.

Well, I'm hungry this morning, maybe make up a batch of scones for my breakfast and to share with GD for her to take home.

Hope everyone  had a fun Halloween night.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I just had a piece of almond poppyseed bread - a new recipe I tried the other day.  Tweaked it a bit and will try it once more with even more tweaks to make sure it is a keeper.  I try at least one new breakfast bread/coffee cake recipe every year at this time with an eye to Thanksgiving mornings and presents at Christmas time.  This year I am trying three!

I poked my head outdoors at 6 am - pitch black, but warm and the crickets were singing away - what crazy weather for November 1st!  Oh yeah - guess I will go see if we have a Nov. thread yet and post this there too!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. No school for DS today, it's parent/ teacher conference day. I was in to the homeroom/math/religion teacher at 7:15. I have the English/Literature at 12:15 and the science teacher at 12:30. He's home alone today, but at 13, he's fine. Told him to make sure he has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.
    tt, we got a couple of kids that DS was mad at because they didn't say trick or treat or thank you! But other then that he had fun. Glad you get to see the two pumpkins today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, and a warm one it is.  

Too bad about the plans falling through, tt, but like you say, at least you didn't jump through big hoops on assumptions.

No trick or treat or thank you, just a grab of the candy?!  Who raises these kids, wolves?

We don't get kids on our country road; no little ones live on it, and it's out of the way for others.

dh leaving for a meeting out this way in 15 minutes so my whole day is pushed off, and with so much to do!  Heading out right after he leaves to get brunch, hit the grocery store, and pick up an enameled Dutch oven; I want to make the stew today and leave it in the pot to reheat tomorrow, and I can't do that in my exposed cast iron.  then, I'll have to throw something together for dinner and clean for my guest tomorrow.

very windy, but at least not cold and no rain right now.  TGIF, everyone!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar we are posting in November thread. :)

Sections
Shortcuts